La Liga - 2015/2016

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
The award to the 'Fans' Five-Star Player' was chosen popularly by Mahou.es users that could vote on every matchday of last Liga BBVA for their favorite player. For doing this, they had five stars (amounting five votes a week) that could be given to one player or divide them up among several players of all Liga BBVA clubs. Every matchday a ranking was generated with the feedback of the registered users.
It's not even a competition then if fans are allowed to vote. Don't know exactly what mahou.eu is but if you care enough to vote every game than fair enough.

prarek

I think ill jot this down here as a Valencia fan as the other thread is overflowing.

First of all obviously very underwhelmed and disappointed by Gary's appointment. I thought it was a joke at first.. just no words. However having contemplated over it for a while it may not be the worst thing in the world. What i would like for him to do is stay true to the United playing style representative of the SAF era. This is because Valencia have the players for a similar style of play(not too much aerial crossing though, just focused on wide play).

Last season the team played very direct football with quick transitions. This backfired sometimes but worked most often than not and end result is qualified for CL, also beat Real Madrid, beat Atletico Madrid and unlucky extra time loss to Barcelona. Negredo said recently that what went wrong this season is they try to play more possession based football and wasn't working. Easy for him to say that when he was a flop last season and this season no better but he is an insider. The squad is good enough for top 4 but also is very unbalanced with too many similar type wide players and the result being only one way that best suits the team. Parejo is only one who looks comfortable with a possession style football and Gomes is also technically great but that's it. Piatti, Feghoulli, Rodrigo, De Paul, Bakkali are all wide attackers. Even Mina also playing wide. Only two pure strikers Negredo and Paco with two DMs Fuego(ok) and Danilo (youngster). Nuno's experimentation of playing Perez in a deep position was a disaster. It was pointed out by many before the season began that Valencia have too many wingers. Its clear now the style has to suit the strength of the squad and not the other way around.

Reactions from Mestalla is fans are confused but welcoming, some even optimistic. Right now he has approval of 67% from the fans on superdeporte . I just hope he knows how fickle and SCARY Valencia fans can be. ;) Welcome aboard Gary!

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I think ill jot this down here as a Valencia fan as the other thread is overflowing.

First of all obviously very underwhelmed and disappointed by Gary's appointment. I thought it was a joke at first.. just no words. However having contemplated over it for a while it may not be the worst thing in the world. What i would like for him to do is stay true to the United playing style representative of the SAF era. This is because Valencia have the players for a similar style of play(not too much aerial crossing though, just focused on wide play).

Last season the team played very direct football with quick transitions. This backfired sometimes but worked most often than not and end result is qualified for CL, also beat Real Madrid, beat Atletico Madrid and unlucky extra time loss to Barcelona. Negredo said recently that what went wrong this season is they try to play more possession based football and wasn't working. Easy for him to say that when he was a flop last season and this season no better but he is an insider. The squad is good enough for top 4 but also is very unbalanced with too many similar type wide players and the result being only one way that best suits the team. Parejo is only one who looks comfortable with a possession style football and Gomes is also technically great but that's it. Piatti, Feghoulli, Rodrigo, De Paul, Bakkali are all wide attackers. Even Mina also playing wide. Only two pure strikers Negredo and Paco with two DMs Fuego(ok) and Danilo (youngster). Nuno's experimentation of playing Perez in a deep position was a disaster. It was pointed out by many before the season began that Valencia have too many wingers. Its clear now the style has to suit the strength of the squad and not the other way around.

Reactions from Mestalla is fans are confused but welcoming, some even optimistic. Right now he has approval of 67% from the fans on superdeporte . I just hope he knows how fickle and SCARY Valencia fans can be. ;) Welcome aboard Gary!
Seeing as you're a Valencia fan, how highly do you rate Ruben Vezo?

prarek

Seeing as you're a Valencia fan, how highly do you rate Ruben Vezo?
He makes mistakes but given his age i think he's done fairly well for the most part. He could develop into a good player but more than that im not certain of. See when we first saw Gimenez play for 2-3 games it was clear that this was a special talent. I don't get that feeling with Vezo. Still hard to judge a young defender.

