Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Glad to have him back, hope he can get proper match fit and cement his place in the team.

Rossa

antoher think weird to criticise, Evra was never a great passer and Shaw had nice nice few passes into the channel today, Shaw looks more playmaking lefback than Evra who was always running up and down the flank, like typical converted winger he was
What? Evra was brilliant at linkin-up play all the way from his own corner flag to the opposition 18 yard box. Evra wasn't a great passer like Scholes, but he was very good at finding pockets and using them, and passing is as much about vision as it is about the speed and flight of the ball. At that, Evra was truly brilliant, and I actually think that was his best attribute. He was excellent at going both inside and outside.

In his best games, Shaw was also quite good at mixing it up, but he isn't as agile and isn't as technically gifted. He has great top speed though, so once he gets going he can do the old kick and run trick which left Ivanovic for dead, for instance.

Btw, I'm not slagging Shaw. I think he has great potential and can be a great player, but he isn't very similar to Evra - more similar to the way I remember Irwin (though I don't remember him that well)

m1y2

What? Evra was brilliant at linkin-up play all the way from his own corner flag to the opposition 18 yard box. Evra wasn't a great passer like Scholes, but he was very good at finding pockets and using them, and passing is as much about vision as it is about the speed and flight of the ball. At that, Evra was truly brilliant, and I actually think that was his best attribute. He was excellent at going both inside and outside.

In his best games, Shaw was also quite good at mixing it up, but he isn't as agile and isn't as technically gifted. He has great top speed though, so once he gets going he can do the old kick and run trick which left Ivanovic for dead, for instance.

Btw, I'm not slagging Shaw. I think he has great potential and can be a great player, but he isn't very similar to Evra - more similar to the way I remember Irwin (though I don't remember him that well)
I don't think we understood each other, I agree that Evra was great at link up play and quicks hort one twos, but his long passing and crossing was pretty average, his low driven crosses were pretty good though at times but it's a similar story to Valencia, Shaw has a better potential at that as he seems to play more with his head up with good speed on the ball. Also his first touch and composer looked excellent so far for such a young player, Evra never really looked that composed to meal, more like a brave player going with his head down to tackles, the same going forward, truly using his speed and ribbling but Shaw only came back from injury and in his best games showed a bit of everything..

Sure both players have been different, Shaw has 4 years of development and even more than that granting he was hot and cold in his first season here, I have no doubt Shaw can become world class here, if he gets his confidence back and backing of a manager, developed in a different way and dif skillset

Eddy_JukeZ

He needs to do more in attack. We all clamor for him overlapping on the left, but there was 1 instance where Rooney had to tell him to do the obvious(overlap on the left).

No complaints defensively. Has to be better when we're in possession.

Litch

Hope he finds the form before the injury. It's funny cause both Depay and Shaw where great at overlapping before it. Still a player in there but we need the equivalent of Tony on the left otherwise we are a little predictable

Sylar

I thought he was decent, but better in the second half. I actually would rather see him as LB for the Hull match and see how he does back to back (rather him than Darmian) especially as its a home game.

He needs to do more in attack. We all clamor for him overlapping on the left, but there was 1 instance where Rooney had to tell him to do the obvious(overlap on the left).

Yeah, think it was a confidence issue. He was solid overall but can be better, which is an obvious statement.

Scholesy

He needs to attack more and get to the byline or underlap into the box.
Too many times he was static.
Too many safe passes.

Certainly he will improve, just hope it's enough

Robbie Boy

He done well for a player coming back into the side after a relatively long lay off. He was rusty at times but that's to be expected.

Hojoon

He was meh but that's to be expected since it's his first 90 minutes in a while. Our margin of error to make top 4 is low so I can't see him getting much playing time this season bar an injury.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
He was average at best today but that's understandable given his long absence. The leg break has clearly damaged his confidence and being left out of the side for so long clearly isn't helping either.

