Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
He’s a brainless player. All show without much decision making. He decked up even simple passes last night. And it’s not like this is a one off performance. It’s happened far too often this season.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Wasn't it obvious? The poster said constructive criticism from fans on social media is fine. I disagreed. There's nothing wrong with making inane comments of support if that's your thing, but criticising players online is pointless and inevitably turns toxic.
Inane comments of support are fine but criticizing players is pointless. They're both the same thing to me. It's an opinion being shared on a public platform to people who benefit from having such large amount of followers making such comments. I think its demonstrably false too that criticizing players online inevitably turns toxic. Just look at the twenty odd threads of criticism on the caf for eg. I'm.pretty sure there has been very little toxicity.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I don't know if he was injured or not, I can only judge what I see and if he was indeed injured then it still doesn't excuse the selfishness he consistently displays.
He has talent and is a good player but he needs to realize that he's not some sort of savior or a player who's reached such a level that he can be afforded a certain freedom to do whatever he wishes

hubbuh

Inane comments of support are fine but criticizing players is pointless. They're both the same thing to me. It's an opinion being shared on a public platform to people who benefit from having such large amount of followers making such comments. I think its demonstrably false too that criticizing players online inevitably turns toxic. Just look at the twenty odd threads of criticism on the caf for eg. I'm.pretty sure there has been very little toxicity.
What?! RedCafe can be extremely toxic, the difference is this place has diligent moderators, a sense of community and a newbie system that quickly stamps out the really overt, nasty stuff. On Twitter it multiplies and festers and creates an extremely toxic environment which is why you get racist abuse of players whenever they play bad. It's a complete joke and more needs to be done about it.

Of course they aren't the same thing ffs. Have you completely missed this nationwide campaign to stamp out racist abuse online?

LoneStar

I can't really blame him. He was playing shit the whole game, but was not subbed off. No player will ever ask tobe subbed off.

But his performance was abysmal. Please get Sancho at this point.

Drizzle

He's clearly tired. Mentally as much as physically. That moment when we lost the ball in attack and 34 year old Cavani sprints past a stationary Rashford to chase back into defence....

The injury excuse must have some basis. In which case he has been failed by the club and by Ole. I honestly think Fergie would have rested him for a few weeks during the season. But Ole relies on him, and we know how inflexible Ole is on these things. But all this could shorten his career. Somebody needs to sort this out, now. Almost two seasons of limping around.

I don't think it's just injury. He looks burnt out and low on confidence. No doubt related to the injuries which has perhaps sapped the joy and confidence out of his game.

And perhaps the political stuff has sapped his mental energy and focus too. Let's be honest here - that sort of constant campaigning demands a lot of focus and attention. Elite footballers live on fine margins, it only takes a dip of 1 or 2% and they suddenly look ineffective.

Finally, we may have to recalibrate our expectations for him. Maybe he's not world class, but he's clearly a very good young footballer who's become a proven goalscorer. Too much pressure has been put on him. I'm proud of the fact he's a local youngster who is United through and through. Let's see if proper management, rest, and investment elsewhere in the squad can bring him out of his stagnation. Compassion please, people.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
What?! RedCafe can be extremely toxic, the difference is this place has diligent moderators, a sense of community and a newbie system that quickly stamps out the really overt, nasty stuff. On Twitter it multiplies and festers and creates an extremely toxic environment which is why you get racist abuse of players whenever they play bad. It's a complete joke and more needs to be done about it.

Of course they aren't the same thing ffs. Have you completely missed this nationwide campaign to stamp out racist abuse online?
You're moving the goalposts. You said "criticising players online is pointless and inevitably turns toxic". We weren't talking about racist abuse or how Twitter is worse than than the caf. Criticism of public people on public platforms is completely normal just as praising them is.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He needs to improve on the mental side of his game. You could see last night he was super nervous and started trying way too hard which meant he did daft things. He should have been taken off but it was an issue throughout the whole game. He has all the physical attributes to be a top player and that’s demonstrated in his stats but he just needs that extra tweak to his mental game that can see him be more consistent.

