Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Seriously?

Beckham came off the back of all that world cup shite and was a major part in Utd winning 3 trophies the following year. He came second to Rivaldo for world player of the year, he should probably have won it. For the next 3/4 years he was one of the best footballers in the world. He won everybody around because of how he played, nobody gave a shit about anything else.

Maguire has gone to two tournaments witth England got to a semi final and a final and has been very poor since the whole Greece thing. Even worse since the Euro finals. I am really not sure about his ability to put his detractors in their place by performing to the highest level on the pitch. He might get some confidence back and do it to some extent at another club, but it won't be at Utd and certainly won't be in anywhere near the fashion that Beckham did it.
That's not actually true. He had a shocking month or two after that happened, but then he turned it around and hit probably the best form of his career in the second half of that season. It looked like, after 18 months of inconsistent form, he'd finally stepped up to the level we needed him to be and he continued that good form into the Euro's. God only knows what happened after that as he's struggled massively in the 14 months or so since.

Member 101269

This is the Twitter generation in a nutshell. Post a random clip of a ‘mistake’ and put a load of laughing faces to coherence people into believing what they want. Every player makes mistakes, you could literally make a compilation of errors for every player but Maguire has just been focussed on.

In this clip that isn’t even bad defending btw.He knows the striker is still behind him and it’s better to be safe than sorry.
He put's it out because he 1) he doesn't look around himself to identify any threats. He may as well have blinkers on and run in a donkey derby. and or 2) either DDG doesn't give him a shout, or he doesn't listen to a shout.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
If the alleged communication issues related to DDG were actually true, well, it should be just as true now. More so maybe now that we don't play with 3 English defenders. We have 2 French, 1 Portuguese and 1 Argentinian all with the same Spanish GK behind them. Last season we had 3 English defenders in the starting lineup.
It’s also still completely true. De Gea remains a liability and is guaranteed to let us down again before long for which the CBs will get the blame.

TrustInJanuzaj

I think the reasons Maguire more abuse than many deem appropriate are the following:

• His fee
  • Becoming captain
  • Being deluded (see interviews or the finger in ear celebration)
  • Him being undroppable for so long
  • Being poor for the majority of his United career and shocking in plenty of games
  • Doing absolutely ridiculous things on an number of occasions e.g. taking out his own players
  • Hard to qualify this in text but his on field big time Charlie persona where he has to be the one to get on the ball (resulting in taking out his own teammates) and hanging onto the ball like he's about to go on a mazy run, only to just look silly.

Granted, some of these aren't his fault, but the combination of the above so consistently is why he gets the hate he does. A lot of players may have some of the above trait but he embodies all of them.
Half of these things are you just looking with blinkers on. Look at these things objectively and you’ll see 75% of that stuff is nonsense.

phelans shorts

He put's it out because he 1) he doesn't look around himself to identify any threats. He may as well have blinkers on and run in a donkey derby. and or 2) either DDG doesn't give him a shout, or he doesn't listen to a shout.
I know he’s not in the Spain reckoning but I didn’t realise Dave was England keeper now. A bold selection.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
@JPRouve they're finally starting to pick up on it.
It took them a long time, it was very obvious early on when Ole seemingly instructed to play a high line. The other issue that people will start to point one day is that Maguire is a soft defender, he isn't a traditional defender nor a throwback one, he refuses to be physical and bully opponents despite his massive frame. In 1986 Maguire wouldn't make the bench because he lacks aggression.

Last edited:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I don't know if the quotes are true, I mean it wasnt even him saying all these stuffs.
But whatever it is I feel like more people will warm up to him more if he says something like "I will work hard and follow the boss instructions to get better, it's for the club and the fans". The blaming and finger pointing won't get him anywhere now that he's become a meme. He doesn't need to make his team mates bad in order to make himself look good.

UpWithRivers

I wish people saying its not his fault we paid so much money for him as an excuse that he is rated at a higher standard than he is. Its nonsense. Lets say Im a developer working for a mid range company and then the big boys Google/Apple poach me and pay me triple wages. When I take the job I know I have to go up levels and be 100 percent 24/7. Anything else is unacceptable. I cant be sht and say 'Oh its not my fault you paid me so much. You thought I was better than I am.' Nope its not how it works. Its implied and known when you step into a big club the expectations are higher and its known if its a higher wage you are expected to be at a higher level. If you cant handle it dont take the job. Lots of people dont because they know they cant do what's expected.

