5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SambaBoy

Didn't do anything really. If we are happy with them performances these days, then our expectations have went down massively.

He doesn't offer anything technically or physically. He can't dribble, can't play the killer ball, hasn't got an engine where he can hassle opponents and win it high up the pitch, and can't get the ball on the half turn and run towards goal because he has no strength or pace.

He's never going to let us down and give away the ball multiple times in a game like Mkhi might do but at the same time, he won't win us a game on his own or have a telling contribution over a season. We definitely need an upgrade.

decorativeed

Mata will not be a Manchester Utd player next season. He has been poor this season.
He's had a couple of poor games on the bounce, and apparently that's enough for people to say he's finished.

Can't think of a player who hasn't had a prolonged run of poor games for us in the past few years, so it's surprising we've still got any players left, I suppose.

Frank Grimes

He's had a couple of poor games on the bounce, and apparently that's enough for people to say he's finished.

Can't think of a player who hasn't had a prolonged run of poor games for us in the past few years, so it's surprising we've still got any players left, I suppose.
He is not a player who has ever really convinced though for a sustained period at United and now he seems he is on the decline.

Roboc7

Not good enough and having really poor season so far, it's very hard to see point in persisting with him beyond this season. He hasn't been a bad signing but not really a good one either, hasn't looked like the player he was at Chelsea and I think we have seen enough now to admit he will never be good enough and move on.

He isn't helped by fact there is no attacking threat from the right back but the game has moved on now and there plenty of players with mata's technical skills who also have pace and can dribble past players.

Ludens the Red

Not had a good season at all, even in previous seasons whilst unspectacular he would always have an impact at some point, goals or assists. Now he literally does nothing. He's not as bad as Lingard and Mkhitaryan but he's basically a waste of a spot. You can't be this ineffective playing in a front three at Manchester United, it's completely unacceptable.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Not had a good season at all, even in previous seasons whilst unspectacular he would always have an impact at some point, goals or assists. Now he literally does nothing. He's not as bad as Lingard and Mkhitaryan but he's basically a waste of a spot. You can't be this ineffective playing in a front three at Manchester United, it's completely unacceptable.
The odd goal and even rarer assists were masking that he's been playing like this for years.

Sentient Meat

I'd rather keep Mata over Mkhitaryan, sure Henrik is quicker but Juan seems the more consistent player.

Griezmann is a good player but he couldn't save Athletico from drawing with Qarabag, I'd personally rather give our regulars a chance at least until they play with our proper midfield.

Paul_Scholes18

Poor form I feel at the moment. Hope he can bounce back soon. Thought this game would suit him.

Dobbs

Always been a fan but playing him off the right is plain silly now. The guy just hasn't got the physical qualities to do anything from there. Now he's also off form.

To keep playing him at the expense of getting Rashford and Martial on the pitch at the same time makes zero sense.

SteveW

Invisible man. Stick Rashford out there and let him burn some full backs

Luke1995

I remember a game against Newcastle in 2014 where he scored two goals (One from a freekick) and gave an assist to Januzaj. Seems so long ago. His first half season with us during the Moyes/Caretaker Giggs era was his best, after all. No improvement since 2014-15 whatsoever he is getting gradually worse just like Rooney.

kundalini

I thought he was fine tonight but wasn't involved that much. In terms of his season to date, one goal and zero assists isn't great, so no real surprise if he finds himself on the bench for the more important games.

Cathy Ferguson

Invisible man. Stick Rashford out there and let him burn some full backs
I agree and it should work if Darmian is instructed to concentrate on the defensive work. We have seen the best of Mata in a United shirt.

el3mel

I remember a game against Newcastle in 2014 where he scored two goals (One from a freekick) and gave an assist to Januzaj. Seems so long ago. His first half season with us during the Moyes/Caretaker Giggs era was his best, after all. No improvement since 2014-15 whatsoever he is getting gradually worse just like Rooney.
First half of last season he was great IMO. He was good in the 2 LVG seasons but less than his Chelsea days a lot tbh.

He's approaching 30 and his decline is normal. We need to upgrade on him ( and Mikhi ) starting from next season. Would love to keep him as a squad player only though as he's a nice and likable guy but I like the team more tbh.

manunited1919

He had surgery about 7 months ago, maybe he has not recovered 100% after that injury. Some injuries take time.

Sylar

He was fine but he always seems better when he drifts to the middle. I would love to see one game where hes behind Lukaku and we just throw both Martial and Rashford on at the same time as wide forwards interchanging.

Jaybomb

He was fine but he always seems better when he drifts to the middle. I would love to see one game where hes behind Lukaku and we just throw both Martial and Rashford on at the same time as wide forwards interchanging.
Jose will never do that. He likes defensive wingers like Lingard and Young. No way is he sticking 4 up top with no defensive duties.

Most managers wouldn’t play them both on the wings to be fair. If they play at the same time, one will play up top.

Jaybomb

It’s nothing like Rooney. Mata is more technically gifted. Rooney relied on explosive power and shooting. When that went, he was garbage.

Mata is more about possession football and neat passes and the occasional tap in. The only thing that’s declined is his pace. He’s out of form at the minute but that happens to every player. Just wait till he picks up form again, it’s not far off.

Luke1995

It’s nothing like Rooney. Mata is more technically gifted. Rooney relied on explosive power and shooting. When that went, he was garbage.

Mata is more about possession football and neat passes and the occasional tap in. The only thing that’s declined is his pace. He’s out of form at the minute but that happens to every player. Just wait till he picks up form again, it’s not far off.
Technically he might be our best midfielder when on form. Arguably more technical than Pogba. But we need to know just how long this level of performance will go on. With Lingard never evolving and Henrikh suffering from inconsistency, we need Mata to step up and create stuff on his own.

