Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's a tank. Great to have him back. Doesn't look like he's lost any pace, hope he can stay fit.

Walters_19_MuFc

Needs to get forward more, because when he has, he's looked great. Been real good defensively, though. Has Mahrez in his pocket.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Such pace and power going forward. Got caught under the ball once but in general had a very good battle against Mahrez in which he came out triumphant most of the time.

We need an rvn

So good to see him back, looks like the injury hasn't affected him in the slightest.
Not sure. He did look like he pulled out once or twice where in the past he'd have gone in. Although there's absolutely nothing wrong with that as my biggest gripe about Jones is that he hasn't learnt his lesson after 5 years.

Done amazing physically and mentally to get over it so all I can say is :drool::eek::devil:

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We really missed him. Great to see him power up the flank! DDG Shaw Bailly Pogba Martial Zlatan feck me that left side looks good!

Devil may care

Love him, for some reason he reminds me of Becks.

I am amazed at how he's hit the ground running, his desire and commitment to his rehab and work prior to pre-season is a great example. He handled Mahrez well all afternoon and only made one error on a cross. At the other end his overlaps were good and I love how he picks someone out rather than just blindly hammering the cross in.

Acole9

Outstanding
I'm glad he's back to full fitness and is not feeling the effects of his injury. His runs down the left side are going to be a huge asset to us.

Bwuk

There was a point in the game where he misjudged a ball and Mahrez really should of scored, then he made another mistake within the next 5-10 mins.

Apart from that he was very good. Would like to have seen more from him going forward but don't think it helped Martial being so poor.

Sigma

He was solid today. Good to see him back playing matches.

Also, as an aside, if that was Valencia who made the mistake that allowed Musa to have a clear shot at goal, he would have been crucified for it. People would be pointing to that and saying he is not a right back...

That's not a dig at Shaw, he's a human (not a robot), player whose just come back from a serious injury and its obvisouly pre-season. It's a dig at the people who slag off Valencia when he does something bad but fail to recognise others when they do something equally as bad.

CG1010

I couldn't see the match yesterday, so wanted to ask, how did Shaw look? Was he playing like his pre-injury self or slightly inhibited? And how was in attack?

Until now Valencia has been very instrumental in contributing to attacks, and it would be great if Shaw can match or better that (as we know he is capable of).

AgentP

I couldn't see the match yesterday, so wanted to ask, how did Shaw look? Was he playing like his pre-injury self or slightly inhibited? And how was in attack?

Until now Valencia has been very instrumental in contributing to attacks, and it would be great if Shaw can match or better that (as we know he is capable of).
He looks like he has completely recovered from the injury. Made some good runs and didn't show any signs of inhibition at all. He definitely has not lost any of his pace :drool:

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
It's like he never broke his leg, testament to his mentality, hard work and bravery. The guy is a champion.

Trizy

Looks close to 100% , First name on the team sheet along with Dave.

m1y2

made tow big mistakes but that happens, apart that he was again really good. Valencia on the other hand was also good, he's picking assists for fun, I think we might have two solid fullbacks this year with a solid CB pairing, whether it's steadily improving Blind or great talent Bailly or the mainstay Smalling

SirAF

Ageist
He's such a star, already the best LB in the PL. Good looking lad too, we're gong to market the feck out of him :devil:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He's been better than I dared hope. Mind you, I've seen long term injured players in the past have a great first few games, fuelled by adrenaline, then have a bit of a slump when they pick up some of the inevitable niggles and confidence drops. Here's hoping Luke bucks the trend.

DeOddi

Looked promising so far in pre-season. Especially the defensive part of his game looks as good as always. I just hope Mourinho makes him get forward more frequently. There were quite a few times when our players were looking for a pass to the left side and he was sitting way too deep. But i´m sure he´ll get there.

Only question mark about him for me is his passing and delivery. If he can impove in that aspect he´ll be one of the very best full-backs around.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Give him another 10 or so games and he will be a monster again. There is no mental difference either, he seems as energetic and positive as ever

Rossa

I don't agree with him not having lost pace - he actually looks to have added some. Sure, he was fast last year as well, especially that one run down the right (!) flank was impressive, but now I can actually see why he's rumoured to have been faster than both Bale and Walcott at Southampton. His runs are so powerful it's amazing. On top of that he is amazingly strong and brushed Mahrez off the ball as if he wasn't even there. He doesn't quite have the dribbling and agility of Evra, but he's damn good!

