La Liga 2017/18

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
But managers love him don't know why. Apparently he gives tactical balance to the team according to some. He's useless but Santos will take him to Russia for sure.
That's because he's not useless and he's not even playing badly at all. He's probably our best midfielder right now and he should start at the World Cup.

Valverde is a pragmatic coach like Santos and I'm pretty sure he'll want Gomes to stay next season. Let's not do this again though.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
That's because he's not useless and he's not even playing badly at all. He's probably our best midfielder right now and he should start at the World Cup.

Valverde is a pragmatic coach like Santos and I'm pretty sure he'll want Gomes to stay next season. Let's not do this again though.
I was actually trying to fish you here but that's just madness mate. I forgot it's pointless to discuss André Gomes with you. Ffs our best midfielder. Have a word with yourself. Wth did he do in our Euro win or in the Confed Cup? He was hounded out of the team for underachieving.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I agree with Peyroteo.He should take the helm of the team in the world cup

Schneckerl

I was actually trying to fish you here but that's just madness mate. I forgot it's pointless to discuss André Gomes with you. Ffs our best midfielder. Have a word with yourself. Wth did he do in our Euro win or in the Confed Cup? He was hounded out of the team for underachieving.
I don't get it how anyone defends that guy.

He is subpar by every single metric - 'eyetest' or stats.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
He was good both at the Euros and Confederations Cup, not our best midfielder there but now Moutinho's old, João Mário is at West Ham, Adrien has barely played and William's crap.

His reputation is ruined since everyone loves bashing him but he's a good player and that's why all 3 of Luis Enrique, Santos and Valverde like him.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Commentary is odd today, sound like it's Graham Hunter and Balague chipping in.

Muffled so sounds like they're actually at the ground for once.

Redo91

Ugh was fully sure this game was on this evening and was looking forward to watching it. Who's bright idea was it to have it on in the middle of the day on a Sunday?

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
He was good both at the Euros and Confederations Cup, not our best midfielder there but now Moutinho's old, João Mário is at West Ham, Adrien has barely played and William's crap.

His reputation is ruined since everyone loves bashing him but he's a good player
Cmon mate. I'm not saying he isn't a good player, he did well at Valência but no way he's our best midfielder. He's a bench option at best because of his versatility. How can you call him the best midfielder in our Nt is he hasn't played one stand out performance like the ones you are dissing here. He never came close to the quality Adrien produced against Modric in the Croatia match. He was never as dominant as William in his Euro final perfomance against France. André Gomes begins the tournaments as a starter but always ends in the bench. There's a reason for that. It's because he isn't good enough to be starter. I'll discuss the merits of your opinion of André Gomes when he actually performes well.

Semiarty

Supports
FC Barcelona
The best part about this win is how Atletico got to taste their own medicine.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Gutsy performance by Barca and full credit to Valverde having this be the best defensive side Barca have had this decade. Considering what expectations were at the beginning of the season to where Barca have essentially wrapped the league a few days into March is astounding.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
A little bit in the shadow of Messi, Busquets, Umtiti and Ter Stegen all having a brilliant season. Rakitic was also excellent today. A well-deserved win for Barcelona, expected a little bit more from Atletico considering their form before this match.

Bole Top

Suarez's probably most useful moment today was when he forced Godin to foul him in 90. minute and give Barca a break. it doesn't really matter whether he scores or not, it's pretty obvious how bad he is in every other aspect of the game and it's only going to get worse. it makes perfect sense for Barca to go for Griezmann in summer.

btw, I see Atletico got rid of every Argentinian player they bought in last two years. I thought Vietto, Kranevitter and Correa were supposed to be promising young players, what happened to them?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Correa came on today.

Vietto had a brilliant season on loan at Villareal but his career has stalled badly, didn't do much at Sevilla and in and out at Valencia.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Iniesta out for 3-4 weeks, out for the Chelsea match, massive loss.
The decision not to buy Coutinho in the summer just became even more costly.

