Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

DomM

Have we ever had a defender who fouls as much as him, Needless foul after Needless foul..

Valencia Shin Crosses

Shaw's a defensive liability. Talks a good game but could do with learning how to position himself, stop crosses and all and all provide defensive security down the left. When he's not bombing forward I don't know what he offers.
Tbf there are plenty of liabilities defensively with modern fullbacks (TAA is horrific defensively on his own). As long as he's defending well 1v1 and providing technical class going forward that's about as much as I'm asking for currently.

slored1

No help from Rashford but he is a fouling machine. How the hell did he not get sent off?

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Took a yellow for the team to stop a dangerous attack, one of his better games this season

Marwood

A bit scruffy and he's another one who goes for too many Hollywood passes. Yeah he's got a nice left foot but some of the passes he's trying are 1 in 50 type stuff.

Bobade

Decent performance from Luke. Bit physical, but nice to see someone putting a good shift in for the full match.

criticalanalysis

Good going forward.

We need make it an actual conscious tactic to play the ball to Shaw or set up passing variations so he can run off or on the ball.

Unfortunately, a lot of the plays involving him or on the left are mostly improvised.

We need to emphasise squeezing or doubling on the left side, so Fred or someone can actively protect that area, you know a bit like the most successful teams do like Liverpool or City. Right now or rather how it's always been for years, we ask our full backs to attack and bring width with no actual thought to it. We actively give free reign to AWB or Shaw to attack equally when it really shouldn't be the case. Shaw is just miles ahead as an attacking influence, passing option etc. It's really sad.

He doesn't do himself no favours with those maddening lazy body/obstruction fouls because he positions himself wrong though.

Chief123

Could we potentially see Luke Shaw being used minimally by RR for the remainder of the season?

After Luke Shaw’s bizarre interview after the wolves game where he implied whatever the manager was doing wasn’t working and he needed to bring “new ideas”. It kind of felt like Shaw took the opportunity to have a dig at the manager after Ralf’s comments about Shaw a couple of years ago saying he wasn’t good enough for Man Utd. I’m sure Shaw must have been bothered by those comments.

Anyway, it wouldn’t be surprising if Ragnick only uses Shaw when he needs to and keeps Telles as his first choice for remainder of the season. I’m sure RR wouldn’t have taken kindly to Shaw’s words after that game.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Could we potentially see Luke Shaw being used minimally by RR for the remainder of the season?

After Luke Shaw’s bizarre interview after the wolves game where he implied whatever the manager was doing wasn’t working and he needed to bring “new ideas”. It kind of felt like Shaw took the opportunity to have a dig at the manager after Ralf’s comments about Shaw a couple of years ago saying he wasn’t good enough for Man Utd. I’m sure Shaw must have been bothered by those comments.

Anyway, it wouldn’t be surprising if Ragnick only uses Shaw when he needs to and keeps Telles as his first choice for remainder of the season. I’m sure RR wouldn’t have taken kindly to Shaw’s words after that game.
Shaw has to focus on his own level. After a brilliant last season (and Euros) where he could stake a solid claim for best LB in England, he made a horrific start to the season. Obviously if he's critical of his manager he won't be first choice. That's impossible but even aside from that he has to rediscover his touch.

united for life

i don’t think Ralf is this kind of manager. Martial played against West Ham yesterday which means that the manager would play whoever is ready.

with that said, i think luke is a better left back than telles and he showed how good he can be last year. It’s him who needs to rediscover his form - hopefully along with the rest of the team

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches

He never said Ralf's plan wasn't working, he said maybe he could bring in new ideas. Which RR has done...

arnie_ni

Think you need to watch that interview again

Stgun

I think it's not a coincidence how we kept more clean sheet and has better defensive shape now that he doesn't start , people only rates him when he has the ball but couldn't analyze how bad he was without it. I begin to understand what Mourinho said about him not using his brain / late to act on when to close in , when to press , when to go inside , when to go here or there , when to be aggresive , or to position himself during defensive phase. He doesn't understand all those things. Dangerous cross keeps coming from his side and we then struggle to keep clean sheet for like 20 more games and he was responsible for big part of it , conceded 6 against spurs last season , 5 against Liverpool and even 4 against Watford. Him and Maguire partnering at that side was a calamity

Not to mention he is overweight therefore he get gassed after 60 minutes , he won't be able to coup with Rangnick pressing style and also injury prone. I mean it's pretty clear Rangnick doesn't rate him, he said so in an interview last year.
Whenever he doesn't play, somehow negative press about "toxic" dressing room came out, this guy isn't only lazy on and off the pitch but also toxic , we have seen him for the last 7 seasons , few months of purple patch shouldn't change anything about the fact that he isn't good enough for Manchester United we have to quickly sell him in the summer before his value goes down.

Last edited:

Ixion

His ceiling is higher than Telles, Dalot, AWB but there has to be question marks about his attitude and consistency. I think when he is over this injury Ralf will slot him back into the team to try and get the best out of him as it's in our interest hes playing well but if he doesn't produce he won't get a free pass like under Ole and Telles will come in.

