g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Jesse Lingard image 14

Jesse Lingard England flag

2018-19 Performances

View full 2018-19 profile

4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

L1nk

I present the haters. Yes i've quoted some posters more than once
I still maintain that he is an average player, if I see this kind of performance on a consistent basis, which he has never been able to do in his entire career so far, i'm more than happy to eat my words because it means we'd have a fantastic homegrown player on our hands, but he has these kinds of matches once in a blue moon and every other time he just isn't that good, he needs that consistency, especially now that he's 26.

Hopefully he can take this clean slate that everyone has and kick on after todays great performance from him

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I present the haters. Yes i've quoted some posters more than once. My favorite one is the repeated line about him 'representing everything wrong' about this club.
Not a hater, if a player plays like shit, he will get called out on it. I only truly hated Mourinho when it comes to a person being linked with Mourinho. He had a great game but I don't rate him highly

JoaquinJoaquin

Won't get any criticism from me for that tonight. Good performance from him, similar to how he plays for England.

meamth

I still maintain that he is an average player, if I see this kind of performance on a consistent basis, which he has never been able to do in his entire career so far, i'm more than happy to eat my words because it means we'd have a fantastic homegrown player on our hands, but he has these kinds of matches once in a blue moon and every other time he just isn't that good, he needs that consistency, especially now that he's 26.

Hopefully he can take this clean slate that everyone has and kick on after todays great performance from him
Under a more attacking manager? Oh yes there's no doubt he will.

Loublaze

ATLien
Not a hater, if a player plays like shit, he will get called out on it. I only truly hated Mourinho when it comes to a person being linked with Mourinho. He had a great game but I don't rate him highly
Fair enough

Hoof the ball

I think the same naysayers who can't fathom Lingard's upside are the same ones who can't quite work out why Wijnaldum and Milner look a million bucks for Liverpool. Different players have certain qualities that aren't so intangible to the eye. Their effect isn't as obvious as a piece of skill or a sublime through-ball. Sometimes it's a case of relentless running, pressing and movement on and off the ball, which makes others look better. (See Benzema for Madrid).

meamth

I think the same naysayers who can't fathom Lingard's upside are the same ones who can't quite work out why Wijnaldum and Milner look a million bucks for Liverpool. Different players have certain qualities that aren't so intangible to the eye. Their effect isn't as obvious as a piece of skill or a sublime through-ball. Sometimes it's a case of relentless running, pressing and movement on and off the ball, which makes others look better. (See Benzema for Madrid).
Yes I'm pretty confident you can't win games with 11 Martial. No way.

Lingard brings the best of others, and he will be important for us if he kicks on from here.

People are saying that this is the time for Rashford to make his mark, I think this is for Lingard too.

I believe in him, i trust what the coaches saw in him since he was a kid.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I think he has a part at man United. I do like him but hes not a good enough starter I think. Unless we sort out quality everywhere else he can be a good runner maybe

Fridge chutney

Jesse was never ever the problem. At worst he's a fantastic squad/impact player. At best he can become part of an integrated and cohesive attacking unit.

Man of the match alongside Pogba.

SSSSnake

Good team performance and looking ahead for a good run now. Pogba, Martial, Jesse, Rashy have so much to give. Loved seeing the smile back on their faces!

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
@Loublaze . So after one game, we are all wrong about Lingard? Come on, lets wait a bit. If he keeps playing like this , i will be the first who will say; I was wrong.
But now, this is huge overreaction.

Last edited:

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Actually posted right before the pen he'd been a bit of the weak link in the attack. Fluttered about as always but most touches were not as neat as Pogba/Martial.

But, his movement - particularly late in matches - can be the difference maker.

Still would expect a firing Sanchez to get in the team ahead of him.

