Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I’ve defended him at times but that was abysmal. Some of those passes :lol:

He takes way too long to pick a pass so that by the time he does it the receiver is under pressure or the angle has gone. It’s ridiculous how much he dithers.

IRELANDUNITED

I don’t usually criticise players but he isn’t good enough to be playing or captaining this club. 80m for him is possibly our worst ever transfer. He’ll be off to Everton in the summer.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Some of Maguire's concessions of possession today were heart stopping. The one in the first half where he was dawdling until the Leeds player was right on top of him and intercepted his weak back pass. :eek:

He's just not up to it at this level. Varane has levels on Maguire.

Stadjer

Didnt expect a clean sheet with him in the team so in that sense he did well. However he tried his best to prevent the clean sheet. Gifted Leeds a chance after 30 minutes. Also lost a few important headers while defending. That is supposed to be his strenght. I know he cant win them all but he does lose a heading duel way too often. McKennie (?) had a decent chance from a corner because he got the jump on Maguire for example.

He is not only slow when it comes to running but his (football) brain is also slow. All the touches, the pointing, another touch and followed by a cross pass that sometimes works but also often just gives the ball to the other team. He just makes the whole team slow.

I really hope he is sold next summer. The difference between him and Martinez is huge. Martinez came on, his pass started of the chance where Dalot hits the bar and one moment after that Maguire passes the ball out of play after a little bit of pressure on him. And no, Maguire isnt better on the ball than Varane :lol:

Sylar

He clearly wanted to give the ball away so that the opposition could attack him and he could show his defensive abilities...

Clearly

:nervous:

Tbh what more can you say. Except hopefully there's a manager who thinks they can buy him and use him well maybe in a back three

Stadjer

fecking laughing at everyone saying he'll be a dependable CB. What the feck has he done to show you he's dependable? He's quite the opposite, he'd have had the same shit game at West Ham that he had for United today.
He will usually make atleast one mistake or do something that leads to a chance to an opponent. Be it a bad pass, getting passed by an agile opponent or storming in, missing the tackle and leave a huge gap behind him. I dont find that very dependable. He isnt injured often. Thats the ony thing you can really count on.

OverratedOpinion

I think he is the biggest reason for our poor performances last season if you were forced to pin it on 1 player. Even more than mistakes in defence I think him playing almost assures that our midfielders or attackers will be completely marked towards the touchline by the time they get the ball due to how slowly he releases the ball.

gza the genius

Even when he isn't making blatantly obvious mistakes he's just so bad for how we are trying to play. Every single thing he does slows down the play and we play noticeably deeper when he's in as well.

ti vu

I’ve defended him at times but that was abysmal. Some of those passes :lol:

He takes way too long to pick a pass so that by the time he does it the receiver is under pressure or the angle has gone. It’s ridiculous how much he dithers.
Perhaps, it's me finding a new scapegoat, but beside couple typical brainfart passes, it's not his fault that he waa forced to dither, and hoof ball.

WW is terrible. Both games, switching Rashford changed the game for the better for us. WW made it too easy for Leeds to compact the pitch, and press. They didn't have to worry about him running in behind. Our wide attackers, and midfielders got crowded out and nullified mostly.

Impossible to play the ball. If you see Varane thread mid week, it almost paints the same picture about our CB had a difficult time when WW was leading the line, and improved once Rashford stayed there instead.

Last edited:

girish

I too love women...for their shoes.
Las time I was in this much panic, was when Ben Foster was starting for us. May be that's unfair to Foster. Our greatest achievement today is not scoring two, but not conceding any. Better than Varane on the ball, my ass.

Dominos

There are still people after all these years that consider him a ball playing centre back.

What takes an average player 1 second to complete, it takes Maguire 3 seconds.

He's more error prone playing out from the back than any other player we have. Those passes straight to Leeds were comical.

Valencia Shin Crosses

He will usually make atleast one mistake or do something that leads to a chance to an opponent. Be it a bad pass, getting passed by an agile opponent or storming in, missing the tackle and leave a huge gap behind him. I dont find that very dependable. He isnt injured often. Thats the ony thing you can really count on.
Exactly. "Dependable" to me is a defender that won't do anything exceptionally flashy, but will carry out his job consistently and won't feck it up for you either way. This clown is the opposite, he's just always fit.

Genuinely one of my least favorite footballers to ever play for the club, as I think he embodies everything we should strive not to be.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I went and took a shit and came back and he still had the ball at his feet waving his arms about

BorisManUtd

Don't think there's anything left to be said on Maguire and it seems like it's a clear situation. Solid player but not good enough for a top team. Everton/West Ham/Leicester is about his level. Too slow, takes him years to make a decision. Today he had 3-4 crazy mistakes.

Hopefully he doesn't start in most of the remaining games this season. Could be valuable for us coming into the game towards the end when we need his height though. Then a transfer in summer.

HookedOnAPhelan

People saying he's better on the ball than Varane :lol: :lol:

Still boggles the mind that Solskjaer saw fit to give him the captaincy
Yeah that's nonsense. Varane is far from great but he at least has the self-awareness to know his own limits, which is why he usually avoids the idiotic mistakes Maguire constantly makes.

Fr. Todd Unctious

Exactly. "Dependable" to me is a defender that won't do anything exceptionally flashy, but will carry out his job consistently and won't feck it up for you either way. This clown is the opposite, he's just always fit.

Genuinely one of my least favorite footballers to ever play for the club, as I think he embodies everything we should strive not to be.

First time I've genuinely destested a player at the club that was for reasons of performances as opposed to say someone like Heinze where they were looking to force a move to Liverpool

Cloud7

The problem with saying "he was mostly good but had a few bad moments" is that against a better team giving the ball away like he did will likely lead to them scoring against us, in which case, no he was not mostly good.

Doracle

Good performance generally, albeit understandably a bit rusty with his passing. Good that we got to give him 90 minutes as there’s always a chance we will be without Varane for a few games.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I think we should generally ban all posters who think being good with the ball means fannying with the ball and taking 16 extra touches to make himself feel better, because they obviously have no idea how football works and are actually making him think he is good with the ball.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
If this Maytag can figure out how to pass his easily won headers (like varane) he can become double the player

Also pass your interceptions (like casemiro) don’t punt it like a Sunday league slab head he might become a decent defender

Mainoldo

Some bits of sloppy play. But was happy he came out the game with a clean sheet.

This is a different energy this year. I want a good harmony within our squad. We will need Maguire throughout the season.

Last edited:

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Let's pray Notts Forest stay up. They could save us and take Maguire. Everton too perhaps.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
What is this PR offensive in the post match interview?

Asking him about starting as if he's Bobby Moore and if he hopes to be more involved.

Joke the soft touch the press are on him.
Him mentioning himself being the captain of this team did my head in. PR Maguire. Can't wait to see the back of him.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Did most of the nuts and bolts defending ok, apart from the handball that he got away with in the second half. On the ball he was truly unwatchable, so slow and there for the taking by the Leeds press.

mikeyt

There are a number of squad players that aren't up to it at this club. However how this guy is even allowed to sit on the bench given his ability to play football is astounding and shows just how far we've fallen.

Fortunately we have a progressive manager who has identified this. That being said if ETH hangs on to him after this summer I'd have to strongly question him.

RedKing91

He looks so clueless with the ball. Reminds me of an oil tanker at rough sea

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
He's got to be one of the weirdest defender I've ever seen, one moment he looks good next minute he's putting up Titus Bramble level performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.