La Liga 2017/18

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Spain isn't England. CL is far more important than any La Liga title. Only in England you will see some argung you need to win the league to be labeled great.
By your logic, 80% of games played by Real or Barcelona are irrelevant. Jose's 2012 season was pointless as he didn't win the CL. Atletico's league win a few years ago? Minor footnote.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
By your logic, 80% of games played by Real or Barcelona are irrelevant. Jose's 2012 season was pointless as he didn't win the CL. Atletico's league win a few years ago? Minor footnote.
What kind of point is that? Winning the league is great. Winning the CL is better. It's pretty simple really. Nobody in barcelona would have taken league+copa, even without defeats, over CL, at the beginning of the season

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Sevilla plans are: Cordón director of football and Pellegrini

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
What kind of point is that? Winning the league is great. Winning the CL is better. It's pretty simple really. Nobody in barcelona would have taken league+copa, even without defeats, over CL, at the beginning of the season
I'm not getting into a debate over which trophy is better, I'll leave that for those who hype up the CL.

Poster I quoted said, "another dull league winning season". I never knew a season in which you "only" won a domestic double could be characterized as dull, but hey ho, I learned something new today.

el3mel

Some, not only some but actually many Spanish fans still labelled Mourinho period at Madrid as a failure because he didn't win the CL so yes, CL is far more important than any league title for Madrid and Barca. Your problem is you are judging by the same standards English fans view their season with. Winning the league is fun, but failure in CL is unacceptable for both Spanish clubs, while in England you can win the league and get knocked out of 16th round and fans will be happy and season will be labelled as a success. In Spain it's different..

Only in England is the league viewed as or more important than CL.

Loublaze

ATLien
Some, not only some but actually many Spanish fans still labelled Mourinho period at Madrid as a failure because he didn't win the CL so yes, CL is far more important than any league title for Madrid and Barca. Your problem is you are judging by the same standards English fans view their season with. Winning the league is fun, but failure in CL is unacceptable for both Spanish clubs, while in England you can win the league and get knocked out of 16th round and fans will be happy and season will be labelled as a success. In Spain it's different..

Only in England is the league viewed as or more important than CL.
This is only true for Barca and Real because winning the league for them is almost a certainty every season. The other teams would absolutely cherish a league title. Winning the PL is much tougher to do unless Guardiola changes things as no team has a grip on the PL. Its probably also true currently for Bayern and PSG where they'd probably sack managers for failing to win the CL even after coasting the league

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
If the CL is more valuable and important to most fans outside England, perhaps they should push their clubs to abandon their domestic league and form a breakaway European league.

el3mel

This is only true for Barca and Real because winning the league for them is almost a certainty every season. The other teams would absolutely cherish a league title. Winning the PL is much tougher to do unless Guardiola changes things as no team has a grip on the PL. Its probably also true currently for Bayern and PSG where they'd probably sack managers for failing to win the CL even after coasting the league
Not disagreeing but I'm talking from Barca/Madrid perspective. If I were Barca fan, I'll be calling for Valverde head more than celebrating this league tbh.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Is this the same Luna who was at Villa?
Yep scored a wonder goal for us on first day at Arsenal but quickly declined like any left back we've had in last 10 years, very much a cursed position for us.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I must admit I hadn't realised just how good Levante's form has been. W9 D2 L1 in their last 12 matches. Amazing - that's 29 of their 46 points this season.
Watch out for Bardhi next year, he's been main catalyst for their brilliant run. Think he'll be on the radar of bigger clubs very soon.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Sevilla plans are: Cordón director of football and Pellegrini
Mentioned him a while back, think he'd be a very good appointment considering the jobs he did at Malaga and Villareal.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Selling Luis Suarez is about one of the stupidest things Barcelona can do. 37 goals for the season plus double digit assists. He works his ass off for the team without the ball and he's just a general annoyance for teams. There are 2 or 3 better strikers in the world at most and at his age they won't get a good enough price. His link up play and ability on the ball isn't as good anymore but he makes up for it with everything else. He also has plenty of experience and they're going to need every bit of it in the Champions League. If Madrid wins it again there will be a lot of pressure on Barcelona to win another CL.

