La Liga 2017/18

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
It will get smaller. Barca have Valencia, Sevilla, and Villareal, two of those away. No way they're not dropping points the way they're playing. Could well drop as much as 5-6 points.
You'll get outplayed and win the match :lol:

The league is pretty much over, there's a reason no team came back from a 10 point difference before in La Liga and Valencia aren't quite good enough to challenge either. It's a shame too because we're in the middle of November and 4 of the top 5 leagues seem like they have the title decided already.

serghei

Supports
FC Barcelona
You're really pessimistic I must admit. :D :D
Nope. Valencia away is a draw at this moment probably, and Villareal away is a historically tough venue for Barca. 2 draws would be pretty normal. Barca play on Bernabeu where Madrid has the edge, and also soon after on Anoeta, another place where they usually lose or draw.

4-5 really tough away games which will decide the league. If Barca keep a 7-8 point lead after those games, then yea, they'll probably win the league.

el3mel

Nope. Valencia away is a draw at this moment probably, and Villareal away is a historically tough venue for Barca. 2 draws would be pretty normal. Barca play on Bernabeu and also soon on Anoeta, another place where they usually lose or draw.
Let's see, but I'm pretty confident of Barca winning the league this season.

serghei

Supports
FC Barcelona
Let's see, but I'm pretty confident of Barca winning the league this season.
I think it will be decided in the last 2 rounds like in the last 3 seasons. Barca would do well to arrive with +4 points before the clasico on Camp Nou.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
You'll get outplayed and win the match :lol:

The league is pretty much over, there's a reason no team came back from a 10 point difference before in La Liga and Valencia aren't quite good enough to challenge either. It's a shame too because we're in the middle of November and 4 of the top 5 leagues seem like they have the title decided already.
Pretty much that, only league interesting to watch this season is Serie A, regarding more than one team chalenging for the title, of course there are also good teams on the other leagues, also there is always the Champions League to give a look.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He's been awful for a while. Looks like his head has gone. Needs a fresh challenge.
That's Kroos when he's tired/lacking fitness

he was much better tonight.

I do agree that we might have to rethink the midfield once we move on from Cristiano. Too slow. That said, given their ages, i'd sooner bin Modric than Kroos. Kovacic and Ceballos need to give Zidane something to think about. Dunno why Zidane doesn't see Ceballos btw...

wr8_utd

:'(

I do agree that we might have to rethink the midfield once we move on from Cristiano. Too slow. That said, given their ages, i'd sooner bin Modric than Kroos. Kovacic and Ceballos need to give Zidane something to think about. Dunno why Zidane doesn't see Ceballos btw...
He's fantastic even now.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

No way - you don't want to lose Modric. He's the Pirlo and Scholes of your side.. the heartbeat. He will grow old gracefully - just surround him with dynamic players.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
No way - you don't want to lose Modric. He's the Pirlo and Scholes of your side.. the heartbeat. He will grow old gracefully - just surround him with dynamic players.
He's 32 and not particularly better than Kroos who's 27. Pirlo, he is not.

Wouldn't sell either guy atm anyways. Unless you guys offer us Pogba in exchange...

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I think the league is lost, although we will see the good Madrid of last year, when they recover form.
It is time to say that the Copa del Rey is very important and go for it, as well as the Clubs world cup.
The entire season will depend on achieving the third consecutive European Cup. I reckon its very difficult right now. It would depend on a flash in a season that is being mediocre (although for Madrid worked in the past).
After that, time to think about the transfer market.
My perfect scenario would be signing a striker + Neymar.
The ideal would be Kane = Bale + money.
I have many reservations about paying so much money for a player semi unknown to the fans, who comes from another league and would cost 150 million. Including Bale in the signing would ease the feeling. However, Levy won´t take the bait and probably won´t match his wages.

Therefore the alternatives would be a French adventure or United. Putting the press to work and sell that story.
Griezmann could be good too. Today they booed him, they begin to be fed up with his statements. Despite staying a year, it does not seem to have earned him sympathy in the fans. A perfect scenario for him to make a Hugo Sánchez.

I believe, every day more firmly that we are going to pay 220 million and we are going to bring Neymar. Hopefully with Cristiano also in the team.
I do not understand very well what happens with Ceballos, I always imagined that he would have a difficult start in the club, but Zidane is really leaving him aside, like Mayoral, and both scored goals and played good games when had minutes.
With Theo I had high hopes but he has not started as I thought.