Match 14: 5/7 Dec - (The Nevilles) Valencia V Barca

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Sat 5 Dec 2015 - Spanish La Liga (from the BBC so all times are UK)
  • Real Madrid v Getafe 15:00
  • Granada CF v Atl Madrid 17:15
  • Valencia v Barcelona 19:30
  • Deportivo de La Coruña v Sevilla 21:00
  • Real Betis v Celta de Vigo 21:05

Sun 6 Dec 2015 - Spanish La Liga
  • Real Sociedad v Eibar 11:00
  • Villarreal v Rayo Vallecano 15:00
  • Sporting de Gijón v Las Palmas 17:15
  • Ath Bilbao v Málaga 19:30

Mon 7 Dec 2015 - Spanish La Liga
  • Espanyol v Levante 19:30

Sources of amusement. The Bernabeu will welcome home its team, coaching staff, and directors after their midweek triumph in Cadiz. :smirk:

Valencia V Barcelona should be the game of the weekend. The reaction of the crowd to its new manager (although he's not really in charge yet) and the directors will be interesting. It's hard to imagine anyone stopping Barca at the moment, especially if Valencia have their minds on their CL match on Wednesday and have already given up on this weekend. My guess though is that they will put up a fight, the angry Mestalla will end up encouraging the team rather than booing it and Barca will have to work for the points. Vamos a ver.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
They couldn't beat Moyes in his first game, how will Barca beat Phil who's basically a SAF-Moyes hybrid?

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea

I think this team will suit what he wants to achieve down to a tee then. He has stated that whilst he appreciates the possession systems implemented by Barca and Pep, he is much more on the side of a Pocchetino side of doing things. He seems to want to build a hard working, solid, industrious side with direct fast tempo attacks and a very high intensity pressing unit. Probably the only example similar in La Liga would be Athletic under Bielsa.

It seems that would suit Valencia team down to the ground and should give the fans some comfort in knowing that his vision matches your teams strengths.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Are there any players in La Liga between 22-26 ready to make a transfer to a bigger club? How are guys like Vitolo, Krychowiak, Ignacio Camacho, Konoplyanka, Feghouli, Dani Parejo, Andre Gomes doing this season?

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
I think this team will suit what he wants to achieve down to a tee then. He has stated that whilst he appreciates the possession systems implemented by Barca and Pep, he is much more on the side of a Pocchetino side of doing things. He seems to want to build a hard working, solid, industrious side with direct fast tempo attacks and a very high intensity pressing unit. Probably the only example similar in La Liga would be Athletic under Bielsa.

It seems that would suit Valencia team down to the ground and should give the fans some comfort in knowing that his vision matches your teams strengths.
Then Lim should've hired Bielsa. You know, someone who not only has success implementing this type of football but actually knows the Primera, language, culture etc

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Then Lim should've hired Bielsa. You know, someone who not only has success implementing this type of football but actually knows the Primera, language, culture etc
Who knows why he didn't hire Bielsa. Maybe he wasn't available, maybe he didn't want such a volatile character as an employee, maybe he wanted to help out his friend. I don't know but its irrelevant now because you have Neville till the end of the season.

prarek

Are there any players in La Liga between 22-26 ready to make a transfer to a bigger club? How are guys like Vitolo, Krychowiak, Ignacio Camacho, Konoplyanka, Feghouli, Dani Parejo, Andre Gomes doing this season?
Vitolo - Intelligent player. Can defend also. Could work on his end product.
Krychowiak - One of the best DMs in the league.
Camacho - Good technique and physical presence. Not quite ready for a top club imo.
Konoplyanka - Class player.
Feghouli - Can be inconsistent, started the season well.
Parejo - Class player.
Gomes - Immense potential. Fitness issues.

prarek

Here i find some articles from last season about Valencia playing style and why it worked. Maybe you will be interested. There was also an in-depth interview with Ian Cathro that i was not able to find. He goes into great detail there. Sometimes i think Nuno and Cathro was a great partnership and they worked together well. When Cathro left it just wasn't the same. Just a thought ofcourse i could be wrong. But this is the style Gary needs to go back to because the players are all the same apart from Otamendi.

http://armchairsportssociety.com/2015/02/04/amunt-the-fall-and-rise-of-valencia-cf/

