g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Luke Shaw image 23

Luke Shaw England flag

2014-15 Performances

View full 2014-15 profile

6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamadovich86

Don't exaggerate please.
Not exaggerating at all, based on his performance he has not been good enough and is constantly injured. I dont know how good he was with Southampton so if this is as good as it gets with him then yes we should get another LB IMO.

Mali_Zeus

Not exaggerating at all, based on his performance he has not been good enough and is constantly injured. I dont know how good he was with Southampton so if this is as good as it gets with him then yes we should get another LB IMO.
You're dissing player after one season, that hasnt even ended yet?

He's 19 years old ffs.

Hamadovich86

You're dissing player after one season, that hasnt even ended yet?

He's 19 years old ffs.
How exactly am I "dissing" him? He has not performed well this season or at the very most he has not reached the levels expected of him and the constant injuries have not helped either. Sure hes 19 so? Since hes 19 and has not proven to be a top LB why is he our first choice LB? Shouldnt we have another lad to compete with him so Shaw can actually improve? I'm not saying "oh feck this lad ship him off" he just needs to improve a lot.

Mali_Zeus

How exactly am I "dissing" him? He has not performed well this season or at the very most he has not reached the levels expected of him and the constant injuries have not helped either. Sure hes 19 so? Since hes 19 and has not proven to be a top LB why is he our first choice LB? Shouldnt we have another lad to compete with him so Shaw can actually improve? I'm not saying "oh feck this lad ship him off" he just needs to improve a lot.
He hasnt reached the levels expected but he's a new player, very young player and time is on his side. Does he have to prove he's a top LB in one season?
We have Rojo to fill in if he's injured, or when he's not on form.
He's our first choice LB cause he's our best LB.
I'm sure this season is not as good as he gets..

Hamadovich86

He hasnt reached the levels expected but he's a new player, very young player and time is on his side. Does he have to prove he's a top LB in one season?
We have Rojo to fill in if he's injured, or when he's not on form.
He's our first choice LB cause he's our best LB.
I'm sure this season is not as good as he gets..
Hes our best LB because we dont have another option except for Rojo who is imo our best CB and thats where he should be playing for us. Obviously I do hope that he has more to offer and im counting on it because otherwise it would be a massive letdown.

ZDwyr

He's perfectly fine I think. Just needs to sort his injury issues out.

Bwuk

Why was he rushed into the side, if we knew he'd only be able to play 45 minutes?

Godfather

Hes our best LB because we dont have another option except for Rojo who is imo our best CB and thats where he should be playing for us. Obviously I do hope that he has more to offer and im counting on it because otherwise it would be a massive letdown.
This pretty much

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Been a frustrating season for him. Every time it looks like he's picking up some real form and consistency he gets injured. Let's hope he doesn't become another Smalling and Jones.

justboy68

Tough first season for the lad. Lots of injuries and mostly uninspiring performances when he has played. Obviously got plenty of time on his side though so no need to worry too much as of yet. Hopefully he really kicks on next season.

m1y2

I am his fan but he shoul be concentrating on football. He seems like he's not on the pitch in his mind. I am very disappointed with this. It's his mentality but he shall be fine, should not be scared of Van Gaal that much and play his game..

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Exactly the reason you don't spend near £30m on potential, at least he should have been Englands no1 left back before we decided to do that... Jheeze anyway hes a good player and hopefully he'll sort out his fitness issues and show it. Awful lot of pressure on him though, people saying hes going to be the best LB in the world etc... I can see him ending up like Jones tbh

saivet

Just watch the first half again. Shambolic going forward, it seemed like he didn't want to help Young at times. Defensively, though, he wasn't as bad as I thought. He got skinned once by the Ox but aside from that he was solid enough.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Exactly the reason you don't spend near £30m on potential, at least he should have been Englands no1 left back before we decided to do that... Jheeze anyway hes a good player and hopefully he'll sort out his fitness issues and show it. Awful lot of pressure on him though, people saying hes going to be the best LB in the world etc... I can see him ending up like Jones tbh
No guarantee he'd still be available since someone else could've easily bought him instead. Spending that sort of money may be a risk, but sometimes it has to be done if you want to acquire a potentially top player at a young age. I feel more confident about him than Jones because when he's been fit, he's looked like a fairly mature and consistent player for his age, at least in the defensive side of his game.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Poor old Shaw, needs to sort his attitude and dedicate himself to getting and staying fit. They've got to find a way to get through to him because his brain is non-existent. He's such a simple soul. Last night he had no end product. I wasn't sorry to see him go off. He'll come good eventually, but honestly he needs some kick ass direction. The day before the match he's sending stupid tweets to the English Arsenal players, 'see you tomorrow' or whatever. He should be concentrating on what he has to do, not send childish tweets. Someone should tell him, when you play your England pals in the league, they are your enemies. Treat them as such for those 90 minutes.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Poor old Shaw, needs to sort his attitude and dedicate himself to getting and staying fit. They've got to find a way to get through to him because his brain is non-existent. He's such a simple soul. Last night he had no end product. I wasn't sorry to see him go off. He'll come good eventually, but honestly he needs some kick ass direction. The day before the match he's sending stupid tweets to the English Arsenal players, 'see you tomorrow' or whatever. He should be concentrating on what he has to do, not send childish tweets. Someone should tell him, when you play your England pals in the league, they are your enemies. Treat them as such for those 90 minutes.
Not sure if serious. He can tweet whoever the feck he wants.