I wonder if he is a better fit with Depay than Martial though? Martial doesn't use the overlapping fullback it seems, no wonder having had to play with Rojo, but there were a couple of times where Martial could easily have used Shaw to get a cross in and instead dribbled down the line. Martial will improve, so I'm sure they'll develop a good understanding.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I love his deep overlaps, he times them perfectly, he's at full pace by the time he passes the winger it's so hard to counter them. I really do beleive he is the best left back in the world, he'll prove it this season.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I don't agree with him not having lost pace - he actually looks to have added some. Sure, he was fast last year as well, especially that one run down the right (!) flank was impressive, but now I can actually see why he's rumoured to have been faster than both Bale and Walcott at Southampton. His runs are so powerful it's amazing. On top of that he is amazingly strong and brushed Mahrez off the ball as if he wasn't even there. He doesn't quite have the dribbling and agility of Evra, but he's damn good!

I wonder if he is a better fit with Depay than Martial though? Martial doesn't use the overlapping fullback it seems, no wonder having had to play with Rojo, but there were a couple of times where Martial could easily have used Shaw to get a cross in and instead dribbled down the line. Martial will improve, so I'm sure they'll develop a good understanding.
Yeah, Martial seems to prefer going outside and crossing, rather than cutting inside and shooting/linking up. No doubt he will improve that side of the game though.

A few times Shaw and him went to make the same runs, but it'll come with games no doubt.

Kaos

Just a shame we don't have another flying fullback on the other end. Valencia is a safe option but he doesn't offer the same offensive output these days as Shaw.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Just a shame we don't have another flying fullback on the other end. Valencia is a safe option but he doesn't offer the same offensive output these days as Shaw.
Not sure if serious.

Kaos

Not sure if serious.
Very serious.

I have a lot of time for Valencia, but his shin fetish and tendency to abruptly stop and pass it back does my nut in sometime. He is capable of the odd great assist as per yesterday but I'm talking about his general game.

gza the genius

Completely shut down Mahrez and we really missed his pace last season. It's great to have him back and looking like he hasn't missed a beat since the injury. He definitely doing better than I expected so far.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Very serious.

I have a lot of time for Valencia, but his shin fetish and tendency to abruptly stop and pass it back does my nut in sometime. He is capable of the odd great assist as per yesterday but I'm talking about his general game.
Completely disagree. Not saying you are but some people can be guilty of judging Valencia by winger standards. For a full back his attacking play is very good even taking into account the shitty crosses he's often prone to. He's also quite intelligent with his link up play and passing. Evra, for the most part was abysmal with his crossing, but he's generally considered great going forward. I'd say Valencia is better going forward than Shaw is right now.

Kaos

Completely disagree. Not saying you are but some people can be guilty of judging Valencia by winger standards. For a full back his attacking play is very good even taking into account the shitty crosses he's often prone to. He's also quite intelligent with his link up play and passing. Evra, for the most part was abysmal with his crossing, but he's generally considered great going forward. I'd say Valencia is better going forward than Shaw is right now.
Fair enough. FWIW I do think he's a solid option at RB and would be perfectly content with him being our starter for the duration of the season, but I don't share the view of him being a more effective offensive output. Take yesterday's game for example - we saw how Shaw always looked for the overlap run and was close to getting behind their fullbacks a couple of times. Valencia on the other hand I've noticed tends to pick up the ball, and dither around the byline, occasionally getting in the decent cross if not destroying the shins of the opposing fullback.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Fair enough. FWIW I do think he's a solid option at RB and would be perfectly content with him being our starter for the duration of the season, but I don't share the view of him being a more effective offensive output. Take yesterday's game for example - we saw how Shaw always looked for the overlap run and was close to getting behind their fullbacks a couple of times. Valencia on the other hand I've noticed tends to pick up the ball, and dither around the byline, occasionally getting in the decent cross if not destroying the shins of the opposing fullback.
I actually agree with all that. I have no idea why Valencia just doesn't run with the ball more often. He's certainly got the pace and talent to do it but for about 3 years now he's decided not to do it for reasons I cannot fathom. But the thing is, had it been a new RB we had brought in the summer and he had put in the performance Valencia did I doubt we'd be complaining about his attacking input. Valencia, the winger, lives on in people's minds imo.

Rossa

Eh? Baffling, as Valencia is more than enough a "flying" wingback. Probably one of the few who are at least as fast as Shaw with even a greater engine. If you haven't noticed, he hasn't done much shin bashing lately either.

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Going to be the best left back in the league, mark my words. He's got everything, money well spent!

Fecking love that Mourinho decided to go with proper fullbacks instead of that nonsense at Chelsea.

DeOddi

Not sure why people rate Shaw so highly going forward. He is easily better defensively than Valencia but going forward he rarely shows good deliverly. He´s dangerous with his direct running, which Valencia should do more often, but when it comes to passing and crossing Valencia is a lot more likely to create chances than Shaw.

jb8521

Since coming back from injury towards the end of last season Valencia has 7 assists in his past 15 games if you include the friendlies. According to transfermarkt Shaw has 3 assists in his entire career. I'm a huge fan of Shaw's but his offensive output isn't better than Valencia's

Status
Not open for further replies.