Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I don't think Mikhi will be sold. He deserves another season to prove himself, and Mourinho will probably give him that.
He did it with Schurle, Cuadrado and Robben. I am not saying he should but I would not be surprised if he did. Micky has a good eye going forward but is not trying hard enough in defense.

Ixion

He is still to prove himself in my eyes, shown promising signs but not yet proven he's United quality. I hope next year when he knows what to expect we'll see more from him.

AgentP

He has been pretty disappointing in the past few months apart from scoring the occasional goal in the Europa. Really needs to step up next season.

ManUtd1999

He did it with Schurle, Cuadrado and Robben. I am not saying he should but I would not be surprised if he did. Micky has a good eye going forward but is not trying hard enough in defense.
I understand, but IIRC Mourinho didn't bring Schurle and Robben to Chelsea in 2013-14. He brought Mikhi and will probably give him another season.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
He's been okay I reckon. What I'd expect in a debut season. His goal record is really good.

Jib

I understand, but IIRC Mourinho didn't bring Schurle and Robben to Chelsea in 2013-14. He brought Mikhi and will probably give him another season.
I think that he's here because his agent is Raiola ( part of Pogba/Ibra deal ). Not the type of player that Mourinho likes.

ManUtd1999

I think that he's here because his agent is Raiola ( part of Pogba/Ibra deal ). Not the type of player that Mourinho likes.
I hope (and want to believe) that this is not the only reason that we have in the team. We'll see what he does in the Europa League.

Zii

I mean this guy is meant to be in his prime right? He isn't 20, mistakes should be few and far between. Shocking this season (In comparison to what I expected and was told)

el3mel

Another anonymous performance for him. Better to perform against Celta if he plays.

izec

I expect a proper improvement next season with better players and him getting to know how things go at United and England. I think he will be fine, needs to get the consistency and momentum going.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I mean this guy is meant to be in his prime right? He isn't 20, mistakes should be few and far between. Shocking this season (In comparison to what I expected and was told)
Every player gets over hyped. People just watch these edited down videos of potential players on youtube that show all the good things. To really understand a player you have to watch a full match and secondly you have to watch them when the going gets tough. Its easy when you are winning four nil.

People are raving about Kylian Mbabbe. I can guarantee that if we had Kylian Mbabbe today, he would have struggled like Martial. He is good, but he like so many players is completely over hyped and he simply can not meet that hype/expectations.

The reality is that you can count on one hand the players who can make a difference day in day out. Messi, Suarez (Maybe), Ronaldo. Maybe Neymar. Maybe Griezman.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Back in the summer I was one of the few who were against signing him. I just didn't think he was what we needed. After a disappointing start to his United career, when he was brought back into the squad and put together a string of impressive performances I admitted I may have been wrong about him. Lately, he's playing like the Mkhi I didn't want here, though I still like him and think/hope he has a place here.

I don't even think he's been that bad recently, and he was by no means a bad player at Dortmund; I'm just not sure he suits the PL/José. I never saw him as a particularly good dribbler or shielder of the ball (he gets dispossessed too easily). Anyway, I actually thought his general play against Celta was good, and I thought he did well today considering he was pretty much a LWB. No point judging his City performance as the tactics were just bad from José and limited him, Martial and Rashford.

I think if he isn't burdened with a whole lot of defensive duties (not playing as a LWB!) and was allowed a bit more freedom, he may begin to blossom again. I'm not saying have him do no defending, just not to the extreme levels of having him be pretty much a defender.

Web of Bissaka

I thought he was much better than he has been recently. Looked bright early on but inevitably struggled once we dropped deep and handed them complete control.
I'm in agreement. Certainly better than his previous horrible run of poor form performances.

Started well, good supporting defence, help Darmian a lot, many interceptions and tackles, winning fouls too. Also, good attacks early during the first half, our most threatening player early on, then faded of becoming a passenger after Arsenal took control of possession. Rightly sub off.

I was hoping he would be given Rooney's freedom role in the centre, with Rooney doing the defensive work on the left, but I suppose Jose decides Rooney doesn't have the pace to negate Ox.

Oh well, :smirk:score in the next game against Celta Vigo then Mkhi. Good EL form.

GM K

Every player gets over hyped. People just watch these edited down videos of potential players on youtube that show all the good things. To really understand a player you have to watch a full match and secondly you have to watch them when the going gets tough. Its easy when you are winning four nil.