Grunge

So far away I get up 4am to just watch Utd on TV

Give the lad a break! He had a really solid 90 minutes today having not played in months and I can assure you he was told to think defense first in no uncertain terms by "the man in charge".
Of course he was more reluctant to go bombing on, he knows all too well by now, that Jose wants him to prove he's a defender first! Luke wants desperately to regain his 1st team status and this was not a bad step. I hope he did enough to warrant another 1st team appearance sooner than later.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
I really hope Mourinho does what Van Gaal did and get a personal trainer for him and have clear belief in him, like when Van Gaal said "this is Shaw's real season". He's so so talented, just needs the confidence back.

By the way Mourinho said that one fall back was always sitting in defence and not getting up while the other was bombing forward which is always Valencia so I don't understand the critisicm of him not getting forward when it's the managers instruction.

xplatformjedi

Supports
Pittsburgh Steelers
Needs to get fitter and sharper but better than anything we got on the left...
x1000

If the guy is going to play. Play. He's the best LB on the team right now. Not sure the team couldn't get better next summer, but for now I'd give Luke all the minutes.

I think Blind and Darmian are better defensively. Problem with Blind being his pace.

SaboTaj

By far our best choice at left-back. Some of his pre-injury explosiveness is still missing though. Hopefully it's just a case of getting back on rhythm and more game time on the pitch will help resolve it.

Fracture90

Some of the criticism here is truly worrying. Lad's played his first minutes since November and he did alright. Sure he had a bad pass or two, was a bit out of position at times but even on his 50% he's far better than Blind and Darmian.

He will only get better and better the more he plays.

Does anyone else notice how he positions himself in the centre of the pitch in the opponents 3rd at times? I like it.
Noticed that too. He got away with it couple of times too as he was the one that cleared the ball but it might cost us against more organised teams.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
His lack of overlaping runs at important moments (when the player in front of him is crowded) is worrying. I don't believe it for one second that it could a Mourinho tactic as some said in other threads.

Grunge

I really hope Mourinho does what Van Gaal did and get a personal trainer for him and have clear belief in him, like when Van Gaal said "this is Shaw's real season". He's so so talented, just needs the confidence back.
Thought he looked quite physically fit today but I don't think he would've got a chance with Jose otherwise? Match-fitness is harder to acquire.

By the way, Mourinho said that one full back was always sitting in defence and not getting up while the other was bombing forward which is always Valencia so I don't understand the critisicm of him not getting forward when it's the managers instruction.
I would ignore most of those criticisms Quacky ... can I call you quacky? ;) I mean ideally of course you want both full backs being able to "bomb forward" but not both going at the same time (exceptions of course). Fingers crossed Shaw regains the form to forge a relationship with Martial & or Rashford with the one Antonio & Mkhi are building on the on the right.

It may also be, that Jose doesn't trust either of the two youngsters to defend well enough?

MorraGambit

His lack of overlaping runs at important moments (when the player in front of him is crowded) is worrying. I don't believe it for one second that it could a Mourinho tactic as some said in other threads.
Exactly. It can't be the instruction from Mourinho. Rooney would be interfering with the instruction then when he asked Shaw to overlap.

But it's his first game after quite some time and he did well considering that. Hopefully he will get more chances to get his confidence back.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Was ok yesterday, he obviously needs to do more. But its unfair to judge him before he gets a proper run of games.

I hope he plays against Hull midweek.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Looks so low on confidence, passed backwards a lot and didn't overlap. He second guessed every decision, atleast he got that game under his belt.
I have been moaning he should start for months but now I see why he is not. Just shows we are not privy to them day in day out like Jose.
So in Jose I trust!

RedPnutz

I wouldn't worry about the lack of overlapping runs. My feeling is that he was instructed to be more reserved.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
The result plays a huge part in how his contribution is viewed. If we'd have lost, he'd be getting a lot more criticism. He just didn't look that bothered at times. Not saying that many others didn't either, but there wasn't a great deal of "hey, I should be getting in the first team" from him.

Marcelinho87

He needs to attack more and get to the byline or underlap into the box.
Too many times he was static.
Too many safe passes.

