Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gladiator

“He is ok, but I am always a trainer-coach who sees individuals and what they need,” the Dutchman said of Shaw. “He needs to be fit and is not very fit and fit enough to do what I want. He needs to train individually until he is fit. I cannot judge that, but I see what I see. I have spoken with him and we have made a programme for him. He agreed with me.”

To the question of how long his arrival at Premier League readiness would take, Van Gaal replied: “That we have to see, but that I don’t know. I have heard good messages from Strud (fitness coach Tony Strudwick), but we have to see.”
thanks crono. another non-story. *sigh*

Oo0AahCantona

Who's actually said that?
Theres a few people, cant remember names exactly but there are definantly comments suggesting shaw and rooney in particular are fat through the caf. which is just not the case in any way.

Last edited:

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
The fastest stoned guy I've ever seen.

He's slowly starting to grasp the concept of VG's philosophy. The individual trainings organized for him may be the key.

Sid234

"Luke is working very hard and he was lucky because normally I would have played our friend Reece James, but he was a little but injured.

"And so I asked him in spite of a very heavy training session this morning and I think he did very well.
Shaw wasn't supposed to play tonight, only played because James had a knock

Lance Uppercut

Someone explain to me how Luke Shaw is "not fit enough"?

He was fit going into the World Cup and was hardly overplayed in that. Has he just let himself go on holiday or what???
He can tell you himself.

Van Gaal made Shaw train on his own earlier in the week and said the teenager's fitness was not at the level he desires of his players as the start of the Premier League season looms.

Shaw, who joined United for a fee of around £27m earlier this summer, went on to make a surprise appearance in their 0-0 draw with Inter Milan in Washington on Tuesday night with Reece James injured.

And after the game, Shaw admitted the Dutchman's comments about his lack of condition were accurate, especially with the club set to line-up in a new 3-5-2 formation this season.

He said: "It's something I totally agree with. Playing in this formation you really have to be fit. I am fit but not at his high demands. I know I have got to get fitter to get up and down.

"That's something I am going to work on, and tonight in 45 minutes I felt really good, so I am looking forward to keep on progressing until the start of the season.

"I didn't come into United thinking it's going to be much harder and that's something I made a mistake on. I thought it was just going to be the same but United is the biggest club in the world and there are world-class players in training so it's something that is going to push me on.

"That's something I need to keep me pushing on and this is only going to help me in the long run.

"Pre-season you are always going to try and get your fitness up so I am not too sure but today I played 45 minutes and I felt great. I could have played on. It's a progression from the last game I played so hopefully now the main focus is getting fitter and fitter and I'll be flying by the start of the season.

"I wasn't meant to play today because me and the staff decided it would be better to push me harder in training, but I didn't have any problems and I feel good."
http://www.football365.com/news/21554/9399698/-The-Boss-Is-Right...I-m-Not-Fit-Enough-

Godfather

Good game from Shaw. Bit bananas the way we're already so reliant on a 19 yo kid who just joined the club. The difference between him and playing Ashley Young on the wrong flank was huge.
I agree. THought he did really well.

I for one enjoyed our second half more as a whole than the first (albeit that beautful passage of play between Mata and ROoney). Much more pace in our passing and more chances created.

MDFC Manager

Good attitude. He'll do well with that under LvG.

I do think that we'll have to be patient with him and it will be a few years till we even start seeing the best of him.

Brightonian

Good game from Shaw. Bit bananas the way we're already so reliant on a 19 yo kid who just joined the club. The difference between him and playing Ashley Young on the wrong flank was huge.
To be fair we could have played James, who's done well so far, but he had a little knock or something.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
Nice to see being such an expensive buy so young hasn't gone to his head and he's ready to admit his downfalls (his fitness) recently. Luckily its something that can be worked on too. Personally i think he's already doing well, defensively his performance this morning was sound imo, and he looks very determined every time the ball comes near him, pretty sure once he's settled into a season he's going to fill the position nicely.