To finish my next season fantasy I would also include a Odegaard already prepared for Madrid, and perhaps some other young player. I would love Foden but I imagine it is impossible.

wr8_utd

I think the league is lost, although we will see the good Madrid of last year, when they recover form.
It is time to say that the Copa del Rey is very important and go for it, as well as the Clubs world cup.
The entire season will depend on achieving the third consecutive European Cup. I reckon its very difficult right now. It would depend on a flash in a season that is being mediocre (although for Madrid worked in the past).
I have many reservations about paying so much money for a player semi unknown to the fans, who comes from another league and would cost 150 million. Including Bale in the signing would ease the feeling. However, Levy won´t take the bait and probably won´t match his wages.

Therefore the alternatives would be a French adventure or United. Putting the press to work and sell that story.
Griezmann could be good too. Today they booed him, they begin to be fed up with his statements. Despite staying a year, it does not seem to have earned him sympathy in the fans. A perfect scenario for him to make a Hugo Sánchez.

I believe, every day more firmly that we are going to pay 220 million and we are going to bring Neymar. Hopefully with Cristiano also in the team.
I do not understand very well what happens with Ceballos, I always imagined that he would have a difficult start in the club, but Zidane is really leaving him aside, like Mayoral, and both scored goals and played good games when had minutes.

To finish my next season fantasy I would also include a Odegaard already prepared for Madrid, and perhaps some other young player. I would love Foden but I imagine it is impossible.
220m won't be enough for Neymar and he has no release clause. They'll demand 300m for him, if they sell at all.

RedStrudel76

The Ronaldo decline is real.

He's looked awful whenever I've watched him this season bar the Dortmund game.
Agree.

He gets massively overrated because he's like a Ruud Van Nistelrooy infront of goal, so when he scores you see the comments on here how he was amazing etc when he plays the same as tonight. He probably is the best goal scorer in the World, but not the BEST player, just like people use to say Michael Owen was a great goal-scorer but not player, there is a difference that involves vision, passing the ball through the eye of a needle, technique etc.

serghei

Supports
FC Barcelona
PSG would be the laughing stock of Europe again if they lose Neymar after 1 single season.

RedStrudel76

Tbf, Madrid were robbed of 2 penalties and a red for Correa. Almost all important decisions went Atletico's way.
Sick of reading every week excauses for Real Madrid TBH ! they are shite this season and heads need to role (starting with Zidane), no shame in admitting it.

Also people trying to keep La Liga alive in any desperate way.. Barca are amazing defensively this season, credit where credit is due they have shocked World Football.

Benzema is a joke, yet they persist with the Big Frenchman because he's Ronaldo's mate and Ronaldo doesn't want a top top striker like Aguero stealing his thunder. When ego gets in the way that is when the demise happens of a top team. In 10-15 years nobody will remember this Madrid side because they are just so smug and unlikeable.

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
220m won't be enough for Neymar and he has no release clause. They'll demand 300m for him, if they sell at all.
More likely they just hang up the phone, it would make zero sense for PSG to sell him after all the effort they've gone through in order to get him in the first place, especially considering their stance on Verratti.

I don't doubt it would be great for Real to sign Neymar, unfortunately for them i think it just isn't gonna happen, at least not in the foreseeable future.

serghei

Supports
FC Barcelona
Sick of reading every week excauses for Real Madrid TBH ! they are shite this season and heads need to role (starting with Zidane), no shame in admitting it.

Benzema is a joke, yet they persist with the Big Frenchman because he's Ronaldo's mate and Ronaldo doesn't want a top top striker like Aguero stealing his thunder. When ego gets in the way that is when the demise happens of a top team. In 10-15 years nobody will remember this Madrid side because they are just so smug and unlikeable.
You won't here excuses for Madrid from me, just stating a simple truth.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid

If they don´t win anything at the end of the season definitely there will be a lot of changes, but the head of Zidane after 2 C.L... We are still in November

MemphisDepay

Supports
Rangers and Celtic

Trust me Ronaldo will remember most of it. He’s probably got wallpaper above his bed with him holding last season’s trophy.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid

We do need a very good striker like any of those you mentioned but I think before going for them we need to move on from Benzema as he's clearly favored by the board and I wouldn't mind him if he was rotated properly but that's never the case with him. Bale has a pretty bad injury record and wouldn't mind selling him as well and think Ronaldo can stay a few more season as long as we rotate him properly.

Personally I'm a big fan of Griezmann but maybe someone like Kane or Neymar would make more sense.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
I can only imagine what the reaction will be like when Cristiano actually starts playing poorly.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
I can only imagine what the reaction will be like when Cristiano actually starts playing poorly.
We'll get three tiers in Ronaldo's downfall story.