It's a pity that Semedo is out because the best alternative would've been to put Roberto into midfield but now it'll have to be one of Gomes or Paulinho. Then again, Chelsea are garbage so it shouldn't matter too much.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Goals conceded says just as much about their defence in recent years.

That being said, I can’t think of 5 better off the top of my head.
If we talk about peak form, surely he could be around top 5 (I haven't seen much from other keepers from old days, tho).

If we talk about career... he still needs a couple more years in Atletico to surpass Ramallets, Zamora, Cañizares, Arconada, Casillas, Zubizarreta, Iribar, Ablanedo or Valdés. Maybe even Buyo and Molina have a better career in La Liga than Oblak, but he can "easily" surpass half of those names in 3/6 years.

Semiarty

Supports
FC Barcelona
from twitter (can't post links yet..):

After 27 games, Messi leads La Liga in:
Goals
Assists
Passes before the assist
Shots on goal
Completed dribbles
Chances created

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
The decision not to buy Coutinho in the summer just became even more costly.

It's a pity that Semedo is out because the best alternative would've been to put Roberto into midfield but now it'll have to be one of Gomes or Paulinho. Then again, Chelsea are garbage so it shouldn't matter too much.
Who said it was a decision? Liverpool were never going to sell over the summer

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Who said it was a decision? Liverpool were never going to sell over the summer
Didn't they increase their offer in January from what was offered in the summer? Either way it was just as bad from Liverpool. Take the money and get a replacement in. All that's happened now is both clubs are missing out on a quality player from their champions league squads.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Didn't they increase their offer in January from what was offered in the summer? Either way it was just as bad from Liverpool. Take the money and get a replacement in. All that's happened now is both clubs are missing out on a quality player from their champions league squads.
They did but Liverpool were not going to sell Coutinho over the summer since they knew how important he was to the team.

However, once he started faking injuries and sulking and putting in an official transfer request Liverpool had no choice as they didn’t want to keep a disgruntled player on the squad. I don’t think they were happy with selling him but had no choice once the winter transfer window came.

Coutinho being cup tied is a damn shame. But having him and Griezman to the CL squad next year will be huge

James Peril

Valencia v Betis now, should be a decent game.
Players constantly on the floor... some of these guys should be ashamed of themselves. Gaya is now down for the second time in two minutes, and now wups suddenly up to take a throw-in when he realizes the other guy didn’t get a yellow.

Rajma

from twitter (can't post links yet..):

After 27 games, Messi leads La Liga in:
Goals
Assists
Passes before the assist
Shots on goal
Completed dribbles
Chances created
Complete player, shame he lost a yard of pace.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Players constantly on the floor... some of these guys should be ashamed of themselves. Gaya is now down for the second time in two minutes, and now wups suddenly up to take a throw-in when he realizes the other guy didn’t get a yellow.
It's just part of Latin culture, all part of the act.

I watch a bit of the Argentine league and that's even worse than La Liga for players throwing themselves down.

James Peril

Now Mina down and subbed, I think it’s the 7th stop in play in 35 minutes.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Las Palmas should never have lost that. Usual mediocre defending.

I do think they'll get enough points at home to stop up.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Inda with some gossips last night:
"Iniesta has offers from China.3 years and 35m € net/year"
"Madrid want Lucas Hernández,but the favorite is Giménez"
"Guardiola wants to do a big effort to get Isco this summer"

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
What's the fascination with the Hernandez brothers? Hasn't Theo been underwhelming on the whole for Real Madrid?

Edit: I do like their Dad though, top player for Rayo Vallecano when I started following them in 1999.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Isco replacing Silva would be a pretty natural and apt succession. However I don't see why Madrid would let him go.

Madrid want Gimenez? The Athletico CB? Tough one to pull off.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Isn't Gimenez out of contract end of season?

Top deal for anyone who can get him.