La Liga - 2015/2016

TheCorkman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Gimenez is such a brilliant defender. I think he can be as good as Vidic has been. Already one of the best no nonsense defenders and some beast of a man too.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Bloody hell. Can't do anything about that, pathetic goalkeeping.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Just seen that Isco pic :lol:

Anyone else see the confusion on the Valencia bench? After Negredo went back to his seat. When he's standing next to Gary, waiting to come on. Gary went to ask Phil something and Phil shrugged his shoulder. Was like Gary was asking him: "what were we going to do again?" Phil: "I dunno" :lol:

Skorenzy

That's awful keeping.
He was never the most consistent keeper ever, but coupled with that save from Vietto earlier that makes it a very Kameni-esque game for Diego Alves. Too bad he missed the 1st half of this season with that cruciate ligament injury because he was amazing in the 2nd half of last season.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Valencia were decent tonight. The injury of Cheryshev was very unfortunate and Santos is a bit meh. Overall a lot to build on.
Griezmann with a fantastic performance.

Skorenzy

Feel sorry for Neville. GK and defence are a joke.
...yeah, and as manager he has nothing at all to do with that...? :houllier:

Last season Valencia was one of the best defensive teams in the league - in fact, this season, before Gary took over they had one of the best records up until then as well.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
He was never the most consistent keeper ever, but coupled with that save from Vietto earlier that makes it a very Kameni-esque game for Diego Alves. Too bad he missed the 1st half of this season with that cruciate ligament injury because he was amazing in the 2nd half of last season.
To be honest I've seen nowhere near enough of Valencia lately to assess Diego Alves, but agree with your final sentence - his reflexes were insane last season.

Bojan11

...yeah, and as manager he has nothing at all to do with that...? :houllier:

Last season Valencia was one of the best defensive teams in the league - in fact, this season, before Gary took over they had one of the best records up until then as well.
How the feck can you blame a manager for two goalkeeping mistakes and leaving someone free on a corner? Or his defender getting another stupid yellow.

Last season they also had Otamemdi who was their best defender in case you forgotten.

prarek

How the feck can you blame a manager for two goalkeeping mistakes and leaving someone free on a corner? Or his defender getting another stupid yellow.

Last season they also had Otamemdi who was their best defender in case you forgotten.
He's right Valencia had the second best defensive record in the league after Atletico even without Otamendi. Gary has made his fair share of mistakes. He dropped Jaume who had been amazing for Ryan and then Ryan made two errors that cost points. It was like dropping De Gea for no reason. This was when Alves was injured. It is clear he is still learning on the job.

Bojan11

He's right Valencia had the second best defensive record in the league after Atletico even without Otamendi. Gary has made his fair share of mistakes. He dropped Jaume who had been amazing for Ryan and then Ryan made two errors that cost points. It was like dropping De Gea for no reason. This was when Alves was injured. It is clear he is still learning on the job.
Balague has just said Neville and the coaching staff are not happy with the centre backs. Whenever I watched Valencia their defenders have always had a mistake in them. You can't blame Neville for that always. You can blame him for how he sets his team up and line ups. But a manager can do feck all when it comes down to silly individual mistakes.

prarek

Balague has just said Neville and the coaching staff are not happy with the centre backs. Whenever I watched Valencia their defenders have always had a mistake in them. You can't blame Neville for that always. You can blame him for how he sets his team up and line ups. But a manager can do feck all when it comes down to silly individual mistakes.
It's not just the centerbacks. Others have made mistakes too. What i do know is we have seen these same players play much better last season.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Do you think that Neville will be in Valencia in 16/17?.For me the answer is obvious,even more since Benitez and Pellegrini are available,however some days ago I read an article about a possible renewal, saying that Lim and Hoon were quite happy with his commitment and the progress done by the manager.According to the article Pitarch was also starting to accept the idea

Skorenzy

I wouldn't call the first goal a GK mistake. He also saved a certain goal from Vietto. Atléti had 20 (!) shots in this game, at the Mestalla... Even without Otamendi they looked okay defensively under Nuno this season (10 goals conceded in 13 league games and 6 clean sheets in those 13 games). Since Neville took over they've conceded 22 in 14 games with 0 clean sheets.