Devil may care

He had one or two nice moments of control in tight spaces but overall didn't effect the game.

Sylar

Jose will never do that. He likes defensive wingers like Lingard and Young. No way is he sticking 4 up top with no defensive duties.

Most managers wouldn’t play them both on the wings to be fair. If they play at the same time, one will play up top.
I think people underrate how much the likes of Mata, Rashford and Martial help out going backwards. But I think at home against teams we expect to dominate, it could work (mostly when Pogba returns and we put him next to Matic).

smallred

The amount of heads in the sand here is incredible. Mata hasnt had "1 or 2 bad games", he has been a complete and utter shambles all season and being honest, was largely shi*e last season too.

Wake up lads, watch him closely. Watch how many times he passes ball backwards and sideways. Watch how many times he chickens out of a tackle or loses possession. His performances are not good enough and he is not off form, he is playing like a man out of his depth.

We all hope he improves but at this stage, he is a major problem and liability.

Robaldo

Technically he might be our best midfielder when on form. Arguably more technical than Pogba. But we need to know just how long this level of performance will go on. With Lingard never evolving and Henrikh suffering from inconsistency, we need Mata to step up and create stuff on his own.
:nono: The speed Mata plays at makes his technique look much better than it is, I think. Pogba's passing is much better, as is his dribbling and so on.

settembrini

The amount of heads in the sand here is incredible. Mata hasnt had "1 or 2 bad games", he has been a complete and utter shambles all season and being honest, was largely shi*e last season too.

Wake up lads, watch him closely. Watch how many times he passes ball backwards and sideways. Watch how many times he chickens out of a tackle or loses possession. His performances are not good enough and he is not off form, he is playing like a man out of his depth.

We all hope he improves but at this stage, he is a major problem and liability.
I'm also surprised at the lack of criticism he has received, both from fans and the media. Almost every game this season he has put in the same lacklustre performance combining little attacking threat with even less defensive contribution.

I think it's because he takes so few risks nowadays that there is almost no chance of him making a big error which people will remember and talk about (Huddersfield game aside). As you say he basically bottles out of almost everything which is ridiculous for one of our most experienced players.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It’s genuinely audacious he doesn’t see minutes in the big games. 0 minutes vs Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs now in 3 games.

I’m far from a big Juan Mata fan and I dont think his form has been good enough, but in a side that becomes so bereft of confidence and composure in these matches, it basically cries out for somebody like Mata. Games like Juanfield show how clutch he can be in these too. Always showed up against us when he was at Chelsea.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
I think he will get a nice little run out in the side now. He won`t be playing over the international break.

He has his faults (slow and weak) but we lack so much technique and ball retention that he basically has to play.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
It’s genuinely audacious he doesn’t see minutes in the big games. 0 minutes vs Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs now in 3 games.

I’m far from a big Juan Mata fan and I dont think his form has been good enough, but in a side that becomes so bereft of confidence and composure in these matches, it basically cries out for somebody like Mata. Games like Juanfield show how clutch he can be in these too. Always showed up against us when he was at Chelsea.
Meanwhile, I think even now he'd be very welcome back at a number of teams in the Primera - including Barcelona

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Meanwhile, I think even now he'd be very welcome back at a number of teams in the Primera - including Barcelona
Not sure about Barcelona, but yes he'd do a job at nearly every top club. His ball retention and circulation is terribly underappreciated. Especially in games like yesterday, where we struggled to keep hold of the ball for prolonged periods, we needed a player like him- if not him then atleast a player of similar skillset- which we don't have at the moment.

prtk0811

May be it's time to play him in the centre to break low blocks , mkh had his chance , Mata should also be given one and mkh on the right.

May be he shines may be not , but we'll never find out until we give him a try.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Everybody get their chance on no10 but not him. Really don't understand that. He is our best no10 in my opinion.
He will not lose balls like mikhi, he will not play on safe like lingard. Give him run of games on his natural position ffs

KYcinco

It's his last season here , wasn' worth the fee, most of you love him because he writes blogs,I couldn't care what he writes , poor buy once again

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It's his last season here , wasn' worth the fee, most of you love him because he writes blogs,I couldn't care what he writes , poor buy once again
He's had 1 bad game a few average games and wasn't even involved yesterday ffs. He started the season well, then Pogba Injury happened and he started playing much deeper. Instead of making runs behind the defenders, Mata was tasked with circulating the ball! Despite playing as RW, his role was that of a proper CM.

KYcinco

He's had 1 bad game a few average games and wasn't even involved yesterday ffs. He started the season well, then Pogba Injury happened and he started playing much deeper. Instead of making runs behind the defenders, Mata was tasked with circulating the ball! Despite playing as RW, his role was that of a proper CM.
He has been rubbish this season.
1 bad game? some of you get way too attached to these players who speak well about the club.
Oh, how many times have we heard Pogba's name being the reason why players cant turn up this season.I refuse to waste another post in a Juan Mata thread.
He will be gone soon,Thankfully

stepic

Nice fella but he's never really fitted properly into the team. Always been a bit of a square peg. Had his moments certainly but his time is definitely up.

jem

He has been rubbish this season.
1 bad game? some of you get way too attached to these players who speak well about the club.
Oh, how many times have we heard Pogba's name being the reason why players cant turn up this season.I refuse to waste another post in a Juan Mata thread.
He will be gone soon,Thankfully
He really hasn't. The game against Huddersfield was bad, but the rest have ranged from average to quite good. And I love the drama of your refusing to waste another post in a thread!:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.