Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Russell_eire

He looked tired today, the last two games must have taken it out of a lot of the players. He was caught drifting into the middle a few too many times, luckily he wasn't punished for it.

izec

It is normal that he hasnt go the consistency, he hasnt played regularly for ages. He will be fine, ups and downs are normal and we need to keep playing him often and keep the rhythm and intensity up. The injuries and sitting on the bench/stands for such a long time set him back big time, so he is still slowly getting used to being a starter every game.

Andersonson

I take decent at moment. Only player better than him this season imo has been pogba
I don't agree, Smalling has been good and tbf so has Young. If Shaw has a game like Young he gets motm, while Young is rubbish. The game vs Chelsea for example. Young was by many newspapers and sky the motm. On here luke was and Young got stick. Still, not a bad lb, just not a very good one.

Against Everton he was at fault for many of the Everton chances. Gave away possesion far to easy

Decomposing In Paris

His job is to be a solid, consistent, 7/10 fullback, and he was that today. I don't know what people are complaining about. I love the player he's become, I love how he conducts himself in interviews, and I love that he's showing so much character on the pitch. He deserves a lot of credit for the turnaround in his career, because for all the promise he showed at Southampton, and in those 5-odd games under Louis Van Gaal, he looked for a long time like he would never recover. Now I wouldn't be massively surprised if he was a future captain.

It's interesting. Some people on here love Roy Keane for the way he demanded excellence of himself, and everyone around him, and drove the team forward. Others call him names severely lacking in creativity. I think Keane would have appreciated the current Shaw, and for Shaw's sake, I'm glad Keane wasn't around for the previous couple of years. I know I might get hammered on here, but I really think Mourinho deserves some credit, not all by any means, but some for the way Luke's career has turned around.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Most fullbacks will have games where they look exposed. I'd like to see him getting some assists now. One more level up please Luke!

Last edited:

meamth

He looked tired today, the last two games must have taken it out of a lot of the players. He was caught drifting into the middle a few too many times, luckily he wasn't punished for it.
Most of the times or I guess 99% of the times when he is caught "drifting" in the middle is when Smalling joins the attack. Martial was expected to cover on the left back position. Basic.

That's why Mourinho got up from his seat and scolded Martial for his lapse of concentration.

Shaw did some passing mistakes last night, which is normal for any players to commit.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He doesn't play like a 150k/wk player, but just solid, like a left sided Valencia.

meamth

He doesn't play like a 150k/wk player, but just solid, like a left sided Valencia.
Oh come on now. Marcelo only had crazy amount of assists because he had a freak Ronaldo ahead of him. Give him some more time because we are lucky enough to see his comeback.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
His eagerness and determination to win the ball high up in our own half is admirable. He is very quick off the mark and it really unsettles wingers playing against to know that he will be right there on your back even if you’re receiving a pass on the half way line.

I still would like to see him improve his assertiveness in snuffing out crossing chances and develop a better relationship with martial. I can see that relationship exponentially improving with each game and it’s encouraging

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Oh come on now. Marcelo only had crazy amount of assists because he had a freak Ronaldo ahead of him. Give him some more time because we are lucky enough to see his comeback.
You get paid top dollars/pounds/euros, you're expected to play like top player. That's just how professional world work.

And saying Marcelo was only good/top player because of Ronaldo is laughable, mate.

meamth

You get paid top dollars/pounds/euros, you're expected to play like top player. That's just how professional world work.

And saying Marcelo was only good/top player because of Ronaldo is laughable, mate.
150k per week might be the new 100k per week in this age of football, mate.

Yeah, you expecting a top left back to have serious attacking output which is unfair at the first place. He is a solid left back playing for United, if he keep this up, he pretty much deserved it.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

Yeah, you expecting a top left back to have serious attacking output which is unfair at the first place. He is a solid left back playing for United, if he keep this up, he pretty much deserved it.
If you're just expecting a solid left back, you don't give him 5 yrs contract on 150 k/wk with an injury record like his.

And it's only at United, 150k is the new 100k. Also, Carvajal just signed a new contract last year until 2022 for 100k. Then when you see Isco at 80k.

https://www.totalsportek.com/money/real-madrid-player-salaries/

Fosu-Mens

Looked tired, poor passing choices and execution. Crossing can still be improved.
Still our best FB by some distance(given that we don't really know how good Dalot is), and that saying something.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

This is exactly the mentality that has us behind the top sides. Most top sides have fullbacks who contribute heavily to the attacking play. As for 150k being the new 100k, well with that attitude no wonder we have the most expensive wage bill in the league without even seriously competing for a title

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
If you're just expecting a solid left back, you don't give him 5 yrs contract on 150 k/wk with an injury record like his.

And it's only at United, 150k is the new 100k. Also, Carvajal just signed a new contract last year until 2022 for 100k. Then when you see Isco at 80k.

https://www.totalsportek.com/money/real-madrid-player-salaries/
These sites are not reliable at all.

For example, Bale is reported as earning 350K per week, as per Guardian he earns that much after tax where as wages in England are gross.

It is understood the contract is worth more than £600,000 a week before tax with the buyout clause set at €1bn (£900m). It is believed to be one of the biggest in the history of the sport. That is the equivalent to around £350,000 a week after tax,
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/oct/30/gareth-bale-real-madrid-new-contract-2022

BBC reported too using Guardian as source.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37850377

Most of these sites are just wrong and they don't even know the difference between gross and net wages

Kroos
German paper Bild reports that Kroos will double his salary and now receive €20m a year, making him the highest-paid member of his national team squad
http://www.espn.com/soccer/real-mad...nal-toni-kroos-signs-new-real-madrid-contract
https://www.foxsports.com/soccer/st...al-tying-him-to-real-madrid-until-2022-101216

That's around 350K per week, nearly double than what totalsportek reported.

