Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Akshay

Staff
Good movement but no penetration whenever he got on the ball. He was one of the players contributing to the turgidity of that first half. Happy to see an academy player get minutes, but he doesn't look quite good enough yet.

Kag

He's a tidy player that doesn't look out of place in the team but he ultimately lacks the kind of quality needed to make it here, particularly as an attacker.

He did well last night, but his moves tended to break down when it most mattered.

SoCross

Im so happy for him.
This. I was so psyched when he started against Swansea. Thought the boat had passed for him to be honest after that but really glad to see him being given minutes! Hopefully he's given more gametime though I suspect if Young and Mata were available, he won't even see the bench.

itso 7

He's a tidy player that doesn't look out of place in the team but he ultimately lacks the kind of quality needed to make it here, particularly as an attacker.

He did well last night, but his moves tended to break down when it most mattered.
Like the quality that Young, Valencia or Ji Sung Park had? He is still finding his feet in the first team and hopefully when he does we will have a squad option that can fill in when needed like he did today. I'd rather a player from the youth team occupy that squad role than spend millions on an equally limited squad player.

khoazany

Love to see Memphis being given excuses after excuses but Lingard was deemed not good enough after his second start ever for the first team and his first ever CL match.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I've said before that I see similar traits as Thomas Mueller in him. I could see him potentiallty developing similarly, even if not to a Manchester United standard (whatever that is these days).

khoazany

1 Lingard is older. 2 Lingard has done nothing in his career. 3 Memphis is more talented
1.Lingard is a late bloomer and it's much harder to break through at top English club's academies 2.Morrison was more talented than both of them, where is he now?There are more things about football than talent.

I'm not saying Lingard will become the better player (I doubt it) but these points are really misleading and (some) people are too quick to jump on their guns here.

Last edited:

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Did well, deserves to be ahead of Memphis in the pecking order.

Ixion

I thought he did alright, he's only played a couple of senior games so you can't expect too much but I don't think he has looked that out of place.

Kag

Like the quality that Young, Valencia or Ji Sung Park had? He is still finding his feet in the first team and hopefully when he does we will have a squad option that can fill in when needed like he did today. I'd rather a player from the youth team occupy that squad role than spend millions on an equally limited squad player.
I'm not sure I agree with the quality comparison.

Park was a very good player and Young and Valencia were once two of the better wingers in the Premier League. If Lingard has a career as good as those two then he's done very, very well.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I dont see how based on last night anyone can claim he is lacking in quality. He stuck to the instructions from above to the letter. Its obvious we has little desire to get three points. That is why both he, Martial and Valencia didnt prioritise running at their full backs till we badly needed the goal....we instead had them cutting in to keep possesion

itso 7

I'm not sure I agree with the quality comparison.

Park was a very good player and Young and Valencia were once two of the better wingers in the Premier League. If Lingard has a career as good as those two then he's done very, very well.
We have time to find out whether he will have as good a career but that can't stop us from giving him a squad role until we find out one way or the other. He hasn't cost us points (too small a sample size to make a definitive assessment) and hasn't looked out of place playing in the first team at two of the toughest away venues in European football, he deserves to be given the chance to fail not to be dismissed outright when we have bought and given more chances to worse players over the years.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
Any highlights vids of him? I had to miss the first 30 minutes of the game but my impression was that he's decent on the ball, knows how to "attack the space" but didn't quite have the final ball.

Edit: I only speak in clichés now.

Last edited:

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He didnt offer much either. A couple of times I thought he should take on his man but never did. Showed some good movement though

Kag

We have time to find out whether he will have as good a career but that can't stop us from giving him a squad role until we find out one way or the other. He hasn't cost us points (too small a sample size to make a definitive assessment) and hasn't looked out of place playing in the first team at two of the toughest away venues in European football, he deserves to be given the chance to fail not to be dismissed outright when we have bought and given more chances to worse players over the years.
I'm all for giving him chances and I agree he didn't look out of place. But based on what I've seen of him at youth level, reserve level and the small amount of game time he's got at senior level here, I don't think he'll be good enough.

I could well be wrong, but that's my gut feeling as of right now.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He didnt offer much either. A couple of times I thought he should take on his man but never did. Showed some good movement though
On the contrary, I thought he was pretty good first half, faded a bit in the second, but even then one of the few players who carried the ball forward.
When he got the ball, he usual first instinct was to turn and go forward, huge contrast to anyone else on the team.
He even almost got Rooney in with a through ball, but tbh his execution (And Rooneys position) were both a lil poor.

I for one have never seen anything particularly special about him, but when I have seen him play (yday and for Derby i think) he seems to be very effective.

kundalini

I thought he played reasonably well. I noticed a couple of passes that he under-hit but otherwise he didn't do much wrong.

I'd like to see Lingard get at least 10 starts this season. Then it might be possible to assess his attacking contribution.

m1y2

I thought he played reasonably well. I noticed a couple of passes that he under-hit but otherwise he didn't do much wrong.

I'd like to see Lingard get at least 10 starts this season. Then it might be possible to assess his attacking contribution.
Yes and after that we decide whether to keep him as a squad player or let him go to some midtable team in the Prem. Assesing him after one and a half of start in both tough away games is ridiculous considering he certainly was instructed to help the defense and was said to play it tidy. You could see Herrera at times is too tidy as well, it's Van Gaal's drill, you make mistake play it too risky lose too many balls and you're dropped.

Lingard is tidy player by nature but he certainly has attacking qualities which he can show once he grew in confidence and cement his place in the team. He can't go out and try things all game and expect Van Gaal to pick him the next game. It's not even his best position. Lingard's best games come from CAM position and I think he could play even deeper, sort of attacking b2b midfielder. He's not quick enough to play as winger, neither he is as polished dribbler as it needs to be for that position but he's certainly good enough dribbler to play deeper, he has fantastic movement, works hard for the team, links up the play really well across the pitch, can carry the ball forward, pick a pass here and there, he's got good vision and maturity about him which is needed in the middle of the pitch.

I don't think we could have expected more from him last game as CSKA had been closing the play down really quickly and there was no space for pass especially when you have the pub player up front.. I really liked how he roamed around the pitch with purpose, he's got some playmaking qualities for sure and looked our most lively player who wants to mae something happen but again it was too tight yesterday and we will see what he can bring when we play at OT.

Hard to predict now but in few years time when we decide to sell young he could be that good squad player to have in the team, he so versatile so he can paly almost anywhere. he's got the discipline and brain to get those chances from Van Gaal and he certainly has bigger potential than someone like Blind who so far got huge amount of time on the pitch. Also his career could go really upwards if Van Gaal puts trust in him like Fergie did with Fletcher who looked really out of his depth first couple of years and then boom became one of our most important players due to his hardwork and manager's trust

jb8521

Any highlights vids of him? I had to miss the first 30 minutes of the game but my impression was that he's decent on the ball, knows how to "attack the space" but didn't quite have the final ball.

Edit: I only speak in clichés now.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
Call me crazy but I'd happily see Rooney benched for him on Sunday with Martial playing up front if Young still isn't fit.

Classical Mechanic

He is technically very good and has a goal in him but I think United is too big a club for him. He is 23 soon so it shows you how long we have waited for him to grow a pair. Too timid on the pitch for United if you ask me.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He actually started last season as a makeshift wingback against Swansea, didn't he?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Doesn't look out of place in our team at all, he should easily become our squad player, IMO.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
Got a bit more physicality than Mata. There's a good player in there but it's testament to how poor our other options are that he even gets a look in to be fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.