ICC Champions Trophy 2017

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
I think he is arrogant but it has nothing to do with the quality of opposition or his win expectancy. Its just the way he is and it plays a huge role in his performance. His attitude doesnt change be it Netherlands, Pakistan, Australia and if we played vs the aliens some day, I'm sure he'd still be the same.
Probably the best to have when you are a captain. I may not like him but he is exactly what is needed as a captain.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I think he is arrogant but it has nothing to do with the quality of opposition or his win expectancy. Its just the way he is and it plays a huge role in his performance. His attitude doesnt change be it Netherlands, Pakistan, Australia and if we played vs the aliens some day, I'm sure he'd still be the same.
His attitude very likely makes him the great player he has become. Very Ronaldoesque.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I do think there's extra fire in him when playing Pakistan. TBH more so when he wasn't captain. I wonder if the captaincy has subdued that a little? Who knows but he is more fired up/animated against Pakistan. Like I said, I don't blame him for that. He backs it up and it gets under other team's skin but seeing him get cleaned up like today was a joy (as an opposition fan).

prath92

You need arrogance to be a great player imo. All great players were arrogant. Look at Shane warne Gilchrist pointing and many Australians. Pak guys like Waqar Wasim Imran etc. Indians like Ganguly Kapil Dev. They were all extremely arrogant and that makes them the player they were. Never say die attitude

Varun

Staff
His attitude very likely makes him the great player he has become. Very Ronaldoesque.
Yeah, that's who he reminds me of in Football. Ronaldo and Keano. Absolutely agree that it plays a role in making him the player that he is too.

fishfingers15

Sultan

Not much is said how well Asian teams performed in English conditions. Kudos!

Moiraine

Kohli is fine. He is like Keano for us. I expect opposition fans to hate him, that's the point.
To be honest, I don't think he is hate-able. You simply have to admire his talent and quality, just amazing. He is growing into a mature and statesman like person. He might be a pr!ck in the beginning maybe but not anymore.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
What was wrong about making bold predictions?
Nothing you can do, but I was responding to the poster who said Pakistan fans shouldn't be gloating.

But if you make bold predictions about humiliating the opposition prepared to take a few shots back when it goes tits up. That's what the discussion is about.

MDFC Manager

Kohli is fine. He is like Keano for us. I expect opposition fans to hate him, that's the point.
I still don't get all the hate though. How often does he overstep in the manner of actual cnuts like Ponting for example?

Do we really want him to cut the occasional wild celebrations?

shamans

To be honest, I don't think he is hate-able. You simply have to admire his talent and quality, just amazing. He is growing into a mature and statesman like person. He might be a pr!ck in the beginning maybe but not anymore.
Yep. Still annoying but when a guy averages what he does and plays like he does you can't hate him. Even the most arrogant of Pakistani fans (who know their cricket) can't ever hate players like Kohli, Dhoni and SRT

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Not much is said how well Asian teams performed in English conditions. Kudos!
Apart for the Aussies it been like that for a long time in ODIS.

Varun

Staff
I do think there's extra fire in him when playing Pakistan. TBH more so when he wasn't captain. I wonder if the captaincy has subdued that a little? Who knows but he is more fired up/animated against Pakistan. Like I said, I don't blame him for that. He backs it up and it gets under other team's skin but seeing him get cleaned up like today was a joy (as an opposition fan).
Wouldnt know about that as I stopped watching cricket years back, just outgrew it of sorts. Today was actually the first game I've sat through in years, dont even remember when I watched 10 overs of a game before this. I totally understand enjoying it as an opposition fan when someone like Kohli fails though.

Moonred

Yep. Still annoying but when a guy averages what he does and plays like he does you can't hate him. Even the most arrogant of Pakistani fans (who know their cricket) can't ever hate players like Kohli, Dhoni and SRT
Pretty sure most hate Kohli at the same time understand how good he is. You can't say much when one performs. It's not a big deal to be hated a bit by rival fans.

shamans

I loved ganguly, kohli seems a bit more petulant to me. His celebration against England is probably my favorite of recent time.
Ganguly was one of those cnuts that you just had to applaud sometimes. Annoyed the hell out of me but then he'd play something so sweet and beautiful driving it to the off side you just couldn't help but admire it.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I loved ganguly, kohli seems a bit more petulant to me.
Agree, I used to really respect the older Indian players, the only team that really stood up to the Aussies, it just seems Kohli is more Ponting than Dada. Still a fantastic batsman though. But he was really humble in his post match interview, seems to be maturing.

fishfingers15

I still don't get all the hate though. How often does he overstep in the manner of actual cnuts like Ponting for example?