On his fitness: he's not the leanest on the team, but he's far from fat. He's 18 though ffs, his physique will change a lot over the next few years anyway, so nothing to worry about just yet as long as he can get through 90 minutes ok.

Litch

I'm not saying he's not a good player but the signing is becoming even more bizarre over the last week or so. First, never had this lad down as a wing back, more a really solid LB player in a traditional back four. I'm not saying he cant do it but surely you dont pay 27m for a player thats not suited for your system. I'm convinced this is not a LVG signing. This is a signing we were already committed to from last season. Also, the comments about his fitness, Players are fit or they are not. You dont become 'more fit' for playing a certain role?

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
I'm not saying he's not a good player but the signing is becoming even more bizarre over the last week or so. First, never had this lad down as a wing back, more a really solid LB player in a traditional back four. I'm not saying he cant do it but surely you dont pay 27m for a player thats not suited for your system. I'm convinced this is not a LVG signing. This is a signing we were already committed to from last season. Also, the comments about his fitness, Players are fit or they are not. You dont become 'more fit' for playing a certain role?
1) We wanted him since January

2) We're playing this system maybe just for 1 season....in the next 10 years he can play left-back

3) All should calm down ffs....he has played just 3 feckin friendlies

4) Fit or not fit....Van Gaal and his team will make him fit!!!!!

RedStarUnited

What player do you have down as a wing back i wonder, someone like Coentrao?

LVG has already said that Shaw and Herrera were signing already on the list, and that he also liked. So he agreed to them being bought. Also you can be fit and unfit for different formations, They way Alves used to play the right wing under pep was different class - i don't think every right back could have done that, as a wing back you are doing two peoples jobs.

Litch

What player do you have down as a wing back i wonder, someone like Coentrao?

LVG has already said that Shaw and Herrera were signing already on the list, and that he also liked. So he agreed to them being bought. Also you can be fit and unfit for different formations, They way Alves used to play the right wing under pep was different class - i don't think every right back could have done that, as a wing back you are doing two peoples jobs.
Not being funny but thats absolute rubbish. You're either fit or your not. Also we are not talking about a player who's returning from injury or an older player. The lads just returned from world cup duty where although he didn't play much, was training more so than others outside of pre-season. Look at the lads age and LVG specifically singled him out. Don't you find that strange?

Wing backs for me are players that started their careers as wingers and are converted to defenders like Ashley Cole and Evra and many more. Naturally better going forward. Then there's Gary Nev who's your traditional RB that overlaps the winger. Shaw is the later for me.

1) We wanted him since January

2) We're playing this system maybe just for 1 season....in the next 10 years he can play left-back

3) All should calm down ffs....he has played just 3 feckin friendlies

4) Fit or not fit....Van Gaal and his team will make him fit!!!!!
1) thats my point, we wanted him under the old regime. I'm convinced we already bought him before LVG got here so was Hobsons choice.

2) So, where did you get this only one season from?

3) Lets just shut down the forum then till the start of the season if we cant make observations?

4) Make him fit? see above

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Not being funny but thats absolute rubbish. You're either fit or your not. Also we are not talking about a player who's returning from injury or an older player. The lads just returned from world cup duty where although he didn't play much, was training more so than others outside of pre-season. Look at the lads age and LVG specifically singled him out. Don't you find that strange?

Wing backs for me are players that started their careers as wingers and are converted to defenders like Ashley Cole and Evra and many more. Naturally better going forward. Then there's Gary Nev who's your traditional RB that overlaps the winger. Shaw is the later for me.

1) thats my point, we wanted him under the old regime. I'm convinced we already bought him before LVG got here so was Hobsons choice.

2) So, where did you get this only one season from?

3) Lets just shut down the forum then till the start of the season if we cant make observations?

4) Make him fit? see above
Different roles have different fitness requirements in the same way they have different technical requirements, that's fairly obvious.