AlPistacho

So if you criticise a professional footballer on obscene amounts of money a week, who is the captain of your club (and a poor one at that), who frequently delivers shite performances - it’s seen as you’re ‘doing it for clicks’.

What an arrogant muppet this guy is.
You’re doing it for clicks or you’re an idiot. However, that mentality started before Maguire/Williams . I’ve long heard undertones of that, where footballers/managers say it without saying it. Maguire/Williams are the first to just outright say it

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
It took them a long time, it was very obvious early on when Ole seemingly instructed to play a high line. The other issue that people start to point one day is that Maguire is a soft defender, he isn't a traditional defender nor a throwback one, he refuses to be physical and bully opponents despite his massive frame. In 1986 Maguire wouldn't make the bench because he lacks aggression.
Tactically, it's there to be exploited by any coaching staff or players doing their homework.

Yes, no kind of throwback because the principles of cynical defending are completely absent. Every time he's call old school, I wonder what kind of old school that person is referring to.

JPRouve

Scout
Matic being the voice of reason. Good on him!
I don't know where the reason is in that statement. There is nothing about this topic outside of that sentence, should Maguire be exempt of criticism? Keep in mind that Maguire was himself happy to publicly point the finger at his teammates not so long ago. Maguire shouldn't be insulted or slandered but there shouldn't be issues with criticism about his game and limitations.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
He had the unwavering support of both manager and united fans, yes maybe he deserved it, but since you raise the point about mental fortitude, then it's not quite the same situation. I actually think if Maguire somehow overcomes all this, he'd be stronger than becks.
And a better crosser as well.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
I don't know where the reason is in that statement. There is nothing about this topic outside of that sentence, should Maguire be exempt of criticism? Keep in mind that Maguire was himself happy to publicly point the finger at his teammates not so long ago. Maguire shouldn't be insulted or slandered but there shouldn't be issues with criticism about his game and limitations.
Should have made clear I meant in regards to insults coming his way. I agree with your post.

mu4c_20le

I don't know if the quotes are true, I mean it wasnt even him saying all these stuffs.
But whatever it is I feel like more people will warm up to him more if he says something like "I will work hard and follow the boss instructions to get better, it's for the club and the fans". The blaming and finger pointing won't get him anywhere now that he's become a meme. He doesn't need to make his team mates bad in order to make himself look good.
My first thought was that it came from someone in his family, like his sister or wife. The DDG comments suggests its someone that reads twitter, so probably not his mum. If they do come from him then its pretty bad of course.
And a better crosser as well.
:lol:

Zippycup

There's a difference between justifiable criticism, unjustifiable criticism, critical criticism and outright abuse.

I don't think anyone has every said Maguire should be free from justifiable criticism.

JPRouve

Scout
There's a difference between justifiable criticism, unjustifiable criticism, critical criticism and outright abuse.

I don't think anyone has every said Maguire should be free from justifiable criticism.
And the article doesn't make the distinction which is my point. Also abuse isn't criticism, if that's what they are talking about then just mention it otherwise the point made is wrong.

TsuWave

This is the Twitter generation in a nutshell. Post a random clip of a ‘mistake’ and put a load of laughing faces to coherence people into believing what they want. Every player makes mistakes, you could literally make a compilation of errors for every player but Maguire has just been focussed on.

In this clip that isn’t even bad defending btw.He knows the striker is still behind him and it’s better to be safe than sorry.
You said a whole lot of nothing to be fair. “Twitter generation in a nutshell”. Give over.

Guy posted a video and laughed. If that’s going to coerce people into anything then :lol: Also, at no point is it said that other players don’t make mistakes and that compilations can’t be made out of them, but people have the capacity to speak about specific players, and he chose to speak about Maguire.

