Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

Rashford---Greenwood----Sancho :drool:

Youth, courage, success (?)

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
This is something I have always been thinking about so I'd like to hear people's opinion.

I was watching a video which had said that Sancho's best performances in a season for Dortmund came when he played centrally.

Could he play centrally for us? How would we line up? What are the benefits and negatives to this front line up?

Rashford Sancho Greenwood

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Has he missed some training due to illness? Or have I made that up?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Has he missed some training due to illness? Or have I made that up?
Ole said that I think, typical.
He had cotton wool in his ear when training first day, so might have had a bit of an ear infection?

It's fair to say I don't think we will see much of him against Leeds anyway.
This is something I have always been thinking about so I'd like to hear people's opinion.

I was watching a video which had said that Sancho's best performances in a season for Dortmund came when he played centrally.

Could he play centrally for us? How would we line up? What are the benefits and negatives to this front line up?

He never played centrally, he justs cuts inside from the wings and likes to link up in tight areas. He's great at the 1-2 give and go style of play and would rather do this to beat a man than run on the outside down the line.

As that video says he is at his best creating chances in the box for others to finish. In that lineup, there will never be anyone there to actually finish them.

He's also not a player who can play with his back to goal, something any centrally positioned forward needs to be at least capable of.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

He is Hazard-like. He does his best work on the inside, not on the outside - which is why he is naturally better suited to playing on the left than the right. He has the characteristics that could make him a good false 9 (if that is what you are suggesting), although his goalscoring is untested at the very highest level. I always thought Marco Reus was the more natural false 9 at Dortmund. Sancho is best from the left, especially in this league where it is some sort of battle of the androids and every club wants to sign players who are first and foremost fast and strong. Sancho will struggle to go on the outside of PL full backs to me.

Marwood

Gutted he's had another delay. Was really excited when Sancho and Varane were announced so early but these first few games now feel a bit worrisome.

I know some folk on here don't want to hear this but it's another reason you don't go from a 3 week holiday directly into a Premiership season.

Travelling, having a good time. We've all done it. We all know the week you return is a write off.

pascell

Gutted he's had another delay. Was really excited when Sancho and Varane were announced so early but these first few games now feel a bit worrisome.

I know some folk on here don't want to hear this but it's another reason you don't go from a 3 week holiday directly into a Premiership season.

Travelling, having a good time. We've all done it. We all know the week you return is a write off.
How do you mean, another delay?

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

I reckon he will be on the bench tomorrow if he's recovered from his illness. He was never going to start anyway.

UncleBob

I didn't know that, I couldn't see him starting vs Leeds anyway.
Doubt he was ever going to start, but if he's barely trained then less chance he's on the bench.

Considering the players we're missing up top, it would be rather handy to have Sancho available

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
How does a player who hasnt actually played for us yet have 24 pages in his performance thread :lol:

Zlatattack

I think we signed him for the right and that's where he'll add the real value. In my opinion we've been too reliant on our left hand side for attacks. Teams have gotten used to that. With Sancho on the right, we'll have a world class attacking threat from the right, if anyone neglects to defend it, they'll get punished. This means teams won't be able to be as compact against us as they have in the past, or will have to constantly shift left to right to defend either wing. This will give us more space and more opportunity to attack that space, especially with Bruno just behind the striker. He might be best on the left or centre maybe, but he'll be most effective for the team on the right.

Boavista

He never played centrally, he justs cuts inside from the wings and likes to link up in tight areas. He's great at the 1-2 give and go style of play and would rather do this to beat a man than run on the outside down the line.
He hasn't really played centrally up top but I'd argue he has played centrally as an attacking midfielder plenty of times, and not just cutting inside from the wings during a match. Not necessarily as the only attacking midfielder in a 4231 like Fernandes but as one of two AMs behind the striker.

Favre frequently had Dortmund play a 3421 where the wing backs provided the width, and players like Sancho, Reus or Brandt occupied a much more central role from the start. Similar to how Tuchel has Chelsea play a lot of the time, with Mount, Ziyech, Havertz sometimes playing similar roles. Although in a system like that I suppose the distinction between a winger cutting inside and an AM sometimes appearing on the wing is maybe a bit pedantic/arbitrary.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He hasn't really played centrally up top but I'd argue he has played centrally as an attacking midfielder plenty of times, and not just cutting inside from the wings during a match. Not necessarily as the only attacking midfielder in a 4231 like Fernandes but as one of two AMs behind the striker.

Favre frequently had Dortmund play a 3421 where the wing backs provided the width, and players like Sancho, Reus or Brandt occupied a much more central role from the start. Similar to how Tuchel has Chelsea play a lot of the time, with Mount, Ziyech, Havertz sometimes playing similar roles. Although in a system like that I suppose the distinction between a winger cutting inside and an AM sometimes appearing on the wing is maybe a bit pedantic/arbitrary.
Dortmund have played a 3-4-3 for the last few years.

If they played a 4-2-3-1 he was pretty much always on the wing. I watched Dortmund quite a lot last year and don't ever remember him playing as a 10.

Just because he drifts into those areas doesn't mean he is playing as an AM. His role is very different to say Fernandes.

Boavista

Dortmund have played a 3-4-3 for the last few years.

If they played a 4-2-3-1 he was pretty much always on the wing. I watched Dortmund quite a lot last year and don't ever remember him playing as a 10.

Just because he drifts into those areas doesn't mean he is playing as an AM. His role is very different to say Fernandes.
I was mainly talking about Dortmund under Favre who was let go in December. Yes they played 3-4-3 but not exclusively. A lot of the time it was more of a 3421 with two AMs behind the striker, so not a role like Fernandes but an attacking midfielder nonetheless.

I doubt it will happen much but it would be interesting to see Fernandes and Sancho play that role behind Cavani or whomever.

I was mainly talking about Dortmund under Favre who was let go in December. Yes they played 3-4-3 but not exclusively. A lot of the time it was more of a 3421 with two AMs behind the striker, so not a role like Fernandes but an attacking midfielder nonetheless.

I doubt it will happen much but it would be interesting to see Fernandes and Sancho play that role behind Cavani or whomever.
But we've been trying to fix a hole on the right for like 10 years! Why bring Sancho inside when that would mean there's still a gaping hole on our right flank? (Phrasing)

Boavista

But we've been trying to fix a hole on the right for like 10 years! Why bring Sancho inside when that would mean there's still a gaping hole on our right flank? (Phrasing)
I'm just saying it could be an interesting option here and there, for instance when Rashford/Greenwood are not be available for whatever reason.

Either way as I said earlier the line between a player like Sancho being one of two AMs behind the striker or being one of two wingers cutting in is blurry anyway. In Dortmund's 19/20 side the difference between calling it a 343 or 3421 was mainly whether the only other winger (Hazard) was playing, or whether Sancho played with one of the many AMs (Reus, Götze, Reyna, Brandt). Sancho's role itself didn't change all that much.

Norris Cole

Anyone thought of a song for Sancho yet?

Can't think of many words that rhyme with Sancho off the top of my head

steve88

Yer hence why he didn't come back last week as was ill as was meant to be back last Friday so I think this whole week he has been training

Status
Not open for further replies.