Litch

Different roles have different fitness requirements in the same way they have different technical requirements, that's fairly obvious.
Sorry thats rubbish. Footballers might be fit, but thats relative to the player, not their role or their technical ability. All players have different levels of fitness which is generic and has no relationship with how fit you make them. Giggs was naturally a fit lad, once he was fit, you couldn't make him any fitter?

Is ridiculous to suggest the fitness players in the club, are the ones who have to run the most....thats just not true. There have been instances where GK's have been the fitness players in clubs, and they rarely run on the pitch.

I can only suggest that Shaw's fitness levels are not where they should be with regard to his capacity to be fitter, which is nothing to do with the role of playing wing back. This is strange given his age and the fact he's trained all summer?

Last edited:

Brightonian

Sorry thats rubbish. Footballers might be fit, but thats relative to the player, not their role or their technical ability. All players have different levels of fitness which is generic and has no relationship with how fit you make them. Giggs was naturally a fit lad, once he was fit, you couldn't make him any fitter?

Is ridiculous to suggest the fitness players in the club, are the ones who have to run the most....thats just not true. There have been instances where GK's have been the fitness players in clubs, and they rarely run on the pitch.

I can only suggest that Shaw's fitness levels are not where they should be with regard to his capacity to be fitter, which is nothing to do with the role of playing wing back. This is strange given his age and the fact he's trained all summer?
Ah, we have a sports scientist. 'Giggs was naturally a fit lad, once he was fit, you couldn't make him any fitter.'

Sounds legit.

I think I'll go with what the manager and player have actually said, which is that he needs to be a bit fitter for the wing-back role.

Litch

Ah, we have a sports scientist. 'Giggs was naturally a fit lad, once he was fit, you couldn't make him any fitter.'

Sounds legit.

I think I'll go with what the manager and player have actually said, which is that he needs to be a bit fitter for the wing-back role.
Excuse me, thought it was a football forum and not B.A.S.E. Managers and players say a lot of things and the last time I logged onto this forum, there was a thousand posts questioning and offering opinions exactly on what managers and players say and do. Thought that was the purpose of public forums. I might be wrong?

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I thought forums were for discussion more than anything else. Telling anyone that doesn't agree with you that they're talking rubbish doesn't tend to be particularly conducive to a good discussion.

RedStarUnited

First of all id say Cole was better defensively than he was going forward. LVG said Shaw wasnt fit enough yet and that he cant do what he wants him to do at the highest level. He has designed a program to get him fitter, why cant you accept that? Its not as black and white as you put it - "You are either fit or not". Shaw just came out and said in a interview that he mistakenly underestimated how much harder the training would be at United (its on youtube), if the player himself can say that, what makes you say different?

Brightonian

Excuse me, thought it was a football forum and not B.A.S.E. Managers and players say a lot of things and the last time I logged onto this forum, there was a thousand posts questioning and offering opinions exactly on what managers and players say and do. Thought that was the purpose of public forums. I might be wrong?
It is. My opinion is that your suggestion that a player is either fit or not fit is rubbish. Anyone who's done any kind of sport of any sort knows there are levels of fitness. And the words of the player and the manager suggest that Shaw is not unfit, he's just not fit enough for the wingback role.

Litch

It is. My opinion is that your suggestion that a player is either fit or not fit is rubbish. Anyone who's done any kind of sport of any sort knows there are levels of fitness. And the words of the player and the manager suggest that Shaw is not unfit, he's just not fit enough for the wingback role.
How ridiculous. How do you qualify 'fit enough'? Its the same principle as being injured. You either are or your not. Its like saying "he's only fit enough to play one half" therefore he's not fit....Its funny cause anyone who does know about sports science recognises the 'smoke n' mirrors' of LVG's simplistic statement.

I suspect that Shaw might be carrying a little to much 'body fat' than LVG would like. The lad like Rooney have the body shape where they have to be aware of their BMI for being a professional footballer.

Status
Not open for further replies.