Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

dichinero

Reading in various threads how he looks fat and I just don't see it.
Because people don't know there is a difference between looks fat and is fat. I may not be the biggest fan of Jose's management method but if anyone thinks that a player will be allowed to get "fat" under joking then they need to think again. Heck, even Rooney was said to have lost a massive amount of weight a few months ago, Kempis looked trimmer. No one gets away under José. Shaw is not fat, he just has a big frame and it's more obvious because he is a FB. Had he been a CB or CM, people will hardly notice. The modern FB is diminutive. Remember Roberto Carlos? The job now is for the coaching staff to adapt his body type to the demands required of him.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Jesus, someone with this body shape really shouldn't be wearing skinny jeans.

Slim fit, Luke.

Womp

idiot
This season has been a write-off for him because of his injury. We've all felt sorry for him and all that jazz. Next season it's time for him to start pulling his socks up or we really need to strengthen that side of the field, we can't wait around for a player who may or may not turn into a top LB.

Sir Roi de Muppeterre

What do we do with him? Rightnow the options are:

1) We keep playing lights of Blind, Rojo, Young and Darmian (if the last two are even here next season) until he can prove himself in training and on pitch.

2) We splash some money to acquire some highly rated left back like Nampalys Mendy, in which case we might want to sell Shaw or retain him as a backup / competition.

3) We buy someone relatively cheap who can do the job better than Blind, Rojo, Young etc. without being world class and hope Shaw can eventually step up and make position his own. Leighton Baines can be a short-term solution, or someone like Jonas Hector who played for Germany vs England. Hector is a capable defensive midfielder too so he can remain useful squad member.

4) Buy a highly rated rightback and play him on left (granted we will need a RB who is comfortable on left foot) until Shaw steps up or Valencia decline. In other words, a better version of Darmian.
I dunno what is the best solution, but I wouldn't be too happy if we don't do anything about the leftback position this summer.

Reactions: Penna

Because people don't know there is a difference between looks fat and is fat. I may not be the biggest fan of Jose's management method but if anyone thinks that a player will be allowed to get "fat" under joking then they need to think again. Heck, even Rooney was said to have lost a massive amount of weight a few months ago, Kempis looked trimmer. No one gets away under José. Shaw is not fat, he just has a big frame and it's more obvious because he is a FB. Had he been a CB or CM, people will hardly notice. The modern FB is diminutive. Remember Roberto Carlos? The job now is for the coaching staff to adapt his body type to the demands required of him.
He's not fat, he's just got a pear body shape that makes him look like it, especially when he wears such awful clothes.

Jose's methods obviously aren't fully working on him though or he wouldn't be talked about as unfit. There's only so much that can be done on the training ground if he's preferring McDonald's to pasta and chicken when he gets home.

izec

People need to relax. It was a lost season from a sporting perspective, but i hope he took his time mentally and got to know life and expectations at United and under Mourinho better. I am sure with a proper pre season and without injuries, he can attack again next season. We need a good and constant left back again. It would be like a new transfer. Still young and i hope to see some progress.

Will Absolute

Those large glute muscles are the source of much of his pace, so let's hope he never loses the big arse. Although if he doesn't get significant game time between now and the end of the season, he'll probably leave in the summer anyway.

pilky02

Supports
I could eat a nob at night
What do we do with him? Rightnow the options are:

1) We keep playing lights of Blind, Rojo, Young and Darmian (if the last two are even here next season) until he can prove himself in training and on pitch.

2) We splash some money to acquire some highly rated left back like Nampalys Mendy, in which case we might want to sell Shaw or retain him as a backup / competition.

3) We buy someone relatively cheap who can do the job better than Blind, Rojo, Young etc. without being world class and hope Shaw can eventually step up and make position his own. Leighton Baines can be a short-term solution, or someone like Jonas Hector who played for Germany vs England. Hector is a capable defensive midfielder too so he can remain useful squad member.

4) Buy a highly rated rightback and play him on left (granted we will need a RB who is comfortable on left foot) until Shaw steps up or Valencia decline. In other words, a better version of Darmian.
I dunno what is the best solution, but I wouldn't be too happy if we don't do anything about the leftback position this summer.
Option 2 or 3 if Mourinho still has faith in him. It's our weakest position on the pitch and Shaw could do with some stiff competition to get his had in the right place.