Jazz

Not sure if serious. He can tweet whoever the feck he wants.
The point of talking about the tweeting is it shows you his level of thinking. The day before a huge match he's acting like he's meeting up with the lads. I may be too old for this kind of attitude. But I'd prefer some intensity instead of that softly softly crap mentality of some of our players.

Sylar

He really struggled yesterday. There were times in the first half Young got the ball and was waiting for the overlap which didnt come and you could see Young (and at times Herrera / Blind) were frustrated.

It seriously did look like he was moving like hes overweight (even if he doesnt look it). Not sure if its injury, fitness or what? Quite bad.

SirAF

Ageist
The point of talking about the tweeting is it shows you his level of thinking. The day before a huge match he's acting like he's meeting up with the lads. I may be too old for this kind of attitude. But I'd prefer some intensity instead of that softly softly crap mentality of some of our players.
Normally I'd agree with you, but the lad is 19! Come on..

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Has it been confirmed that he came off because of injury last night?

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Yeah and what was De Gea thinking hugging Cazorla in the tunnel before the match. He would have got a clean sheet if he told Santi to feck off. The best players in the world hug and share laughs with opposition players in the tunnel every match. Sending tweets the day before a match isn't a problem. He isn't slapping them on the ass and telling jokes with them in the middle of the match.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
He can't have a joke with his friends a day before a match? I think some of you would prefer if footballers were robots with the way you go on.

SirAF

Ageist
Has it been confirmed that he came off because of injury last night?
Don't think it has been confirmed, but MEN wrote this:

"It is understood Shaw, who was sidelined for the wins over Sunderland and Newcastle, was not 100 per cent fit and removed as a precaution."

Which makes sense.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Don't think it has been confirmed, but MEN wrote this:

"It is understood Shaw, who was sidelined for the wins over Sunderland and Newcastle, was not 100 per cent fit and removed as a precaution."

Which makes sense.
I assumed as much at the time. Which could mean it's the truth or could mean it's an educated guess by MEN too :rolleyes:

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
He comes off as quite a shy guy in interviews, and it shows a little bit in his play. Still not playing with full conviction, in my opinion. I wouldn't be surprised if he's still very overwhelmed by this whole move.
He's also one player who might not benefit hugely from van Gaal while he's here.

I think he needs to be given freedom to express himself to be at his best, rather than being loaded with instructions (which I'd assume is the case.) Pochettino was a great coach for him in that regard.

And obviously we're used to Evra, who could spin on the ball and dribble from a standstill, but Shaw is very different.
I think (even from what I saw of him at Southampton) he looks/looked a more convincing attacker when the tempo is higher. He's not really a dribbler, but more of a runner. If that makes sense.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Managed poorly? How so? His injuries and generally being unfit are someone else's fault?
Van Gaal criticizing his fitness during pre season, the extra training(which could have lead to his injury), playing him as a LWB, the early subs.

Jazz

Y'all gimme a break over my tweeting comment. I'm old, have some respect:lol:

Redo91

You are clearly not in a position to judge him.

Hamadovich86

You are clearly not in a position to judge him.
I can judge him based on his performances this season. Others would know his potential better if they've followed his career prior to United but that doesnt mean I cant look at how hes done this season as a standalone. I doubt that many people have watched Rojo, Herrera or Blind play in their former clubs last season but that doesnt mean we cant evaluate them based on their performances this season.

Redo91

I can judge him based on his performances this season. Others would know his potential better if they've followed his career prior to United but that doesnt mean I cant look at how hes done this season as a standalone. I doubt that many people have watched Rojo, Herrera or Blind play in their former clubs last season but that doesnt mean we cant evaluate them based on their performances this season.
If you said he has been poor this season and left it at that then fair enough. You are entitled to your opinion based on his performances this season alone. However, you suggested that we should get another LB. That's not something you can say if you've only seen him play for us. He went to the World Cup and got in the PL Team of the Season at the age of 18 so he's obviously an incredible talent and certainly not someone we should be looking to replace. In fact after De Gea he is the last player that needs replacing.

Hamadovich86

If you said he has been poor this season and left it at that then fair enough. You are entitled to your opinion based on his performances this season alone. However, you suggested that we should get another LB. That's not something you can say if you've only seen him play for us. He went to the World Cup and got in the PL Team of the Season at the age of 18 so he's obviously an incredible talent and certainly not someone we should be looking to replace. In fact after De Gea he is the last player that needs replacing.
Shaw is our only proper left back don't you think we need some cover in any case? I've already said that Rojo shouldn't be used there so that's my take on that. Obviously I need to see more of him but he's not been convincing and what I'm saying is we need to bring in another LB for cover. It's at the very bottom of our squad needs for this summer so I'm not expecting anyone to come in even though we should have at least two options for every position. From what everyone is saying he was brilliant last season and I'll take that at face value but he's been average and sometimes even shit this season. Point is he has to work hard and prove himself at the very top level he hasn't done that this season so far but hopefully he can turn things around sooner rather than later.

RedPnutz

He can't have a joke with his friends a day before a match? I think some of you would prefer if footballers were robots with the way you go on.
But that seems to be what LVG is trying to do and it is wrong too. Also 19 year olds are somehow expected to act like they are 30 and all mature, except that if you are really 30, fans would rather get rid of you.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
I can't stand the immediate gratification some modern football fans demand, particularly from extremely young footballers.

Mali_Zeus

poor lad,he's supposedly fat,simple,not good enough and shouldnt tweet cause it means he isnt serious....

Some of the posts here were wov.

Status
Not open for further replies.