g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Luke Shaw image 23

Luke Shaw England flag

2014-15 Performances

View full 2014-15 profile

6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RuudTom83

Shaw doesn't look anything like a 30 million pound player but he is still a boy so has more years than most to prove himself.

RedDF

it seems to me hes starstruck. He's having trouble coping with the pressure of millions and millions of people watching him every week, looks to me as if he's restricted cause of that but im sure he'll get over it and become World class

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
No point in playing him. We'd have to haul him off at HT after he gets injured....again.

This season has been a write off for him. Every time he looks like he's getting in the groove (he even looked half decent going forward at one point) he gets injured again.

Count Orduck

It still staggers me we spent £30million on him. Amazing. He's been garbage so far, but I do appreciate he's 19 and it's a big step up. Even so, we got absolutely fleeced by Southampton (not that it's Shaw's fault).

Personally, I don't think he'll ever make it here. None of the ex-Southampton players that moved in the summer have gone on to make a big impact anywhere else (Shaw, Lallana, Lovren, Chambers, Lambert etc.), despite being great last year. And now their replacements in the Southampton team have all suddenly become really, really good players overnight. It strikes me that it's the system and the setup they have there that gets the best out of good players, rather than those players being almost world class individually.

I imagine a load more Southampton players will get moved on for mega-money in the summer, and we'll see them under-perform for their new clubs whilst their replacements at Southampton tear the league up.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It still staggers me we spent £30million on him. Amazing. He's been garbage so far, but I do appreciate he's 19 and it's a big step up. Even so, we got absolutely fleeced by Southampton (not that it's Shaw's fault).

Personally, I don't think he'll ever make it here. None of the ex-Southampton players that moved in the summer have gone on to make a big impact anywhere else (Shaw, Lallana, Lovren, Chambers, Lambert etc.), despite being great last year. And now their replacements in the Southampton team have all suddenly become really, really good players overnight. It strikes me that it's the system and the setup they have there that gets the best out of good players, rather than those players being almost world class individually.

I imagine a load more Southampton players will get moved on for mega-money in the summer, and we'll see them under-perform for their new clubs whilst their replacements at Southampton tear the league up.
Couldn't disagree with you more. He's been very good defensively it's only going forward he's lacked a little but then it's very difficult without a winger like he has had all season. All he has really struggled with is fitness and the continuity that comes with it.

I'm pleased with him so far and at £19 he's got a lot of years to earn his fee so there's zero point discussing it now.

Redo91

Couldn't disagree with you more. He's been very good defensively it's only going forward he's lacked a little but then it's very difficult without a winger like he has had all season. All he has really struggled with is fitness and the continuity that comes with it.

I'm pleased with him so far and at £19 he's got a lot of years to earn his fee so there's zero point discussing it now.
He cost a bit more than that to be fair.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I hope he doesn't. Blind was fantastic and LvG should try to build on last weekend's successful formula.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?

I remember reading similar arguments about Dortmund. Their case would imply that selling your best players, even in a controlled manner, will eventually take its toll.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I remember reading similar arguments about Dortmund. Their case would imply that selling your best players, even in a controlled manner, will eventually take its toll.
That arguement doesn't really back up when Lewandowski and Gotze went to Bayern, and are doing really well, while Dortmund have suffered majorly.

Shaw has done fine for us, people are expecting him to turn into Maldini and Cafu overnight but that doesn't happen, just like De Gea took a few seasons to sprout.

Once he settles into life here and becomes more confident his attacking play will grow remakably I am sure. He has the technique, he just needs to be braver to take people on and not be scared. To me he looks like he is playing it safe and not wanting to lose the ball, but you can't do that in a top team.

PlayerOne

I hope he doesn't. Blind was fantastic and LvG should try to build on last weekend's successful formula.
Playing Liverpool is very different from playing Spurs though. Blind didn't need to do much defending during the match, coming up against Sterling is a different matter. On the ball and going forward Blind is much better than Shaw though.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Playing Liverpool is very different from playing Spurs though. Blind didn't need to do much defending during the match, coming up against Sterling is a different matter. On the ball and going forward Blind is much better than Shaw though.
I don't see much of a difference, especially since we've already murdered the dippers once this year, and are finally beginning to look like United again.

PlayerOne

I don't see much of a difference, especially since we've already murdered the dippers once this year, and are finally beginning to look like United again.
I disagree mate, Liverpool at Anfield is a whole different game. Our record there is poor too.