First one, when Ronaldo stops being his best version, but still remains within his scoring numbers, we're pass that but thankfully he dodged it due to Real and Portugal winning trophies (that he, of course was key part to win).
Second one, when he not only stops only being his best version, but seems inferior to other elite players and his stats start looking reachable for other guys that Real Madrid could sign (I think we've been here for the last 12 months)
And lastly, when he's old enough that he's not only far from his best version, but he no longer can hold the comparison against Messi or other rising stars.

I think he individually peaked through the 2011/2015 years, with the 2nd Ancelotti year being his last pure Ronaldo year, after that he has won more titles (but titles are not won only with individual performances, 2012 probably was the absolute peak of Messi/Ronaldo careers yet frigging Chelsea won the UCL) and changed his approach to the game even more towards finishing and less being involved from the midfield onwards.

Once he actually starts playing poorly and hindering Real Madrid? Well that's going to be another Spanish civil war, he'll still be respected by everyone in Portugal, but even guys like Raul or Casillas that were idolized in Spain had two clear fronts defending or attacking them (and Casillas was a "national hero" after 2010), so the fight between pro and anti Ronaldo in the Spanish media and everything related is going to be unbearable.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
We'll get three tiers in Ronaldo's downfall story.

First one, when Ronaldo stops being his best version, but still remains within his scoring numbers, we're pass that but thankfully he dodged it due to Real and Portugal winning trophies (that he, of course was key part to win).
Second one, when he not only stops only being his best version, but seems inferior to other elite players and his stats start looking reachable for other guys that Real Madrid could sign (I think we've been here for the last 12 months)
And lastly, when he's old enough that he's not only far from his best version, but he no longer can hold the comparison against Messi or other rising stars.

I think he individually peaked through the 2011/2015 years, with the 2nd Ancelotti year being his last pure Ronaldo year, after that he has won more titles (but titles are not won only with individual performances, 2012 probably was the absolute peak of Messi/Ronaldo careers yet frigging Chelsea won the UCL) and changed his approach to the game even more towards finishing and less being involved from the midfield onwards.

Once he actually starts playing poorly and hindering Real Madrid? Well that's going to be another Spanish civil war, he'll still be respected by everyone in Portugal, but even guys like Raul or Casillas that were idolized in Spain had two clear fronts defending or attacking them (and Casillas was a "national hero" after 2010), so the fight between pro and anti Ronaldo in the Spanish media and everything related is going to be unbearable.
This season in particular it's tough to tell where he's at because there's a chance at getting a 3rd CL in a row plus the World Cup at the end of the season. A very good World Cup campaign is pretty much the only thing missing from his career so he'll be focused on getting himself in shape for that. After getting to the last 2 World Cups with injury problems and after what happened last season I think we'll only see what he still has to offer from March onwards.

In my opinion, so far this season his performances have showed nothing to assume he's any worse than last season and last season even though he wasn't consistently as good as from 2007-2015 it was probably the most impressive year of his career. Finishing has been off so far but that's just been a problem in the league and it will sort itself out, the mobility and athleticism are still there which is the most important.

As for leaving Madrid, he should leave either at the end of this or the next season, seems obvious Madrid will start declining and him being the star player means he'll take the blame even if he's still more than good enough. Anywhere else with any other fans he'd be treated like God almighty until he retired, but not at Real Madrid. He's still young enough to have one last challenge, the problem is I don't really see any club where he'd fit in. PSG would make sense but with Neymar and Mbappe there I don't see it happening and in England there's only United which wouldn't be good for anyone imo. Maybe Juve will try to get him to see if they can finally win the CL? I doubt it.

MDFC Manager

Madrid being shite is so great to see:drool: They've taken no advantage of the mini turmoil at Barcelona, and instead are now struggling themselves:lol:

El-Buitre

Supports
Real Madrid
Time to fire Zidane,Benzema,Bale(always injured anyway) and probably Ronaldo if he keep being that bad , he really look old this season..we need to bring new blood offensively , we did a huge mistake not signing Mbappé last summer.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Time to fire Zidane,Benzema,Bale(always injured anyway) and probably Ronaldo if he keep being that bad , he really look old this season..we need to bring new blood offensively , we did a huge mistake not signing Mbappé last summer.
KDB is good. I highly recommend him. ;););)

SfcNervion

Supports
Sevilla FC
Don't forget that Cristiano was poor this time last season as well. There were lot of voices back then who suggested that it should have been his last season. Then, during the spring he was on fire and scoring 10 goals between the quarter finals and the final of Champions League (that is 10 goals in season's 5 most cruicial games!). He has also mentioned that his training setup is different since 2-3 years back; his aim is to be on top of his game during spring because he can't be on top form throughout the year anymore. So don't be surprise if we see a different and more sharp Cristiano during the spring.

