4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Simbo

Not many fans of Lingard on here at the moment I know, he's been dire in the final third. However its been clear to me how much our midfield goes to shit when he gets subbed off.

I know we were already struggling against spurs from beginning of 2nd half but it did make things worse. Against Brighton it was telling, without him just constantly making himself available in a bit of space to link a few passes together, we lost control.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Not many fans of Lingard on here at the moment I know, he's been dire in the final third. However its been clear to me how much our midfield goes to shit when he gets subbed off.

I know we were already struggling against spurs from beginning of 2nd half but it did make things worse. Against Brighton it was telling, without him just constantly making himself available in a bit of space to link a few passes together, we lost control.
I thought we were quite poor prior to Lingard coming off - and whilst I appreciate his work ethic and off the ball movement, I just want to see Sanchez in his role among Rashford and Martial for a few games.

ArjenIsM3

Then why don't we play him in a midfield role? With the players we have that are in-form right now we're better off playing 4-4-2 diamond than trying to fit him in as a right sided attacker. Play Lingard as CAM behind Martial and Rashford, Pogba on the left, Herrera on the right, Matic sitting. Or did we play that way against Brighton? Match wasn't broadcast here so didn't get to watch it.

Simbo

I thought we were quite poor prior to Lingard coming off - and whilst I appreciate his work ethic and off the ball movement, I just want to see Sanchez in his role among Rashford and Martial for a few games.
We weren't great, but it made things worse. I definitely also want to see Sanchez, as far as I'm concerned he's not played a single game in a united shirt yet and I'm excited to see what he can do!

AgentP

He's a decent player but his goal and assist contribution is just not good enough for a team like United. Sanchez can easily take his place if he can even get back to 80% of his peak level.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I hate seeing that kind of player in front 3 because he offers nothing. Also that "clever movement" is hugely overrated here. People mention that only because it is his best trait. Alexis and Rashford have that also but we will never mention that. We will watch their final balls and goals. But with Lingard it is always about that. Never mind that he didn't do anything else except that running.

If we will not sell him( in todays market we can get very good fee for him) why not try him in midfield? In box to box position? I think that he will be better there with his energy.

ForestRGoinUp

I hate seeing that kind of player in front 3 because he offers nothing. Also that "clever movement" is hugely overrated here. People mention that only because it is his best trait. Alexis and Rashford have that also but we will never mention that. We will watch their final balls and goals. But with Lingard it is always about that. Never mind that he didn't do anything else except that running.

If we will not sell him( in todays market we can get very good fee for him) why not try him in midfield? In box to box position? I think that he will be better there with his energy.
It’s a good point about his movement being comparable to Alexis and Rashford but judged entirely differently - on account of the other skills he lacks.

And I think he might not be great in midfield because he’s quite weak on the ball - taps it back to where it came from sure but weak in traffic with bodies around him. And he doesn’t have the vision or longer passing accuracy to play there. Which is also why playing him at the top of a diamond works defensively - he will harass a CDM - but in attack he doesn’t have the goods to play our forwards through or finish off his chances at a good enough clip.

We’ll take another step when he’s upgraded and becomes a squad player, but we’ll fight for titles when there are multiple players ahead of him and he’s fighting for a spot on the bench.

Litch

Can you honestly pinpoint yesterday what he did that made us win the match?. It reminds me of nevillles “silent domination”. In this formation we need more of an individual threat out wide to break down teams.

Lingard is great when a match is stretched and he gets more Space. These games aren’t for him.
I said contributed to winning games which I still believe, can he be upgraded yes but you could say the same for most of the team. I think often we look for 'youtube' moments when there's more to contributing than that. Lingard is very unselfish in his play and his work can easily go unnoticed.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I said contributed to winning games which I still believe, can he be upgraded yes but you could say the same for most of the team. I think often we look for 'youtube' moments when there's more to contributing than that. Lingard is very unselfish in his play and his work can easily go unnoticed.
I don’t doubt he’s got a place in the team, but for games like yesterday a player like Zaha to keep the width / take on the fullback would be much better.

Let Pogba / martial / Rashford create the triangle one side and have a speedy Killer on the other.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.

Exactly. Yeah he has great movement and all but his output is just very bad. When you compare what the front 3 of other teams are doing, Lingard falls way behind them. Squaddie at best if we aspire to be better

Litch

I don’t doubt he’s got a place in the team, but for games like yesterday a player like Zaha to keep the width / take on the fullback would be much better.

