Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

meamth

Regardless of the criticism he got from last night performance, I think he did well considering we conceded just 1 goal against Juve in their home ground.

The defence did well and he is a part of that back four. Good enough for me. He can only get better and better.

Kostov

Motm? :D I thought he was pretty bad, again. And again against a quality opponent. A couple of seasons ago I thought his defending was top class, but he just can't defend in 1vs1 situations anymore. If he's exposed against Ronaldo or Aaron Lennon, it doesn't matter because he gets skinned. But for me, the biggest problem is his positioning. Almost every attack yesterday came from his side, and it's no coincidence. We saw the same pattern against Spurs. Luke Shaw is a typical example of a player who gets better without playing (according to fans). Then he got his chance and made one fluke goal och one fluke assist and suddenly he's Evra. Sorry guys, he is bang average and the last meeting with Juventus we really saw the difference between Shaw and a class defender LB such as Sandro. It could be all forgotten if he was awesome going forward, but he isnät. His final ball is not good enough and he really can't score either. He hasn't that instinct and intelligence to see a move or a pass.
I'm not sure how anyone can take your comment seriously when you write this. Young was dreadful on the other side for example. He was beaten couple of times and exposed while out of position, while being covered by Lingard and Herrera. And not to talk about him being beaten in the air and some of those dreadful crosses. Shaw on the other side was left hanging by Pogba, yet he had couple of good clearances and was better in my opinion. I particularly wasn't impressed by his performance and I think he can do much better, but some of that post is laughable.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Am I the only one who doesn't see Shaw as this great attacking fullback who is suspect defensively? For me it is almost the opposite and he is generally pretty solid at the back not quite at his 2015 levels) despite some occasional positional lapses but I think he is underwhelming in attacking positions, needs to work on his delivery. What I will say though is his first touch and short passing is extremely good for a fullback. Solid 7/10 from Shaw in most games this season

Sylar

Am I the only one who doesn't see Shaw as this great attacking fullback who is suspect defensively? For me it is almost the opposite and he is generally pretty solid at the back not quite at his 2015 levels) despite some occasional positional lapses but I think he is underwhelming in attacking positions, needs to work on his delivery. What I will say though is his first touch and short passing is extremely good for a fullback. Solid 7/10 from Shaw in most games this season
I agree. I think he gets into good positions, but he needs to get to that next Evra type level of creating / crossing, etc

gajender

I agree. I think he gets into good positions, but he needs to get to that next Evra type level of creating / crossing, etc
Are you sure you are remembering Evra's style of play correctly ?

Sylar

Are you sure you are remembering Evra's style of play correctly ?
Im remembering him getting to the byline a lot.
But maybe im just remembering a few moments when he was there with Ronaldo.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Im remembering him getting to the byline a lot.
But maybe im just remembering a few moments when he was there with Ronaldo.
His final ball was quite iffy. Absolutely immense at everything else though, he'd single-handedly dominate the entire side of the field both offensively and defensively. If he had the final ball he'd be up there as arguably the best fullback of all time.

Sylar

His final ball was quite iffy. Absolutely immense at everything else though, he'd single-handedly dominate the entire side of the field both offensively and defensively. If he had the final ball he'd be up there as arguably the best fullback of all time.
Yeah I think ive been biased by looking at some of his good stuff and not remembering much about the bad stuff.
Looking at his stats, he seemed to get better over time in terms of assists and goals - his peak seemed to be Fergies last season - but i think that was also when we saw him not getting back as much either.

Kopral Jono

Shaw was atrocious in the first half last night, but got considerably better as the game went on. All in all he's improved massively as a player and has proven me wrong to boot.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He has another step up to take.
Rightly applauded for his efforts this season but as things stand he's still a pretty average-good fullback. Plenty of potential though.

ash_86

His defensive positioning is so bad. Almost all our goals have ben from our left side and that speaks for itself

el3mel

He was god awful defensively. It's not obvious in league matches but this side got exposed against Juve. He needs to work more on his positioning.

Kag

You’re not. And you shouldn’t be. Shaw being better defensively has been obvious since he was 17. Few, if any, teenage full backs have ever been as good defensively in the Premier League. His defending at Southampton was brilliant. It was in attacking areas that he did (and still does) need to improve significantly. His link up play is generally fab, though. Very nifty.

Shaw can make mistakes, just like last night, but it’s easily forgotten how inexperienced he is in these sorts of games. He’s been around a while now, but last night was probably the biggest game of his career. He’s missed a lot of football in his young career and it shows. Trust in him and he’ll be fine.

Litch

I'm just glad he's playing every week cause basically he's still playing catch up. Stating the obvious but whilst the teams in a state of constant flux, we'll continue to see inconsistencies in performances. Football is always about partnerships in teams and hopefully we are seeing the emergence of one on the left side....

I'm just glad he's playing every week cause basically he's still playing catch up. Stating the obvious but whilst the teams in a state of constant flux, we'll continue to see inconsistencies in performances. Football is always about partnerships in teams and hopefully we are selling the emergence of one on the left side....
I agree - he hasn't played a full season since his big injury. He's doing well all things considering.

kundalini

Asleep for their opening goal. Been poor defensively for most of the season. One good surge forward that I can remember.

el3mel

Fair to say we extremely overrated the lad earlier didn't we.

He's getting exposed at every top game now. We might consider his level to start with.

Sauldogba

I think he's average at pretty much everything apart from heading. He's so one footed, he can't cross and he's terrible at reading the game.

Mick321

5 good games in 4 years and gets a huge new contract, not much incentive to keep going is there?!

AP88

Supports
Man City
Too naturally bulky to play wide now he’s filled out - he’s identical to Gareth Barry now in the sense he’s a tank with a sweet left foot but lacks agility. Centreback or even holding midfield is the future for him.

El Jefe

People pick on Lukaku really easily but someone should make a video on how many goals have come from Shaw's area of the pitch and his defensive lapses.

We need another LB in the summer to provide competition for him. He's a good player but nowhere near good enough to be our undisputed left back because he doesn't excel in attacking or defending.

el3mel

People pick on Lukaku really easily but someone should make a video on how many goals have come from Shaw's area of the pitch and his defensive lapses.

We need another LB in the summer to provide competition for him. He's a good player but nowhere near good enough to be our undisputed left back because he doesn't excel in attacking or defending.
You mean to replace him.

I can't see him as a main starter on the long run anymore. Good for squad depth though.

Irwin99

I might be wrong but we always seem to concede a lot more down his flank, especially when he let's his man go or fails to cut out a cross. I can't see Jose tolerating this.

5 yellow cards and a suspension for the next game. We could be back to Valencia and Young soon enough :nervous:

I would love us to go for Tierney he's really good

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He's dropped off since signing his new deal........
He actually has and I was worried it would happen but also had faith it wouldn't. Hopefully this is just a coincidence but time will tell.

Even when he was playing well, he had further to go to really contribute. He definitely has work to do.

When was the last time he played so many games consecutively? I don't think his body is used to playing twice a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.