Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

fallengt

Giving Maguire the armband was the strangest decision Ole made.
I don't care how good Maguire is for England, He's clearly not a Man United's player

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
It’s crazy to think Pep Guardiola put a bid in for him.
Pep seem to utilise a buy, play and if not good enough then sell type of strategy. He can't be too bothered in bringing in the wrong player as that player would find himself first on the bench and then out of the club soon enough. United can't do that. If we spend 80m on a player then we have to make it work.

Lentwood

Maguire can be slow on the ball at times but to pin all of our problems in possession on him yesterday is unfair.

With Weghorst as the #9 and Sancho/Bruno as two of the three AMs we lacked the pace to threaten Leeds in behind. Not to mention the fact that Fred is poor on the half-turn and DDG is shaky in possession. Its no wonder we struggled.

As soon as Rashford went central and Garnacho came on Leeds started dropping off and we found more pockets of space

Sure, Martinez is a much better passer than Maguire but also Martinez benefitted from a better setup. Usually he would have Casemiro and Eriksen too and all of a sudden we're a much better team

Mr. Ant

Good performance given he's a fourth choice CB but clearly our defence is so much better with Varane.

Hopefully we can sell him in the summer so that he can move on and play regularly but we need a younger defender who is better suited to Erik's demands and on a lower wages as well.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Really disappointing that not a single weakness he has ever improves. What do they do in training with him? That inability to learn and adapt is as big a death knell to him as what he delivers on the pitch most of the time is.

The indecisiveness; the laborious execution; the response times (that lagged comment is very apt); the misjudgements that lead to 'brainfarts', none of it improves - to the point you could rub the dates off posts in relation to games and genuinely not know what month or season is even be referenced, because it's always the same.

Lord Zlatan

Really disappointing that not a single weakness he has ever improves. What do they do in training with him? That inability to learn and adapt is as big a death knell to him as what he delivers on the pitch most of the time is.

The indecisiveness; the laborious execution; the response times (that lagged comment is very apt); the misjudgements that lead to 'brainfarts', none of it improves - to the point you could rub the dates off posts in relation to games and genuinely not know what month or season is even be referenced, because it's always the same.
Those "qualities" cant be coached out of him. Hes slow and not a good passer of the ball. Would suit a team with a different style of play, but just slows us down and affects the entire team.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Those "qualities" cant be coached out of him. Hes slow and not a good passer of the ball. Would suit a team with a different style of play, but just slows us down and affects the entire team.
But you'd like to think they can be improved upon, or reduced somewhat, not for him to be the same as he always is, all the time.

It's interesting how some players can pick up or improve upon things late in their careers whilst others are the definition of old dog with new tricks.

Tango80

He's generally been OK this season. Not great, not especially bad (other than the first 2 games of the season when everyone was poor), just Ok. Kept a fair few clean sheets when he has played I think.

Obviously there's a massive agenda from a certain type of fans with him, I don't think anyone can deny that. The hate he gets is well over the top. Makes me defend him a little bit more of I'm honest. There were worse performers than him in defence yesterday, but guess who got the most abuse? No surprises there.

Could do with moving him on in the summer, but he's good enough for a top 10 club for sure. It's just not really working out for him here.

Strelok

His problem is he has slow legs and slow brain. ETH might fix the brain but it's simply impossible to fix the legs. He's just not suited to our current style and the sooner he leaves the better for all parties imo. Problem is his wages. He could do pretty well in a mid table team playing with a low line. Like he did at Leicester or under Ole. But none of those teams could pay his current wages I think.

Anyway I do hope ETH could tell him to or he could just stop thinking he's Scholes reborn and cut the shit with those long passes. As long as he can keep it simple, do his part in the headers and pass the ball to the next player without taking 5 seconds to do that his performance would massively improve imo.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He plays defence like handball player. Runs into player with full force and grabs him with his hands. It is a miracle how he still didn't made a foul for penalty.
Also what annoys me the most; he is too busy pointing around and in all that he is the one who forgots a player.
Yesterday he was awful;
1) slow on the ball. Needs ages to pass that bloody ball.
2) passing the ball to player who is already marked (and it is very slow ball often)
3) forgot a player on a near post
4) lost a header which should have been a goal
5) lost a ball as a last player
6) stupid fouls in dangerous zone
7) two times grabbed a player in penalty box

