Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossa

did he gain weight or is it his body’s nature. He’s like rooney. Will always look a bit chubby. But its good to see him back, hope he hits his top form again.
He looked fitter last season. He needs to address that. It will elevate his all round game and reduce the risk of injuries. A fit Shaw is vital for the team.

RedRJ

I've felt for a while, it might just be worth trying to stick him in midfield. His passing and vision is awesome
Agreed. I’d like to see him tried as a CDM to see whether he could be the answer to some of our midfield problems.

Idxomer

He weighs twice as much. But yeah, he won a fair few duels tonight and was great in the first half. He’s also very important for our build up play. That pass to Ronaldo in the fitfh minute was sublime.
Yeah, the weight of his passes is usually spot-on.

There's a real purpose behind them which is a problem with pretty much the rest of the team.

Rossa

Yeah, the weight of his passes is usually spot-on.

There's a real purpose behind them which is a problem with pretty much the rest of the team.
He works great with Rashford and given time, I think he and Sancho can also be brilliant together. He managea to find Ronaldo on those clever runs in behind as well.

i also enjoy it when he puts on his afterburners and slides through midfield angling towards goal - almost reminiscent of Yaya Toure in how unstoppable he is when doing it.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Back to his best in the 1st half.

I never want to see Telles starting over him again unless needing a rest.

No coincidence that once he's back in the side we look more dangerous.

United in sin

Big booty Shaw is back! He's going to crush the competition again. Ronaldo denied him an assist, he was on fire tonight

spiriticon

If only he could improve his mentality and maintain some sort of consistency.

Although I'm starting to believe more and more that it's Maguire bringing Shaw's performances down, rather than the other way around. When Shaw looks lost, Maguire is usually having a horror show.

sherrinford

Although I'm starting to believe more and more that it's Maguire bringing Shaw's performances down, rather than the other way around. When Shaw looks lost, Maguire is usually having a horror show.
Shaw has been, by far, the best performer at the club over the last three full seasons overall. It's extremely harsh to question his mentality and consistency.

spiriticon

Shaw has been, by far, the best performer at the club over the last three full seasons overall. It's extremely harsh to question his mentality and consistency.
Three full seasons??? Um.... he's not even the best performer this season.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Three full seasons??? Um.... he's not even the best performer this season.
So you think the best performer this season is the same as the best overall across 3 seasons?

He has been poor this season but the previous 2 been extremely good. Im not sure there is a single player who has not had a poor period of 6 months or more in the squad also

Glorio

Obviously a player that needs competition and an realistic threat to his position to perform well, and perform well, he did

spiriticon

So you think the best performer this season is the same as the best overall across 3 seasons?
I thought he meant he's the best performer at the club for 3 seasons straight, including this one.

But what I want from him is to maintain his levels of last year for 3 full seasons (and more). That's the consistency needed to challenge Robertson and Cancelo regularly. The moment he is behind those two means we are a step behind already.

TheLittleOne

Good performance. Very good player on his day the physicallity, the ability is all there but hes the definition of a confidence player ... hope he can get back to his best

ZupZup

You wanted Telles to play tonight and said Shaw needs to sit on the bench for a number of weeks more… hilarious!

Tarrou

I wish we’d stop dicking about and play him and Sancho down the left all the time

could be a fantastic partnership

spiriticon

You wanted Telles to play tonight and said Shaw needs to sit on the bench for a number of weeks more… hilarious!
I did. I also said that Shaw was clearly better than Telles but he needs to improve his mentality and consistency, which is what I said here.

He was better than Robertson last season, but has now fallen back again.

sherrinford

I thought he meant he's the best performer at the club for 3 seasons straight, including this one.

But what I want from him is to maintain his levels of last year for 3 full seasons (and more). That's the consistency needed to challenge Robertson and Cancelo regularly. The moment he is behind those two means we are a step behind already.
He was the best performer in the squad in two of the last three seasons, prior to this one, and so was over that three year period quite easily the best player in the team overall. Basically, the consistency you say you want from him, he has already shown.

Also his level last year was quite special really. Hopefully he can return to those heights but his level of the two years prior was, though not as high, of the calibre required.

Shaw is the very last player in the current squad who can be tarred with the inconsistency brush really. Poor starts, poor periods and poor seasons can happen, for many reasons. He's been crap, but the new manager coming in is exactly the kind of thing that can see a player turn that around.

spiriticon

He was the best performer in the squad in two of the last three seasons, prior to this one, and so was over that three year period quite easily the best player in the team overall. Basically, the consistency you say you want from him, he has already shown.

Also his level last year was quite special really. Hopefully he can return to those heights but his level of the two years prior was, though not as high, of the calibre required.