Kag

He’s had a poor season, but he’s a much better player than Telles. He’ll be back in the side before long. I quite like Telles, too; thoroughly competent back up, but that’s all he is. Shaw adds so much more to the side in possession. We just need him fit and flying.

Chief123

I mean if you want to keep believing "he implied whatever the manager was doing wasn’t working" carry on, but that's not what he said.
Why would he suggest the manager to bring “new ideas” if the current ideas are working. You may want to go watch the interview again.

Red Royal

He’s had a poor season, but he’s a much better player than Telles. He’ll be back in the side before long. I quite like Telles, too; thoroughly competent back up, but that’s all he is. Shaw adds so much more to the side in possession. We just need him fit and flying.
I think he suffered a lot from having a terribly out of form Maguire next to him. Shaw has not been as good as his excellent season last year, but this was compounded by the CBs being so bad earllier. With Varane fit and Maguire competent or Lindelof instead; I am positive that Shaw can start to get back some of that great form that made him best Left back un England.

Redlyn

Why would he suggest the manager to bring “new ideas” if the current ideas are working. You may want to go watch the interview again.
We had one full week of training coming up which Rangick could use to bring in new ideas. He offered that as a solution to the problem. That's really all that was said. If you want to interpret that to mean he was criticizing Rangnick for the past result, up to you. It's all a big deal about nothing. But there is just no way such trivialities would be held against him going forward.

Last edited:

arnie_ni

After that match they had a week to their next game.

Prior to this they had training cancelled because of covid and playing multiple games a week.

He was saying now the manager has a chance to actually bring his new ideas and teach them to the team.

He hadn't the chance to bring his ideas to them yet, not that his ideas haven't worked.

OrcaFat

Agree. He is my favourite player, still, despite his susceptibility to dips in form and fitness. He still has many good years ahead and will improve a lot, I think.

The consistency is an issue but his highs are right up there with the best LBs in the world. I still think he’ll start scoring more goals at some point as there are times he runs from the LB position straight at the opposition goal and makes it to the D; I can see him learning to play 1-2s and getting maybe 7-8 goals a season.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I thought we missed him yesterday. Telles was pretty rubbish. Really hope he can get his head down and put in the work to reclaim his spot because he adds a lot to our attack.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
People get bogged down in comparing Shaw to Telles.
Neither of them are good enough for an elite team that United want to be.

Chief123

He was saying now the manager has a chance to actually bring his new ideas and teach them to the team.

He hadn't the chance to bring his ideas to them yet, not that his ideas haven't worked.
Erm, you've literally just made all that up. He didn't say that at all. You've just made a whole load of assumptions.

RR played 4222 in every game since he became manager. It's no coincidence that after the Wolves game, RR changed tactics from 4222 to 4231 in every game since then. So yeah, his ideas weren't working hence why he's changed it.

Devil81

It does seen strange he's not been seen since that post match interview.

I've always questioned his attitude but it looked like he'd turned a corner, now I'm back questioning him again.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Why would he say "you can't blame the manager" if he was blaming the manager? You may want to go watch the interview again and stop literally making it up yourself.

It does seen strange he's not been seen since that post match interview.

I've always questioned his attitude but it looked like he'd turned a corner, now I'm back questioning him again.
He played the very next match.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
There is an assist monster sleeping in him. The challenge is finding his deep motivators. Some say it might be food. Whatever it is Ralf needs to find it

arnie_ni

Erm, you've literally just made all that up. He didn't say that at all. You've just made a whole load of assumptions.

RR played 4222 in every game since he became manager. It's no coincidence that after the Wolves game, RR changed tactics from 4222 to 4231 in every game since then. So yeah, his ideas weren't working hence why he's changed it.

Watch it again. From about 4mins on.

He says we have a long training week and maybe the manager can bring his ideas that he wants on the pitch.

There's a whole thread on it.

You're the one making things up. He even says you can't blame the manager

Stgun

There is an assist monster sleeping in him. The challenge is finding his deep motivators. Some say it might be food. Whatever it is Ralf needs to find it
He had 13 assists in the last 7-8 years which suggest that he isn't an assist monster , never was , never will. He is on 190k p/w , even at his best we won nothing with him as starting fullback. What Ralf should do is sell him next summer , and buy someone else. He is just a mediocre player who gets overhyped due to a few months of purple patch , try to think why all the top manager ( Poch , LVG , Mourinho ) has a problem with him and only lesser manager such as OGS and Southgate who rates him. I will stick with Telles for time being, we are doing better with him anyway , no lost in epl and less goals conceded when we start him.

Last edited:

Raven

He had 13 assists in the last 7-8 years which suggest that he isn't an assist monster , never was , never will. He is on 190k p/w , even at his best we won nothing with him as starting fullback. What Ralf should do is sell him next summer , and buy someone else. He is just a mediocre player who gets overhyped due to a few months of purple patch , try to think why all the top manager ( Poch , LVG , Mourinho ) has a problem with him and only lesser manager such as OGS and Southgate who rates him. I will stick with Telles for time being, we are doing better with him anyway , no lost in epl and less goals conceded when we start him.
:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.