He is walking disaster

He plays defence like handball player. Runs into player with full force and grabs him with his hands. It is a miracle how he still didn't made a foul for penalty.
Also what annoys me the most; he is too busy pointing around and in all that he is the one who forgots a player.
Yesterday he was awful;
2) passing the ball to player who is already marked (and it is very slow ball often)

He is walking disaster
Unfortunately I have to agree with this assessment. He is so slow in thought and action it drags the whole team down. He got caught in possession in the first half which Leeds should have scored from. The difference in the speed of our passing when Varane or Martiinez receive the ball compared to Maguire is night and day, plus they tend to look for the forward pass much more often. Martinez upped our tempo so much yesterday when he came on.
Harry can sit deep and defend pretty well, he would be an ideal centre half for Conte, Moyes or Dyche, he just will not work in the tempo that Ten Hag is trying to play at.

Shalashaska

The sad thing about that performance from Maguire was watching the Leeds players use him as a trigger for the press, they gave him all the time on the ball he wanted without pressing once, they picked up their markers and waited for him to pass. The moment he passed out it would go to a player under pressure and the ball would come straight back to him to ponder on or we lost possession.

Once we went a goal up the Leeds players had to press to try to win the ball back and he actually looked better because there was so much more space to play a short pass and look for a counter. But we are building towards being a ball dominating team, and it just isn't a team he can play him.

He seems like a decent bloke, and I think he genuinely cares about the team and loves being United captain, but he needs to move on to a team more suited to him. If Dyche and Everton are still in the league next season he would elevate them massively and probably look an absolute world beater.

Mike Smalling

Yesterday he was awful;

He is walking disaster
Absolutely.

I have sympathy for him, in the sense that he is in over his head and it's not his fault that the club paid a record fee for him. But I hope everyone, including himself, sees that this is not working out, so they can find the right new club for him in the summer - preferably one that will pay a transfer fee, but that is honestly secondary. He still has good years left of his career - I hope he realizes they shouldn't be spent on being a benched captain.

Oranges038

Yesterday he was awful;

He is walking disaster
And the one where he didn't even know where the ball had gone in the box.

OL29

He's generally been OK this season. Not great, not especially bad (other than the first 2 games of the season when everyone was poor), just Ok. Kept a fair few clean sheets when he has played I think.

Obviously there's a massive agenda from a certain type of fans with him, I don't think anyone can deny that. The hate he gets is well over the top. Makes me defend him a little bit more of I'm honest. There were worse performers than him in defence yesterday, but guess who got the most abuse? No surprises there.

Could do with moving him on in the summer, but he's good enough for a top 10 club for sure. It's just not really working out for him here.
Who was worse than him in defence? The abuse he gets is obviously ott but if we’re being honest with ourselves he’s a problem in most games he plays.

OmarUnited4ever

Aside from the feck-up with the ball that Harrison nicked from him, the 2 straight giveaways to Leeds and his long balls to the left , aside from those he was fine really, and although he was slow with the ball, we as a team for 80 mins fell to Leeds' tactics which squeezed the middle and pressed our build-up, even Shaw was slow with the ball he just didn't hang to it as long as Maguire did but basically passed it sideways or backwards, DDG didn't help as he is not good enough to pass it to our midfielders/attackers when Leeds players come rushing to press.

Doracle

Aside from the feck-up with the ball that Harrison nicked from him, the 2 straight giveaways to Leeds and his long balls to the left , aside from those he was fine really, and although he was slow with the ball, we as a team for 80 mins fell to Leeds' tactics which squeezed the middle and pressed our build-up, even Shaw was slow with the ball he just didn't hang to it as long as Maguire did but basically passed it sideways or backwards, DDG didn't help as he is not good enough to pass it to our midfielders/attackers when Leeds players come rushing to press.
Yeah, Maguire was trying to be progressive, whereas the rest of our defence just kept passing it back to him. Problem was that our midfield is incredibly poor on the ball without Cas and Eriksen and we had limited movement upfront.

Bruno should have probably dropped deeper to try and give us a bit more control but, as it was, Maguire was left with limited options. I’d go as far as to say he was probably one of our best performers yesterday, even though his passing wasn’t up to his usual standard.

Edit - I also think Erik got the selection quite badly wrong yesterday. Unless Martinez was carrying some sort of injury, he obviously should have started, given he’s out on Thursday anyway. Put him in, with Shaw at LB, and we immediately look far more progressive. As it was, we basically had Malacia, an out of form Dalot, Fred and Sabitzer as the players meant to be linking to the front players. They simply aren’t good enough to do that.