Considering the ballon d'or, I wouldn't mind if either Messi or Cristiano got it. Messi's autumn has been inhuman, and he has not even been at his top form yet:houllier: The only downside for Messi is that you win the medals during the spring and not autumn, else I think he would obviously receive the ballon d'or without discussion.

Benzema however...Any other player would have been thrown out of a club like Real Madrid or Barcelona, 'performing' like Benzema. He would have also been thrown out of Getafe to be fair. A player like that would have been sold 3-4 seasons ago. He should write a book about his secret:
'I Came,
I saw,
I was crap,
I dodged every transfer window
= I earned medals:cool:'.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Short bench and fatigue catching up with Madrid?
In november? Hardly.

Though bit unlucky with the injuries, and the planning of the defence was dire, i've been saying it all summer...

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Benz is currently utter shit but at least he was useful in the past for Madrid. What is really holding them back is bale being a non-factor while getting a royal paycheck. Either he is injured or looks totally out of place.
With Christiano out/not in form, they need another forward chipping in goals. Only asensio is doing so, but he is still just a talent.
I also remember what I wrote in preseason: getting talents (Theo+ ceballos) is great but you never know how they perform. Currently they are also non-factors, which leaves very few options to put pressure on starters, who are not in form.
Kroos badly needs some rest (or just more pressure). Casemiro lost a bit of concentration/tenacity. Modric is not as consistent as he was previously. Marcelo struggles.
It's quite natural that teams lose some of their determination after winning so many titles. It's now up to zidane to reignite the fire or give some of those players (Benz, bale, maybe even CR and some squad players) the boot.

redNATION

Neymar was bought to increase Qatar's clout and profile ahead of the 2022 World Cup, when Neymar should be the no1 superstar in football in a post-Messi/Ronaldo world, there's no way he can leave. Real couldnt afford him anyway, and his wages would be extortionate. There's seriously a greater chance of Qatar just buying Real, than there is of Real buying Neymar. Real will find that they cant bully clubs into selling anymore, they dont have the market to themselves anymore, and as Barca found out, everyone will quote £100m+ for their players.

serghei

Supports
FC Barcelona
Both Barca and Real should realize that the market has changed and choose to insist on Spanish players mostly, adding only 3-4 world stars. You don't need the most expensive players to be the best. Hell 2009-2011 Barca was a rather inexpensive team. Spain produces top quality players on a consistent basis. Barca & Madrid shouldn't let domestic talents slip, like it happened with De Gea, David Silva, or Mata to a lesser extent for example.

Last edited:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Anyone think Bilbao might do down this season?

The three promoted clubs have been better than expected (much like premier league). I know Alaves and Malaga have been poor but both have some decent forward players like Munir and Bojan upfront so possibly they might go on a run second half of the season.

When you think about it's probably one of the most remarkable achievements in european football they've never been relegated just picking local players. Be interested how well/bad a premier league club would do if they just picked players from a 100 mile radius around their stadium.

Paul_Scholes18

I thought Ronaldo didn't play well for most of last season then he scored like crazy in the champions league and helped them win it. I will not rule him out, but it is quite clear that Messi has been the best player in the world for a long time. Ronaldo can score great in spells, but he can't keep up with Messi over a season anymore.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I also remember what I wrote in preseason: getting talents (Theo+ ceballos) is great but you never know how they perform. Currently they are also non-factors, which leaves very few options to put pressure on starters, who are not in form.
Hard to tell whether they can be factors when Zidane either plays them out of position(Theo) or doesn't play them at all(Dani)

Ceballos scored a brace in his first league start....

wr8_utd

I thought Ronaldo didn't play well for most of last season then he scored like crazy in the champions league and helped them win it. I will not rule him out, but it is quite clear that Messi has been the best player in the world for a long time. Ronaldo can score great in spells, but he can't keep up with Messi over a season anymore.
Shh. He won the trophies so he's obviously the best.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Also people trying to keep La Liga alive in any desperate way.. Barca are amazing defensively this season, credit where credit is due they have shocked World Football.

:lol::lol: you're deluding yourself if you think they won't remembered as the first club in history to retain the CL or the first club to have won 3 times in 4 years (if both of those achievements are emulated by then and if not, they'll be remembered even more).