g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Jadon Sancho image 25

Jadon Sancho England flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roboc7

He just lacks any intensity and aggression so if things aren’t going his way he just drifts along. Unless that changes, which there is no indication it will, I don’t see how he will be anything other than a very expensive squad player.

criticalanalysis

This. He doesn't seem to handle high intensity, whether that is physical or mental issue I don't know.
Can't blame the club for going for him, it might not work in the end but that's how it is.
I do think it's worth to keep him for another season.
I think it's physical. His body is not used to or currently trained at a level to be doing xyz amount of high intensity sprints in a game (the way Antony does and on a separate note, I think part of the reason why the Brazilian is out for odd games here and there). So when he does need to do it i.e in transitions going forward or tracking back, he gets gassed faster. You can tell he's got lovely feet and a smart game but he really needs to be able to do dozens of short 1-5m or 5-10m sprints consistently in a game without feeling like his touch is going to get looser or his feet are not set to hold a ball/shrug a defender off.

ETH rates him so it would absolutely be worth keeping him until next season at the very least.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Oscillates between great and poor. Hopefully with more game time it’s more consistently the former.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He has never had a good 90 mins full performance when every other player in our squad has like Fred, AWB or even Maguire.

He is such a ‘few moments’ player. Think he is only really ever going to be a subs player.

His short passes are almost him not trying to take anybody on and his long passes are the wrong range and length and power.

He constantly running the ball in to someone else and loses possession.

Absolutely nuts that he was so highly rated and he is playing like this.

Esquire

I honestly think some of the responses in here are mental, he's just come back and was thrust into this game, don't think it was his best, but I have high hopes about him in the future.
Agree with you, the histrionics thrown up by some here are astonishing. We can all hope he will get back to his back but the actuality is that he is clearly not 100% back physically. He has also just come back from being deconstructed and rebuilt, and been playing quite a lot of minutes the last few games so he seems physically a step behind. Not making excuses for him as he has been underwhelming but he clearly has talent and if he gains some consistency he will be a very good player for us. I for one am willing to see how he fares until the end of this season.

amolbhatia50k

I honestly think some of the responses in here are mental, he's just come back and was thrust into this game, don't think it was his best, but I have high hopes about him in the future.
Yup. Having seen the game, the criticism is well over the top. He was alright but not terrible or anything.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
That header on the back post Barcelona nearly scored :lol: Ten Hag knew then he had to come off

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Kagawa returned to Dortmund
Mkhitaryan sold to Arsenal
Sancho.....?

The curious case of Dortmund wingers/midfielders. What worries me is how he still doesnt seem to be in top physical condition even after a long time away compared to his team mates that have had very little rest.

amolbhatia50k

Kagawa returned to Dortmund
Mkhitaryan sold to Arsenal
Sancho.....?

The curious case of Dortmund wingers/midfielders. What worries me is how he still doesnt seem to be in top physical condition even after a long time away compared to his team mates that have had very little rest.
Tenpoless sent to rawk

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It's ridiculous, they expect and demand a consistent run of excellent games/cameos and are ready to give up on a talented player whenever he plays badly

amolbhatia50k

I believe in his talent, my worry is only about his fitness. Obviously you can't perform well at the highest level if you're not fit.
I understand your concern and also feel physical (or possibly mental) robustness is the only thing stopping him from becoming a top class player. But it won’t happen overnight. It will take a period of growing in terms of performances and integration into a developing team to gain that

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I understand your concern and also feel physical (or possibly mental) robustness is the only thing stopping him from becoming a top class player. But it won’t happen overnight. It will take a period of growing in terms of performances and integration into a developing team to gain that
I really hope so. He was tearing teams apart in CL with Dortmund that's why it's odd when people criticized his pace when it was never an issue against top opponents. He was a tricky dribbler to play against and didn't rely on pace too much

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Very well said. Patience is key with him and Antony, it's not a guarantee they will fully unlock their talent but as fans, we have to support them

amolbhatia50k

Very well said. Patience is key with him and Antony, it's not a guarantee they will fully unlock their talent but as fans, we have to support them
Yes especially as we grow as a team. Rashford looked absolutely hopeless a little while back. Let’s see how the two of them (and Garnacho look come the end of the season / start of next year).

Idxomer

He actually started the game well and played some clever passes in the first 15 minutes. Once they scored, his head dropped and was never able to recover. This seems to be a frequent occurrence for him.

That said, I don't think any of our forwards were particularly good on the night.

Fluctuation0161

That idea should be explored.

Great managers are very rarely wrong about players are they, Pep didn't think he was worth fighting for.

