g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Luke Shaw image 23

Luke Shaw England flag

2014-15 Performances

View full 2014-15 profile

6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Revan

Assumptionman
Id agree with that. Yes we paid a lot, but thats what we expect to do with top top young talents. People have just had the wrong idea about him when the transfer went through, people kept harping on about him being an attacking fullback which just isnt the case. He's an athletic defence first LB, who needs to work on his attacking game which will come in time. He's somebody in 2-3 years time we wont mention in matchday threads because he will just do his job consistently.

If im honest? i think Ricardo Rodriguez will end up being the best fullback of this younger generation and i wish we had gone for him, but shaw will definitely be up there and english ;)
Agree with this. Rodriguez is both better and has more potential than Shaw, but Shaw will likely become one of the best in that position too.

For the best LB in the next 10 years, I think it will be between Alaba and Rodriguez though, and I doubt that Shaw will become as good as them. But he can be our new Gary Neville for the next 15 years, which would be fantastic.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
For the best LB in the next 10 years, I think it will be between Alaba and Rodriguez though, and I doubt that Shaw will become as good as them. But he can be our new Gary Neville for the next 15 years, which would be fantastic.
Most likely, though doesn't Alaba want to play in midfield long term? I think I remember one of the Bundesliga posters saying on here @Balu

Revan

Assumptionman
Most likely, though doesn't Alaba want to play in midfield long term? I think I remember one of the Bundesliga posters saying on here @Balu
Yeah, I think he said so in the past. Will that happen though is a different matter considering the numbers of midfielders Bayern have, and considering how good Alaba has been as a left back.

Damien

Staff
Yeah, I think he said so in the past. Will that happen though is a different matter considering the numbers of midfielders Bayern have, and considering how good Alaba has been as a left back.
I don't think he's played as a leftback much this season (might be due to the injuries they have), though again that's something @Balu would be able to confirm or not.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Shaw doesn't look anything like a 30 million pound player but he is still a boy so has more years than most to prove himself.
What a strange comment. Of course he is not a 30m player, but we invested not in the Shaw of 2014 but the Shaw of 2020. He's just a boy, same age as Januzaj, and needs a lot of time and progress

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Rodriguez really has progessed brilliantly and even though he signed a new contract, he will be at a top team in 2 years. I would never have expected him to improve the way he did. Tbf to Shaw, he's also older than him

Brightonian

Rodriguez really has progessed brilliantly and even though he signed a new contract, he will be at a top team in 2 years. I would never have expected him to improve the way he did. Tbf to Shaw, he's also older than him
Almost three years older iirc, which is a lot at this early stage in their careers. Shaw will be a massively different player in three years.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I don't think he's played as a leftback much this season (might be due to the injuries they have), though again that's something @Balu would be able to confirm or not.
We also have Bernat at leftback, who has been excellent. Wonderful player, what a bargain he was for 10m Euro. I'm not the slightest bit worried when Bernat starts and he's only 22 years old and in his first season in a new league in a foreign country.

Alaba is up there with the greatest midfield talents of this generation, I expect him to take over from Schweinsteiger as our leader in the middle over the next few years, can't see him staying at leftback for all his career. He's already the key player in the center for a very good Austrian generation in the nationalteam and said a few times, that he wants to play more central at Bayern, so that he can influence the games a lot more.

goin4glory

We also have Bernat at leftback, who has been excellent. Wonderful player, what a bargain he was for 10m Euro. I'm not the slightest bit worried when Bernat starts and he's only 22 years old and in his first season in a new league in a foreign country.

Alaba is up there with the greatest midfield talents of this generation, I expect him to take over from Schweinsteiger as our leader in the middle over the next few years, can't see him staying at leftback for all his career. He's already the key player in the center for a very good Austrian generation in the nationalteam and said a few times, that he wants to play more central at Bayern, so that he can influence the games a lot more.
Alaba is a good player but up there with the greatest midfield talents of his generation is way over the top.

GledTheRed

I knew Bernat would be a bargain, god knows how you cnuts got him for like 7 million quid, steal.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Southampton certainly did some good business selling Shaw for £30m and buying Bertrand for £10m.

Not to mention selling Lovren for £20m and getting Alderweirald for nothing.

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals
I'm not entirely convinced hes an LvG fave, in the same way as some others, saying that, when hes been fit he's usually appeared,
Having said that... LvG has needed to use Blind to anchor our midfield for most of the season, now that Carricks back, I get the feeling LvG would rather play Blind at LB over Shaw, but thats just my guess, we'll find out soon enough I suppose.
LvG confirmed he bought Blind for a spot in midfield. He's played most of his carreer at LB so he can certainly do a job there if Shaw isn't fit.

Dante

Average bang
I'd rather have the security of Rojo at LB on Sunday. Let Smalling and Jones continue their partnership in the middle. Blind and Carrick in midfield, with Herrera just ahead.

Revan

Assumptionman
I think that he was great (one of the best LB in the world) last season too. And didn't even heard about him until last season. If Shaw develops as fast as Rodriguez, then we will be very happy.

