Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Litch

First of all id say Cole was better defensively than he was going forward. LVG said Shaw wasnt fit enough yet and that he cant do what he wants him to do at the highest level. He has designed a program to get him fitter, why cant you accept that? Its not as black and white as you put it - "You are either fit or not". Shaw just came out and said in a interview that he mistakenly underestimated how much harder the training would be at United (its on youtube), if the player himself can say that, what makes you say different?
Because I dont take everything that comes out of the football club as being the law. The reason for this is there a so many examples where we've been told things that have come out later to be a lie. Its no big deal, no one has the monopoly for knowledge and its my opinion. As is thousands of views on here for why players remain at the club, why we paid that for this player and many more debates?

I not suggesting that LVG or Shaw didn't say it, just my experience players are fit or they are not. If they are improving their fitness levels thats moving towards being fit. Its someones carry an injury, are they injured or not? Its not suggesting that they cant play? Its not suggesting that they cant play for 90 mins either.

I find it amazing that we'd pay 27m for someone who's fitness levels would have been tested, to then now suggest that he's not fit enough for us. I've been around football and sports a long time, and I cant recall at this level where a manager at a press conference signals out a signing to suggest he's 'not fit enough' for what he wants him to do. I certainly seen 'he's not fit' but 'fit enough'......He's not even suggesting he'll get fit within the existing fitness regime of the players but requires a specific programme?

Sorry thats a LVG 'shot across the bow' at someone.

Just my opinion......

Last edited:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I though he done well in that second half when he came on. He's had such a big move coming here and is playing in a new role.. so much to learn yet, getting unfair stick from all quarters at the moment, feel for him.

He'll come good.

Brightonian

How ridiculous. How do you qualify 'fit enough'? Its the same principle as being injured. You either are or your not. Its like saying "he's only fit enough to play one half" therefore he's not fit....Its funny cause anyone who does know about sports science recognises the 'smoke n' mirrors' of LVG's simplistic statement.

I suspect that Shaw might be carrying a little to much 'body fat' than LVG would like. The lad like Rooney have the body shape where they have to be aware of their BMI for being a professional footballer.
Have you seen Shaw's six-pack? You don't get one like that by having too much body fat. Rooney's certainly never had one!

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the fitness thing. For me, fitness is a scale. You can be very near the top of it, very fit, which I suspect Shaw is, and still as an elite athlete need to fine-tune yourself to your very peak levels in order to be putting in the best performances you are capable of.

Brightonian

I though he done well in that second half when he came on. He's had such a big move coming here and is playing in a new role.. so much to learn yet, getting unfair stick from all quarters at the moment, feel for him.

He'll come good.
Yeah he was impressive in the second half against Inter. Probably the best half that any of our potential wingbacks have played so far.

Litch

Have you seen Shaw's six-pack? You don't get one like that by having too much body fat. Rooney's certainly never had one!

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the fitness thing. For me, fitness is a scale. You can be very near the top of it, very fit, which I suspect Shaw is, and still as an elite athlete need to fine-tune yourself to your very peak levels in order to be putting in the best performances you are capable of.
I guess so. Maybe its semantics and I'm not suggesting not fit = unfit. Yep seen the six pack but might just me but he looks 'heavy'. Rooneys never fat but if you look at him at the moment he looks good.

Man Utd 3:1 Real Madrid

Sam

Thought he looked a lot better today.

He's a funny one though, most young full backs thesedays are very good going forward, but suspect defensively, yet Shaw is the complete opposite. He's very good defensively (fast, strong in the tackle, has good awareness and positioning, makes plenty of interceptions), but its going forward that he needs to work on things. Impressed me a lot today though.

FromTheBench

He is suited to when we are playing on the counter in this system. Then he can completely own that side with excellent interceptions and break quickly with composure.

Don't get why he stops sometimes when onto the last defender though. Needs to do a Bale and knock the ball past and just beat him for Pace/Strength few times.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He can be very useful in 3-5-2, but he needs to be more brave.
He can cross a ball in a few different ways while galloping, something I haven't seen among our players for a while.

Devil may care

No issues with his performance for me, he defended well and used the ball well when he got in good positions rather than just blasting it across or smashing it off the fullback.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Did well today, sometimes looks a bit lost when he has a defender in front of him (when attacking), big improvement from the previous games I have seen him in.

Juan't Mata

Still think he'd be an absolute beast at LCB but was very good at wingback too today. Either way he's unreal already for his age.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Very promising performance. I think he'll slot right into our first team no problems, looks a real Manchester United sort of player.

