View full 2014-15 profile

6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

blitz133w

Thought he played really well today. Some of his short passing is dodgy as feck though. Seems to pass to teammates when they don't want it.

This is my biggest problem with him. He's always passing to someone who is not expecting it. Hoofed a lot of unnecessary balls when we only had to keep possession. Hope he improves soon. For 16M we should have better. Relatively decent over all but has so much to learn. Specially positioning. He gives too much space inside the box to strikers. He better settle himself quickly in that CB role. We need him desperately.

hebegebe

A better CB than LB took responsibility today, thought he was pretty solid.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
This is my biggest problem with him. He's always passing to someone who is not expecting it. Hoofed a lot of unnecessary balls when we only had to keep possession. Hope he improves soon. For 16M we should have better. Relatively decent over all but has so much to learn. Specially positioning. He gives too much space inside the box to strikers. He better settle himself quickly in that CB role. We need him desperately.
Hopefully he will improve in that regard with a consistent backline and once he's settled in more. Definitely a bit of a worry with him, but hopefully one that won't be as bad after he's been here a while.

Definitely looks like he should be kept at centre back though now Shaw is in the side.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Loved when he went straight to McNair, after McNair had put good pressure on one of their attackers and the ball eventually ran out of play. It's a minor thing, but I imagine it means a lot for a young player to get that sort of encouragement from a senior one.

Thought Rojo did well in general today. Could've used a bit more calmness on that ball on a few occasions, but considering our defence today he did a good job. No doubt a big learning experience today for him as well, being the senior central defender.

Red_toad

I'm not explaining it here because this is the Rojo thread and should stay on topic. De Gea's thread is very active at the moment with many people discussing his drop in form so that would be the place for it. I gave a couple of posts in there from after the Leicester game if you want to take issue. Some overly harsh criticism too in my opinion.
Well I shall disagree on all counts, you brought him into the thread, you should explain if you're going to put it out there, I don't see him as out of form & I don't believe you've explained very well in the De Gea thread.

justboy68

Well I shall disagree on all counts, you brought him into the thread, you should explain if you're going to put it out there, I don't see him as out of form & I don't believe you've explained very well in the De Gea thread.
Okay then. Each to his own.

Walters_19_MuFc

Considering most people wrote him off last week, despite having only two games for us (2 at the time), I thought he was pretty solid today. Once he gets a consistent partner next to him, I don't see why he can't flourish.

vidal7

He organised the defense really well. I think he kept the Line, he also was telling players where they need to be positonally . Made a crucial tackle in the first half which has gone unnoticed. He needs to be calmer though that will come soon with more games.

Dominos

I liked his performance today. Seems to be very vocal, we need an organiser back there.

Would it be fair to say he's not particularly aerially dominant? Despite being the Caf's whipping boy at the moment (for basically no reason at all), I'd like to see Smalling given a run alongside him to balance that out.

The Red Thinker

I liked his performance today. Seems to be very vocal, we need an organiser back there.

Would it be fair to say he's not particularly aerially dominant? Despite being the Caf's whipping boy at the moment (for basically no reason at all), I'd like to see Smalling given a run alongside him to balance that out.
Actually, no. It's one of his strengths. He's usually powerful in the air, but I think he's still coming to grips with the pace and power of the Premier League. He'll come good. Remember Laurent Koscielny when he first came to Arsenal? Was rubbish in the air and now he's rather good.

Dominos

Actually, no. It's one of his strengths. He's usually powerful in the air, but I think he's still coming to grips with the pace and power of the Premier League. He'll come good. Remember Laurent Koscielny when he first came to Arsenal? Was rubbish in the air and now he's rather good.
Fair enough. He doesn't look the biggest and definitely lost a couple of headers today. To be fair he was up against West Ham's giant oafs, but they're the sort of cloggers he'll have to deal with in this league.

The Red Thinker

Fair enough. He doesn't look the biggest and definitely lost a couple of headers today. To be fair he was up against West Ham's giant oafs, but they're the sort of cloggers he'll have to deal with in this league.
I agree. About his height, he's by no means short as he's 6'1 - 6'2 easy. What helps him is that he's got a good spring on him. Good ol' Pat was tiny but boy could he jump high.