Raw

Looks like it'll be Blind for tomorrow then.

We should just give Shaw an extended break to get over his injury problems. The amount he's had this season is too much.

Damien

Staff
Looks like it'll be Blind for tomorrow then.

We should just give Shaw an extended break to get over his injury problems. The amount he's had this season is too much.
Always was going to be Blind anyway. van Gaal said Shaw was going to be on the bench in the prematch conference.

m1y2

Ah, didn't know that. At least we know Blind can perform well in that role.
Paddy McNair also had a good debut at RB. We were always on the front foot, everyone had a good game.. Liverpool is different league, Blind's lack of pace and strength is worrying, hope he does well tomorrow as it looks like he will start there..

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Let's get Rojo back and then give Shaw an early end to the season, so to speak. Give him a proper break. He's been non-stop for a couple years now. He needs a break. Ideally he wouldn't play for the u-21s this summer but he will, so give him a solid month or 2 beforehand.

Damien

Staff
From what a newbie said, it doesn't necessarily sound like he withdrew because he was injured

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...-add-trio-to-his-squad-for-european-qualifier

Shaw has been struggling with his fitness and is not expected to start in the Premier League match against Liverpool at Anfield on Sunday.
We'll see tomorrow anyway whether he's on bench or not. Best thing for him right now is to just rest... ridiculous how his injury record has gone from pretty immaculate to the worst since moving here.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
What the hell? Let us all remember he was practically unbreakable at Southampton.
I'm starting to think we should send our players to train with other clubs during the week, then just bring them together the day before a match. Just make sure it's not Arsenal.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Lad turned up a fat mess in pre-season and from then onwards it's been an uphill struggle re his fitness. I think he'll come good anyway, but things like this make my blood boil when I think of all the money we spent to get him and God knows how much we're paying him weekly, and a basic thing like rocking up in at least semi-good shape he didn't do.

Also, he was coming back from the World Cup with England - what the hell do they do there in training for him to turn up like that?

This season keep working on the fitness and start of next season, no excuses.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Lad turned up a fat mess in pre-season and from then onwards it's been an uphill struggle re his fitness. I think he'll come good anyway, but things like this make my blood boil when I think of all the money we spent to get him and God knows how much we're paying him weekly, and a basic thing like rocking up in at least semi-good shape he didn't do.

Also, he was coming back from the World Cup with England - what the hell do they do there in training for him to turn up like that?

This season keep working on the fitness and start of next season, no excuses.
Some say it was a big mistake from him and the club that he has made just one week holiday after the World Cup

24/6: He's played against Costa Rica
27/6: He has signed for us
29/6-6/7: Holiday in Spain
7/7: Back in training at Carrington

JoaquinJoaquin

Is he still alive? Really surprised at how lightly he has been treat by the media in comparison to our other Summer signings.

SirAF

Ageist
That's because he's done quite well, just been unfortunate with injuries.

kundalini

Quite well as in marginally better than McNair and Blackett.

Attacking contribution: 0 goals + 0 assists. Has created a few chances and had at least one decent shot (Palace match) that I can recall.

Defensive errors: sent off, gave away needless penalty against Everton, asleep for Everton goal, poor judgement for West Brom's first goal, at fault for Swansea goal away. Also other unpunished errors: a very similar situation for Swansea that they failed to score. That's off the top of my head.

Very low interceptions stats relative to the rest of the team. Decent in the air. The comparison with Valencia's stats is painful. Shaw is much better in the air; Valencia ahead on just about everything else.

He needs to either start contributing more going forwards or cut down the number of errors; ideally both.

Last edited:

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Quite well as in marginally better than McNair and Blackett.

Attacking contribution: 0 goals + 0 assists. Has created a few chances and had at least one decent shot that I can recall.

Defensive errors: sent off, gave away needless penalty against Everton, asleep for Everton goal, poor judgement for West Brom's first goal, at fault for Swansea goal away. Also other unpunished errors: a very similar situation for Swansea that they failed to score. That's off the top of my head.

Very low interceptions stats relative to the rest of the team. Decent in the air. The comparison with Valencia's stats is painful. Shaw is much better in the air; Valencia ahead on just about everything else.

He needs to either start contributing more going forwards or cut down the number of errors; ideally both.
He's 19 and clearly has a mountain of potential above both McNair and Blackett.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Rating a FB by goals and assists is the silliest thing possible. Back when he was a FB the only season Lahm racked up assists was the treble season and Cole never really had a ton of assists. Once Luke Shaw gets over what ever injury/fitness issue he seems to be having this season he will be a great FB for us. But, he is never going to be Roberto Carlos in terms of attacking.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Not worried about him right now. We have strong cover for him and he's still just a kid. Plenty of time for him to settle in and come good.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He's 19 years old and just moved from a small to a big club. Of course he's treated differently and obviously given much more time

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
What was this all about? I heard Shaw said something like I wont celebrate against Chelsea because of the interest they showed in me?
He mentioned in an interview about growing up supporting them, that he was hoping to be involved against them, and he doesn't know what he'd do if he scored his first Man Utd goal against them.

Status
Not open for further replies.