Tbh I will never understand why people use these kind of links as some sort of proof, this one and some sportskeeda or something.

Treble

He's a bit like Mendy. Dynamic and good going forward (minus his crossing ability) but defensively suspect (probably not so much as Mendy judging by last night). Might be because Shaw is not experienced.

ash_86

Has a habit of coming inside toward our centre backs and completely leaving us exposed on the left flank, not sure why he does this.
Spot on. I've seen it happen multiple times. Maybe that's a tactic and the LW is suppose to come back and cover the flank? Needs to be sorted out either way.

Bournemouth 1:2 Man Utd

Raw

Linked up well with Martial and did well to end up 1v1 with the keeper before missing the chance. Though I think his overall performance could have been better.

Devil may care

Started off struggling with their attack but played his way into the game and played well in the second half.

Walters_19_MuFc

Great second half. Starting to build up a good chemistry with Martial and Pogba down that left, in regards to knowing where to move, etc.

Was unlucky with his chance, following a beautiful flick by Martial that put him one vs one with the keeper.

Web of Bissaka

Has a habit of coming inside toward our centre backs and completely leaving us exposed on the left flank, not sure why he does this.
Possibly to cover Lindelof, under instruction. Help him defend. Shaw seems to be better at heading and defending crosses.

EDIT:
I notice he tucked inwards when the opposing team is building up attacks on their left aka our right...and our centre. Lindelof is suspect in the air as does when there are numbers surrounding him. So it's possibly a preparation for incoming dangerous crosses. When our left are being attacked, Shaw switch role with Matic. Shaw goes out to defend, and Matic gets closer to Lindelof. Not sure if they do the same if different players plays LCB.

Last edited:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Another good game. Struggled a bit defensively at first but anyone would when they have zero support or protection from midfield. Building a great understanding with Martial.

Juventus 1:2 Man Utd

Devil may care

The axis of him/Martial/Pogba didn't get it going much tonight in attack as Pogba was off the pace all game, but I thought it was a strong defensive performance from Shaw.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Thought he was our MOTM tonight.

Solid defensively and really helped drive us up the pitch.

His composure on the ball is a real bonus too.

cyberman

He kept getting dragged infield. He was too preoccupied with Dybala finding the space between himself and the CB.

Mickson

Motm? :D I thought he was pretty bad, again. And again against a quality opponent. A couple of seasons ago I thought his defending was top class, but he just can't defend in 1vs1 situations anymore. If he's exposed against Ronaldo or Aaron Lennon, it doesn't matter because he gets skinned. But for me, the biggest problem is his positioning. Almost every attack yesterday came from his side, and it's no coincidence. We saw the same pattern against Spurs. Luke Shaw is a typical example of a player who gets better without playing (according to fans). Then he got his chance and made one fluke goal och one fluke assist and suddenly he's Evra. Sorry guys, he is bang average and the last meeting with Juventus we really saw the difference between Shaw and a class defender LB such as Sandro. It could be all forgotten if he was awesome going forward, but he isnät. His final ball is not good enough and he really can't score either. He hasn't that instinct and intelligence to see a move or a pass.

Andersons Dietician

Motm? :D I thought he was pretty bad, again. And again against a quality opponent. A couple of seasons ago I thought his defending was top class, but he just can't defend in 1vs1 situations anymore. If he's exposed against Ronaldo or Aaron Lennon, it doesn't matter because he gets skinned. But for me, the biggest problem is his positioning. Almost every attack yesterday came from his side, and it's no coincidence. We saw the same pattern against Spurs. Luke Shaw is a typical example of a player who gets better without playing (according to fans). Then he got his chance and made one fluke goal och one fluke assist and suddenly he's Evra. Sorry guys, he is bang average and the last meeting with Juventus we really saw the difference between Shaw and a class defender LB such as Sandro. It could be all forgotten if he was awesome going forward, but he isnät. His final ball is not good enough and he really can't score either. He hasn't that instinct and intelligence to see a move or a pass.
Hold up, for most of the game yesterday Juve did a great job especially Dybala of getting to that side so at time Shaw was faced with 2 players to watch, or Cudrado would go inside so Shaw has to watch him whilst keeping tabs on what Dybala was doing.
Martial was doing a decent job of getting back often with the RB but Pogba was non existent. There isn’t really that much he could do and with the way we play he is more often than not going to get caught out of position because he is a large part of our attack now and pushes way, way forward often at times being the furthest forward. This is where the likes of Matic needs to step back in to CB and Lindelof push to LB and hopefully Pogba is more vigilant to the danger on that side.

As for getting binned last night it was Ronaldo for heavens sake. I don’t think he was as good as he has been recently last night but it wasn’t a bad performance and for me Sandro didn’t really do anything spectacular and was helped by there being no threat on his side whatsoever.

Trizy

Poor game by his standards. Maybe Dybala scared him to get forward much.

Think the occasion got to him a bit too, he'll learn and improve.

Terminator

Hes been strong defensively the last few weeks,not sure what some are complaining about. Also we might have conceded more goals from the left than the right, how is he to be solely blamed for that? He cant fricking stop every ball from coming into the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.