ICC Cricket World Cup 2015

Spoony

The People's President
Would it be a leap too far to predict death of top class Cricket in the Windies in a few decades?

It's going that way. Why aren't the ICC and financially stronger cricketing nations doing more to ensure cricket doesn't die in the Caribbean? Cricket generates billions but seems only to line the pockets of the BCCI, CA, TCCB, businessmen and shady bookmakers. Yes, I'm aware kids in that part of the world prefer the glamour of the NBA but surely investment and better prospects in the game will help stop the decline.

Sylar

The latest they'll meet India is in the semi's as both teams will likely qualify for the next round from the same group. It'll be Lanka or England they'll thrash to reach the semi's. After that I agree, they'll most likely lose to Aussies or the Kiwis.
haha yep, but I meant the game next week. Wouldnt surprise me to see SA win that and win every group game then lose like they normally do.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
It's going that way. Why aren't the ICC and financially stronger cricketing nations doing more to ensure cricket doesn't die in the Caribbean? Cricket generates billions but seems only to line the pockets of the BCCI, CA, TCCB, businessmen and shady bookmakers. Yes, I'm aware kids in that part of the world prefer the glamour of the NBA but surely investment and better prospects in the game will help stop the decline.
Short termism. Such a shame for Cricket if we do lose those Islands.

Calypso cricket! Those were the days!!!

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Short termism. Such a shame for Cricket if we do lose those Islands.

Calypso cricket! Those were the days!!!
As Spoony said, kids preferring NBA is put forward as the main reason but lot many other things have changed too. The pitches aren't the same. Quality fast bowlers are not coming through as a result and too many are turning to being medium pacers or spinners but without the natural quality at it. The stand-off on players contract situation etc also points to things being wrong administration wise. It is all bit sad and though solutions can be thought of from neutral perspective, I doubt about their implementation.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
As Spoony said, kids preferring NBA is put forward as the main reason but lot many other things have changed too. The pitches aren't the same. Quality fast bowlers are not coming through as a result and too many are turning to being medium pacers or spinners but without the natural quality at it. The stand-off on players contract situation etc also points to things being wrong administration wise. It is all bit sad and though solutions can be thought of from neutral perspective, I doubt about their implementation.
First bolded is the reason for the second bolded. If you're tall, you play basketball, not cricket.

DOTA

From the BBC's live text...

In the first five matches of this tournament, every side batting first has scored 300 or more.

Can Scotland keep up that record against New Zealand's fearsome seam attack of Boult, Southee and Milne?
Fearsome.

The Man Himself

Why are NZ bowling first? This will cost me a lot of points on fantasy.
How many New Zealand players you have got today? I have 5. Top 3 batsmen (batting order wise) and opening bowling pair.

Kazi

Damn, I pretty much transferred in New Zealand's whole top order. Hopefully Milne takes 5.

Spoony

The People's President
First bolded is the reason for the second bolded. If you're tall, you play basketball, not cricket.

They've got 6ft 5 bowlers bowling military medium thesedays. Darren Sammy being a prime example. Sadly fewer Afro Caribbean kids are playing the game, but it's thriving in the Indo Caribbean community.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
How many New Zealand players you have got today? I have 5. Top 3 batsmen (batting order wise) and opening bowling pair.
5 for me too. Baz, Kane, Corey, Milne and Boult (C). Wanted Taylor instead of Milne but no chance of that happening with Scotland batting first.

DOTA

They've got 6ft 5 bowlers bowling military medium thesedays. Darren Sammy being a prime example. Sadly fewer Afro Caribbean kids are playing the game, but it's thriving in the Indo Caribbean community.
Is there another example? People don't stop bowling fast just because the pitch is crap. Pakistan have always managed.

Spoony

The People's President
Is there another example? People don't stop bowling fast just because the pitch is crap. Pakistan have always managed.

Who's blaming pitches? Kids want to play in the NBA. And it's not just a dearth of fast bowlers but batsmen too. If Gayle's the best they've got...Christ, the game is in a mess in that part of the world. And TMH maybe right about the state of pitches but I suspect it's a chicken and egg scenario, they produced fast pitches because they had a conveyer belt of express bowlers, now they've got T20 style bits and pieces cricketers - like Darren Sammy.

The Man Himself

Pakistan's pitches are not crap for fast bowling. Pakistan and northern India have climate conducive to fast bowling as well. I was going to make same point which Sooony made. WI bowlers are tall enough still the pace at which they bowl is medium at best. That is down to pitches as bowlers try to contain with good line-length than pace. Bowlers don't need to be around 7 feet like NBA, a 6" 2 is quite good so that is not reason for bowlers not being fast. What NBA has does though is reduced the talent pool to choose from.