Certainly he will improve, just hope it's enough
I think that is what Mourinho wants from his LB, his RB is the one who gets forward while the LB is instructed to stay back and form a back 3.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I think he needs a lot of training and games to get back to his old self. We might even have to wait until next season. I feel he needs a lot of time and do things at his own pace with the risk that Jose doesnt have the time to wait

RB7N

Solid return for Shaw. Did his defensive duties well and provided a passing option for our attacking players.

We have no way of knowing his intructions, as many people habe pointed out. I know that if I was coming back from injury, playing in front of 75000 people and was feeling a litte insecure about my fitness/abilities I would play it safe for first few games.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Really wanted him to make a statement yesterday but I don't think he did enough, apart from a couple of bursts forward in the first half (something we haven't seen down our left hand side all season). Fully expecting Darmian to come back in on Weds I'm afraid.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
I was very happy to see him back in the team, it's changing from Darmian on the left.

He still needs to be fitter and having more confidence but it was fine for him.

I hope he can stay fit and play against Hull this week

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Definitely confidence related, you can tell he's holding back right now. Not sure if he's worried about his stamina but he rarely runs full speed until absolutely needed.

He turned it on a few times in the first half and looked much better for it.

Robertd0803

Looks like he needs a few more games to build his confidence and sharpness which is to be expected. I thought he looked very shaky.

Trizy

It's so strange. He had the potential to be the best LB in the world, he even played world class in many games before. Now, he looks like a shell of the player he was.

Can only be put down to the leg break.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
It's so strange. He had the potential to be the best LB in the world, he even played world class in many games before. Now, he looks like a shell of the player he was.

Can only be put down to the leg break.
He needs to get a run of games and build his confidence.

If Shaw gets that back he will look far better.

Minimalist

The numbers/stats tell me he was solid enough defensively. They say nothing about his support work going forward which I found very lacking.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
Think people are pretty lenient on him here to be honest. Thought he was rubbish lol. On 3 or more occassions i found myself asking "where the feck is Shaw?" when they were attacking down our left hand side. Some of the positions he picks up defensively are horrific. Thought Rojo covered his arse well the times he did disappear.

Really hope its just a confidence issue with him.

Grunge

Exactly. It can't be the instruction from Mourinho. Rooney would be interfering with the instruction then when he asked Shaw to overlap.

But it's his first game after quite some time and he did well considering that. Hopefully he will get more chances to get his confidence back.
That's just it ... in the first half there was no left winger or even left sided player on a consistent basis in front of Shaw. Sometimes it was Mkhi & at other times it was Rooney and at still other times Martial left the middle and came left (and on one occasion when he did, was given a great pass from Shaw btw).
It was as if Mou gave them all (Mkhi, Rooney, Martial & Mata) free license to run all over the place. BFS & Fellaini played really narrow so I think it was hard for Shaw to know exactly what to do. He was pretty much camped out at or just in the Wigan half the whole time so he was well forward and did actually make two very good deep runs, one of which led to Mata's volley from a cross that Mkhi should've done better with before it got to Mata.

You are correct however, that one time Rooney came out wide, it did seem obvious that Shaw should've overlapped ... lack of confidence? Lack of playing time? On orders to think caution first? I don't know, but Rooney did not exactly have a stellar first half, giving the ball away on more than a few occasions. Had Shaw gone & Rooney got stuffed again, it would've been tough for Shaw to get back, although I'm sure Rojo would have been there :drool:.

In the second half when Martial played more like a left winger the game was much easier for Shaw but unfortunately Martial does not defend well most of the time. Martial had better change that or he will continue to find it hard to be the first choice. It didn't hurt against a weak Wigan team but against a more ruthless attack it will cost us.

I know what you mean about Shaw's positioning though. Maybe it was because Shaw was playing so far up the field? Rojo played well left of centre for much of the game. When Shaw did defend, it was often very narrow in the first half especially but maybe because the midfield did not always get back either? For the most part it worked but won't get better unless they play together (Rojo/Shaw/Martial) more. Shaw deserves more playing time.

Status
Not open for further replies.