ICC Cricket World Cup 2019

AshRK

I wish people said the same thing when the Australian team was on another planet compared to the other teams for almost a decade. Meanwhile Indian wins a match, all hell breaks loose.
That's why I said all these bitter people would not have a single problem had Australia or England launched a successful t20 league and were dominating world cricket.

MDFC Manager

Did you not see him yawning when kohli was batting?
Yes I did, just wanted to know if there's actual truth to the 'night out' claims. Surely they need to be docked or fined for it, even if it may appear it's because of losing to India

iKnowNothing

I don't follow the Pakistan team outside of watching India vs Pakistan but what in the world are people like Mohd. Hafeez and Shoaib Malik doing in this team? I thought they were 32-33 and were in the team for experience but they're 38 and completely useless with the bat, ball and on the field. Are there no youngsters who can replace them?

I also like to point out that the commentary particularly from Sanjay Manjrekar is ordinary bordering on pathetic. There is no "analysis" of the game anymore. It's everyone trying to be funny or taking potshots at others. Mayanti has a "fake" wannabe accent going during the innings break, Gautam Gambhir's useless talk about how he sleeps in the bus - ugh! Ganguly with his "young" Kedar/Shankar (they're 34 and 28 ffs) - it's such a $hit storm.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I wish people said the same thing when the Australian team was on another planet compared to the other teams for almost a decade. Meanwhile Indian wins a match, all hell breaks loose.
Just enjoy the bitterness dude. It's hilarious to see people crying.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I miss the days when game was so even that team had to count themselves lucky to win a game vs Australia.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I don't follow the Pakistan team outside of watching India vs Pakistan but what in the world are people like Mohd. Hafeez and Shoaib Malik doing in this team? I thought they were 32-33 and were in the team for experience but they're 38 and completely useless with the bat, ball and on the field. Are there no youngsters who can replace them?

I also like to point out that the commentary particularly from Sanjay Manjrekar is ordinary bordering on pathetic. There is no "analysis" of the game anymore. It's everyone trying to be funny or taking potshots at others. Mayanti has a "fake" wannabe accent going during the innings break, Gautam Gambhir's useless talk about how he sleeps in the bus - ugh! Ganguly with his "young" Kedar/Shankar (they're 34 and 28 ffs) - it's such a $hit storm.
Malik should never have been in the squad, he was a very good player from his comeback in 2015 to 2017 but in the last two years he has been really poor and therefore his selection in the squad was questionable from the start. When you consider the form that Haris Sohail showed during the same time, it was baffling to see him be put on the bench for Malik, the only reason for this would be that Malik is more suited to the number 6 position while Sohail prefers to play higher up in 4.

Hafeez's place can't be called into question though. He has consistent for the past few years while also being useful with the ball, he's already played a couple of good innings in this world cup already.

The biggest problem in Pakistan's batting is Sarfaraz and his pathetic hitting ability. The only reason I can think of Haris not playing despite averaging close to 50 in the last two years is that he can't play low down the order because he is can't play aggressively, while Malik has shown a better ability to play with a high strike rate so he can sacrificed at number 6. Why we need either Malik or Haris to play there is because Sarfaraz playing that low is a liability because he can't play aggressively for his life, so you have to play him at number 5. If Sarfaraz had shown any semblence of ability to hit, he would easily play at number 6 and Haris could move up.

The only solution to this is for Hafeez to move down to number 6 and Haris come in at 4 (or simply play Asif at number 6, but he lacks the ability to build an innings). That depends on whether Hafeez wants to bat that down and also you are losing Hafeez's ability to build a good innings. Either way, our batting is completely fecked after the top 3.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I miss the days when game was so even that team had to count themselves lucky to win a game vs Australia.
The peak days of cricket when Aussies trashed three Asian teams in three consecutive WC Finals. Great stuff.

roonster09

Scout
The peak days of cricket when Aussies trashed three Asian teams in three consecutive WC Finals. Great stuff.
Yeah, how many unbeaten games again in the world cup?

Also didn't Australia lost their first ever game batting second in this world cup? (I think stat is from 1987)

AJ10

Enjoy the tears, they would have no problem if it was their team doing well and India beating this mediocre Pakistan (bar Amir and Babar) team shouldn't be a surprise.

Interval

Level
That 2003 world cup is the most dominant performance I have seen by a team in a tournament and it happened minus Warne. They won 11 out of 11 with only 1 match against England coming close (chased tgt in 48 overs with 2 wickets in hand). All other matches were won by margins of atleast 5 wickets or 80-250 runs and winning the semis and finals by 100 runs. What a team that was! Amazing

Only imagine if they had Warne what it would have been like

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Too bad I’m off for a week at work. As the only Indian origin guy at work, the last week has been the Pakistani fellas telling me how they’ll beat India. Ah well :D

Skills

Snitch
That 2003 world cup is the most dominant performance I have seen by a team in a tournament and it happened minus Warne. They won 11 out of 11 with only 1 match against England coming close (chased tgt in 48 overs with 2 wickets in hand). All other matches were won by margins of atleast 5 wickets or 80-250 runs and winning the semis and finals by 100 runs. What a team that was! Amazing

Brad Hogg was an annoyingly good bowler as well. Would just quickly run through his 10 overs, grab a wicket and all of a sudden you have to try scramble some runs together against McGrath and Lee.