People are raving about Kylian Mbabbe. I can guarantee that if we had Kylian Mbabbe today, he would have struggled like Martial. He is good, but he like so many players is completely over hyped and he simply can not meet that hype/expectations.

The reality is that you can count on one hand the players who can make a difference day in day out. Messi, Suarez (Maybe), Ronaldo. Maybe Neymar. Maybe Griezman.

Mbappe is not over hyped. Trust me, that boy is the real deal.

GM K

Back in the summer I was one of the few who were against signing him. I just didn't think he was what we needed. After a disappointing start to his United career, when he was brought back into the squad and put together a string of impressive performances I admitted I may have been wrong about him. Lately, he's playing like the Mkhi I didn't want here, though I still like him and think/hope he has a place here.

I don't even think he's been that bad recently, and he was by no means a bad player at Dortmund; I'm just not sure he suits the PL/José. I never saw him as a particularly good dribbler or shielder of the ball (he gets dispossessed too easily). Anyway, I actually thought his general play against Celta was good, and I thought he did well today considering he was pretty much a LWB. No point judging his City performance as the tactics were just bad from José and limited him, Martial and Rashford.

I think if he isn't burdened with a whole lot of defensive duties (not playing as a LWB!) and was allowed a bit more freedom, he may begin to blossom again. I'm not saying have him do no defending, just not to the extreme levels of having him be pretty much a defender.

He has not been pretty much a defender. He has just been poor. Simple.

A lot of our players are getting too much free passes here. Martial, Mikhi and Lingard have been the biggest let downs in an attacking sense and I just don't buy the idea that they have been so due to tactical decisions. Giving the ball away time and time again has nothing to do with tactics. It has gotten to a point now when a pass is made to Mikhi, I tell those beside me to watch how he will lose the ball and 7/10, he does.

But I am happy to watch how he fares next season. Pedro was like that last season. Always losing the ball, always being bullied off it. But he picked up well this season.

Obiorahking_

He must do better. I remember how ecstatic I was when I saw the SkySports tweet that we signed him. Anyone who saw what he did at Dortmund would know that he is too damn talented to be playing like how he has been playing as of late. Before this season I thought he was going to lead the league in assists and be a constant creative weapon coming off the right yet that hasn't happened yet. Next season needs to be his year or else United will be forced to look elsewhere.

montpelier

our answer to Ozil - obviously has the talent, tendency to disappear & under-perform

what's he supposed to be doing? - in a tactical sense, his job in the team

Yagami

Good post resistant
He has not been pretty much a defender. He has just been poor. Simple.
I'm talking about the City/Arsenal games where he did play as, pretty much, a defender. Occasionally against City he'd rotate with Martial/Rashford and play up front, but two of the three would become wing-backs and it just hindered us. I've not been of the opinion he's been in "poor form" as I thought he did well vs Celta and Anderlecht, but he was poor in those two games and I don't think it's a coincidence they were games against big teams where we set up very defensive.

GM K

I thought he was actually pretty average against Celta and Anderlecht. His goal covered up his play.

Against City and Arsenal, it wasn't about how the team was set up. It was about him simply not upping his game. Losing balls, not dictating play and at times have poor first touches. In games like the ones we are having, a Mikhi should be taking the games by the scruff of their necks. He hasn't been doing that.

MadMike

Wouldn't be surprised if Mourinho sold him or Mata. They are poor defensively.
When you judge your forwards based on how well they defend... in a season where scoring has been a major issue... then you know something is not right.

Womp

idiot
When you judge your forwards based on how well they defend... in a season where scoring has been a major issue... then you know something is not right.
And what of the games where we were dominating the opposition, barely having to do any defending and they were still poor? They've hardly been a revelation from an attacking standpoint either.

el3mel

And what of the games where we were dominating the opposition, barely having to do any defending and they were still poor? They've hardly been a revelation from an attacking standpoint either.
I think Mata has been solid in the first half of the season tbf. He showed at some times some of his form when he was at Chelsea this season. Overall his performance this season has been better than his previous 2 seasons imho.

Mikhi has been terrible since his injury in the Saint Etienne match.

Womp

idiot
I think Mata has been solid in the first half of the season tbf. He showed at some times some of his form when he was at Chelsea this season. Overall his performance this season has been better than his previous 2 seasons imho.