Loublaze

ATLien
@Loublaze . So after one game, we are all wrong about Lingard? Come on, lets wait a bit. If he keep playing like this , i will be the first who will say; I was wrong.
But now, this is huge overreaction.
Its not a huge overreaction at all. Look at all the posts I quoted, some were filled with personal attacks and nothing but pure hatred. Do you think he represents everything wrong about the club? Your post was actually balanced I only included it because you thought the next manager should keep him on the bench

Cloud7

Anyone seen the caption on his latest IG post?

“#StopDancingTheySaid”

I love it. Keep showing up the dinosaurs who can’t seperate your personal life from your professional life Jesse.

BBer13

a player like lingard loves movement and players roaming out of position and creating space. Under mourinho this hardly ever happened, under Ole we will see more freedom in terms of our attacking play which means lingard gets more chance to move around the pitch and drift into areas he can cause trouble. Whether or not he will be a top quality player for us is up for debate but under ole he stands a far better chance of reaching his potential and proving why he should start for manchester united.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Its not a huge overreaction at all. Look at all the posts I quoted, some were filled with personal attacks and nothing but pure hatred. He represents everything wrong about the club huh?
He is a average player who played in first 11 for United whole year and was awful. One game can't erase 30 shit games. So yes, it is huge overreaction.
The same way some another poster can now create/bump thread " Phil Jones is best English defender"
Again if Lingard keeps playing like this, then great. I will be happy to eat my words

Loublaze

ATLien
He is a average player who played in first 11 for United whole year and was awful. One game can't erase 30 shit games. So yes, it is huge overreaction.
The same way some another poster can now create/bump thread " Phil Jones is best English defender"
Again if Lingard keeps playing like this, then great. I will be happy to eat my words
You can't even begin to compare Jones with Lingard even in the shitshow we just had under Mourinho. Lingard's contributions to this team deserve more acknowledgment

King Andow

I present the haters. Yes i've quoted some posters more than once. My favorite one is the repeated line about him 'representing everything wrong' about this club.
So one game against Cardiff and he's world class? Stinking up the place in 15/16, 16/17, 17/18 and at the start of 18/19, but who cares, right?
I stand by what I said, he'll never be good enough to be a starter in this club. If he keeps perfoming like today, I won't have a problem with him as a squad player, we'll see.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
So one game against Cardiff and he's world class? Stinking up the place in 15/16, 16/17, 17/18 and at the start of 18/19, but who cares, right?
I stand by what I said, he'll never be good enough to be a starter in this club. If he keeps perfoming like today, I won't have a problem with him as a squad player, we'll see.
Vaguely mental reaction to that performance. Surely it illustrates what his qualities are and suggests, as with so many others, why we haven't consistently seen him at his best. He was made for this kind of football.

Classical Mechanic

If he gets two goals and assist every game he’ll win the Ballon D’Or.

Ashley R1+O

Genuinely bizarre why people hate this guy, absolute wizard off the ball in the spaces. A joy to watch.

Eddy_JukeZ

He was much better in the 2nd half.

I think his passing between the lines is a bit erratic at times, and I wish he could be more precise at that.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Genuinely bizarre why people hate this guy, absolute wizard off the ball in the spaces. A joy to watch.
Not as much of a wizard ON the ball I guess.

I think he’s a good player, I’m certainly a fan and have defended him plenty. But his running off the ball isn’t enough for him to play as often as he does for United. He doesn’t have enough quality, nor positional discipline. He’s not so good so as to allow him to be the one player who goes where he likes. Let that be Pogba if anything.

Personally, I wouldn’t mind seeing him as a false 9, with Rashford right side. But the other way round, you will never really see him stay on the right at all. Robertson had the freedom of the wing last week.

Aloysius's Back 3

He is a pivot player in our attacks.

He gives that added player to either take defenders away from the ball or takes the ball directly away from the defenders instead.

He is a good player that is hated upon due to some of the final passes he makes - but is a player that is particularly helpful to strikers like Rashford & Martial.

