Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You wouldn't have questioned Shaw's integrity three days ago either.
He's just a bit of a soft lad is all. But then not everyone can be a knuckleheaded play through anything type, as much as we'd like it as fans.

Dobbs

He's just a bit of a soft lad is all. But then not everyone can be a knuckleheaded play through anything type, as much as we'd like it as fans.
Tell you what, I'll give this soft lad thing some credence if you can show me a post of yours saying so from just a week ago.

We need an rvn

He, like Jones, have made me change their mind about them both as to whether I want them as United players or not. Both seem way too injury prone, which didn't put me off at first as I thought they'd get over an injury or two and then stay fit. But Shaw in particular seems to be suffering from a bit of I don't know what. It took guts and determination to get back from that leg break, no taking that off him, but there's definitely something wrong with his attitude this season that hasn't impressed me.

Kag

I haven't seen many on the forum behaving despicable towards the players.

The majority of these players have over the last few seasons done nothing of note, (we won the FA cup and that was great) so if Mourinho can get the house in order and us competing again I'm ok with that.
The suggestion that our players are faking injury and refusing to play is terrible.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
What happened to him? He didn't get tackled, he wasn't running. He was just standing there and then he was down. Was there a sniper in the crowd?
Maybe he got injured during warm-up and Mourinho forced him to play. Anyway, Carrick and Rooney's reaction to him kind of show the frustration is not only the manager's.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Maybe he got injured during warm-up and Mourinho forced him to play. Anyway, Carrick and Rooney's reaction to him kind of show the frustration is not only the manager's.
I missed that, what was it?

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
I missed that, what was it?
I haven't seen it again, but during the game Carrick (or Blind) were talking to Shaw while he sat on the grass holding his legs, and Rooney clearly nodded his head in disgust after talking to him (he could just be lamenting our luck, though).

AXVnee7

They are a very frustrating duo. But at least they have managed a run of games without injury in their time here. I'm not even sure Shaw has managed 10 games in a row or so has he?
Possibly not, however I give him the benefit of the doubt for now because last season he was doing OK until the injury, and this season has clearly been hampered by psychological issues and niggling injuries for him. It's not so much that he isn't playing enough and/or showing quality right now. It's more so- for me anyway- that Smalling and Jones have become a joke and their departures should be prioritised. Losing both to injury as is the situation right now obviously leaves us short for cover at CB, so directly contributes to our injury problems. However, they also indirectly have contributed as well seeing as Bailly has had to play more games with no viable chance of rotation (every game is important at this stage) and thus increased his chance of injury. There's reports that Bailly's injury is fatigue-mediated.

It would be too much to sell Jones, Smalling AND Shaw this summer. Heck, I think even selling Jones and Smalling in a single window is pushing it. Unfortunately we need bolstering in midfield and attack too so cannot concentrate our efforts on CBs, but perhaps Jose will buy a prospect or cheap CB to compensate. In any case, Shaw is younger, has a genuine reason as to why he might not have been fit and CB is our most dire need right now. So for me at least one of Jones and Smalling has to go first. We have decent cover at the full back position- which I have no doubt Jose will want to strengthen anyway.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Possibly not, however I give him the benefit of the doubt for now because last season he was doing OK until the injury, and this season has clearly been hampered by psychological issues and niggling injuries for him. It's not so much that he isn't playing enough and/or showing quality right now. It's more so- for me anyway- that Smalling and Jones have become a joke and their departures should be prioritised. Losing both to injury as is the situation right now obviously leaves us short for cover at CB, so directly contributes to our injury problems. However, they also indirectly have contributed as well seeing as Bailly has had to play more games with no viable chance of rotation (every game is important at this stage) and thus increased his chance of injury. There's reports that Bailly's injury is fatigue-mediated.

