5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Walters_19_MuFc

Mata better be looking over his shoulder, because Lingard's looking very good. Great goal and assist. Another good cameo from Jesse.

m1y2

1+1 as tidy as player can be and it's hardly his best position..

YouOnlyLiveTwice

He deserves to be in the squad this year, can be competition for the RW/LW spot, he is a very clinical finisher and good at linking up.

Sylar

Another pre-season, another good run out when called upon. Hope hes given games / minutes as he never looks out of place in the United shirt.

Winrar

Good performance, though I hope he steps up this season instead of ending up as just another year of pre-season wonder.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I'll be sad if we get Pedro and he doesn't get a fair crack at the first team.

Devil may care

Couldn't have done more with his 30 minutes, cool finish and quality assist, hopefully we can get hijm a good PL loan this season, maybe to Swansea or Everton.

NotQuiteManc

Maybe he could do with a move, and probably United can insert a buy back clause like what Barca and Real are doing at the moment. Needs game time playing in the highest level instead of loaning to championship team every year.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Maybe he could do with a move, and probably United can insert a buy back clause like what Barca and Real are doing at the moment. Needs game time playing in the highest level instead of loaning to championship team every year.
We could still send him out on loan to a decent club if LVG doesn't see the opportunity to fit him into the rotation. The talent is there, no doubt about it, and he's proven it for a second year in a row in preseason. I think if it wasn't for his injury last year, we'd be having an entirely different discussion right now.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Thought he was bloody brilliant today. Goal, assist and he picked out I think Adnan with another great ball. The assist in the other match too, he seems to pick out through balls with ease.

dasty

Has he ever been anything less than impressive in the pre-seasons for us?

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
He certainly has perseverance if nothing else. At the start of each of the last 3 seasons I've thought he's going to leave and yet he comes up with excellent performances. Deserves to start vs Spurs for me It's be a fecking crime if we signed Pedro when we've got someone really talented who can make the step up.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He certainly has perseverance if nothing else. At the start of each of the last 3 seasons I've thought he's going to leave and yet he comes up with excellent performances. Deserves to start vs Spurs for me It's be a fecking crime if we signed Pedro when we've got someone really talented who can make the step up.
Pedro is a far better player than Lingard though. Lingard is almost 23 and barely has any PL games to his name, Pedro is a multiple times CL and La Liga winner and a vital part of the best Barcelona line up in recent years. Pre-season games should not skew anyone's view.

ThanksBoss26

Didn't he score 4 goals once in a championship game on debut?
Yes for Birmingham.

I think Newcastle might come in for him in the next few weeks. McClaren is a fan so we'll have a decision to make as to whether we think he'll make it here.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Pedro is a far better player than Lingard though. Lingard is almost 23 and barely has any PL games to his name, Pedro is a multiple times CL and La Liga winner and a vital part of the best Barcelona line up in recent years. Pre-season games should not skew anyone's view.
One interesting thing to note is that Pedro's breakthrough season at Barca came when he was 22. Prior to that he'd been playing for their youth and reserve teams. So it's not necessarily too late for Lingard.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Yes, I know Pedro's better but Lingard deserves a chance to show what he can do. At some point you've simply got to the throw a player in and see what he does. Pedro wasn't exactly teenager when he made his mark either.

ThanksBoss26

One interesting thing to note is that Pedro's breakthrough season at Barca came when he was 22. Prior to that he'd been playing for their youth and reserve teams. So it's not necessarily too late for Lingard.
You feel it's now or never for Lingard here. I just wonder if the minutes might go to others ahead of him who we're looking to develop and block his route. I think van Gaal rates him, but with that in mind, he might offer him the chance to go elsewhere to play regularly if an offer arrives which I'm sure it will.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
One of the players you would love to see make it but he will need a lot of luck to fall his way. New signings will severely impact his chances.

