Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylar

Good game, put in some good tackles and needs to play more especially against the lesser teams.
Would like to see him play a run of games for us.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Was the highlight of the day for me, not perfect but a hell of a lot better than what we've come to expect from our other LBs.

Devil81

I don't agree with a lot of the opinions on here, I thought he was pretty shocking in the second half. Yes I agree he was good in the first half but second half he couldn't find a man with a pass, he's strongest asset was supporting the winger but that seems to be missing from his game at the moment.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Think he was decent, specially when you consider how long he didnt play.....but the thing that annoyed me was his overlapping. Either you do them or dont, no point of casually jogging behind player 10 seconds after they doubled him up. Better to do 1 proper overlap during the half then 5 half arsed ones like today.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Good showing. If Rojo or Darmian continue to start over him I'll be worried. Less so with Blind who's actually good there.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Best thing today was him going full blooded into two 50/50s. First I've seen him do that since the injury, and there's no other solution for getting faith back in your body.

Did disappear a bit in the second half, but he hasn't played 90 mins for god knows how long.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Thought he played well. Didn't understand him coming off. Looked less shaky than Jones and Rojo.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Like the rest of the team, he was quiet in the second half. He had an excuse to be tired and out of sync.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Thought he played well. Didn't understand him coming off. Looked less shaky than Jones and Rojo.
Think it was just a case of Mourinho wanting to add to attack which is easier to do by replacing a full back. Something he's done before when we've needed a goal.

Rob67

Best thing today was him going full blooded into two 50/50s. First I've seen him do that since the injury, and there's no other solution for getting faith back in your body.

Did disappear a bit in the second half, but he hasn't played 90 mins for god knows how long.
Agree 100% with that.
As you said, great to see him go crunching in to tackles again. Very pleased with his performance to say he's been out for a while. Hope he gets a run of games now to improve his confidence and fitness.

Dyslexic Untied

Brave display for him. Had two or three 50-50s which reminded me of his injury situation, which he came well out of.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
Thought he was one of our better players today. Hope he gets a run of games in the league now.

M Bison

Supports
York City
I don't agree with a lot of the opinions on here, I thought he was pretty shocking in the second half. Yes I agree he was good in the first half but second half he couldn't find a man with a pass, he's strongest asset was supporting the winger but that seems to be missing from his game at the moment.
This I thought was really strange, he didn't get forward anywhere near as much as I was expecting, before his injury he was excellent going forward but today he sat off.

Could be a tactical move so not to leave us exposed defensively?

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
This I thought was really strange, he didn't get forward anywhere near as much as I was expecting, before his injury he was excellent going forward but today he sat off.

Think that's exactly what it is. Mourinho has alluded to it previously that he wants the left back to play conservatively given how attacking Valencia is on the other side

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

Yeah, Mourinho prefers the LB to sit back. He said in an interview a while back that Shaw needs to be more like Blind, Rojo and Darmian.

Still, there were a few occasions he went forward and made a few half chances.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Think that's exactly what it is. Mourinho has alluded to it previously that he wants the left back to play conservatively given how attacking Valencia is on the other side
Yeah, Mourinho prefers the LB to sit back. He said in an interview a while back that Shaw needs to be more like Blind, Rojo and Darmian.

Fair do's. It's a shame though as he was looking like a real attacking threat pre-injury.

Grunge

So far away I get up 4am to just watch Utd on TV
Glad he got some minutes today. Certainly not our worst perming player and I believe he and Martial have potential.
Like the rest of the team coudn't step it up when needed in the second half although had he stayed on it wouldn't have been worse than bring Fellaini on

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Brave display for him. Had two or three 50-50s which reminded me of his injury situation, which he came well out of.
Thats my main take out from todays performance. He didn't shy away from such challenges and took a hit without flinching. That will give him a lot of confidence.

We know he can play so his challenge is as much mental as it is form. Once he believes he can play again, the form and quality will come quickly.

Last edited:

Ekeke

I think Darmian gets forward a surprising amount considering hes at leftback. Of course it rarely makes a difference because Martial almost always ignores a fullback getting forward to support him

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He certainly looked like someone that had been told to man up. Hoping those strong tackles gave him a confidence boost

ti vu

Encouraging performance from him. Not sharp enough & a tough game for him to feature in given our team performance. He's one of the few positive from this team performance.

RedMaestro

Good performance. Hopefully he'll continue this way and will have the "courage" to do even more. Maybe if he can show Mourinho that he is really good, than the focus could be set on getting a world class CB?

Nero

Mourinho did admit that he believes Shaw is the one to watch for the future – despite his limited playing time this campaign.

“I think that, in a couple of years, one of them should become the best of all - because he has all the attributes to be the best – and that’s Luke Shaw,” he said.

“Because of his age, his physicality, his intensity, his aggressiveness and his ability going forward – he can be the best. But to be the best you need to work - you need to work hard and that’s what he’s trying to do.”

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
If he's dropped for the next game I think it's pretty clear Mourinho has something against him. He played well (after being held out for ages) and certainly offered more than our other alternatives in that position.
Not necessarily. It's quite likely that Mourinho will feel he's only fit enough to play one game a week at the moment (and he'd probably be right considering Shaw was looking quite tired before he got subbed). Give him the next few weeks of only playing once a week, then hopefully he'll establish himself properly as the #1 for the last few months of the season.

Likely a bit of both. In his first season he was mostly defensive and didn't attack all that much. It wasn't until his second season that he really started attacking more often with purpose, and then of course he suffered that terrible injury. As such it was always quite likely that as he was coming back he'd play similarly as he did in his first season, with most of the focus on the defensive side of his game.

Plus as others have said, Mourinho likes having only one of his fullbacks attacking a lot. When Valencia is playing it'll generally be him, but Shaw can hopefully find a good balance there.

pilky02

Supports
I could eat a nob at night
Looked fat yet again tonight. Maybe people will stop slating Mourinho for not playing him after continuously proving he cant do something as simple as staying in shape.

buckooo1978

Looked fat yet again tonight. Maybe people will stop slating Mourinho for not playing him after continuously proving he cant do something as simple as staying in shape.
its not that he looks fat to me....

its like the top half of his body is athletic and he looks like he has child bearing hips and chunky legs

bucky

Reading in various threads how he looks fat and I just don't see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.