Revan

Assumptionman
Considering that both Blind and Rojo are better than Shaw as a LB, I don't see any reason why we should rush Shaw on the first team. We should give him all the time he needs and consider him more as a signing fir future rather than for now.

El-Manos

Shaw will be class signing, not worried about him in the slightest.
Absolutely agree. Watched him last season and he was exceptional for his age. He's already proven to be very solid defensively, just needs to work on his attacking game more. By the age of 24 I expect him to be a beast for us.

Sam

:lol::lol:

He's been great 90% of the time. Just injured way to much.

Sam

Considering that both Blind and Rojo are better than Shaw as a LB, I don't see any reason why we should rush Shaw on the first team. We should give him all the time he needs and consider him more as a signing fir future rather than for now.
They're definatly not. In fact Rojo is quite considerably worse.

Blind is much better on the ball and going forward, but Shaw is much better defensively.

Revan

Assumptionman
They're definatly not. In fact Rojo is quite considerably worse.

Blind is much better on the ball and going forward, but Shaw is much better defensively.
Shaw is better defensively, both of them are considerably better attacking-wise. I think that both of them have performed better than him in that position this year (although Blind played only once there).

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Shaw was (and still is) a prospect when we bought him. I always maintained we would have done well to try to keep Evra on for another season to smooth the transition while Shaw adapts and matures. As it is, we bought two players also capable of playing LB (Blind and Rojo) which provides good competition for the spot.

Shaw is without doubt the future first choice LB, but personally I think people are expecting too much if they expected him to instantly come in this season, nail down the position and play every game. He is young and has had a considerable step up in coming to United - it is stupid to put so much pressure on him this season.

kundalini

Reminds me of Phil Jones; Physically miles ahead of his age group so got his chance in the PL much earlier than others. As to whether he has the talent and mentality to be a United player, I'm not sure.

This season too many defensive errors given his productivity in the attacking third. The comparison with Valencia is not a favourable one. For a player with a reputation for being good defensively, Shaw has really underperformed in this respect.

Needs to cut down the number of stupid errors, especially poor marking, and try to contribute more in attack, better final ball especially.

Revan

Assumptionman
Reminds me of Phil Jones; Physically miles ahead of his age group so got his chance in the PL much earlier than others. As to whether he has the talent and mentality to be a United player, I'm not sure.

This season too many defensive errors given his productivity in the attacking third. The comparison with Valencia is not a favourable one.

Needs to cut down the number of stupid errors, especially poor marking, and try to contribute more in attack, better final ball especially.
Shaw is defensively very good though (by any standard, not only as a young player). Jones never looked as good at anything bar making weird faces.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi

This season too many defensive errors given his productivity in the attacking third. The comparison with Valencia is not a favourable one. For a player with a reputation for being good defensively, Shaw has really underperformed in this respect.

I tend to be a big Phil Jones defender on this forum but, Shaw's composure and positioning are better than what Jones was at that age.

ZDwyr

I think I would play him against Liverpool. It is a big decision for van Gaal though. Not sure I would be comfortable with Coutinho and Sterling drifting out wide down Blind's flank. Shaw's defensive solidity would probably be enough to get the nod for me.

ricky-romeo

defensively he is solid, he's rapid and covers a lot of ground and imagine if he can cross like blind!

shame he just can't stay fit since joining us.

Oo0AahCantona

Shaw will be class signing, not worried about him in the slightest.
Id agree with that. Yes we paid a lot, but thats what we expect to do with top top young talents. People have just had the wrong idea about him when the transfer went through, people kept harping on about him being an attacking fullback which just isnt the case. He's an athletic defence first LB, who needs to work on his attacking game which will come in time. He's somebody in 2-3 years time we wont mention in matchday threads because he will just do his job consistently.

If im honest? i think Ricardo Rodriguez will end up being the best fullback of this younger generation and i wish we had gone for him, but shaw will definitely be up there and english ;)

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
I'm not entirely convinced hes an LvG fave, in the same way as some others, saying that, when hes been fit he's usually appeared,
Having said that... LvG has needed to use Blind to anchor our midfield for most of the season, now that Carricks back, I get the feeling LvG would rather play Blind at LB over Shaw, but thats just my guess, we'll find out soon enough I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.