Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
If we're sticking with wingers in the next game, he should be starting over Sterling.

Borden

His touch and dribbling are wayward at times and show that he is - unsurprisingly - still a work in progress. But good cameo nonetheless, unafraid and unfazed, demanding the ball at every opportunity, and plays his team mates into good positions. Should definitely be ahead of Sterling and Lallana.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
I think you are confusing his technical ability with his dribbling mate. That does look rash at times. Technically, he seems fine, maybe not brilliant, but definitely above his peers I'd say. Having a few poor first touches etc is pretty much expected at his age.
Control first touch and dribbling are the main parts of technical ability.

His control is poor, his dribbling reliant on pace and his first touch is erratic. I'm not sitting on the guy, just pointing out areas he needs to improve in to be world class.

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I also think that Rashord is good with the ball at his feet. Love watching how those pair of long legs get around the ball, change of direction happens instantly. Throughout the match he kept his act together, no problems whatsoever, just playing and enjoying the game. There're different kind of strikers out there, in my view Rashord is fine coming on and occupying the wing. Roy doesn't always get it right these days but today he was spot on, credit where credit is due, imo.

I will be left speecheless if Mourinho doesn't work his magic on Rashford. Even Balo was scoring goals for the Portuguese, just take a second and think of what he can do with Rashford. Glory, glory days! :drool:

Yagami

Good post resistant
Strange comparison.
I admit it probably is strange and I might be the only one who thinks this, but the way he goes about his play just reminds me of Tevez. His willingness to press opponents and work for the team, his tenacity in running at players and never backing out of a challenge, the way he uses his body to hold off opposition players, even the way he strikes the ball all remind me of Tevez.

I just recently watched our 07-08 season review a month or so ago, and seeing Tevez play there just made me think of Rashford, too.

Reactions: Invictus

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
This may be an unpopular opinion but I think he is very poor technically. His dribbling awkward and more hoof and chase, his first touch is too heavy a lot of the time, he seems to trip over himself and lose track of the ball and he always gets the ball tangled in his feet when he does stepovers. Great finisher though
Agreed. He is raw and weak with technique and at dribbling. Those need to be improved upon.

Good points? Very instinctive player who is always a second ahead in thought of the other players around him, is obviously very fast, he passes very accurately, is good with layoffs and one-twos, is a brilliant finisher and has excellent movement in the final third.

JackXX

Is everybody in this thread on drugs? He isn't technically brilliant. Infestation is technically brillicit, not Rashford. He clearly needs to improve on the technical side of his game. The rest is already there.
Think you are nitpicking tbh.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Agreed. He is raw and weak with technique and at dribbling. Those need to be improved upon.

Good points? Very instinctive player who is always a second ahead in thought of the other players around him, is obviously very fast, he passes very accurately, is good with layoffs and one-twos, is a brilliant finisher and has excellent movement in the final third.
This is pretty much my assessment of Rashford.

No need for Akash to get all uppity about it because I didn't tow the line to suck Rashfords dick.

Norris

His control is poor, his dribbling reliant on pace and his first touch is erratic. I'm not sitting on the guy, just pointing out areas he needs to improve in to be world class.
They are not the only parts which goes into defining technical ability either. And usually dribbling is never paired with Technique. For example Scholes had excellent technique, heavenly, but would you say he was a good dribbler ?

That's why I just think you've intertwined the two variables. His dribbling can do with improvement, I agree and yeah some of his first touches can be a little loose as well, I won't deny that, but his ability to lay off a ball (like those lovely flicks he likes to do) or strike a ball (I think it was the Villa game was it where he struck one on the half volley ?) should be considered as part of his technical ability as well and they are really good for his age group. Sturridge fluffed his lines today trying a half volley as well and he's considered as someone with excellent technical ability and he's much older than Rashford. So it happens, hardly a surprise that he's not perfect. Rashford could do with improving his jumping abilities as well, despite being somewhat tall if he's going to play as a striker especially.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Of course the guy who thinks Willian is crap would say that. Get over yourself.
Great come back:rolleyes:

Very poor technically, poor dribbler, heavy first touch, trips over himself and loses track of the ball. I don't know who that is (Falcao?) but it most certainly is not Marcus Rashford. What a load of shite.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
They are not the only parts which goes into defining technical ability either. And usually dribbling is never paired with Technique. For example Scholes had excellent technique, heavenly, but would you say he was a good dribbler ?