Red Viking

People need to stop going way overboard with the praise for mediocre players just because they perform occasionally as mediocre players do. He is not some super player that proved everyone wrong because he had one good game in almost a year against a championship quality side. He is not the king of off the ball movement nor the amazing goal scorer but he is a decent player and nothing more as he performs like decent players does at the other mid-table clubs does. The players at our club gets excessive praise for occasional good performances in over a season and they can get away with 1 good performance in 5 games. They somehow gets to be treated like our great players of the last 26 years by what seems a majority of our fans just without actually earning that status because our fans are too desperate for heroes.

Let them actual earn this big praise over a season challenging for the PL + CL for real before giving them all this praise, and that includes Jesse Lingard. This excessive hero worshipping of players that in noway have earned that status is detrimental to players at our club as they have to do very little to earn the status of super stars at our club. It would be far better to let them earn it through hard work first to not let become complacent or thinking they are super stars before they actually perform anywhere near one.

Mainoldo

People need to stop going way overboard with the praise for mediocre players just because they perform occasionally as mediocre players do. He is not some super player that proved everyone wrong because he had one good game in almost a year against a championship quality side. He is not the king of off the ball movement nor the amazing goal scorer but he is a decent player and nothing more as he performs like decent players does at the other mid-table clubs does. The players at our club gets excessive praise for occasional good performances in over a season and they can get away with 1 good performance in 5 games. They somehow gets to be treated like our great players of the last 26 years by what seems a majority of our fans just without actually earning that status because our fans are too desperate for heroes.

Let them actual earn this big praise over a season challenging for the PL + CL for real before giving them all this praise, and that includes Jesse Lingard. This excessive hero worshipping of players that in noway have earned that status is detrimental to players at our club as they have to do very little to earn the status of super stars at our club. It would be far better to let them earn it through hard way first to not let become complacent or thinking they are super stars before they actually perform anywhere near one.
Some people don’t really understand football which is why Rio Ferdinand and Ryan Giggs get Lingard’s quality and then there’s you.

Red Viking

Some people don’t really understand football which is why Rio Ferdinand and Ryan Giggs get Lingard’s quality and then there’s you.
Non of the big European clubs would be interested in buying Jesse Lingard for a reason and that is he dosn´t perform for like a top quality footballer over a season as he lacks key attributes for a attacker up front and that is passing and creativity + pace and acceleration to lead the line for a club that challenges for the biggest honours in football.

Rio Ferdinand and Ryan Giggs both have vested interests in staying on the clubs good side and thus overly praise players in the media. If Lingard was so good as many here proclaims then he would not have been so poor for so long as good players will perform regularly even if their manager isn´t doing a very good job because they have the quality.

Raven

It's as clear as day that this fella is a great squad player. People get carried away with themselves. SAF had a number of great teams, they weren't all Beckham, Giggs and Ronaldo level players. These teams were built on players like John O'Shea, Park Ji Sung and Wes Brown.

Lingard is exactly this type of player, and I for one am delighted to have someone like him in the squad.

Red Stone

He'll always do a job if we keep playing like we did today. He's not the most talented player or anything, but he understands where to move and how to add fluidity to attacks. Must be a nuisance to play against. A bit like a Thomas Müller Light.

Mainoldo

Non of the big European clubs would be interested in buying Jesse Lingard for a reason and that is he dosn´t perform for like a top quality footballer over a season as he lacks key attributes for a attacker up front and that is passing and creativity + pace and acceleration to lead the line for a club that challenges for the biggest honours in football.

Rio Ferdinand and Ryan Giggs both have vested interests in staying on the clubs good side and thus overly praise players in the media. If Lingard was so good as many here proclaims then he would not have been so poor for so long as good players will perform regularly even if their manager isn´t doing a very good job because they have the quality.
Would any of the big clubs want Vasquez; Perisic; Rafinha; Mane; Mahrez. Your statement is just wierd. You do know Messi Lingod is just light banter. No one is claiming he’s the new Ryan Giggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.