6.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

jb8521

That really is nonsense. No-one who's watched more of Wilson's career than his handful of glimpses of first team football would deny that he has an 'It' factor - I've lost count of the number of sides he savaged for the U21s, the number of four- or five-goal games, the number of wondergoals both for United youth sides and loan teams - and he put on just as special a performance for his senior debut as Rashford's, also scoring a brace, in a team playing much worse. Ok, he didn't score another double in his next game, but that seems a pretty high bar! There's no denying that he's never enjoyed the same youth-friendly atmosphere that Rashford has stepped into. If he hadn't been on loan (and still sick, I think?) then he'd have been the one reaping the rewards of Memphis tearing Midtjylland to pieces. There's absolutely no question he'd have put away those same straightforward chances.

They're both special players, both the star strikers of their age groups throughout their youth careers, and both have the talent to potentially stick with United and do great things. For Rashford to do what he's done so incredibly early in his career is astonishing. I hate that the response on here to one United player doing well is always to spuriously criticise another.
I think 1 of Wilson's biggest problems and why he has looked quiet in a lot of his first team games is that he was always far too good for whatever level he played at in youth football so got a bit used to being able to pick and choose his moments of when to actually show his talent. He could be invisible for most of a game and then beat half the team with a run or just decide to take over and end up with a hat trick. He hasn't really gotten used to having to work for goals or involve himself more in general play to work himself into games. He hasn't played a huge amount for Brighton but the few times I've seen him he looks to be trying to get more involved in general play and trying to link more with his team mates which is encouraging. If he could just get over his injury and illness problems and actually get a run of games he has the ability to have a brilliant career

Last edited:

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
To be honest I think in the heat of the Rashford excitement you're just forgetting what Wilson was like in his handful of first team outings. Check out this video, it's exclusively footage from his senior games in 2014/15. There are four or five moments in there better than anything Rashford has shown so far, and for a team playing worse than our last two performances and in an atmosphere much less conducive to giving youngsters their chances.

The hold up play at 0:41
The pass at 1:20
The run at 1:43
The attack at 2:13
The goal at 2:50
And the dozen or so times he burns straight past multiple opponents as if they aren't there.

I'll stop now as this is getting OT. As I say, I just don't like it when we use one United player's success as a stick to beat another with, often undeservedly.
Spot on, just turned 20 two months ago and people are acting like his career is over.

I think 1 of Wilson's biggest problems and why he has looked quiet in a lot of his first team games is that he was always far too good for whatever level he played at in youth football so got a bit used to being able to pick and choose his moments of when to actually show his talent. He could be invisible for most of a game and then beat half the team with a run or just decide to take over and end up with a hat trick. He hasn't really gotten used to having to work for goals or involve himself more in general play to work himself into games. He hasn't played a huge amount for Brighton but the few times I've seen him he looks to be trying to get more involved in general play and trying to link more with his team mates which is encouraging. If he could just get over his injury and illness problems and actually get a run of games he has the ability to have a brilliant career
I still remember that match against City where we were losing and he just decided to score 4 goals. He was literally unstoppable at times for the youth teams. He has got all the talent, he just needs the senior experience. He has looked impressive every time I've watched Brighton even if he isn't scoring. I just hope he can get over the injuries.

SSSSnake

From that clip I forgot how quick Wilson is. Let's just hope he can stay injury free and get some minutes to build on. How fantastic would it be to have these two coming through to the first team.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Rashford and Welbecks former trainer:

"Marcus has far more pace than Danny ever had"
I like the sound of that but it really sounds ridiculous. Far more? Talking Bolt-level here.

Swaters16

I like the sound of that but it really sounds ridiculous. Far more? Talking Bolt-level here.
Well, pace works in fine margins and if you were a second faster over 100 metres for example, you would be significantly faster than someone else

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

I would certainly say so.

He kept up with Bellerin in a straight line and nearly blasted passed Koscielny on the outside - that alone surprises me massively as I didn't realise he had that sort of pace.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
I would certainly say so.

He kept up with Bellerin in a straight line and nearly blasted passed Koscielny on the outside - that alone surprises me massively as I didn't realise he had that sort of pace.
Well yeah, but Welbeck is very very fast, especially over distance. I'm not buying it. If Rashers is faster it must be marginal.

jb8521

Watching his interview with Carrick, I was surprised how short he was. Out on the field I thought he was 6'1" or so, but Carrick was a good couple of inches taller so Rashford must only be 5'10" or at most 5'11".
Carrick probably still had his boots on

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Watching his interview with Carrick, I was surprised how short he was. Out on the field I thought he was 6'1" or so, but Carrick was a good couple of inches taller so Rashford must only be 5'10" or at most 5'11".
Looks about six feet next to carrick's 6-2

Brightonian

Yep, that's a really good point. I really became aware of him when he came into that U18 side featuring Daehli, Januzaj, Pearson, Rothwell et al and I've never really seen him make his job look anything other than completely effortless. Then again, I actually thought at times in his stop-start first-team outings he was giving the same impression. I mean, he was failing to score at a time when Rooney, Van Persie, Falcao and Di Maria were also failing to score, but he was also running past defenders for fun once every five minutes. I found it kind of staggering how underwhelmed people on here were just because he didn't score enough goals. For all that Rashford, for comparison, has done remarkably well, three out of four of his actual goals were must-score chances, scarcely more than tap-ins. Wilson did things that only a very gifted player can do, let alone an eighteen or nineteen year old, whatever he was at that age. And he'd have had a hatful of assists if Rooney, Fellaini and Falcao (these just off the top of my head) had put in some very simple chances he created for them.

So while I agree that effectively finding things difficult for the first time ever at first team level could be a problem for him, I don't think it actually has been yet, necessarily. His problem was that he was playing in a struggling team for odd half-games here and there, and at a time when fans had little patience for youngsters getting run-outs, and just wanted to see expensive stars like RVP, Falcao and Di Maria doing what they were paid to do.

Riz

Looks like I'm one of the few that doesn't agree withe playing him out wide right just to accomodate Martial. The most impressive part of his game has been his predatory instinct in and around the 6 yard box, so for me if he plays then it has to be as the striker. Otherwise we'll get caught in the trap that England do where we field our best individuals rather than the best team.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I didnt think he offered much against Arsenal either. Looks tired today and it is understandable. Hes still learning. I would take him off for Lingard and Martial up front.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He's looking like the right sided version of Martial. Basically you should buy a new Striker.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
As soon as we managed to get him the ball he's caused trouble. Best player in the second half, did more on the right in few minutes than Martial did all night.

Fer

I didnt think he offered much against Arsenal either. Looks tired today and it is understandable. Hes still learning. I would take him off for Lingard and Martial up front.
Maybe, but I would give him a bit more of time.

JP77

Best player on the pitch bar possibly De Gea for me. Worked his ass off even when he didn't have much to feed on from the support around him. Looked good almost everytime he got himself onto the ball and constantly threatening. His work rate is fantastic.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Very good on the right tonight! That's a position that should be very much up for grabs as well, so hopefully he'll keep getting chances. I thought he worked very hard centrally as well. Even if there wasn't a lot happening, he kept turning up and making himself a nuisance, so all in all one of our better players tonight as far as I'm concerned.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Martial up front and Rashford on the right.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
anyway, some nice bright play from him at times... somewhat subdued. can't help but wonder how tired he is from football, homework, perhaps getting trouble with his parents, etc. there's a lot to deal with when you're 18.

Status
Not open for further replies.