On another note, Shaw carries weight easily in his face so it is a good measuring stick as to how fat he is. His face was looking pretty bloated last night. Wasn't there rumours in his Southampton days that his diet was a huge problem and he had some sort of assistant to help him stay in check? Pretty sure Van Gaal slated him for struggling to stay in shape too.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I think instead of hiding him away or whatever Mourinho is doing with him, Shaw should be getting games with the U23s to get his match sharpness up. I'm puzzled as to why this doesn't seem to be an option.

red4ever 79

I think instead of hiding him away or whatever Mourinho is doing with him, Shaw should be getting games with the U23s to get his match sharpness up. I'm puzzled as to why this doesn't seem to be an option.
Pretty much this. Am I right in thinking that Tuanzebe, Forsu Mensa also havent featured for the U23, that Jose imposes a rule that players who are with the first team squad cant play for the U23's?
Totally bizarre if true. Complete waste of a season for Forsu Mensah

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Pretty much this. Am I right in thinking that Tuanzebe, Forsu Mensa also havent featured for the U23, that Jose imposes a rule that players who are with the first team squad cant play for the U23's?
To be honest I don't know if Jose has that policy. I hope not! I actually thought Tuanzebe was playing with the U23s?
Re: Fosu Mensah - he should definitely be playing some games with them. Or Jose should have sent him out on loan. A complete waste of a season for Fosu.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Yep. Only exception was one game Bailly played after coming back from AFCON. Tuanzebe isn't actually with the first team squad though.

Devil81

Reading in various threads how he looks fat and I just don't see it.
He's not fat, but he's also not lean enough to be a footballer.

You can be in fantastic shape but carry a percentage of body fat, he's certainly not in the correct condition to be playing top level football. I'm 90% certain Mourinho will sell him because of this, once he does I'm sure he will be honest with his opinion.

At the moment I think he's keeping silent so that it doesn't stop other clubs showing an interest.

Fracture90

This season has been a write-off for him because of his injury. We've all felt sorry for him and all that jazz. Next season it's time for him to start pulling his socks up or we really need to strengthen that side of the field, we can't wait around for a player who may or may not turn into a top LB.
Sensible post.

I'd also go for Kolašinac from Schalke or Rodriguez from Wolfsburg whom are both free agents and very good RB's, just in case.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
He's not fat, but he's also not lean enough to be a footballer.

You can be in fantastic shape but carry a percentage of body fat, he's certainly not in the correct condition to be playing top level football. I'm 90% certain Mourinho will sell him because of this, once he does I'm sure he will be honest with his opinion.

At the moment I think he's keeping silent so that it doesn't stop other clubs showing an interest.
I think that's quite an odd, and harsh, opinion. There are a lot of "stocky" footballers who are able to play top level football, and the fact is that Shaw is a top level footballer, who when fit, is quite an athlete as well.

I hope he overcomes his injuries, but like you, I wouldn't be surprised if Mourinho does end up selling him. There's also been a couple of stories/rumors about Shaw's fragile mentality etc.

Devil81

I think that's quite an odd, and harsh, opinion. There are a lot of "stocky" footballers who are able to play top level football, and the fact is that Shaw is a top level footballer, who when fit, is quite an athlete as well.

I hope he overcomes his injuries, but like you, I wouldn't be surprised if Mourinho does end up selling him. There's also been a couple of stories/rumors about Shaw's fragile mentality etc.
Who is playing for a top club with his body shape?

He's well out of shape, I've been saying it all season. It was only after Wednesday friendly that my Liverpool and City supporting workmates said they couldn't believe his condition either.

How can anyone say otherwise, he's not playing for United for a reason. Woefully out of shape and should be shipped out sharpish as this isn't the first time this issue has cropped up.

Last edited:

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Who is playing for a top club with his body shape?

He's well out of shape, I've been saying it all season. It was only after Wednesday friendly that my Liverpool and City supporting workmates said they couldn't believe his condition either.

How can anyone say otherwise, he's not playing for United for a reason. Woefully out of shape and should be shipped out sharpish as this isn't the first time this issue has cropped up.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
This whole "Shaw is fat" thing is absolutely ridiculous. Just like it was when it was said about Lampard too.

3KDré

I understand what you mean but that was quite a while ago now. Must be about a year ago. When he was in top shape he looked thinner and more defined than he is now. He needs to work to getting back into that shape.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
I understand what you mean but that was quite a while ago now. Must be about a year ago. When he was in top shape he looked thinner and more defined than he is now. He needs to work to getting back into that shape.
I find it hard to imagine that he looks like he does in the second picture when he's not doing any training, yet he becomes fat when he's training every day.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
The second picture was just before pre-season started. Can't imagine he gets fatter the more he trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.