The Man Himself

Who's blaming pitches? Kids want to play in the NBA. And it's not just a dearth of fast bowlers but batsmen too. If Gayle's the best they've got...Christ, the game is in a mess in that part of the world. And TMH maybe right about the state of pitches but I suspect it's a chicken and egg scenario, they produced fast pitches because they had a conveyer belt of express bowlers, now they've got T20 style bits and pieces cricketers - like Darren Sammy.
Yup. It is chicken & egg scenario with pitches now somewhat.

Spoony

The People's President
Pakistan's pitches are not crap for fast bowling. Pakistan and northern India have climate conducive to fast bowling as well. I was going to make same point which Sooony made. WI bowlers are tall enough still the pace at which they bowl is medium at best. That is down to pitches as bowlers try to contain with good line-length than pace. Bowlers don't need to be around 7 feet like NBA, a 6" 2 is quite good so that is not reason for bowlers not being fast. What NBA has does though is reduced the talent pool to choose from.
I think it's more to do with T20. But yeah you don't need to be 6ft + to bowl express. Agreed Re talent pool and all

The Man Himself

ffs if Scotland get all out for less than 100, my Williamson and Guptill subs will be of not much use. Put up some fight you dour Scots! Score 200 at least.
On positive side, both Southee and Boult are in my team.

Boycott

This is so one-sided :lol:. Anything full is causing them all sorts of problems.

Jammydodger7

I don't agree with that.

Smaller teams should be given opportunities to develop, but during the regular season not at the world cup. The world cup should be a showcase event with the best teams competing against each other. We cannot have 1 month of nonsense just to see an Ireland beat the West Indies.

A pre-tournament to select the last 2 teams of a 10 team event is the right approach, imo.
That's a fair point but it shouldn't be in Bangladesh!!

If Ireland had test status then they wouldn't be losing there best players to England either, which would bring them on even further.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Innings over. Excellent from the kiwis.

If McCullum gets going, I might actually get to watch the whole game!

Edit: dougie just left the studio?! :lol: Cnutish if true.

Last edited:

zing

Zingle balls
“In the long run, if the game has to go worldwide, then we have to get away from talking about associates and affiliates and full members. We don’t want to differentiate ourselves from Scotlands and Afghanistans. We want them to come with us. We want the game to grow and everyone to compete on a level playing field. That’s why we don’t like words such as upsets and minnows. We know we are underdogs; that’s different and it’s fine. We need to get away from that minnows tag.”

“It’s hard to understand what we get from getting promoted [from the World Cricket League]. Do we get more games than earlier? In the last two years, we played nine One-Day Internationals against top teams. From next year, will we get 15 ODIs a year? If you want us to improve, then you need to give us more games. That’s why we keep making lots of noise.”

ICC(BCCI) is the worst sporting body in the world -- which is some achievement considering the competition.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
That's a fair point but it shouldn't be in Bangladesh!!

If Ireland had test status then they wouldn't be losing there best players to England either, which would bring them on even further.
I don't know if test status is going to help. Certainly hasn't improved cricket in B'desh, even with a massive following for the game over there.

How about integrating these teams in the domestic set-up of their pedigreed neighbors? Bangladeshi and Afghani teams in Indian domestic circuit; the Scots and Irish in the English; Kenyans with the South Africans and some other teams in Sheffield shield. You only improve by playing against teams that are at a higher level than you. Playing against each other isn't going to help them develop. The monetary and logistical support should come from the rich ICC. These teams needs a full calendar.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
NZ made hard work of that chase! Suppose they wanted to boost their NRR, which they have managed to do.

DOTA

I don't know if test status is going to help. Certainly hasn't improved cricket in B'desh, even with a massive following for the game over there.

How about integrating these teams in the domestic set-up of their pedigreed neighbors? Bangladeshi and Afghani teams in Indian domestic circuit; the Scots and Irish in the English; Kenyans with the South Africans and some other teams in Sheffield shield. You only improve by playing against teams that are at a higher level than you. Playing against each other isn't going to help them develop. The monetary and logistical support should come from the rich ICC. These teams needs a full calendar.
Scotland, Ireland and the Netherlands have all competed in domestic one day competitions in England at one point or another, in recent years. Neither they, nor the competition, really seemed to benefit from it so the idea seems to have been scrapped now.

Jammydodger7

They have played in some english one day tournaments, the problem is there is a few Irish players playing for english counties so they're not selected for Ireland, leaving them with a weakened team.

Although he's not getting into the English team at the moment, Ireland could really do with having Boyd Rankin back and even Eoin Morgan who's been poor lately!