Kag

He’s playing himself out of the club, sadly for him. People were laughing at him inside the bar I was watching it.

His dallying on the ball is criminal.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
It's quite sad to see any player torn down in the way that he has been.

There is literally no slack given for any aspect of his game that isn't tip top, despite the fact that he hasn't played much football and has had his confidence destroyed by a widespread witch hunt which stems from, basically, nothing much and has been led by our own fanbase.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Yes, needs to be quicker to release the ball. There was a period where he was working on it and crossing it early to the left winger but yesterday was back to old ways sadly.

youngrell

The difference between the passes through the lines Varane was playing at speed on Weds compared to Maguire yesterday was startling. And then the quality and stability Martinez showed in comparison when he arrived was just laughable.

I don't think the midfield helped in either game, but the difference in finding solutions from Varane and Martinez was a totally different level.

GueRed

Looked understandably rusty, apparently that's his first Premier League away start since August.

ten Hag said he started him for "tactical and rotational" reasons and thought he "did well"..

Apart from a couple of moments (he wasnt the only one) overall defensively he was very solid.

The Maguire haters on my twitter timeline are actually gutted because we won with him in the team! :lol:

I honestly feel if that first half mistake led to a goal the clowns would be happy as feck.

Have a day off plastics.

Tony247

I don't know if it is just him but whenever he plays to me it seems our defence is always in panic mode.

Tap

To me he's Fellaini 2.0. Always annoyed when I see his name in the line up. Even more annoyed when I watch(ed) them play. He always looks like he doesn't know what to do when he gets the ball and when he finally does decide to do something with it there's a 50/50 chance it lands in the opponents feet. Its not all his fault because I disliked the lack of movement from almost the entire team today, but it's not just today. For a team that wants to play from the back I don't think there's another professional defender out there in Europe that sucks out the tempo as much as he does. Can't wait to see him leave the club.
Even Fellaini had his good moments and games, the Europa Final in 2017 being the standout.

Can’t recall Maguire having dominant or match winning performances for us.

Kostov

Stop thinking you are Franz Beckenbauer and focus on not fecking up Harry. Thank feck we didn't concede after that colossal feck up, he would have been eaten alive.

poleglass red

He had a couple of feck ups that could have been costly, but considering how little football he has played, I thought he did okay. I am not a big fan of his, I feel the backline never looks secure with him in it, but in fairness to the backline, they played in a very hostile atmosphere and kept a clean sheet against a side that put 2 past us at Old Trafford 4 days previously. Right now he is a back up defender there to give a break to Varane, who let's be honest, was poor in that 2-2 game. I'd imagine or rather hope v Barca it will be Varane and Shaw, with Malacia at full back.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
He was passing the ball straight to Leeds players for around 15-20 minutes once the 2nd half started constantly inviting pressure. Also, he was visibly nervous and it only got worse after the feck ups accumulated with him being shit scared of releasing the ball anywhere which was probably the reason why Martinez went in. But to give him some kind of break, putting him back on hot seat at Elland Road was always risky.

Still, calling that performance better than Varane's few days ago is nonsense.
Varane was at fault for the second goal. How many goals did Maguire cause? Also, Maguire's passing was 86% and he had more passes than anyone on the team. In fact, nobody even came close to him. Maguire had 127 passes. Dalot had the second most with 63.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
Varane was at fault for the second goal. How many goals did Maguire cause? Also, Maguire's passing was 86% and he had more passes than anyone on the team. In fact, nobody even came close to him. Maguire had 127 passes. Dalot had the second most with 63.
That stat means absolutely nothing because that was Leeds' gameplan. Just as how they let Fred have the ball in the first game knowing he would feck up, they did the same with Maguire who kept slowing down the pace and passing sideways. Of course you get more passes off when the opposition let you do whatever you want because they know nothing good comes out of it.

Velvet Revolver

One of the most important things in a defender is the ability to read the game and having the physical awareness. He lacks both along with other abilities. He is a average player and would not have been discussed to no end if he was playing anywhere else simple as that.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
Stepping in at CB with our best players around him, I'd trust him... but without Antony, Eriksen, Casemiro our game suffers in all areas and it really exposes Maguire.

Swiss_Red89

I was never a Maguire hater...but I really can't stand his playing style anymore.

Why is he always taking 4-5 touches on the ball before passing it sideways to the other centerback? It infurated me yesterday. He slows things down a lot nearly everytime he gets the ball.

Wing Attack Plan R

It's quite sad to see any player torn down in the way that he has been.