Let Pogba / martial / Rashford create the triangle one side and have a speedy Killer on the other.
I'm pretty sure he's not making decisions of where he's playing......

Litch

Like already said, if we are talking upgrades, that's applicable to probably most of the players. He's not the answer but it's hardly like there are others in the club who are. Sanchez is a viable option but only based on his Arsenal form and nothing we've seen consistently here as yet.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Do you truly fail to recognise the distinction between work rate complementing one's game, and work rate being one's game? Beckham, Kante etc are great players made better by their phenomenal work rate. Lingard, in contrast, occupies the latter category: his game depends entirely on his work rate.

By the way, not sure when I said that what Lingard does is 'easy'; also not sure when I suggested that I could do the same. I couldn't, he's definitely better at football than I am - he could almost be a professional.

So you genuinely believe that all Lingard does is run around having a high workrate? Also I was responding to being laughed at for someone having world class work rate. It is a very legitimate aspect of the game so I don't see the joke there.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Listen I like Lingard, time for Sanchez though. Let's see if we can get him integrated in this team with Martial and Rashford.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
So you genuinely believe that all Lingard does is run around having a high workrate? Also I was responding to being laughed at for someone having world class work rate. It is a very legitimate aspect of the game so I don't see the joke there.
First of all, some people talk about his movement like it is something out of this world. Like other players don't have that. And the joke is that work rate is something which all players have. Some more some less, but it is basic thing. Like passing or ball control. Lingard is lacking in nearly everything what makes class attacking player and that "world class" movement is just nearly not enough. When we mentioned Rashford's or Martial's or Alexis movement? Never. And they have also excellent movement. Martial for example is excellent in playing one-two with others. We always talk how many goals they scored or how many chances they created.

Last edited:

Djemba-Djemba

It's the same issue with him since he broke into the first team.

If we want to be challenging for the title and the Champions League we can't be having Lingard as a regular starter every week. He's not good enough.

He'd be fine as an option from the bench and to bring in when we need to rotate.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
First of all, some people talk about his movement like it is something out of this world. Like other players don't have that. And the joke is that work rate is something which all players have. Some more some less, but it is basic thing. Like passing or ball control. Lingard is lacking in nearly everything what makes class attacking player and that "world class" movement is just nearly not enough. When we mentioned Rashford's or Martial's or Alexis movement? Never. And they have also excellent movement. Martial for example is excellent in playing one-two with others. We always talk how many goals they scored or how many chances they created.
Sorry but you're wrong about this. His movement is incredibly good. Please ask anyone who has seen the games live and they'll tell you how he's constantly causing problems with his movement.

Not all players have the ability to know when to press, when not to and where to make the most effective runs also keeping that up for 90 mins. I agree we need an upgrade on Lingard and he lacks a lot of technical ability but let's not reduce a player to nothing. The way you people are describing him he wouldn't make it to Newcastles side.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Sorry but you're wrong about this. His movement is incredibly good. Please ask anyone who has seen the games live and they'll tell you how he's constantly causing problems with his movement.

Not all players have the ability to know when to press, when not to and where to make the most effective runs also keeping that up for 90 mins. I agree we need an upgrade on Lingard and he lacks a lot of technical ability but let's not reduce a player to nothing. The way you people are describing him he wouldn't make it to Newcastles side.
Well...:wenger::wenger::lol::lol:

Red Devil's Advocate

Reds on this thread, I would recommend that you just give it a break. This is turning into a Witch Hunt . Just like we cannot have Pep and have to make the most of our Ole, similarly we cannot have KdB and have to learn to love what we have. Enjoy the weekend :)

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Got into a debate a month or so ago on here about how Sanchez was better than Jesse, even the Sanchez we have. Still stand by that. Because Sanchez has been far below his normal level doesn’t mean Lingard is better than him. Apart from a spell last December/January - he has not been as good as Alexis himself. The current Alexis, that is.

Kostov

Got into a debate a month or so ago on here about how Sanchez was better than Jesse, even the Sanchez we have. Still stand by that. Because Sanchez has been far below his normal level doesn’t mean Lingard is better than him. Apart from a spell last December/January - he has not been as good as Alexis himself. The current Alexis, that is.
This, counting that Sanchez follows Ole's instructions and plays the role assigned to him. If he fails, we need a RW in the summer.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
He’s a great player to have around the squad but he’s far too flakey in front of goal to cement a regular place in the first team (if we’re to get a lot better, anyway).

