ICC Cricket World Cup 2019

Fully Fledged

Only people who might disagree are the English and nz supporters.
Why would we care? We haven't gained or lost out to the rain days.

We are watching a sport where weather often stops matches. It's not like this is the first time this has happened. It will not be the last time this will happen.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
If the ICC allowed us to play on a pitch with a big hole in the pitch then all is fair. You do realise that there was a cricket ground in England that had a tree growing in the middle of the out field. No one seemed to complain about that.

By the way has anyone even gone to check if that was the shortest ever boundary in an international cricket match?
By ground size: Feroz Shah Kotla Ground in Delhi is the smallest international cricket ground as per size. The square boundary is 56 meters and the straight boundary is 60 meters. Though the stadium's seating capacity is 50,000 people, the playing area is small.
Boundary length like I said may or may not be an issue. I don't agree with the comments but you can't say it's fine because applies for us both. You can question conditions even if it applies to both teams.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
This NZ side getting to the semis is evidence it has impacted the tournament.
Are NZ significantly worse than Pakistan? Because then it would be a major impact. I'm not saying there wasn't any and Pakistan have every right to be aggrieved. But it's a bit like losing a crucial toss.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.

We are watching a sport where weather often stops matches. It's not like this is the first time this has happened. It will not be the last time this will happen.
Again just downplaying the whether as "stopping the sport". England shouldn't host world cups if they don't arrange for rain days as it threatens the integrity of the game and the tournament.

This tournament we all got lucky, yeah NZ went over Pakistan but had India, Aus or Eng been affected and someone like Sri Lanka went through instead it would have reflected poorly. It already is a joke that a 6 week tournament had a week of basically no results.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Are NZ significantly worse than Pakistan? Because then it would be a major impact. I'm not saying there wasn't any and Pakistan have every right to be aggrieved. But it's a bit like losing a crucial toss.
Over the course of the tournament Pakistan have been better than NZ, they beat much stronger sides and are the better team.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Great to see the lung bursting efforts from England near the ropes. Bairstow and now Root j going at it like their lives depended on it.

Wood gives that effort away with a wide next ball, but still.

TheGame

Give England a pitch which offers something to bowlers and they don't "apply themselves" but on a flat pitch, back to scoring 300+. IMO England on a flat pitch will win majority of their games but as soon as they get a pitch which offers something to bowlers, nearly every batsman struggles. England don't struggle on pitches which offers something to bowlers because they don't "apply themselves" but because that's not their strength, nothing wrong with it as every team has different strengths. Nothing to do with they didn't "apply themselves" thats just an excuse.

Your defence is strange as that can be said for any team, NZ today for example.
Not really sure what your issue is but England have won plenty of matches on challenging pitches in the last two years. Part of the reason they went to number 1 in the world.

MJJ

Ask the people getting pissy over having reserve days.

FlawlessThaw

Please compare the rain day in Aus vs England. Also, something happened 27 years ago so yeah let's not learn from it and keep it the same.
Hopefully this will be a learning point about reserve days. I think the broader issue is the length of the tournament. Clearly it's too long to have reserve days but not so long enough that a team can feel unjustly about a rained off match.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
All told the performances under pressure have been pretty impressive from England these past two matches. Lets hope we keep winning tosses.

kps88

Reserve days sound like a logistical nightmare for a tournament already too long.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Well if Pakistan beat Bangla then it clearly did since Pak are more likely to beat Lanka than NZ are wrt India.
And without any washouts the top 4 order would have been totally different, playing semis on different grounds. Yet some ignorant smartiepants seem to believe that the washouts had no effect whatsoever on anything.

AJ10

Not really sure what your issue is but England have won plenty of matches on challenging pitches in the last two years. Part of the reason they went to number 1 in the world.
Was talking about the WC not outside of it.

"England havent lost because of pitches, they've lost in the games they have because they have been shite." When its not a flat pitch, England are shite or didn't "apply themselves" but otherwise its Ok.

Just laughing at your excuses for loosing on pitches which aren't flat.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Seems pretty obvious to me that the rain's played a role this tournament. If it were dry New Zealand probably have a point less while Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh could all have a point (or 2) more. There's maybe a 50% chance of one of them taking New Zealand's place.

FlawlessThaw

Well if Pakistan beat Bangla then it clearly did since Pak are more likely to beat Lanka than NZ are wrt India.
Yeah major impact on Pakistan for sure but for the wider tournament I don't think Pakistan are significantly better than NZ, we essentially have the 5th best team in the semis instead of the 4th and that is assuming Pakistan beat Sri Lanka which isn't a banker.

AshRK

Yeah major impact on Pakistan for sure but for the wider tournament I don't think Pakistan are significantly better than NZ, we essentially have the 5th best team in the semis instead of the 4th and that is assuming Pakistan beat Sri Lanka which isn't a banker.
Pakistan have never lost to SL in WC so chances of them beating them would have been very high. Also, considering they were coming off a win over England they would have fancied beating SL. Having said that the reason PAK are not in top 4 is not because of Rain but because they woke up late in the tournament. They should not have lost to WI.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Don't think Pak will beat Bangla tomorrow so it's moot.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Pakistan have never lost to SL in WC so chances of them beating them would have been very high. Also, considering they were coming off a win over England they would have fancied beating SL. Having said that the reason PAK are not in top 4 is not because of Rain but because they woke up late in the tournament. They should not have lost to WI.
If they had batted sensibly and got to atleast 200 then maybe they'd have a slight chance.

