Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's a bit premature right now, but if Rashford keeps his form up, could he make a late surge for the England Euro squad?
He has a chance if he keeps this form up, but I hope he doesn't make the England squad. It would be too soon for him and it could harm his development.

The media hype would go into over drive, like they did with Theo and look what happened there. I would rather he get a rest and proper pre-season instead.

ottosec

Best thing about last night is that he showed he can play on the right. We can start all our best attacking players if he plays on the right. :drool:

His pace is insane, surely the fastest player in our squad.

Ventura

The ridiculous part is that the press asked him about it. Hodgson just said he won't rule him in or out, and I think it would be pretty weird for the national manager to announce that a player has no chance of making it. That doesn't mean he has a good chance to be selected either. He just gave the only answer he could there.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
The ridiculous part is that the press asked him about it. Hodgson just said he won't rule him in or out, and I think it would be pretty weird for the national manager to announce that a player has no chance of making it. That doesn't mean he has a good chance to be selected either. He just gave the only answer he could there.
He went on to further say that pressure shouldn't be put on a player, etc.

He's not making the squad. In any case, it's the most solid group of English strikers in a long time. Vardy, Kane, Rooney and Welbeck. No place for Rashford in there.

NoPace

Few posters on here were saying how he's similar to Hernandez the other day, in that he's a good poacher but hasn't showed great technical ability.

I think he murdered that theory yesterday. Great runs from out wide. Its great having an effective right winger.
He's already better at linking play with his back to goal than Chicharito was. Tidy with short flicks to anyone running near him.

I don't think he'll be a right winger. Players like him don't really play there anymore.

I can't really think of a really effective attacker in Europe who is at their best on the same wing as their strong foot. It seems to be obsolete. Nobody at Barca, Bayern or Real does it. Bellarabi plays on the right normally, but maybe he'd be even better on the left cutting in. And he's more good than great. Atletico use Koke on the right but he'd basically just a playmaker standing out wide like Milan or Madrid Beckham (young, faster Beckham was more a normal winger).

If Rashford keeps looking this good, I think it'll be Martial, Memphis and Rashford as the 3 players we need covering the 9 and LW positions and we will still need to sign a left-footed to play on the right like Bale, Griezmann or Mahrez. And Januzaj (also a 10 option) and Lingard will be fighting to win the spot as that player's backup.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

He's already better at linking play with his back to goal than Chicharito was. Tidy with short flicks to anyone running near him.

I don't think he'll be a right winger. Players like him don't really play there anymore.

I can't really think of a really effective attacker in Europe who is at their best on the same wing as their strong foot. It seems to be obsolete. Nobody at Barca, Bayern or Real does it. Bellarabi plays on the right normally, but maybe he'd be even better on the left cutting in. And he's more good than great. Atletico use Koke on the right but he'd basically just a playmaker standing out wide like Milan or Madrid Beckham (young, faster Beckham was more a normal winger).

If Rashford keeps looking this good, I think it'll be Martial, Memphis and Rashford as the 3 players we need covering the 9 and LW positions and we will still need to sign a left-footed to play on the right like Bale, Griezmann or Mahrez. And Januzaj (also a 10 option) and Lingard will be fighting to win the spot as that player's backup.
Douglas Costa plays LW while being left-footed. Griezmann was mainly used as a Left winger for Real Sociedad.

Don't know about Rashford, too early to make a decision about best position imo, although he seems great at sniffing out chances in the box.

NoPace

Douglas Costa plays LW while being left-footed. Griezmann was mainly used as a Left winger for Real Sociedad.

Don't know about Rashford, too early to make a decision about best position imo, although he seems great at sniffing out chances in the box.
I'd note that Griezmann has improved since moving centrally and that we don't really know yet how he would do if given extend time on the right.

Costa is doing well on the left, it's true. I think he's the type of tiny, quick player who could maybe play almost or as effectively on his same side wing. Someone like Navas was effective doing so at Sevilla. If you're not going to be a real threat to cut in and score, then sure.

But there's a reason Neymar is on the left, Messi on the right, Robben on the right and Ribery was on the left before injuries got him, Ronaldo and Bale the same and Hazard and Sanchez have become left-wingers. It just seems to work better.

I basically agree with your 2nd paragraph, though. Way too early to say about Rashford (and probably Martial too. Only Memphis looks fixed at LW). But I'd rank RW as likely to be his 3rd best position behind 9 and LW in some order, based on what I've seen, his physical profile (not short and his pace seems relatively better over long distances rather than over short ones, unlike someone like Pereira who is quick over 3-5 yards but not over 15-20) and trends in football.