Somehow, Nuno made those same "joke" defenders keep from conceding in almost 50% of their games compared to 0% of the time under Gary. I'm not saying individual errors are necessarily the fault of the coach or manager, but when they keep happening it's a sign of an underlying issue that hasn't been addressed.

Bojan11

It's not just the centerbacks. Others have made mistakes too. What i do know is we have seen these same players play much better last season.
And Neville wouldn't be in charge if they played better this season.

Also I hope he doesn't take charge next season. It's not the right job for him. Needs someone with a bit more experience.

I don't think Rafa will enjoy having to shop for Mendes players only. So that leaves Pellegrinni as most likely candidate.

prarek

And Neville wouldn't be in charge if they played better this season.

Also I hope he doesn't take charge next season. It's not the right job for him. Needs someone with a bit more experience.

I don't think Rafa will enjoy having to shop for Mendes players only. So that leaves Pellegrinni as most likely candidate.
I think Pellegrini would be a good choice. He has managed under similar conditions at Malaga.

Bojan11

I think Pellegrini would be a good choice. He has managed under similar conditions at Malaga.
Or could see AVB moving to Valencia as he is friends with Mendes. Pellegrini was linked with Zenit a few days ago.

If I was Valencia fan, I would prefer Pellegrini by a distance.

prarek

Do you think that Neville will be in Valencia in 16/17?.For me the answer is obvious,even more since Benitez and Pellegrini are available,however some days ago I read an article about a possible renewal, saying that Lim and Hoon were quite happy with his commitment and the progress done by the manager.According to the article Pitarch was also starting to accept the idea
Yes there have been rumors and whispers but Lim is playing with fire if he extends Neville's contract. I think Gary has shown glimpses of potential. I like the way he handles himself and protects his players and does not throw them under the bus. I like his values, his passion and his honesty. But he is still raw and not yet ready for a club like Valencia where anything below top 4 is considered a failure and rightly so.

I'm not so sure about Benitez either. He has a great history at Valencia but second time doesn't always work out well and his tenure at Liverpool showed he can turn the fans against the owner. I think Lim will be aware of that and is it good for the club? I don't know but i don't think he's the favorite.

RedStarUnited

Reading through last few pages of this thread is just mental.

City win against Kiev was the first for a English team in CL knockout stages since April 2012.

Arsenal was supposed to be a title contender, Spurs also. Leicester will win the league and then go out in CL group stages next season and EPL will still be the best league in the world and all Spanish teams not called Real Madrid, Barcelona or Atletico Madrid will be considered shit. Just mental.
Always happens here.

People forget before Messi and Ronaldo started doing what they are doing, Barcelona and Madrid never won games like this. The scores are more to do with the fact that 2 of the best players and scorers ever are currently playing in the same league.

prarek

Or could see AVB moving to Valencia as he is friends with Mendes. Pellegrini was linked with Zenit a few days ago.

If I was Valencia fan, I would prefer Pellegrini by a distance.
I don't think fans will be too happy with AVB precisely because he's linked with Mendes(is he a Mendes client?). Nuno lost his job not just because of results but also because he took the heat for Mendes. Fans were booing him before the season even started and ofcourse it only got worse because of the results. Pellegrini seems the better option.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
As ridiculous as it sounds Bebe is one of the most underrated players in football. He is a decent player.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
As ridiculous as it sounds Bebe is one of the most underrated players in football. He is a decent player.
Aye. Hes developed well since we paid £7m or so for him. Back then he wasn't worth it, but he's definitely worth that or a bit more.

Made a decent career for himself. Happy for the lad.