It would be too much to sell Jones, Smalling AND Shaw this summer. Heck, I think even selling Jones and Smalling in a single window is pushing it. Unfortunately we need bolstering in midfield and attack too so cannot concentrate our efforts on CBs, but perhaps Jose will buy a prospect or cheap CB to compensate. In any case, Shaw is younger, has a genuine reason as to why he might not have been fit and CB is our most dire need right now. So for me at least one of Jones and Smalling has to go first. We have decent cover at the full back position- which I have no doubt Jose will want to strengthen anyway.
There's no rush at all on Shaw. And it's arguably not as key a position. But centre back generally needs a partnership which means consistently being available.
Smalling and Jones probably shouldn't even be lumped into the same domain in terms of injury anyway, Jones has missed tonnes more games due to loads more reasons.
But Smalling seems to not be allowed to make as many mistakes, before people resort to labelling him crap again.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Carrick looks skeptic, but Rooney's reaction is quite clear: he thinks it's bullshit from Shaw.
Just as possible to think they're thinking "such cruel luck for the poor guy to be injured again"

I think Shaw's reaction is more interesting, he looks like an upset little kid trying to explain it away to the older boys

Dobbs

A fun thread though. Opinion has switched back and forth so much:

He's a hero for coming back from the leg break.....a few games in and it's decided he's psychologically damaged......then he's too fat...too immature...deserves to be frozen out......but then as the season closes he has one decent game which definitely proves Mourinho matured him as a person.....a corner has been turned.....three weeks later he's a wimp who's faking injury.

I wonder what's going to happen next.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Carrick barley changes expression and looks like he is pointing out it's his ankle. Rooney looks like he is pissed off that he is injured, but I don't see it being pissed off that he isn't up for it

AXVnee7

There's no rush at all on Shaw. And it's arguably not as key a position. But centre back generally needs a partnership which means consistently being available.
Smalling and Jones probably shouldn't even be lumped into the same domain in terms of injury anyway, Jones has missed tonnes more games due to loads more reasons.
But Smalling seems to not be allowed to make as many mistakes, before people resort to labelling him crap again.
Yes I personally prefer Smalling over Jones, but he's still a gamble as his record whilst not as bad as Jones, isn't good in itself. He showed also much more promising signs last season, and was winning the fans over. When you're injured for extended periods and it becomes a hallmark though, it leads to frustration which means performances are put under more scrutiny. Fans are more ready for criticism.

I think criticism of Shaw is slightly unfair at this point. People underestimate what effect such a horrendous injury can have psychologically. He's just a kid too. Ultimately regarding the original point, I think Shaw deserves another season here and Jose has more pressing issues to worry about. As you say, there's no rush.

He's a hero for coming back from the leg break.....a few games in and it's decided he's psychologically damaged......then he's too fat...too immature...deserves to be frozen out......but then as the season closes he has one decent game which definitely proves Mourinho matured him as a person.....a corner has been turned.....three weeks later he's a wimp who's faking injury.

At some point he'll be better than Maldini and Roberto Carlos combined and bionic legs will be in high demand.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yes I personally prefer Smalling over Jones, but he's still a gamble as his record whilst not as bad as Jones, isn't good in itself. He showed also much more promising signs last season, and was winning the fans over. When you're injured for extended periods and it becomes a hallmark though, it leads to frustration which means performances are put under more scrutiny. Fans are more ready for criticism.

I think criticism of Shaw is slightly unfair at this point. People underestimate what effect such a horrendous injury can have psychologically. He's just a kid too. Ultimately regarding the original point, I think Shaw deserves another season here and Jose has more pressing issues to worry about. As you say, there's no rush.
The crux with Smalling and Jones, is that they've now had 7 and 6 full seasons with us respectively, and still haven't properly established themselves as number 1 picks. That's fairly unusual.

Roboc7

Can't rely on him and can't go through another season without a lb, other options there are fine as backup but none are good enough. Be amazed if Jose doesn't sign a lb, can see Shaw going out on loan as offloading him won't be easy.