We need players to rotate anyways. Martial, Memphis and Rashford covering 2 spots (LW and 9) would be more than enough games for all 3, considering we'll be back in Europe next year (if only on Thursdays).

XdanielredX

Everything is genuinely stacked up in his favour to be a hero/legend and potential captain at United.

Not wanting to go overboard but just pointing out all the factors are there.

Fantastic Ability.
Attacking Flair.
Youngster.
Came through the academy.
Local lad.
Fan of Manchester United.

It's all there for him to be a legend at this club.... go and take it...

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I'd sub him at half time. Hold-up play's not his strength and that's what we need at the moment. Time for Memphis.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Invisible while he was up front. When he was first moved out to the right he had a nice 5 minute period but then has been quiet again since then.

Give him another 10 minutes or so then if nothing much is happening for him bring on Memphis.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
That's one way to destroy his confidence. Look at Memphis after he kept getting subbed. He should get a bit more time, he is dangerous with his dribbling. Just not seeing enough of the ball.
Keeping him on when he's seeing so little of the ball and is required to do things he's not so great at (aerial play, hold-up play, defending) does nothing to boost his confidence.

Obiorahking_

he is dangerous with his dribbling. Just not seeing enough of the ball.
Dribbling? He looks so awkward when he is trying to take players on. He can make some smart fakes here and there but I wouldn't consider dribbling one of his fortes.

Obiorahking_

He needs to come off the field. He is such a waste of space out there on the right.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Think it's time to take him out of the team. Great talent but it's time to take a step back with him.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Mata going off ruined his game, he needed his supply.
He should have been taken off immediately on Mata's sending off. In fact, he should not have started the game. He was pretty ineffective against Watford and likewise today even when we had 11 players on the pitch.

El Jefe

I think most of us knew his period of being effective in the side wouldn't last long. It was simply a 'Macheda' moment(s).

That's not to say he will follow the Macheda route or saying he isn't talented, its just that he's not ready for this level yet imo. Once the surprise element wears off being a centre forward in the premier league let alone Manchester United is an extremely tall order especially as an 18yo.

He should continue his development in the reserves and have a championship loan next season.

ottosec

He was poor, but to be fair to the kid, he's played 4 games in 10 days.

El Zoido

Messi wouldn't even score in this team.

Rashford would have buried the chance Rondon had for his goal, but you need to actually supply your strikers if you expect them to score.

Obiorahking_

He should have been taken off immediately on Mata's sending off. In fact, he should not have started the game. He was pretty ineffective against Watford and likewise today even when we had 11 players on the pitch.
I second this. It is time to return to reality and send him back down.

Needs to go to the bench and start getting 30 minutes here and there. Hes too far along to go back to the reserves but he cant be expected to lead the line every week at his age.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Needs to go to the bench and start getting 30 minutes here and there. Hes too far along to go back to the reserves but he cant be expected to lead the line every week at his age.
He has played 4 games, he isn't even close to being too far along to go back to reserves. He has done absolutely nothing at reserve level yet and has loads to learn which he can do in the u21s. There are better and more developed players in ours and other clubs u21s.

khoazany

Not a game for him.He couldn't yet to take the game by his own in a disjointed attack especially when you play with 10 men.

WyoManU

Forget the hype and a couple games with goals. Yes, he is young and has a lot to learn, but let's be honest...he didn't even participate in the game today. This is professional sports and if you make that stage you have to be judged fairly.

m1y2

you cant really judge him by this game. I think he will still be confident enough to start next game . if he fails to impress next game when we actually play with 11 men than bench him..

He has played 4 games, he isn't even close to being too far along to go back to reserves. He has done absolutely nothing at reserve level yet and has loads to learn which he can do in the u21s. There are better and more developed players in ours and other clubs u21s.
It doesn't matter how old he is or how far along he is, if hes good enough he is good enough. He's played 4 games and been good in 3 of them. He deserves to stay in the 1st team for a while yet.

Varun

Staff
Memphis for him as soon as Mata was sent off or even at HT must have been one of the most obvious substitutions in the history of mankind.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I can only hope that he doesn't play long enough under Van Gaal for him to ruin him... either by overplaying him, ruining his confidence or making him regress as a footballer.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
It doesn't matter how old he is or how far along he is, if hes good enough he is good enough. He's played 4 games and been good in 3 of them. He deserves to stay in the 1st team for a while yet.
I never said how old he is and how far along he is, is very important as he isn't good enough yet and he can still learn a lot from u21 football. He was hardly involved against Watford or WBA. Just like every other talented young player he can play for the u21s and be involved with the first team.

Status
Not open for further replies.