Dan_F

Reserve days sound like a logistical nightmare for a tournament already too long.
I mean they could just play the following day. Unfortunate for the fans that couldn’t attend, but better to play in a half empty stadium than not have the game.
And without any washouts the top 4 order would have been totally different, playing semis on different grounds. Yet some ignorant smartiepants seem to believe that the washouts had no effect whatsoever on anything.
I don’t think I’ve seen anyone claim it had no effect whatsoever. It did potentially cost Pakistan, but that’s going off the assumption that they wouldn’t go out there and get 100 all out like they did against the Windies.

It’s unfortunate, but all the governing bodies knew the rules and the likelihood of rainy days, why wasn’t extra days pushed for beforehand, instead of crying about it now it’s potentially effected your team.

Skills

Snitch

I hope Bangladesh doesn't throw it away :smirk:
"If Pakistan bowl first on Friday they cannot get through on run rate" How does that work?

Say for example, Bangladesh get bowled out for 50 runs & Pakistan chase it down in 4 overs wouldn't they get a massive NRR boost?

Gandalf Greyhame

Scout

I hope Bangladesh doesn't throw it away :smirk:
I did the math, and that's not true.
Edit: NVM. If Pak score 400 then they need to get Bangladesh all out within 85 runs. So actually 100 is a decent approximation.

SRR = Average run rate over the tournament while scoring
CRR = Average run rate conceded over the tournament while bowling
NRR = SRR - CRR

Prior to this match, New Zealand:
Scored 1488 runs in 294* overs (SRR = 5.06)
Conceded 1563 runs in 348* overs (CRR = 4.49)
Their NRR = 5.06 - 4.49 = 0.57

Prior to their match, Pakistan:
Scored 1710 runs in 339* overs (SRR = 5.04)
Conceded 1772** runs in 303.7* overs (CRR = 5.83)
Their NRR = 5.04 - 5.83 = - 0.79

*if you're bowled out in less than 50 overs, run rate is calculated over all 50 overs
** Adjusted for the 301 target India set through DLS

------
So lets say NZ get bowled out for 180 today. Their final NRR will be 4.84 - 4.69 = 0.15

In the next game, if Pak go first and score 350 (taking their SRR to 5.29), to match NZ's NRR of 0.15 they need a CRR of 5.14.
Say Bangladesh score x runs, then (1772+x)/353.7 = 5.14, then x is 46 runs.
If Bangladesh go first and are 100 all out (taking Pak's CRR to 5.29), then Pak need to chase it down in say x overs to get a SRR of 5.44.
(1810)/(339+x) = 5.44, then x is -7 overs.

-----

Basically, as long as Bangladesh score more than 50 runs in either innings, Pakistan are out of the tournament.

Last edited:

Gandalf Greyhame

Scout
"If Pakistan bowl first on Friday they cannot get through on run rate" How does that work?

Say for example, Bangladesh get bowled out for 50 runs & Pakistan chase it down in 4 overs wouldn't they get a massive NRR boost?
Look at the reasoning in my quoted post just above this one.

If Bangladesh go first and are 100 all out (taking Pak's CRR to 5.29), then Pak need to chase it down in say x overs to get a SRR of 5.44.
(1810)/(339+x) = 5.44, then x is -7 overs.

kps88

I mean they could just play the following day. Unfortunate for the fans that couldn’t attend, but better to play in a half empty stadium than not have the game.
It's not always that easy. You would have TV not wanting two big games to clash at the same time. You'd also have to plan travel days and the time between each team's games with reserve days in mind. India, for example just had two games in three days which wouldn't have been possible to do if you had to account for a possible reserve day. It would make things longer.

AJ10

Was right when I said NZ won't make it to 280. :D

Know need Australia to lose to SA and Us to win vs Sri Lanka.

Rather face NZ than England.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
This is why I said that Pak should have done better against Afghanistan. NZ actually lost by a decent margin today if they had beaten Afghan by a good margin they would have an outside shot at least making it on NRR.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Apparently this is the correct scenario:

"If Pakistan make 350, they need to bowl Bangladesh out for 38
If Pakistan score 400, they need to bowl Bangladesh out for 84
If Bangladesh bat first, there is no chance of Pakistan qualifying"

Dan_F

It's not always that easy. You would have TV not wanting two big games to clash at the same time. You'd also have to plan travel days and the time between each team's games with reserve days in mind. India, for example just had two games in three days which wouldn't have been possible to do if you had to account for a possible reserve day. It would make things longer.
Yeah for sure. Maybe they just should play the latest cricket game on PS4. Everyone plays as themselves. Winner gets the points.

Gandalf Greyhame

Scout
This is why I said that Pak should have done better against Afghanistan. NZ actually lost by a decent margin today if they had beaten Afghan by a good margin they would have an outside shot at least making it on NRR.
The West Indies game knocked 0.5 off their NRR straight away. They were doomed after their first game.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I did the math, and that's not true.
Edit: NVM. If Pak score 400 then they need to get Bangladesh all out within 85 runs. So actually 100 is a decent approximation.
Uhm, there is something that's not adding up. Pak's NRR is -.792 Which means cumulative RR is -0.792*8=-6.336
For NZ, they finish with a cumulative NRR of 0.175*9=1.575
Which means Pak needs to cover a Run rate of 7.911
This is equivalent to a win by 396 runs
If Pak bowl second, and Bangladesh score 100, they'll need to win by scoring at a RR of 9.911 which means get the target in slightly less than 10 overs