Under Nuno, Valencia play an extremely aggressive, up-tempo style of football that has been extremely difficult for most La Liga teams to cope with. Described as “more Jurgen Klopp than Pep Guardiola or Jose Mourinho”, Valencia come flying out of the gates, press high up the pitch, and score a remarkable number of goals early in the game. This season, they have beaten Atletico Madrid 3-1 at the Mestalla, scoring three goals in the opening twenty minutes to seal the game, defeated Real Madrid 2-1 to end the team’s 22-match winning streak, drew away to Sevilla and beat them at home, and only lost to Barcelona on a goal scored in the dying seconds. Nuno has injected energy and enthusiasm into a young side, and has reached an immediate communion with Valencia’s fans that is reminiscent of that of Klopp at Dortmund, Simeone at Atletico, or Guardiola at Barcelona.
Another article
http://www.thetacticsroom.com/artic...nder-nuno-is-carrying-los-che-back-to-success

Despite that mention of being a good outfit technically, shown by them holding the fifth highest passing success record in La Liga (77.8%), they only average 49.1% possession per game which is the 10th highest in the league: and it’s here where that difference between a stereotypical Spanish style and a more German-based one can be spotted best. That technique is not utilised in a way to do what Nuno views as unnecessarily retaining the ball for long spells of games, but rather to make accurate vertical passes and ensure that their possession is held in attacking areas of the pitch. It’s worked brilliantly too, it must be said: their rate of goal scoring has shot up from 1.34 per game to 1.82 this season.

As a result of this combination of intenseness off the ball and directness on it, Valencia’s style is one which requires great concentration to keep up with from the start. With most teams failing to adapt and grab dominance of games as quickly as Los Che do, whether through controlling space or actual possession itself, it’s an enormously effective way for them to get a good start and take advantage. A massive 29.0% (a tally of nine in practicality) of their goals have come in the opening 15 minutes of matches, and they’ve conceded just one in that period. Beyond Real Madrid getting seven for themselves in that time, nobody else has got more than four. It’s almost impossible to get off to a better start than Valencia do.
And here is the Negredo interview i mentioned earlier.
http://www.football-espana.net/54562/negredo-valencia-need-patience

“Last year we played a little more direct, got the ball forward more, and this year we’re trying to control the ball more,” he considered.

“We’re trying hard at that and they are both valid ways to play, but sometimes it goes well and sometimes it doesn’t. We try to change the situation, take the best concepts and give the fans more attractive football.

“It’s true last year we were more direct, but we had the players to play that way. If we didn’t have the players and we tried to do that, it would be crazy, but when you have the players its valid.

“There’s having a problem in your play, in creating chances, but when you don’t play well you get all the…I won’t say what.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Lucas Vazquez has been tremendous this season every time I've seen him play.

Bale scores the third. Game over.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
You sure there are no ineligible players playing for Real Madrid this time.

CLARiiON

Mes que un Gloryhunter
Supports
Barcelona
Seriously, that's just poor. Your teammate just scored, why does he look unhappy? If he missed, one might argue. But this is just poor sportmanship.

prarek

Godin scores from a corner. That was a beautiful delivery from Koke.

Hojoon

Such poor defending from Granada. How does Godin, arguably the most dangerous player in the league from set pieces, have so much space to head the ball in as he pleases?

prarek

Such poor defending from Granada. How does Godin, arguably the most dangerous player in the league from set pieces, have so much space to head the ball in as he pleases?
Its also about the delivery. Godin took just one step for a good leap. There were two defenders and Carrasco just a step away in between and the delivery was too high for them yet perfect for Godin.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Ronaldo probably thinks Benzema is a whoring blackmailing criminal and does not deserve to be on the football pitch, never mind celebrate a goal. Good on him.

prarek

Some crunching tackles in the last few minutes from both sides.

prateik

Bale doesnt look too happy either... Or is he just taking his "imitating Ronaldo" act to a whole new level

prarek

Carrasco sets up Felipe for a wonderful chance and he balloons the ball over with only the keeper in sight. Should have taken his time.

prarek

Another good Koke delivery and Torres glances wide. Two good chances in close succession.