MoskvaRed

I don't really see an obvious way forward for him at United. After 4 years of turbulence, we badly need some stability at the club and, based on the last three seasons, Mourinho would be foolish to rely on Shaw as his left back. So, if we do bring in another left back, then that means another season of tangential involvement for Shaw as memories of his Southampton days fade further into the distance. I have no idea about his pain threshold (the Carrick and Rooney reactions on Sunday don't look great but could indicate frustration at United's recent luck with injuries) but, based on reports of his weight problems and homesickness (in the same country!) he doesn't really strike me as the man to fill the boots of Irwin and Evra. Rather a bit immature and soft and maybe better off in a small pond.

Shuriken

Spot on. Everyone viewing this thread should read your post.

Also pretty much the same for Mkhitaryan and Martial, only difference being in the details. Otherwise it's the same, take a suitable narrative and spin it further.

AlwaysRed66

The suggestion that our players are faking injury and refusing to play is terrible.
It would be funny if some of these players started prosecuting some of the these armchair warriors on social media for defamation of character. Far fetched, but people seem to act on any critical comments of them nowadays. Certainly the manager could be a great target, particularly due to his previous form.

Cloud7

They should both be gone in my opinion. Neither is any better than the other. They've both been around for over 5 years now and have yet to establish themselves as proper reliable first choice defenders. Be it through injury, performances not being up to scratch, it doesn't matter. That's far too long to be waiting for players to get their act together in one of the most crucial positions on the field.

Kostur

海尔的老板
It would be funny if some of these players started prosecuting some of the these armchair warriors on social media for defamation of character. Far fetched, but people seem to act on any critical comments of them nowadays. Certainly the manager could be a great target, particularly due to his previous form.
That would only mean that they're even softer than somebody suggested.

VanGaalEra

Badly bruised foot according to that article.

Does a badly bruised foot mean you miss 3 weeks? Would have thought bruising would come down in a week or so.

djdhrubs

Badly bruised foot according to that article.

Does a badly bruised foot mean you miss 3 weeks? Would have thought bruising would come down in a week or so.
Very non-specific description. If it just means a bit of bleeding under the skin from a simple impact injury, it can come down in days and not be a problem. If it means there's an underlying more significant soft tissue injury such as a small muscle tear or tendon injury, then he ought to sit it out longer. Suspect we won't really know and end up guessing whether he really is a wimp or genuinely injured enough not to play.

This is frustrating because if I remember correctly, Bale had a similar bad couple of seasons at Spurs with repeated injuries and outright bad form before suddenly coming good, at ? a later age than Shaw is now. I'd hate for him to leave United this summer and then watch him suddenly explode onto the scene at some other club.

We've stuck with the likes of Smalling and Jones for much longer. I really think we ought to keep hold of him for at least one more season.

Crono

A complete chancer. Aside from being the softest cnut United have ever had, he's just not that good. Good thing Jose has as much disdain for him as (some of) the fans.

Womp

idiot
Very non-specific description. If it just means a bit of bleeding under the skin from a simple impact injury, it can come down in days and not be a problem. If it means there's an underlying more significant soft tissue injury such as a small muscle tear or tendon injury, then he ought to sit it out longer. Suspect we won't really know and end up guessing whether he really is a wimp or genuinely injured enough not to play.

This is frustrating because if I remember correctly, Bale had a similar bad couple of seasons at Spurs with repeated injuries and outright bad form before suddenly coming good, at ? a later age than Shaw is now. I'd hate for him to leave United this summer and then watch him suddenly explode onto the scene at some other club.

We've stuck with the likes of Smalling and Jones for much longer. I really think we ought to keep hold of him for at least one more season.
Shaw will never be anywhere close to Bale's level, that I can guarantee, so don't worry.

Womp

idiot
On a different note, how the feck can a bruise put a player out for the rest of the season?

Jaybomb

A complete chancer. Aside from being the softest cnut United have ever had, he's just not that good. Good thing Jose has as much disdain for him as (some of) the fans.
Agree with this. He seems like a bit of a bellend in real life aswell.

PepsiCola

Indeed, this thread has been a circus.

manunited1919

Patrice Evra never ceased to amaze me, how he would go into crunching tackles all the time, yet he was almost never injured. We need more defenders like our ex-captain instead of some of the snowflakes we have now.

Status
Not open for further replies.