shivab

has to go on loan. hes 22 and needs to be starting nearly every game and playing 90 mins. would be nice to see him at newcastle with him on one side and aarons on the other.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
has to go on loan. hes 22 and needs to be starting nearly every game and playing 90 mins. would be nice to see him at newcastle with him on one side and aarons on the other.
He wouldn't be guaranteed starts at any decent PL side. Newcastle have Cabella, Goufrann, de Jong, Riviere, Sissoko plus youngsters of their own they would like to develop (Aarons, Vuckic). Clubs would rather invest in their own players than loanees in terms of playing time unless they are a significant and immediate upgrade.

shivab

He wouldn't be guaranteed starts at any decent PL side. Newcastle have Cabella, Goufrann, de Jong, Riviere, Sissoko plus youngsters of their own they would like to develop (Aarons, Vuckic).
yeah youre right. im just hoping he gets a manager who believes in him like mcclaren does and a side that plays at a high level. he deserves so much better than what hes got so far. has not been rewarded for his patience yet.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
You always need someone in the team to do the dirty work. Not everyone can be the focal point of the attack. Sometimes I feel that Mata doesn't get used enough on the right side to be worth the spot, only so many playmakers can be fit into a team, at some point you need someone like Young or Park to do the running and spacing.

Of course Mata doesn't need to go to make that happen, but I can see an argument for Lingard on the right instead of Young on the left to do a lot of the dirty work. That would let us put Memphis or Pedro out left in lieu of Young, with Lingard doing the dirty work on the right side.

He can also provide goals and assists, probably more than Young. And he has the endless running and energy of a 23 year old. After barely playing last season his legs are super fresh, as far as wear and tear he's gained a year, in a sense, not wearing himself down over the last year.

He has a great understanding with Pereira and Januzaj, having played a lot with the former and a fair bit with the latter. This was evident in preseason. Of course it's just preseason, so we'll have to see if he can handle the weekly pressure of having to perform, if he does get a starting spot.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He has a great understanding with Pereira and Januzaj, having played a lot with the former and a fair bit with the latter.
Got that the wrong way around, he's played with Adnan a lot more than Andreas. I could only actually find 5 starts he shared with Andreas for the u21s and a further 3 times Andreas came on for about 10 minutes with Lingard on the pitch.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
The time for loaning is past for me. It's sink or swim time for him at United.

Reckon he'll do very well if he's given the chance.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I admit I writ him off. I know it's only pre season but there's something about him.
Don't say 'writ' again, or I'll kill you.

As for Jesse, he's not flashy, but is technically sound and has an instinct to score goals. The Ashley Young shot that got saved first half showed the difference in this respect. The game opened up for him, and he seemed reluctant to shoot for a few seconds, despite being open in the box on his stronger foot. It seemed once there was no pass on, he had no choice, so shot, with little conviction I think. A wide man like Jesse or Depay would be more direct and aggressive in such situations, if the shot is on they will take. This is why they will always get goals from wide.

LR7

A big part of me would rather we didn't buy Pedro and just gave Lingard and Januzaj games instead.

iBoss

i-ttack the space
Illuminati headquarters, chillin' with Jay Z.
Don't say 'writ' again, or I'll kill you.

As for Jesse, he's not flashy, but is technically sound and has an instinct to score goals. The Ashley Young shot that got saved first half showed the difference in this respect. The game opened up for him, and he seemed reluctant to shoot for a few seconds, despite being open in the box on his stronger foot. It seemed once there was no pass on, he had no choice, so shot, with little conviction I think. A wide man like Jesse or Depay would be more direct and aggressive in such situations, if the shot is on they will take. This is why they will always get goals from wide.
:lol: sorry

I think the first sentence describes Lingard pretty well though.

Revan

Assumptionman
Either play him or sell him. It would be pointless to send him in an another loan. He has been very good in a few pre-seasons now, so I hope he gets a fair spell in the team. Although looking at our attacking options (and also that Januzaj, Pereira and Wilson are more talented) I think that chances of him making it here are slim. He looks such an intelligent player though, and usually I like those types of players. Keeping him for a season in the first team and giving him the chance to prove himself is the right way to go, IMO.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
Honestly I'd rather see him given a chance rather than buy Pedro for big money.

Status
Not open for further replies.