Lou-is Red

I like him. Played well today! Judging him from a few games and his and his mrs' instagram seems a nice lad and enjoying England/United!

m1y2

he was very confident and much assured at CB, did a good job even I feared a bit before the match. He can play there. Anyway we were looking quite short in the air on set pieces. Mcnair won some good headers but before their player took corner it wasn't like when we had Vidic and Ferdinand who you knew will most defenitely clear the ball maybe that is why van persie stay on the pitch, he is quite decent header of the ball on the first post but we are vulnerable in the air. De Gea never was a beast in the air and it will take a lot of time to handle this disadvantage...

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Thought he defended well in tough circumstances. At the end of the day, as long as he is playing, that's all we can ask for, judging a foreign CB only a few games in is just stupid. He needs time to settle.

LR7

Rafael - Jones - Rojo - Shaw

This would be first choice for me when everyone is fit. I thought Rojo did well today. He seems like a really nice person, always giving others encouragement and genuinely looks happy to play for us. Him Jones and Rafa have a real uncompromising tenacity and I think they'll compiment each other well.

jem

One suicidal pass to McNair aside, I thought he looked fine today. It'll be a big boost if he can shore up one of the centre-half positions, as that is an area of far greater need than left back.

The Red Thinker

This would be first choice for me when everyone is fit. I thought Rojo did well today. He seems like a really nice person, always giving others encouragement and genuinely looks happy to play for us. Him Jones and Rafa have a real uncompromising tenacity and I think they'll compiment each other well.
I like the combative nature of that backline, but the only worry for me is that Jones doesn't read the game all too well. It's always the last-ditch tackle with him, and whilst they are fine tackles, it can compromise the team many a team when your main central defender doesn't nip the problems in the bud in tight matches. Though, I am being harsh on him considering he's not all that bad at reading play, only that he needs to wisen up on that aspect of his game for him to be a truly world class defender, a la Terry, who plays a similar style.

LR7

I like the combative nature of that backline, but the only worry for me is that Jones doesn't read the game all too well. It's always the last-ditch tackle with him, and whilst they are fine tackles, it can compromise the team many a team when your main central defender doesn't nip the problems in the bud in tight matches. Though, I am being harsh on him considering he's not all that bad at reading play, only that he needs to wisen up on that aspect of his game for him to be a truly world class defender, a la Terry, who plays a similar style.
I don't think it is always last ditch tackles with Jones. And I think his reading of the game is fine. Id say his biggest issue is fighting for lost causes and overstretching for things others defenders might leave but it's in his nature and he's like Rafa in that he's wants to win every single ball. He's still only 22 though and decision making will improve. Before his injury I thought he was our best player this season. Hopefully he can hit the ground running when he comes back.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.

Yup. Pretty much this. Given a consistent injury-free run, that backline has the potential to be something really special. Plus it's unbelievably young for the long term with an average age of about 22.

iBoss

i-ttack the space
Illuminati headquarters, chillin' with Jay Z.
Hopefully he and Shaw keep fit and build a partnership. That balance between CB and fullback is crucial, that much is clear after the Blackett and Rojo combination last week. Understand each others game and weak points. Rojo should be comfortable knowing Shaw will make certain space available for him to play it out and when each other needs help especially on counters. Blind is also crucial in this also, so he too should play every game.

penalty snot

He seems to be taking on the culture and expectations of the club.

He was supporting mcnair with high five and fistbumps.

Anyone catch Fletcher telling him to put away his imaginary Red card?

He immediately dropped his hands. Good lad.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
our defenders are just getting to know each other. we have a good group.

Yes. The club's culture will seep into them.

I have no fears about them.

Once they bed in....our forward players will destroy all before them without worrying about the defence.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Quite like him. Read earlier how he wasn't that good but I don't understand that. Thought he did well.

wiz4231

First time he's played a CB for us in the PL. He's done well and was a leader in defence. He organised and encouraged the defence. Hopefully Smalling is back for Everton, I think they would make a solid CB pairing. McNair also did well, at times he was positionally out of sync with the defence (too deep) but Rojo was constantly communicating with him and positioning him correctly.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Anyone seen any interviews with him? Does he speak any English?