That's why I just think you've intertwined the two variables. His dribbling can do with improvement, I agree and yeah some of his first touches can be a little loose as well, I won't deny that, but his ability to lay off a ball (like those lovely flicks he likes to do) or strike a ball (I think it was the Villa game was it where he struck one on the half volley ?) should be considered as part of his technical ability as well and they are really good for his age group. Sturridge fluffed his lines today trying a half volley as well and he's considered as someone with excellent technical ability and he's much older than Rashford. So it happens, hardly a surprise that he's not perfect. Rashford could do with improving his jumping abilities as well, despite being somewhat tall if he's going to play as a striker especially.
Rashford reminds me of Muller. Seems very awkward on the ball.

I'm not denying his shooting, layoffs and flicks aren't good. Just don't think his control, first touch and dribbling are.

RedRazor

on the radio
Is everybody in this thread on drugs? He isn't technically brilliant. Infestation is technically brillicit, not Rashford. He clearly needs to improve on the technical side of his game. The rest is already there.
He does need to improve his technique, and I would expect he will over time. Can't think of many eighteen year olds that don't have to improve. He does have solid technical foundations to build on though. When he may stumble on the ball, or misjudge a dribble, I think it's more down to youthful exuberance, and his desire to get going rather than clumsiness or lack of technique. His judgement will only get better, and then we will see an even better Rashford. Fantastic prospect, wouldn't be surprised if he went on to be one of the worlds best, and we will be behind him all the way.

macheda14

There were many points this season where he showed his dribbling to be very proficient - mirroring the martial dribble past a defender to the byline and lay it back. I think he more tries to much at times rather than being a bad dribbler. His control I think is a mixture of slight nerves and him coming to terms with his size

Norris

Rashford reminds me of Muller. Seems very awkward on the ball.

I'm not denying his shooting, layoffs and flicks aren't good. Just don't think his control, first touch and dribbling are.
That's an interesting comparison.

And ffs, I typed so much, and you comeback with what you said in the first post. I'm not discussing with you anymore. :mad: :p.
Yeah, there are aspects of his game which he needs to work on, hopefully, we will see improvements on them.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
He's spot on. Toothless player who has an inflated reputation because of a very brief purple patch on Free-kicks. Been dreadful since Jose's sacking.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Great come back:rolleyes:

Very poor technically, poor dribbler, heavy first touch, trips over himself and loses track of the ball. I don't know who that is (Falcao?) but it most certainly is not Marcus Rashford. What a load of shite.
I'm not going to get into childish insults with you. Nor am I going to arrogantly insult people's posts because they disagree with me.

Its not a load of shit. I have seen him multiple times trip over the ball and nock it out of play. I have also seen his heavy touches, miscontrol the ball and over hit it when dribbling with the ball. In my opinion he needs to improve those areas of his game.

Stop acting like your opinion is fact and maybe differing opinions won't upset you so much.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
That's an interesting comparison.

And ffs, I typed so much, and you comeback with what you said in the first post. I'm not discussing with you anymore. :mad: :p.
Yeah, there are aspects of his game which he needs to work on, hopefully, we will see improvements on them.
Scholes wasn't very fast and had poor agility so couldn't beat a man. His dribbling and control when dribbling was still impeccable.

Sturridge has quite poor shooting techniquemail. He scuffs the ball a lot and struggles to get power on it. His finishing is good though.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I'm not going to get into childish insults with you. Nor am I going to arrogantly insult people's posts because they disagree with me.

Its not a load of shit. I have seen him multiple times trip over the ball and nock it out of play. I have also seen his heavy touches, miscontrol the ball and over hit it when dribbling with the ball. In my opinion he needs to improve those areas of his game.

Stop acting like your opinion is fact and maybe differing opinions won't upset you so much.
Needing to improve on areas was a reasonable and obvious opinion. He's only 18 after all albeit one of the best young talents in the world. Making him out to be someone akin Titus Bramble playing up top is a preposterous opinion and deserves ridicule. Sorry if that offends you but it's true.

As for childish insults, I didn't bring up Willian in an shit attempt to do...not sure what was intended there tbh. Willian is hugely overrated after all and currently leading Brazil to glory.

Fortis Mente

What a load of rubbish. For an 18 year old, his control, first touch and dribbling were mostly fantastic last season.

red4ever 79

Congratulations to Rashford on his debut in an official tournament. It was interesting to see him in the 'Martial' role. He skinned the lb a couple of times and showed good close control. Looked a threat.

Norris

Scholes wasn't very fast and had poor agility so couldn't beat a man. His dribbling and control when dribbling was still impeccable.