Mikhi has been terrible since his injury in the Saint Etienne match.
Ye was talking more about Mkhi than Mata. Mata's been one of our best performers this season.

MadMike

Hm? Mata has actually done pretty well in my book. Mkhi has been bad in the league but good in the Europa.

The point still stands, you didn't negate it at all. Mourinho has been judging his attacking players mostly based on how well they track back and that is now seeping onto the fans. I actually thought today both Mata and Mkhi were defending very deep (same with the City game) which in my opinion negated our threat in the counter. Go check and compare for example the heatmaps between Sanchez and Mkhi. One was playing as a forward, the other was back defending most of the time.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Mkhi and Mata are getting excused today because they ended up so deep but you have to look at why this is. Why would Arsenal allow their fullbacks to freely push up the pitch with little concern fit the opposing wingers? And what does this say about Mata and Mkhi and his they are viewed by the opposition? They know that if they can pressure them as soon as they get the ball then they can retrieve it and prevent the counter. Plus they have no pace and therefore aren't a threat. If it was Rashford, Martial or Lingard out wide today then Arsenal wouldn't have even attempted what they did.

MadMike

Mkhi and Mata are getting excused today because they ended up so deep but you have to look at why this is. Why would Arsenal allow their fullbacks to freely push up the pitch with little concern fit the opposing wingers? And what does this say about Mata and Mkhi and his they are viewed by the opposition? They know that if they can pressure them as soon as they get the ball then they can retrieve it and prevent the counter. Plus they have no pace and therefore aren't a threat. If it was Rashford, Martial or Lingard out wide today then Arsenal wouldn't have even attempted what they did.
You sure you watched the game mate?

KingofNYC

Hard to scout Bundesliga imo...

Bayern beat the domestic league record for goals allowed last season without any healthy CB (more or less Kimmich and Alaba as the main CBs)
Also, bayern has freaking Robbery still as the main attacking threat and freakin xabi alonso is still starting as a regista....

MadMike

Yes. I know Arsenal had the three CBs covering but their wing backs pinned Mkhi and Mata back and challenged them high up the pitch to win the ball back. Unless you genuinely think Mkhi and Mata actually played as some sort of second full backs today?
They got pinned back because their instructions were to track back. You somehow think Mkhi and Mata wanted to be defending at full back positions? Do Ozil and Sanchez, Coutinho and Mane, Hazard and Pedro, Eriksen and Dele Alli, Sterling and Sane often end up coming back to defend that deep for their teams? No, they don't. It's the job of their midfield to track those runs, not the job of the forwards.

Mourinho has tasked the forwards / wingers, whatever you wanna call them, with coming back to track the full backs or the wing backs. So they end up deep. And it's hard to spring out of defence and transition into attack when the only person you have upfront is Martial against 2-3 CBs.

All of that is Mourinho instructions. He had dropped Martial and Mkhi eariler in the season precisely because they were not contributing enough defensively for him. I'm sorry, but this is on Mourinho for me. He has tasked them with that job.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
They got pinned back because their instructions were to track back. You somehow think Mkhi and Mata wanted to be defending at full back positions? Do Ozil and Sanchez, Coutinho and Mane, Hazard and Pedro, Eriksen and Dele Alli, Sterling and Sane often end up coming back to defend that deep for their teams? No, they don't. It's the job of their midfield to track those runs, not the job of the forwards.

Mourinho has tasked the forwards / wingers, whatever you wanna call them, with coming back to track the full backs or the wing backs. So they end up deep. And it's hard to spring out of defence and transition into attack when the only person you have upfront is Martial against 2-3 CBs.

All of that is Mourinho instructions. He had dropped Martial and Mkhi eariler in the season precisely because they were not contributing enough defensively for him. I'm sorry, but this is on Mourinho for me. He has tasked them with that job.
Whatever the reason for it, this doesn't discount what I said. Arsenal weren't worried about what would happen in behind their full backs because it's Mata and Mkhi. They wouldnt even try that today if it was City they were playing, for example.

In response to what you said, Carrick and Herrera can't cover the fullbacks because they already have their hands full with Arsenals midfield runners and also Carrick doesn't have the legs for that type of game. We had no option but the ask our wingers to put in a shift. Giggs used to do it all the time whilst still providing a huge threat. Thats the level of player we need in wide positions unless we change our midfield and possibly go with three in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.