And in the clip, if the “safer than sorry” was his approach, booting the ball up the pitch surely would have been the safer option rather than conceding a corner, no? Horrible spatial awareness, which is a recurrent theme with him

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
I am outside of this maelstrom because I don't even have a twitter account. For people living in the UK where it is easy to be exposed to all this publicity, I can understand people being fed up with the criticism of even someone like Maguire. However, I do think he is a bad footballer, though his price tag, lifestyle, and fame and wages don't affect my opinion of him. As long as I am able to think my thoughts about how I view Maguire, I am happy. I don't need to broadcast my reactions to his various performances and PR miscues to feel comfortable in my skin.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I am outside of this maelstrom because I don't even have a twitter account. For people living in the UK where it is easy to be exposed to all this publicity, I can understand people being fed up with the criticism of even someone like Maguire. However, I do think he is a bad footballer, though his price tag, lifestyle, and fame and wages don't affect my opinion of him. As long as I am able to think my thoughts about how I view Maguire, I am happy. I don't need to broadcast my reactions to his various performances and PR miscues to feel comfortable in my skin.
Just post them on an internet forum instead?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I fundamentally disagree. Public figures should not address every bad rumour or media article just because it creates a negative public perception for them. 99% of the cases when such are addressed, the problem deepens. People will always say "he is on the defensive because he is in the wrong". In my opinion, and experience, ignoring bad press is the best course of action.

How many articles we've seen about our managers treating players/staff/whoever badly? How many of them have been addressed by the managers?

Same with every manager of every club.
And don't get me started on directors and owners...
Most rumours are ignored. For example no one gives a feck what Goldbridge or Goal say. However this is not a normal rumour. It was a rumour pushed by Ogden on ESPN and which spread like wildfire. Both media outlet and journalist are considered reputable. A rumour of such magnitude needs to be tackled. However if that had to happen then there's every chance that ESPN or Ogden would be forced to defend their own reputation by exposing the source. That wouldn't be an issue if Maguire was innocent but it would make him look silly if it came from someone close to his camp like for example his agent.

TBH what Maguire's camp probably did made perfect sense. The guy is left rotting on the bench something that is devastating for his career. Football has a very short memory and the last thing a nearly 30 year old CB want is to be remembered as the most expensive flop in football history. The same thing can be said about Henderson ie a goalkeeper who was once considered as the next big thing for England while at Sheffield United only to be left to rot at United. Our club had built a reputation of being happy to let players and their careers rot in the bench unless clubs are willing to meet their overpriced valuation. That might serve the club well but it's a massive hit towards players who actually want to have a productive football career. Which means that we're giving these sort of players no choice but to go on a full scorched earth tactic just to push the club to sell them on a more reasonable price

TrustInJanuzaj

You said a whole lot of nothing to be fair. “Twitter generation in a nutshell”. Give over.

Guy posted a video and laughed. If that’s going to coerce people into anything then :lol: Also, at no point is it said that other players don’t make mistakes and that compilations can’t be made out of them, but people have the capacity to speak about specific players, and he chose to speak about Maguire.

And in the clip, if the “safer than sorry” was his approach, booting the ball up the pitch surely would have been the safer option rather than conceding a corner, no? Horrible spatial awareness, which is a recurrent theme with him
Give it a rest

studs

It was the fans and media who put Maguire on this pedestal when they tried to over rate a nobody into a somebody.

Last edited:

AlPistacho

Matic: People are abusing Maguire
This is really annoying. Criticising a player is not abuse. We are all smart enough to know what abuse is, it takes the form of attacking someone for their race, religion, sexuality, or aspects of their personality/life that have nothing to do with football eg Pogba, Rashford, and before social media Beckham. No doubt there are other examples.

With Maguire what we have seen is an outcry from United fans because at first he seemed undroppable and immune to criticism from the media & pundits. Then when he was dropped we saw satisfaction and gloating that finally he had been dropped and United were better off for it; who doesn’t like to be proved right?
Now what we’re seeing is a response to his blame shifting , arrogance /delusion , and the people attacking fans in their attempt to defend him.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Zippycup

A source close to Maguire who isn't actually close to Maguire

georgipep

Most rumours are ignored. For example no one gives a feck what Goldbridge or Goal say. However this is not a normal rumour. It was a rumour pushed by Ogden on ESPN and which spread like wildfire. Both media outlet and journalist are considered reputable. A rumour of such magnitude needs to be tackled. However if that had to happen then there's every chance that ESPN or Ogden would be forced to defend their own reputation by exposing the source. That wouldn't be an issue if Maguire was innocent but it would make him look silly if it came from someone close to his camp like for example his agent.