Shaw is the very last player in the current squad who can be tarred with the inconsistency brush really. Poor starts, poor periods and poor seasons can happen, for many reasons. He's been crap, but the new manager coming in is exactly the kind of thing that can see a player turn that around.
I think the key difference is that you're comparing his performances to the rest of our wasters in the squad, which is good, while I'm trying to compare him to the best fullbacks in the league where I want him to be and where his ability should place him.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Agree with you. In first half when Maguire got turned and Burnley got in behind on their right, Shaw ran to cover the CB position because every CB in world football would run to confront the attacker on the wing, except Harry stayed in the middle and Luke ended up almost running into him. Meanwhile Burnley were allowed a free cross from the right wing.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Such a difference between him and Telles. When on form, he is as good as Trent or Cancelo.

sherrinford

I think the key difference is that you're comparing his performances to the rest of our wasters in the squad, which is good, while I'm trying to compare him to the best fullbacks in the league where I want him to be and where his ability should place him.
I'm comparing him to both. His performances have generally been good enough to see him placed among the best fullbacks in the league. Shaw could return to playing as he did prior to stepping up a notch last season and perform like that for the next six years and left back wouldn't be an area of concern for us.

And yes, we should look at his teammates. Questioning the consistency of the best and most consistent performer in the squad is bizarre.

spiriticon

I'm comparing him to both. His performances have generally been good enough to see him placed among the best fullbacks in the league. Shaw could return to playing as he did prior to stepping up a notch last season and perform like that for the next six years and left back wouldn't be an area of concern for us.

And yes, we should look at his teammates. Questioning the consistency of the best and most consistent performer in the squad is bizarre.
I think you are hugely overrating the Shaw of 3 seasons ago, and this season. You say he is the best and most consistent performer yet for me he doesn't even stand out in the first half of this season so far. That would be De Gea, and most of the time it is saving the asses of the defence which includes Shaw as part of it. I am dubious to whether he is even better than Greenwood this season. He might be the most consistent defender maybe, but the bar is really really really low. The defensive unit has been so bad I find it hard to rate any player in it.

ZupZup

I did. I also said that Shaw was clearly better than Telles but he needs to improve his mentality and consistency, which is what I said here.

He was better than Robertson last season, but has now fallen back again.
Sorry, but how exactly is Shaw sitting on the bench for another month going to improve his consistency? All whilst watching Telles put in mediocre performances that will lower the chances of United picking up points.

I am all for players fighting for their place and competition… but forcing artificial competition is pointless. Shaw is so far ahead of Telles that it isn’t competitive. If we play Telles week in, week out, in some misguided attempt to prove a point to Shaw… it only weakens the side.

sherrinford

I think you are hugely overrating the Shaw of 3 seasons ago, and this season. You say he is the best and most consistent performer yet for me he doesn't even stand out in the first half of this season so far. That would be De Gea, and most of the time it is saving the asses of the defence which includes Shaw as part of it. I am dubious to whether he is even better than Greenwood this season. He might be the most consistent defender maybe, but the bar is really really really low. The defensive unit has been so bad I find it hard to rate any player in it.
He has been very poor this season.

I have repeatedly mentioned that I am referring to the last three full seasons. Full seasons, so not this season so far, which is not a full season. And three years ago he was the best player in the team. A player who has been consistently good for three full seasons, the best player in the squad for two of those three seasons and by far the best player overall in a period spanning three years having a crap start to the season is not a player showing his inconsistency, it's just a player having a crap start to the season.

spiriticon

Sorry, but how exactly is Shaw sitting on the bench for another month going to improve his consistency? All whilst watching Telles put in mediocre performances that will lower the chances of United picking up points.

I am all for players fighting for their place and competition… but forcing artificial competition is pointless. Shaw is so far ahead of Telles that it isn’t competitive. If we play Telles week in, week out, in some misguided attempt to prove a point to Shaw… it only weakens the side.
Tbf Telles was doing ok until the Newcastle game. The team was starting to keep clean sheets, though it was evident that he was not as good in attack.

When I think about dropping a player, I think of giving the No.2 a fair chance to show their worth. Not giving the No.1 a little rest for a few games and then whoop straight back in he comes regardless. It sends the wrong message out to the squad, in my opinion.

mikel

Obviously a player that needs competition and an realistic threat to his position to perform well, and perform well, he did
Yah, he does need to be pushed a little. No doubt seeing Telles out there pushed his buttons.

spiriticon

He has been very poor this season.

I have repeatedly mentioned that I am referring to the last three full seasons. Full seasons, so not this season so far, which is not a full season. And three years ago he was the best player in the team. A player who has been consistently good for three full seasons, the best player in the squad for two of those three seasons and by far the best player overall in a period spanning three years having a crap start to the season is not a player showing his inconsistency, it's just a player having a crap start to the season.
I still think you are overrating Shaw's seasons before 20/21. The best player of the last few seasons for me has been Bruno but that's besides the point.

As far as Shaw goes, he was ok in 18/19 and 19/20 but not world beating. Last season was the first time I thought of him on a level playing field with the very best in the league.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Played on the front foot. Looked well rested

432JuanMata

As I said before 4-2-2-2 only works when the FB’s are great at attacking and you can see the difference today as Shaw was great. The other side needs a upgrade.
Ralf system would work at Liverpool well with TAA and Robertson

Status
Not open for further replies.