2007 team might have been a bit better. That was prime Pointing & Hayden. They got like 1200 runs in the tournament between them.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Too bad I’m off for a week at work. As the only Indian origin guy at work, the last week has been the Pakistani fellas telling me how they’ll beat India. Ah well :D
Pakistani's mouthing off at World Cups - we shouldn't bother wasting our breath!

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I used to watch cricket back in the day and probably skipped it for the last 5-10 years.

Why has it become such a batsman's game and not as many 95mph bowlers or reverse swing? It doesnt even feel like there's as much spin or is it just these conditions.
Whilst it has become more of a batsman's game - I think it gets exaggerated especially if we are talking about English playing conditions which are the most balanced there is IMO. Someone like Amir proved that you can restrict even the best batsman if you have something about you but IMO there is a lot of mediocre bowlers out there these days who can't bowl consistent line and length or with control of the ball. I also think the top batsman these days, their hand eye coordination has got sharper due to them adopting a more aggressive mind-set and trying to attack each ball.

So batting in a sense has evolved (in ODI/T20 format) but the bowling has regressed if we are talking from a personnel perspective. And then if you add conditions outside of England, gets even more one sided in favour of batsman.

roonster09

Scout

Same in 2007, not a single game that was close.

Skills

Snitch
I used to watch cricket back in the day and probably skipped it for the last 5-10 years.

Why has it become such a batsman's game and not as many 95mph bowlers or reverse swing? It doesnt even feel like there's as much spin or is it just these conditions.
1. Two new balls has killed reverse swing & also made the game harder for spinners

2. New fielding restrictions - 2 outside the circle in the first 10, 4 outside of the circle in next 30 and then you're only allowed 5 in the last 10

3. Batsman are just better strikers and much stronger. Look at the average cricketer now, you can tell they are far more athletic than their pre-2000s counter parts. They can strike the ball much harder and truer.

4. Speed hasn't been a factor for a long time to be honest. Bowling quicker just makes it easier for the batsman to use the pace on the ball. It's why the best death bowlers bowl so many cutters and slower balls.

MJJ

1. Two new balls has killed reverse swing & also made the game harder for spinners

2. New fielding restrictions - 2 outside the circle in the first 10, 4 outside of the circle in next 30 and then you're only allowed 5 in the last 10

3. Batsman are just better strikers and much stronger. Look at the average cricketer now, you can tell they are far more athletic than their pre-2000s counter parts. They can strike the ball much harder and truer.

4. Speed hasn't been a factor for a long time to be honest. Bowling quicker just makes it easier for the batsman to use the pace on the ball. It's why the best death bowlers bowl so many cutters and slower balls.
They really should do away with 1.

NinjaFletch

I agree, but I think by the biggest reason is an intangible one: mindset. Teams used to be happy taking a boundary early in the over and seeing the rest of it off. Hitting a 4 or a 6 and taking the single was seen as good batting and players who got out trying a big shot having already scored 5/6 runs off an over were seen as reckless. Now the talk is off big overs and cashing in. If you hit a 4 off the first ball straight away you're looking to get in to double figures for the over.

Change any of the other factors (for example the common reason given two years ago was BIG BATS and the change to regulate bat sizes has changed absolutely nothing) and I still think the genie is out of the bottle.

Tbh, I see scoring rates going up in both ODI and T20 cricket before they go down. Batsmen are still far too content to face dot balls.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I was saying before the tournament that every captain should decide to chase but the way this WC has developed, have captains learnt nothing? Halfway through the tournament, the highest successful chase is still below 250 (even that particular one was a right struggle for NZ). Chasing scores in world cups is different kind of pressure. Just follow the trends, bat first, get 280+ and you're pretty much in the driving seat.

Skills

Snitch
I was saying before the tournament that every captain should decide to chase but the way this WC has developed, have captains learnt nothing? Halfway through the tournament, the highest successful chase is still below 250 (even that particular one was a right struggle for NZ). Chasing scores in world cups is different kind of pressure. Just follow the trends, bat first, get 280+ and you're pretty much in the driving seat.
I think they are getting deceived by the overcast conditions. Funnily enough, I was reading this post on Reddit on how the conditions actually have no bearing on swing.

The reason the balls swings in English Tests is because of the seam of the Duke ball. It doesn't swing because of cloud cover. The entire thing is a placebo, because when the bowlers think the ball will swing they pitch the ball up and give it a chance to move.

So choosing to bowl because of conditions is pointless, because the white ball doesn't swing much anyway.

Skills

Snitch
How's he so useless against this bowling? I thought he would put them in the crowd today