TBH what Maguire's camp probably did made perfect sense. The guy is left rotting on the bench something that is devastating for his career. Football has a very short memory and the last thing a nearly 30 year old CB want is to be remembered as the most expensive flop in football history. The same thing can be said about Henderson ie a goalkeeper who was once considered as the next big thing for England while at Sheffield United only to be left to rot at United. Our club had built a reputation of being happy to let players and their careers rot in the bench unless clubs are willing to meet their overpriced valuation. That might serve the club well but it's a massive hit towards players who actually want to have a productive football career. Which means that we're giving these sort of players no choice but to go on a full scorched earth tactic just to push the club to sell them on a more reasonable price
Again, I disagree, both in your opinion of media and journalist, as well as of the necessity to respond to such a rumour.

And the idea that if the public figure goes out to deny rumours, then the journalist/media need to defend their own reputation is simply not true. Journalists will always claim they will protect their sources and a reveal would only happen if there is an actual lawsuit about false claims.

Maguire will look silly if he steps forward to deny the rumours. There is no win for him here if he speaks.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
So Maguire apparently also said England were let down by their attack :lol: . This guy never takes responsibility

AlPistacho

You’re doing it for clicks or you’re an idiot. However, that mentality started before Maguire/Williams . I’ve long heard undertones of that, where footballers/managers say it without saying it. Maguire/Williams are the first to just outright say it
Hi, this post was not an insult to the person I replied to. It was basically speaking about Williams and Maguire’s recent comments which I clearly disagree with as I think it shows a disrespect to the views of football fans.

jackal&hyde

I wish people saying its not his fault we paid so much money for him as an excuse that he is rated at a higher standard than he is. Its nonsense. Lets say Im a developer working for a mid range company and then the big boys Google/Apple poach me and pay me triple wages. When I take the job I know I have to go up levels and be 100 percent 24/7. Anything else is unacceptable. I cant be sht and say 'Oh its not my fault you paid me so much. You thought I was better than I am.' Nope its not how it works. Its implied and known when you step into a big club the expectations are higher and its known if its a higher wage you are expected to be at a higher level. If you cant handle it dont take the job. Lots of people dont because they know they cant do what's expected.
I agree. There are players that can become even better when getting a big move (Martinez) and others that crumble or get comfortable. Maguire for sure did not go up levels at United. The sounds we are getting now, most likely from his agents, make him look very poor. For all the issues of pace, the most distressing one is about ambition IMO. Not a Man Utd player.

mu4c_20le

Hi, this post was not an insult to the person I replied to. It was basically speaking about Williams and Maguire’s recent comments which I clearly disagree with as I think it shows a disrespect to the views of football fans.
Well Matic basically just said they have no lives of their own so they criticize him instead. Clearly there is a disconnect between professional footballers and your perceived view as a fan.

AlPistacho

Well Matic basically just said they have no lives of their own so they criticize him instead. Clearly there is a disconnect between professional footballers and your perceived view as a fan.
I agree. In their ideal world fans would come to matches, cheer, buy merchandise go home click, like and share their posts and have no opinion other than blind faith.

Williams / Matic could have easily defended Maguire without throwing fans under the bus. Eg “yeah his out the team, it happens to everyone but he’s a top pro and will take his chance when it comes” type of comment. No rational fan would feel offended by that comment and opinion.

phelans shorts

I agree. In their ideal world fans would come to matches, cheer, buy merchandise go home click, like and share their posts and have no opinion other than blind faith.

Williams / Matic could have easily defended Maguire without throwing fans under the bus. Eg “yeah his out the team, it happens to everyone but he’s a top pro and will take his chance when it comes” type of comment. No rational fan would feel offended by that comment and opinion.
To be honest, no rational fan would be offended by what they have said either.

justsomebloke

I fundamentally disagree. Public figures should not address every bad rumour or media article just because it creates a negative public perception for them. 99% of the cases when such are addressed, the problem deepens. People will always say "he is on the defensive because he is in the wrong". In my opinion, and experience, ignoring bad press is the best course of action.

How many articles we've seen about our managers treating players/staff/whoever badly? How many of them have been addressed by the managers?

Same with every manager of every club.
And don't get me started on directors and owners...
I agree with you on that. He can always address it behind closed doors to teammates, that's what matters.

Provided of course it's not coming from him, or his people.

little.triangles

A source close to Maguire who isn't actually close to Maguire
How did you or the author of that tweet get that from that clip? All Ogden confirmed there was that the source wasn't Maguire himself and not that the source wasn't close to Maguire!

Status
Not open for further replies.