La Liga 2017/18

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Is Varane not expected to get back up to where he was 18 months ago?

I can see the logic if they're going to sell him somewhere else.

RoyH1

Isco replacing Silva would be a pretty natural and apt succession. However I don't see why Madrid would let him go.

Madrid want Gimenez? The Athletico CB? Tough one to pull off.
According to some journos in Spain, Isco is not necessarily a Zidane favorite. They're many that feel he holds on to the ball too much. If Zidane remains as manager, a big offer from City might tempt Madird.

Atletico would not sell Giménez to Real, but if they are willing to pay the release clause then that's that. Question is if they want to have that media rumble with Atletico all over again.

Swift Football

It is a gamble. He hopes the wall will protect him from that side but that is a dumb risk knowing Messi is that good to get it over the wall and on target
Great freekick that.
90% of time, Messi hits on the right hand corner when the freekick is taken from right side of pitch (he mixes it when freekick is taken from centre or left side though). The goalkeeper did his typical routine - cover left side of goal and assume wall will do the job on right side. I feel it will be difficult for Messi to score if goalkeeper cover right side of goal and put wall to block left side of goal.

in another note, in free kick situations, Many times only thing the wall does is obstruct goalkeeper's sight. I wonder if its actually better not to line up the wall right in front of the ball or line up the wall making sure goalkeeper gets the sight of the ball all the way through. I always feel there must be some inventive way to block some of those freekicks though. maybe no, maybe yes.

Last edited:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Great freekick that.
90% of time, Messi hits on the right hand corner when the freekick is taken from right side of pitch (he mixes it when freekick is taken from centre or left side though). The goalkeeper did his typical routine - cover left side of goal and assume wall will do the job on right side. I feel it will be difficult for Messi to score if goalkeeper cover right side of goal and put wall to block left side of goal.

in another note, in free kick situations, Many times only thing the wall does is obstruct goalkeeper's sight. I wonder if its actually better not to line up the wall right in front of the ball or line up the wall making sure goalkeeper gets the sight of the ball all the way through. I always feel there must be some inventive way to block some of those freekicks though. maybe no, maybe yes.
No doubt.
Changing it up from the keeper's perspective (switching side with the wall) is interesting because a classic setup is basically daring Messi to score. I think the change could phase out many different takers.

Semiarty

Supports
FC Barcelona
@Swift Football @kouroux
Check this video out (can't properly link it or even use full address with https:// ...):
twitter.com/casadelfutbol/status/970429433449508866

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Deportivo are 2nd division material, and the worst part is that, as always, you can't know when you're coming back from that pit.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Sorry to say it but don't think Seedorf will win a game before his reign ends.

Rajma

So City and Girona are going to be allowed to participate in European cups both at the same time? Obviously, Girona most likely would end up in Europa, but so can City in the same season (even if that may seem doubtful) after dropping there from group stages as a 3rd placed team.

Rajma

So City and Girona are going to be allowed to participate in European cups both at the same time? Obviously, Girona most likely would end up in Europa, but so can City in the same season (even if that may seem doubtful) after dropping there from group stages as a 3rd placed team.
Ok, just googled and it would be Girona who would end up prevented from entering the competition. Interested in knowing how their fans would feel about it.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Ok, just googled and it would be Girona who would end up prevented from entering the competition. Interested in knowing how their fans would feel about it.
Not 100% sure, RB Salzburg and RB Leipzig were in a similar spot and both got the green light to play the UCL, I'm sure Girona wouldn't have a problem playing the EL

Rajma

Not 100% sure, RB Salzburg and RB Leipzig were in a similar spot and both got the green light to play the UCL, I'm sure Girona wouldn't have a problem playing the EL
Nah they were allowed since either Salzburg or Leipzig were only sponsored by red bull without them having stake in the club itself.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Depor going down would be a big shame, hopefully they manage to survive another year somehow.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Depor going down would be a big shame, hopefully they manage to survive another year somehow.
Really don't see it now. They've had winnable games last 5 weeks and not looked like winning any of them. Team cohesion is a mess and Seedorf inexperienced in this situation.

Las Palmas more likely to get out of it. Levante, Depor and Malaga the bottom three.

Afganitia

Supports
Girona
Nah they were allowed since either Salzburg or Leipzig were only sponsored by red bull without them having stake in the club itself.
Griona is not city owned so no problem with that. Also there is no reason to forbid them from doing so.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Deportivo are 2nd division material, and the worst part is that, as always, you can't know when you're coming back from that pit.
Unless you're Newcastle. In their case you're guaranteed a season of excellent football ending with promotion!
Really don't see it now. They've had winnable games last 5 weeks and not looked like winning any of them. Team cohesion is a mess and Seedorf inexperienced in this situation.
Yeah, the team is a mess. No signs of Colak and Gil anywhere who I thought were alright players.
Las Palmas more likely to get out of it. Levante, Depor and Malaga the bottom three.
I agree but I'm less confident now they've lost Viera. :(

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Levante haven't won a game in three months and have a boring starting 11.

Migo

Messi Pulled out of today's game squad for personal reasons, reports say his wife is giving birth.

Probably Valverde will have to start with Coutinho and Dembele.

El Pasillo

Eibar have been really impressive against Real Madrid so far.

Last edited:

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Madrid are being completely dominated by Eibar. 30% possession :lol:

Trying to play counter attacking football with Isco on the pitch is useless

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Sevilla vs Valencia in 15 minutes.

Nolito in for Correa otherwise no surprise.

Valencia with Coquelin as RM. Dunno how this works, but he already played LM for them in the past (didn't watch this match).

PedroMendez

Acolyte
simple long ball over the back4, Escudero with a terrible touch stopping the ball for Rodrigo, who finishes alone against Sergio Rico.
This forum needs a facepalm smiley.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Harry Kane? And maybe a dribbler with some goals too. Say, Neymar...
Are you willing to fund the 600 million that would be necessary to make that happen? :lol:

I also think you'll get a striker and a winger, Hazard and Werner/Icardi though since there's no way Neymar + Kane is happening. I was more interested in who you'd sell actually.