Sturridge has quite poor shooting techniquemail. He scuffs the ball a lot and struggles to get power on it. His finishing is good though.
Scholes was just bloody clever. He knew how to beat a man even when he didn't he have the legs to do so. And I don't think he was as slow at the start of his career (Though I was not a United fan back then). But if you put him on the wing (I think he played there for England didn't he?), he'd probably struggle beating his marker. It doesn't make him a good dribbler though, just a really clever player.

I'd disagree. Sturridge has good technique. He was excellent in the Slippy G season technically and even after that (Though that wasn't much). He's just a very selfish player and he wants to do everything himself. If he was bit more of a team player, you'd not doubt his technical ability, but that would mean that he wouldn't be as ruthless in front of goal.

Litch

Honestly I'm not sure what people are watching at times. Technically very, very good. Think about what your watching, 18 years old. Look at the technique of the goals in big games he scored. Look at his link up play. I thought today he was obviously nervous but some of the touches were very classy. Let's celebrate the fact that's he English and here rather that pick the bones out his game at this point of his development.

Vilev

He was bright enough, sure ending product was not really there, but it's not like he is winger actually, so he was playing in the foreign position on the left. But he hardly was worse than Sterling, i mean whatever Sterling did, Rashford did as well. Only i think if Rashford will have a chance in the center, as Sterling did, he is more likely to score.
So actually all things being equal, i think it a good move to start him on the left next time. Especially if we England will have like Vardy as a CF or Sturridge, because those two can go wide more often than Kane and open central space for LWF and RWF. And if Rashford will play this LWF switching with Vardy, moving inside to be this fox in the box he is, he can be very dangerous. More dangerous than any other option we have on the left in attack.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
If the choice is between starting Sterling or Rashford, it's the latter all day long.

Rossa

Not the pace. Was talking about how he gets past defenders more easily. Of course Kane is 22 and I have no idea how good he was at 18. Rashford seems to be clumsy in comparison however he actually can dribble past players (he did it once today too like martial does)
It's a lot easier to look smooth at slow motion. Berbatov looked awesome when "running" but it's a terrible comparison. Kane doesn't use pace at all when dribbling because he doesn't have any. You must compare Rashford with other speedsters. He could work on his balance, but that will come in time. He's no young Giggs, but there aren't any of his mould anymore.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If the choice is between starting Sterling or Rashford, it's the latter all day long.
Definitely. I'd play him over Sturridge too if it's a wide role - I don't think Sturridge is disciplined or quick enough anymore to start out wide. His goalthreat should be a first choice sub upfront, or as a right forward as he was today when we need a goal.

FromTheBench

He is bit strange technically to describe. Will have some clumsy touches. Some ungainly dribbling attempts in between but then there are occasions where he would pull off a incredible set of moves all together which make you go woah look at that.

Actually a young cristiano Rinaldo was quite similar.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
What sets him apart is his composure for me. Just looks at ease at the top level which results in him not needing a lot of time to decide what he wants to do with the ball. His dribbling can, at times, be a bit "hopeful" rather than completely in control, but his touch, awareness, intelligence and positioning are really good for a teenager.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Not a fan of those joga bonito reels but this is fecking great, I would probably tear my meniscus if I tried that.
I'd end up doing the impossible and end up kneeing myself in the balls.

Loublaze

ATLien
This may be an unpopular opinion but I think he is very poor technically. His dribbling awkward and more hoof and chase, his first touch is too heavy a lot of the time, he seems to trip over himself and lose track of the ball and he always gets the ball tangled in his feet when he does stepovers. Great finisher though
He's still raw and makes some wrong decisions with the ball sometimes. I agree about the hoof and chase part as i've observed it on a few occasions where he basically ran the ball out of the field. He is very skillful though and he'll only get better with age. He also has great vision, with his interplay and little flicks to teammates that usually always come off

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's still raw and makes some wrong decisions with the ball sometimes. I agree about the hoof and chase part as i've observed it on a few occasions where he basically ran the ball out of the field. He is very skillful though and he'll only get better with age. He also has great vision, with his interplay and little flicks to teammates that usually always come off
That's all part of experience though. He's so bloody fast that he feels he can outrun everybody, even if it's just a small space. I actually love that he runs at players and commits them, I don't mind that he might lose it every now and again.

Eventually though he will learn when to take people on, or to recycle the ball to keep possession.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Clearly he's not the end product but last seasonhe was playing under 18's and pushing on to under 21's. He's still growing and filling out. It's qiuite unique that we're talking about him playing for England and featuring in the euros. Naturally he is not the finished article but he's shown good composure. His first touch against wales wasn't good but he overcome that and did well

Status
Not open for further replies.