Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Only reason they’ve not cleaned up is they’ve been up against a corrupt City team. Liverpool have sadly had a ridiculous 4-5 years.
Yeah, over the last decade if it wasn't for City, they'd have cleaned up with an extra 2 PL trophies.

Except that a certain other north west team that play in red would also have an extra 2 PL trophies. :wenger:

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

So many salty tears in here.

Almost makes me feel nostalgic for the years when we were completely bobbins and spent our lives on rawk furiously frothing over Sir purple nose’s every utterance during our own boom-bust cycles :D
Almost reminiscent of the Fergie years, if Fergie had only won 1 PL title at United.

Loon

:lol:

Almost makes me feel nostalgic for the years when we were completely bobbins and spent our lives on rawk furiously frothing over Sir purple nose’s every utterance during our own boom-bust cycles :D
Difference is not many United fans wasted our time joining RAWK during those 13 titles trying to give it the biggun because the sensitive souls there would have banned us.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Apples to bicycles comparison here, not even remotely associative.

Zen86

And look at you now at your absolute peak, playing second fiddle to City over the years.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
My theory is he's just a prick.
Firstly, he may be a prick. I don’t know him.

However, the evidence from those who have played for him wouldn’t support this view. At three clubs he’s built a strong, positive culture by cultivating strong relationships and fostering a sense of collective spirit and responsibility. Lots of evidence to support this.

That said, other factors are at play when assessing the character of a football manager. A key one being whether you like the club he manages. Inevitable hostility will emerge if it’s a rival with added hostility thrown in if he’s successful. Added to this is longevity - dislike grows over time, usually deepening your dislike.

Through this prism of hostility, you’ll then perceive every act with a certain disdain and resentment. It’s quite normal. By contrast, fans of the team he manages will see these same characteristics as being part of his job. Representing the club’s interests with vigorous and front-foot positivity that gives everyone something to rally around. Us against the world, etc.

It’s how tribalism works. But it’s all a bit cartoonish and none of it is a genuine exploration into a person’s character.

The obvious example is Ferguson. Opposition fans disliked his relentless attempts to intimidate opposing managers, his mind games or seemingly influencing officials. A person who many thought to be a hardcore bastard. United fans loved him - obviously.

Yet players ran through walls for him and he clearly had a character and personality that went way beyond the version presented to the media.

In short, it’s all a bit fake and name calling is nothing more than tribal identity.

padr81

Supports
Man City

However, the evidence from those who have played for him wouldn’t support this view. At three clubs he’s built a strong, positive culture by cultivating strong relationships and fostering a sense of collective spirit and responsibility. Lots of evidence to support this.

That said, other factors are at play when assessing the character of a football manager. A key one being whether you like the club he manages. Inevitable hostility will emerge if it’s a rival with added hostility thrown in if he’s successful. Added to this is longevity - dislike grows over time, usually deepening your dislike.

Through this prism of hostility, you’ll then perceive every act with a certain disdain and resentment. It’s quite normal. By contrast, fans of the team he manages will see these same characteristics as being part of his job. Representing the club’s interests with vigorous and front-foot positivity that gives everyone something to rally around. Us against the world, etc.

It’s how tribalism works. But it’s all a bit cartoonish and none of it is a genuine exploration into a person’s character.

The obvious example is Ferguson. Opposition fans disliked his relentless attempts to intimidate opposing managers, his mind games or seemingly influencing officials. A person who many thought to be a hardcore bastard. United fans loved him - obviously.

Yet players ran through walls for him and he clearly had a character and personality that went way beyond the version presented to the media.

In short, it’s all a bit fake and name calling is nothing more than tribal identity.
Chelsea players ran through walls and don't have a bad word for Jose. Very few players don't develop a bond with a long term manager.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Chelsea players ran through walls and don't have a bad word for Jose. Very few players don't develop a bond with a long term manager.
What's long term about the guy, who burned out within three (more like two!?) years at just about every club he ever coached?

stevoc

I've thought he was a prick since his Dortmund days. His time at Liverpool hasn't changed that perception.

I don't dislike Klopp because I don't know him. But to me he's just always came across as a bit of a wanker who's up his own hole and loves the sound of his own voice.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
I've thought he was a prick since his Dortmund days. His time at Liverpool hasn't changed that perception.

I don't dislike Klopp because I don't know him. But to me he's just always came across as a bit of a wanker who's up his own hole and loves the sound of his own voice.
That all seems perfectly fair

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
I’m not sure if you agree or disagree here. But José is a classic example of a cartoonish public persona.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Yes this officially organised club PR shoot is the best reflection of what he is really like as a person.
Precisely!! The response I was hoping for.

This is my whole point. We’re reacting emotionally to the content that suits our preconceived ideas. It’s all a veneer. It’s cosmetic, surface-level insight…just like the version of the person we see for 90 minutes a week (often much less).

Yet, here we are…making strong-willed assessments about character and personality.

We should at least acknowledge that we know very little about these people.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Precisely!! The response I was hoping for.

This is my whole point. We’re reacting emotionally to the content that suits our preconceived ideas. It’s all a veneer. It’s cosmetic, surface-level insight…just like the version of the person we see for 90 minutes a week (often much less).

Yet, here we are…making strong-willed assessments about character and personality.

We should at least acknowledge that we know very little about these people.
He acts like a dick constantly, talks to journalists and pundits like a wanker and berates the match officials. I think it’s fair to judge him on that. Blokes a class A bellend.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
He acts like a dick constantly, talks to journalists and pundits like a wanker and berates the match officials. I think it’s fair to judge him on that. Blokes a class A bellend.
Absolutely. Spot on.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
Klopp's a massive sore loser but if you hear him talk about non Liverpool related things he usually speaks really well and is on the right side of each argument.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Yes this officially organised club PR shoot is the best reflection of what he is really like as a person.
What a pleasant person you must be. Even if it’s PR it’s a gesture most normal civilized people would think was a nice thing for the kid. People being cynical about things like this really is disturbing . I couldn’t imagine people talking or associating with others who feel so cynical about decent gestures.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
What a pleasant person you must be. Even if it’s PR it’s a gesture most normal civilized people would think was a nice thing for the kid. People being cynical about things like this really is disturbing . I couldn’t imagine people talking or associating with others who feel so cynical about decent gestures.
Dear god what a load of pearl clutching bollocks. Give your head a wobble.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I’m not sure if you agree or disagree here. But José is a classic example of a cartoonish public persona.
For the most part I think klopp is decent but he's a terrible asshole when things don't go his way, same as Jose, pep sir Alex honesty. It's part of what makes them winners.

Fr. Todd Unctious

Is the correct answer. Gets away with it most of the time too. Has he been suspended at all this season like ETH and Arteta have been ?

JogaBonitoRooney

I think Klopp is still a good guy it's just Liverpool that brings the worst out of him. We've seen it happen to many good people.

AshRK

What's long term about the guy, who burned out within three (more like two!?) years at just about every club he ever coached?
Well if Klopp retires today and Jose also retires. Jose would still be considered a better manager.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
I think Klopp is still a good guy it's just Liverpool that brings the worst out of him. We've seen it happen to many good people.
If bringing out the worst is Klopp giving back to the community, speaking out against VAR, speaking out against the right, being the most outspoken mgr against the super league, and being the adult in the room during coronavirus then I can live with the sideline antics and rants anytime.