There is literally no slack given for any aspect of his game that isn't tip top, despite the fact that he hasn't played much football and has had his confidence destroyed by a widespread witch hunt which stems from, basically, nothing much and has been led by our own fanbase.
I think it has more to do with Maguire fans than Maguire himself. When ETH was hired, this board lit up with people saying how great Maguire was going to be in the new system, and calling people out for having the nerve to suggest the 80 million club captain wouldn’t start, further compounded when Martinez came in, people saying he was bought to be backup to Maguire. So when you get all these wildly wrong hot takes over and over, plus his faffing about with the captain armband for his 5 minute cameo, and his cluelessness in talking to the press, he makes an easy target because it’s not just him being excoriated.

When he has a decent game, similarly people try to make more of it they should. I dont like any of our players being brutalized by our own fanbase, and as much as I don’t want to see Maguire play for us, I agree it’s over the top criticism. Same with Fellaini. The other problem is people saying Maguire was top 5 CB in the world as recently as a year ago: it begs to be shot down.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I think it has more to do with Maguire fans than Maguire himself. When ETH was hired, this board lit up with people saying how great Maguire was going to be in the new system, and calling people out for having the nerve to suggest the 80 million club captain wouldn’t start, further compounded when Martinez came in, people saying he was bought to be backup to Maguire. So when you get all these wildly wrong hot takes over and over, plus his faffing about with the captain armband for his 5 minute cameo, and his cluelessness in talking to the press, he makes an easy target because it’s not just him being excoriated.

When he has a decent game, similarly people try to make more of it they should. I dont like any of our players being brutalized by our own fanbase, and as much as I don’t want to see Maguire play for us, I agree it’s over the top criticism. Same with Fellaini. The other problem is people saying Maguire was top 5 CB in the world as recently as a year ago: it begs to be shot down.
This is the problem with online forums nowadays though. Almost all of what you have posted here is in some way describing a reaction to what others are saying or not saying. An OTT hot take in one direction gets countered by an equally OTT hot take in the other direction, and round and round it goes.

Whatever happened to just having a non sensational opinion based only on what you see, unaffected by what others are saying?

(None of the above is aimed at you personally by the way)

Here's Maguire in a nutshell. He's lost his place in the team because Varane and Martinez are both excellent. He had a pretty decent world cup which proved he isn't a busted flush, but is also clearly suffering a confidence crisis in our shirt through (a) being part of a crap team last season, (b) not playing much this season, and (c) because hes having to deal with everyone suddenly decided he's a figure to poke fun at.

Fair or unfair?

Oranges038

Come on.

127 passes and did he actually play a pass thay went anywhere or led to anything?

He had that many because Leeds kept forcing the ball to him because they knew he'd do feck all with it. There were times where he was just stood there with 5 or 6 Leeds players right in front of him waiting for the pass backwards or sideways or lump it long aimlessy. Which he did enough of played 17 long balls and only 7 of those were accurate.

VivaRonaldo85

He’s been made to look so ordinary when you closely compare him to two top class centre halves in Varane and Martinez. If we can get any sort of financial return on him in the summer, I’d drive him to the new club. An Everton, Leicester or Villa level would be ideal for him.

OL29

Here's Maguire in a nutshell. He's lost his place in the team because Varane and Martinez are both excellent. He had a pretty decent world cup which proved he isn't a busted flush, but is also clearly suffering a confidence crisis in our shirt through (a) being part of a crap team last season, (b) not playing much this season, and (c) because hes having to deal with everyone suddenly decided he's a figure to poke fun at.

Fair or unfair?
Probably a bit generous as the implication is that all of the reasons for his poor form have been out of his hands, when in reality his crisis of confidence stems from his own prolonged run of form starting from last season. Obviously he wasn’t helped by the team’s overall form last season but his own performances were a massive part of the problem.

DickDastardly

Fair or unfair?
God no.

Harry Maguire in a nutshell = shit.

We don't need to sugercoat it just because he's our shit captain.

Erik plays Shaw before he would play Harry ffs. Shaw isn't even a center back.
That speaks volumes.

We don't even have to involve Martinez or Varane to conclude that argument.

He's a poor footballer. Point blank. He's even worse when you expect him to play with the ball.

He'd be a great CB for the likes of Burnley or Everton, you know, hoof it and head it out and everybody is saying look at that fecking giant of a defender, bet you he's the new Vidić.

Well, he's not.

Status
Not open for further replies.