He has all the tools but looks mentally weak to me. Maybe keep him as a squad option but no way he can be consider a first team regular now.
He's barely been back a few weeks. And he's stepped up to play. Give him some time FFS.

Fluctuation0161

He has never had a good 90 mins full performance when every other player in our squad has like Fred, AWB or even Maguire.

He is such a ‘few moments’ player. Think he is only really ever going to be a subs player.

His short passes are almost him not trying to take anybody on and his long passes are the wrong range and length and power.

He constantly running the ball in to someone else and loses possession.

Absolutely nuts that he was so highly rated and he is playing like this.
These comments are nuts considering the improvement Erik had had from players like Fred, Dalot, Rashford etc.

Give Erik some time to work with Sancho and support him. I predict he could become a great asset over the next few years. But he is still a work in progress.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Kind of worried about him. Very little intensity. Doesn't take initiative. Seems to float about in games hoping something goes well for him. I never watched him when he was at Dortmund. Is this a new thing or has he always been this way?

Another game where he is tidy but really struggles to make an impact. Its like he shrinks physically as the game goes on.

His technique is second to none. The way the ball sticks to his feet is miles better than anybody else in our team. There is a brilliant player in there and I hope ETH can bring it out of him.

zenith

He'll be great, I'm sure of it. I don't understand why we are being so fickle about him from game to game. Improvement is a process and Sancho is clearly improving.

Today he was up against one of the best dm's in the world and its not easy.

Looking forward to him scoring the winner on Sunday

MadMike

Can everyone just stop? The rhetoric around Sancho here is ridiculous. Yeah, he wasn't great today - but he's been bloody decent in his last few outings.

We were up against a very strong Barcelona team tonight. Not everyone is going to play a blinder. He's leaning a new role and he had an off day. And in any case, he wasn't THAT bad.
That is the correct assessment. No need for hyperbole. He just didn’t have a good game, playing a slightly new role against top tier opposition. Onwards and upwards

Stevondo8

Seems both Sancho and Garnacho are at their best coming from the bench at the moment. I think with Sancho it’s a match fitness thing and he’ll gradually grow into it this season, and we’ll probably see more out of him next season after a pre-season.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Can everyone just stop? The rhetoric around Sancho here is ridiculous. Yeah, he wasn't great today - but he's been bloody decent in his last few outings.

We were up against a very strong Barcelona team tonight. Not everyone is going to play a blinder. He's leaning a new role and he had an off day. And in any case, he wasn't THAT bad.
It's nothing to do with having a bad game, it's his total lack of intensity and physicality. He looks ponderous and slow and easily bullied.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
His form has been up and down since his return but when he's on it, he's fecking on it.

I think he hasn't been helped with the inconsistent minutes and moving from LW to 10 etc.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Hoping he starts again vs Newcastle. Rashford top, Antony on the right. Leave Weghorst on the bench, use Sabitzer and Garnacho as impact subs if needed

SungSam7

Can we maybe try him up top and play him like a Martial type player, he hasn't got the turn of pace to get past players but his link up play is much better than Martial and he seems more comfortable in the center of the pitch.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
His form has been up and down since his return but when he's on it, he's fecking on it.

I think he hasn't been helped with the inconsistent minutes and moving from LW to 10 etc.
Hm, not sure about that. He usually plays good when there's space to run (there wasn't any yesterday), he is always good in finding space for a short pass (we saw that yesterday as well, just sometimes it doesn't come off as that's a risky pass).
He always struggles with intensity of the game, especially when starting games. This has been the case before his sabbatical, seems to be the issue now as well. He does seem quicker, what I took as a good sign for his fitness level, but still struggling to play at pace for longer than 60.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I'd be looking to see what sort of fee we could get for him in summer, if I'm being honest.

romufc

I'd be looking to see what sort of fee we could get for him in summer, if I'm being honest.
Yep, unfortunately, he looks like he is not going to cut it. He seems to struggle to get past players.

I hope he can get some confidence and get to a player that can be useful.

kaku06

Vulgarian
Sorry for being harsh but the guy has no pace, poor fitness, zero intensity, none physicality and weak mentality. How are we or he supposed to overcome all of that?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Nice to see him back on the field/ in a better place etc... but I honestly think no amount of getting him in the right mental space will elevate him above anything more then a mostly average sometimes decent footballer.

Obviously I hope ETH can prove me very very wrong the beautiful bastard.

Eddy_JukeZ

I'm somewhat inclined to agree.

I just don't think he'll make it here. People will compare it to Rashford, but Rashford showed great form beforehand here. Sancho never really has.

Hopefully proves us wrong though.

Status
Not open for further replies.