If you listen to ex-pros, the key to a solid defense is communication. Can't imagine a whole lot of chat between McNair, Rojo, Rafa, Shaw and De Gea, unfortunately.

Hopefully it'll come.

I think what we really need is one bruiser CB. It's what we're missing, and there are enough teams in the prem for it to be a useful asset. None of our CBs are tough. At all. Jones is only tough on his own body, Smalling looks scared of his own shadow and Evans appears to being playing drunk this season. Maybe Rojo is the guy, by from Portugal reports are that he's more bark than bite.

NoPace

Did everything well apart from losing multiple headers. Good positioning, pace and he doesn't seem to get beat on the ground easily.

Thought his passing was okay. Correctly sussed out that Di Maria is the best player on the team and basically just hit it at his feet whenever possible, which is fine with me.

Devil may care

That is our best bet for a solid back 4 until we can get to January IMO, I think Jones and Rojo may be a bit too similar to be a full time partnership but you never know.

LR7

That is our best bet for a solid back 4 until we can get to January IMO, I think Jones and Rojo may be a bit too similar to be a full time partnership but you never know.
My Dad wants us to buy back Ryan Shawcross. I wasn't too sure what to think of that at first, but we aren't getting Hummels and who else is there from the top class bracket who will be available?

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
My Dad wants us to buy back Ryan Shawcross. I wasn't too sure what to think of that at first, but we aren't getting Hummels and who else is there from the top class bracket who will be available?
This crossed my mind as well. Youth Product, English, seems to love defending much like Vidic and an excellent fitness record (Missed a combined total of 6 league games in the past 4 years).

The downside side is he'll cost a lot, not the top quality we're looking for and on talent alone he's probably not an improvement on Jones. If we can get him for somewhere around 15m I'd buy him.

LR7

This crossed my mind as well. Youth Product, English, seems to love defending much like Vidic and an excellent fitness record (Missed a combined total of 6 league games in the past 4 years).

The downside side is he'll cost a lot, not the top quality we're looking for and on talent alone he's probably not an improvement on Jones. If we can get him for somewhere around 15m I'd buy him.
Yeah it's not the ideal solution as most of our fans will moan that he isn't top class and cite that he got shown up by Zlatan (most defenders do), but I think it could be a good medium term compromise. He would be good organising at the back - he's captain at Stoke, he missed just one game last season (but I'm sure we would find a way to break him) and he's massively suited to the PL which is our main focus this season. I doubt he would be all that expensive, he will be 27 by the time the January window comes along so I can't see it costing too much.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Really enjoyed watching him in cb today. He made some very clever interceptions and there is a certain air of certainty about the way he reads and sets himself up to challenge headers, it really oozes confidence to defenders around him, ala vidic. I also like the way he passes the ball, it's very accurate and hard. Those are just small things I noticed watching him today

Warriner

Thought he was outstanding tbh. He looks better at CB than he does LB and I think once a back four (hopefully) of Shaw - Rojo - Jones - Rafael (Again, hopefully) establishes itself it will be very good. He was my man of the match for one very good reason, the leadership he shown. I sit in the east stand, so ofcourse that second half where we were under so much pressure our back four were infront of me.. He tried to organise the team every time the ball went out of play, or went back up the other end of the field. He was constantly screaming at the team to get out, push up, mark men.. Yes he had two debutants alongside him, but I still think for someone who's been at the club for two months it was fantastic to see.

jesperjaap

I tihk he did very well and some of the criticism with his passing here is very harsh. Only his 3rd game for the club, first at CB partnering a youngster making his debut in a game with 10 men where the majority of the second half was spent defending around the area.
It was by no means a world class performance dotn get me wrong but he showed very good signs and confidence in terms of leadership, teamwork, aerial ability, covering his partner, composure, weight of pass. These are all things that have been missing in our other centre backs currently at the club for some time, its only one game but on the evidence I witnessed I certainly have more faith he can go on to be a good partner to Jobes for example rather than Johnny Evans that some people seem to really rate.

Stretch

Played well. Looked much more at home at CB. I hope we now recover from our injury crisis and get a consistent partner next to him to build on.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Thought he was very good, and contrary to what many seem to have said in here, I think he is also noticably very good on the ball too.