El-Manos

On a few occasions he put in an excellent cross and picked the right man. Defensively very solid, considering it was against Madrid that is impressive.

dutchred

On a few occasions he put in an excellent cross and picked the right man. Defensively very solid, considering it was against Madrid that is impressive.
I think he could become a good left sided central defender and may be we should be looking for a good left footed wing back with James as cover, or maybe stay as he he is and then Vermalen looks like an intelligent buy if he can stay fit. In either scenario Shaw and Blacket and James seem to have the left side of the defense covered, we just need that expereinced defender as they are all so young

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He has the odd concentration issue but he does read the game very well for a young fullback. You can see his attacking game will improve as he becomes more comfortable and confident because he's definitely got the technique, composure and pace to carry a decent attacking threat.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
I think he will completely lockdown the left hand side by himself in a few years.

saivet

Missed the game unfortunately but good to hear that the lad has done well

mungy

I am a terrible poster, please ignore me
Shouldn't worry too much at this early stage, he's learning with a new coach at a new team.

For me it's similar to the Rio signing, big big money but money well spent cause it's guaranteed (injury withstanding)15 years of top class service...for me he's that good.

EDIT - not sure if he has played 3 at the back before now in such a short career...another reason to give some slack.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Shaw looked better in this match than he did before. He still has a few issues going forward, but he's definitely improving and looking better going forward than before. He still seems to have some trouble in 1-on-1 situations, but other than that, he's more daring with his game and is adding more variety to it as well. Defensively, he's very good and is adapting himself better in the wing back role. I just hope he gets more match time so that he can get himself fully adjusted to the role and settled into the first team.

Lane

An okay game, but could have offered more in attack. He had space and opportunities.

RuudTom83

Shaw has looked a lot more...shall we say 'awake' since LVG critisied his fitness.

I'd still like to see him played as the left sided CB a few times.

surf

He looks like one of the best left-footed defenders around and will be a huge asset once he settles into the team.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Like I've said before, I don't think ever seen an 18 year old defender with his maturity and composure. Definitely not at fullback. So, I don't see someone with his sort of decision making and composure, struggling to make the switch to wing back. Given a bit of time, he'll be quality there I reckon.

Aussie_Red_Devil

The fat prick looked fast against Madrid. Imagine how quick he will be if he stops eating, losses the beer belly and actually trains. It's scary really! Haha

Smores

Doesn't look a natural wingback right now but he sure looks like he has all the components. Provided us with actual width as opposed to you who stopped and made the pass inside.

Godfather

Any other performances of tonight's players you want to play down?
I have no idea how this guy got promoted (not you, Lane). Couldnt stop telling us how this was all just a pre season game and all that. Maybe a Moyes fanboy? No idea why he is actually here when there is nothing to do but moan for him.

slir32

Looked dangerous today and i'm looking forward to him giving opposing defenders nightmares.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He looked rapid when he was running. He's quicker than I thought.
He definitely doesn't use his full pace 90% of the time.

A lot of the game he just jogs about looking quite casual, then he suddenly bursts into life and flys forward. With that pace defending too it makes him really hard to beat.

Aussie_Red_Devil

An okay game, but could have offered more in attack. He had space and opportunities.
I know and how bad was De Gea I mean I once saved a penalty so why couldn't De Gea stop that one. Needs a loan at a lower prem team IMO. ;)

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I still think he'll be pushed into the LCB role eventually. Had a difficult opening 20mins (like the entire 2nd half team) but once everyone settled down he started to look a threat moving forwards.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Pleased with him. Unfortunately he won't be bale mk2 :) as bale always had a great shot on him but we can see the progress he's making. Even though these are pre season games, playing big teams can only help him and give him more confidence going into the season. I don't think many people will consider the price much of an issue now. Providing he keeps fit and working hard, he'll do well for us.

Manucho the boss

Looked far more comfortable coming on against tired players, could be our new super sub? Wing back takes a lot of energy so can see our sub's being in those positions.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I have no idea how this guy got promoted (not you, Lane). Couldnt stop telling us how this was all just a pre season game and all that. Maybe a Moyes fanboy? No idea why he is actually here when there is nothing to do but moan for him.
Yeah just seen him and bruiser, another newly promoted one, in the "We.Are.Back" thread playing down the pre season as a whole, telling everyone not to get excited and treating the games like LA galaxy as the equivalent of Crewe, where in fact it seems everyone is more excited about how we are playing, which is evidently superior to any game of last season.

You go through about 6 or 7 of the player threads last night, and all he can say about a player is "he did okay, but X Y and Z wrong". On a day where we outshone Madrid in how we played rather than cower in defensive mode is something to praise, friendly or not. We would never, ever have seen this from Moyes at this stage of the season, heck we had lost 2 games in pre season at this stage already if memory serves me well!

Status
Not open for further replies.