Suarez most definitely won't be happy coming off the bench so I'm not sure how Griezmann coming in for over 100 million would make sense either.
31 goals, not 37, and in 50 games, not exactly a "galactic" number, specially when you have Leo Messi feeding you.

And what we're going to need in the CL are goals, he's on 4 goals in the last 19 CL games, as Messi plays further away from the 9 position and draws more defenders, we're going to need someone to compensate the amount of goals he'll lose, and I don't trust Coutinho or Dembele to do that next season, nevermind a guy like Suarez with those numbers in the last 2 years, chances are he could be even worse next season.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
31 goals, not 37, and in 50 games, not exactly a "galactic" number, specially when you have Leo Messi feeding you.

And what we're going to need in the CL are goals, he's on 4 goals in the last 19 CL games, as Messi plays further away from the 9 position and draws more defenders, we're going to need someone to compensate the amount of goals he'll lose, and I don't trust Coutinho or Dembele to do that next season, nevermind a guy like Suarez with those numbers in the last 2 years, chances are he could be even worse next season.
Fair enough on the 31 goals, I misread it. I understand the logic behind replacing Suarez as he's getting older but I think it's way too soon for that. He's a crucial part of this team and losing his 30 goals won't help, Griezmann isn't really a striker and you 100% won't sign a better striker than Suarez.

I just don't see how it's possible to buy Griezmann and keep the team balanced and everyone in the dressing room happy.

Pagh Wraith

What an absolute disaster for Barcelona. How can you leave out Pique and Messi in a game of that magnitude?

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
What an absolute disaster for Barcelona. How can you leave out Pique and Messi in a game of that magnitude?
Messi has a friendly
He has to play in this week as Barca get 7 million for his appearance. Barca should have won without him, appalling defense unfortunately

MalcolmTucker

Messi has a friendly
He has to play in this week as Barca get 7 million for his appearance. Barca should have won without him, appalling defense unfortunately
If that's true that is absolutely ridiculous. If I was a barca fan I'd be fuming.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
If that's true that is absolutely ridiculous. If I was a barca fan I'd be fuming.
Absolutely bizarre for Barca to schedule a meaningless friendly
For $$ towards the end of the season. Most of the time in la Liga the race isn’t decided until the final week so this was terrible timing

MalcolmTucker

Just LOL at Barca, how on earth can you prioritise a friendly ($$) for a chance at history? So much for more than a club. Are Barca fans not livid?

MalcolmTucker

Messi's contract aint gonna pay itself.
Messi should be getting the most money in football and I'd rather the money go to him than to a board of directors/shareholders but that contract was obscene and if they can't actually afford it without doing friendlies mid-season then they shouldn't have offered it to him. The fact that they didn't rest Messi before the Roma game even though the league was all but wrapped up, but did with only 2 games to go to keep their unbeaten run for a friendly is insane.

A chance at history like two trebles?
I don't follow...

Last edited:

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
There is a new president in the Spanish football federation, Rubiales, who previously headed the players' union. In his promises there are few concrete things, only one match until quarters in la copa del Rey, keep the Christmas break and promote futsal. It would be great if he could involve big teams in this.Ricardinho deserves to be known.
Super popular for amateurs but with little visibility.
On the other hand, Garitano, from Leganés, seems to have an agreement with Real Sociedad, although a few days ago press talked about Emery.
My best friend, socio of Deportivo, thought they had options to sign him for segunda (poor fool).
However they have signed Del Pozo, director of football from Levante, who already has the consideration of "our Monchi", people are excited about him.
On the other hand there will be elections, since a candidate has gathered a minimum of shares, although being the owner of a ruined mall does not give much hope to the people.
With Rayo and Huesca almost in primera and seeing the promotion, it is going to be a very hard segunda with Cádiz, Zaragoza, Oviedo, Osasuna, Málaga, Granada,Valladolid...
I'm looking forward to the end of la liga. It's being eternal.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
There is a new president in the Spanish football federation, Rubiales, who previously headed the players' union. In his promises there are few concrete things, only one match until quarters in la copa del Rey, keep the Christmas break and promote futsal. It would be great if he could involve big teams in this.Ricardinho deserves to be known.
On the other hand, Garitano, from Leganés, seems to have an agreement with Real Sociedad, although a few days ago press talked about Emery.
My best friend, socio of Deportivo, thought they had options to sign him for segunda (poor fool).
However they have signed Del Pozo, director of football from Levante, who already has the consideration of "our Monchi", people are excited about him.
On the other hand there will be elections, since a candidate has gathered a minimum of shares, although being the owner of a ruined mall does not give much hope to the people.
With Rayo and Huesca almost in primera and seeing the promotion, it is going to be a very hard segunda with Cádiz, Zaragoza, Oviedo, Osasuna, Málaga, Granada,Valladolid...
Who are Bilbao going to get. Ziganda is definitely going? They had the press conference last Friday confirming it. All the players were there, hard to say what they were thinking, most looked upset to be fair.

DomesticTadpole

There has been talk for weeks that Garitano was going to Bilbao. You have thrown a right spanner in the works my lad. :lol:

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Who are Bilbao going to get. Ziganda is definitely going? They had the press conference last Friday confirming it. All the players were there, hard to say what they were thinking, most looked upset to be fair.
It seems that will be Berizzo

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Why is Berizzo not very good? Seen he was Bielsa's assistant at Chile? God is a lunatic like him?
Berizzo is good, I like him,but Garitano has done very well in Leganés, so I think he deserves the opportunity in a bigger team.

DomesticTadpole

Berizzo is good, I like him,but Garitano has done very well in Leganés, so I think he deserves the opportunity in a bigger team.
Thought Abelardo was at Sociedad. Is that only short-term? Think he has done a good job. Maybe Athletic think these players need a kick up the backside. It is basically the same side, yet they cannot keep the goals out. They have struggled for goals for ages, but have always been defensively secure. I suppose it has been disrupted by injury and illness and then Laporte going and Martinez (who I like) coming in, but it cannot help. I do not know if the players didn't play for him or they tried hard, they said they were trying, or the manager just got it wrong.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I'm not getting into a debate over which trophy is better, I'll leave that for those who hype up the CL.

Poster I quoted said, "another dull league winning season". I never knew a season in which you "only" won a domestic double could be characterized as dull, but hey ho, I learned something new today.
I completely agree with you. The CL final is between a team who hasn't been the best in their country for nearly 30 years and a team who, as of right now, is 3rd best in theirs. Yet, even though neither of them will be champions of their respective country, they'll be crowned champions of Europe, which makes no sense.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Thought Abelardo was at Sociedad. Is that only short-term? Think he has done a good job. Maybe Athletic think these players need a kick up the backside. It is basically the same side, yet they cannot keep the goals out. They have struggled for goals for ages, but have always been defensively secure. I suppose it has been disrupted by injury and illness and then Laporte going and Martinez (who I like) coming in, but it cannot help. I do not know if the players didn't play for him or they tried hard, they said they were trying, or the manager just got it wrong.
Abelardo is in Alavés. La Real sacked Eusebio and have been some weeks with an interim.
I do not watch Athletic so much to tell you what the problem is, but listening to radio pundits and fans, everyone seems to blame Ziganda.
You need a substitute for Aduriz, someone who can contribute with 10/15 goals (the return of Llorente?, it would be so weird...) and some good signing. There are rumors about Herrera and Yuri