Do we really want him to cut the occasional wild celebrations?
Hate is a strong word. I detest Suarez but I sometimes don't like Berbatov. Kohli is like Berbatov for me. Suarez figure for me in Cricket would be Miandad/Warne.

These are the cricketers I absolutely love : Sangakkara, Dravid, Lara and Richards.

shamans

Pretty sure most hate Kohli at the same time understand how good he is. You can't say much when one performs. It's not a big deal to be hated a bit by rival fans.
What I mean is respecting him. I don't think it is possible to hate and respect someone at the same time which is why I (and I'd like to believe most cricket fans) can't hate Kohli

Sultan

Hate is a strong word. I detest Suarez but I sometimes don't like Berbatov. Kohli is like Berbatov for me. Suarez figure for me in Cricket would be Miandad/Warne.

These are the cricketers I absolutely love : Sangakkara, Dravid, Lara and Richards.
I personally think Richards was very arrogant. Agree with you on other names. Despite, all the success and class I'd say Sachin's humbleness made him an unbelievable player and person.

fishfingers15

I personally think Richards was very arrogant. Agree with you on other names. Despite, all the success and class I'd say Sachin's humbleness made him an unbelievable player and person.
I agree, but Richards attraction is a childhood thing. He was the first cricketer I loved and followed. My room used to be lined up with posters of Richards, Maradona and Marco Van Basten from Sportstar magazine. At that age, I was easily impressionable :D

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
BTW, Sanjay Manjrekar pronounces Fakhar as "fecker". Ridiculous.
The correct pronunciation is actually f u.cker. maybe a bit more emphasis on the 'h' but I think that just makes it sound worse. :)

Sultan

So what's everyone's Asian XI after this tournament?
Would be very difficult to choose openers.

India's top 3 batsmen with Tamim and Fakhar would take the batting spots. Pandya the all-rounder slot. Mushfiqur would likely be ahead of Dhoni based on the tournaments performances. Hasan Ali, Bhumrah would definitely make the team. I remain undecided on the spinners.

fishfingers15

Would be very difficult to choose openers.

India's top 3 batsmen with Tamim and Fakhar would take the batting spots. Pandya the all-rounder slot. Mushfiqur would likely be ahead of Dhoni based on the tournaments performances. Hasan Ali, Bhumrah would definitely make the team. I remain undecided on the spinner.
I'd say Amir needs to be on the team

Sylar

Congratulations to Pakistan. India however... you let me down man.

Just back from Oval, holy feck it was baking. But Pakistan out-batted us, out fielded(?) us and out bowled us. Their pace attack is quite something. Amir was fantastic. (the dirty cheat haha). Such a shame he wasted years.
Winning the toss, I think everybody was pretty much happy that India were going to chase. The problem was not getting the early wicket. (well we did but it was a no ball). Pakistan kept the RR over 6 consistently throughout. Knew the luck was defo on their side when the ball hit the stumps but the bails didnt dislodge.

As soon as Kohli lost his wicket, we knew it was done. But once Dhoni was out, the stadium emptied quick time.

What a turnaround from Pakistan though from the first game. They were a shambles then, and tbh werent even that great against Sri Lanka. But absolutely destroyed England and India.

roonaldo78

Sri Lanka dropping Hafeez and Fakhar getting a reprieve were the major turning points of the tournament. Pakistan winning today the type of unexpected results is what makes the game great.

Congratulations to Pakistan. Enjoy your well-deserved victory.
I would say Perera dropping Sarfraz is the biggest turning point, that was a sitter and should have been taken. All credit to Pakistan though, they have gone from strength to strength and thrashed India and England.

Some exceptional talent on display from Pakistan, Hasan Ali and Shadab look set for a long future in the game. That spell from Amir was fantastic, three of the most in form players in the tournament.

Delighted for Pakistan and good to see a team outside the 'Big 3' win the tournament.

Sultan

Not saying Bhumrah is a bad bowler, but if it is between Bhumrah and Amir, I'll take a 50% fit Amir everytime. The guy bowls like an angel.
I thought the question was the best team based on this tournament. I agree Amir is a better bowler at this moment.

Sultan

I would say Perera dropping Sarfraz is the biggest turning point, that was a sitter and should have been taken. All credit to Pakistan though, they have gone from strength to strength and thrashed India and England.

Some exceptional talent on display from Pakistan, Hasan Ali and Shadab look set for a long future in the game. That spell from Amir was fantastic, three of the most in form players in the tournament.

Delighted for Pakistan and good to see a team outside the 'Big 3' win the tournament.
Yes. Sorry, that was supposed to be Sarfraz. My mistake.