It isn’t a one off either. His finishing is bizarre in that the range between his bottom level and top level is just too big.
This is spot on. When on form he can dribble past three players and smash it into the corner and make it look easy, and the very next game he can miss a complete sitter. I like Jesse, but he has to be one of the most erratic players ive seen

ravelston

Got two observations. First is that we just play better when Lingard starts. I don't know why but it's been really obvious for the last year or so. Second is that our play (which at that point was actually pretty good) went completely to sh*t when we signed Sanchez. He's almost the anti-Lingard in the way he breaks attacking moves down instead of keeping the ball moving.

Aarron Swift

When he broke through into the 1st team & for at least 2/3 seasons I wasn’t a fan at all, I’m never going to be into his dances or anything he does in social media however that’s me being old before my time.

As a player my opinion of Lingard has completely changed. He works hard, has got some big goals for us as well. To be honest last season I found his decision making & overall end product was ahead of both Rashford & Martial (not saying he’s a better player, has more potential or anything like that, just purely based on last season).

Although they seem like polar opposites in every sense, Lingards work rate & attitudes in games as well as popping up with big goals (FA Cup & League Cup Final, Winner vs Chelsea, 2 goals at Emirates 3-1 Win) could see him a player in the squad similar to how Ji-Sung Park was a big game player for the great 06-2011 United Side, not always a starter, some games just don’t suit him but in a big game where we need compete, close down, very valuable player

Reactions: golden_blunder

Aloysius's Back 3

When he broke through into the 1st team & for at least 2/3 seasons I wasn’t a fan at all, I’m never going to be into his dances or anything he does in social media however that’s me being old before my time.

As a player my opinion of Lingard has completely changed. He works hard, has got some big goals for us as well. To be honest last season I found his decision making & overall end product was ahead of both Rashford & Martial (not saying he’s a better player, has more potential or anything like that, just purely based on last season).

Although they seem like polar opposites in every sense, Lingards work rate & attitudes in games as well as popping up with big goals (FA Cup & League Cup Final, Winner vs Chelsea, 2 goals at Emirates 3-1 Win) could see him a player in the squad similar to how Ji-Sung Park was a big game player for the great 06-2011 United Side, not always a starter, some games just don’t suit him but in a big game where we need compete, close down, very valuable player
Exactly & top post. The problem is - at a time we dont have the C.Ronaldo's, Tevez's, rooney's, rio's and Vidic's - the importance of a player like Lingard or Park becomes null. I think the importance of Lingard will be seen once we improve as a team. Whilst we still rely on the likes of Jones, Darmian, Valencia etc - Lingard seems just like another average player lying amongst many others.

We have seen him play as a LM, RM, CAM, SS (against chelsea he was amazing in that game with rashford), a false 9 - I expect him to add CM to the list soon. His uses are plenty and whilst he may seem like just a player to cover a gap - that is an important player to have in a squad; especially when he can do the dirty hard work whilst providing a goal or an assist when at times we need it.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Martial's movement is by far his biggest weakness, and if it doesn't improve it'll probably be the thing that stops him ever reaching his potential. He would be far more dangerous with better off-the-ball movement which would allow him to get on the ball more often and also in more dangerous positions.

Lingard has better movement and workrate than any of our other attacking options. Rashford is the only one remotely close, but Lingard is still better. He also is very good at playing one-two's with others. Overall he provides enough that he should be quite a good squad player; it's not his fault that he's currently being expected to be more than that. That is something that should hopefully be fixed for next season.

Arsenal 1:3 Man Utd

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Really good performance, worked his socks off, took his goal really well and absolutely loved the aggression going after the Arsenal players for starting on his mate :lol:

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Really good performance, worked his socks off, took his goal really well and absolutely loved the aggression going after the Arsenal players for starting on his mate :lol:
Loved the fight too! Been missing that from United for a while. I've gotta say I've always been critical of Lingard, but he's been great recently, he's another Park Ji Sung.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Cracking game today, worked and worked and was an utter thorn in Arsenals side. Took his goal well although I thought he'd taken too long. Felt sorry for Rom with his celebration ignoring him.

Ban

About 3 of them were confronting him and he held his own.

Kag

I criticised his finishing last week (and it is an issue, at times) but he hasn’t half turned into a bloody good player at this level.

He’s never going to be a world beater but he’s such a great option to be in and around the first team.

Status
Not open for further replies.