Sylar

Constructive Criticism is fair game but racial abuse is disgusting and should be dealt with full force of Law.
Social media doesn't care (I have a feeling they are happy with it happening as sad as that sounds)

Sylar

He needs to improve on the mental side of his game. You could see last night he was super nervous and started trying way too hard which meant he did daft things. He should have been taken off but it was an issue throughout the whole game. He has all the physical attributes to be a top player and that’s demonstrated in his stats but he just needs that extra tweak to his mental game that can see him be more consistent.
He needs a break too, a big break which he won't get unless we give him the first month and a half off next season.
He will play euros then for United then world Cup?

We haven't managed him well and that might be due to the options we have. We aren't in a position like city where we can take him out and the quality of the first team remains the same or improves

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He needs a break too, a big break which he won't get unless we give him the first month and a half off next season.
He will play euros then for United then world Cup?

We haven't managed him well and that might be due to the options we have. We aren't in a position like city where we can take him out and the quality of the first team remains the same or improves
That too for sure. You and England burn him and Maguire out.

Godfather

Yesterday wasn't a one off though. His stats look decent but he didn't have a good game in months. He just was even worse than usually.

led_scholes

He is a good player. We just have to accept (himself too) that he will not become world class or even a top top player. For about 20 minutes he was actually walking in the pitch. Then Ole decided to sub Greenwood. Speechless..

Silverman

Great post match interview tbf.
He wasn't good enough, that's obvious but I'm confident we'll see a better Rashford next year.

hubbuh

Fair enough but do you then think Footballers are beyond Reproach because it seems that's what you are suggesting.
I think they are beyond reproach when it comes to fans criticising/abusing them on social media. This argument that it comes with the territory of being a celebrity is what enables toxic, racist environments to manifest online. People discussing the game via social media and whatever is fine, but directly messaging footballers isn't done with the intention of pointing out what aspects of their game they need to improve on (which would also be fecking ridiculous and pathetic) but is done to tear them down and attack them. Rashford has just received a feckload of racial abuse online because he had a bad game. Saying "that's life" is fecking stupid.

You're moving the goalposts. You said "criticising players online is pointless and inevitably turns toxic". We weren't talking about racist abuse or how Twitter is worse than than the caf. Criticism of public people on public platforms is completely normal just as praising them is.
Criticising footballers online following a bad game isn't constructive or helpful and contributes to the toxic, racist environment that always sets in. It's too easy to hide behind the anonymity that weirdos online won't "constructively criticise" but will take it further and will racially abuse people.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I think they are beyond reproach when it comes to fans criticising/abusing them on social media. This argument that it comes with the territory of being a celebrity is what enables toxic, racist environments to manifest online. People discussing the game via social media and whatever is fine, but directly messaging footballers isn't done with the intention of pointing out what aspects of their game they need to improve on (which would also be fecking ridiculous and pathetic) but is done to tear them down and attack them. Rashford has just received a feckload of racial abuse online because he had a bad game. Saying "that's life" is fecking stupid.

Criticising footballers online following a bad game isn't constructive or helpful and contributes to the toxic, racist environment that always sets in. It's too easy to hide behind the anonymity that weirdos online won't "constructively criticise" but will take it further and will racially abuse people.
Racial abuse online or otherwise is a completely separate thing to criticism.It is a criminal act and can be pursued legally if I'm.not mistaken. I think it's not helpful to combine the two though I recognize that in a few cases one can lead to the other. Rashford for example said he got about 80 racially abusive messages last night. This is out of presumably about 10,000 messages posted on his social media of which I would guess about 30% were probably "criticisms " Whats wrong with a rival fan going on his social media and taking the piss out of him. It's not constructive or helpful to the player I agree but that is not the metric we use to allow behavior. 90% of stuff on the caf is probably not constructive or helpful either but it serves it's own purpose to the people that post and comment. I understand and share your concerns about anonymity on social media and the behavior it can encourage however there is level of negative opinions that is completely normal and arguably healthy for all public figures.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
I think missing the euros would do wonders for him but that just won’t happen. I genuinely don’t feel Rashford will start for England. I think that’s a good thing. United need him more than England right now.

Atrocious. Didn't want it. Enough blaming his injuries. He can chase the ball down but he jogs when he needs to chase a player.

Ole should have seen it and hauled him off and whatever is wrong with him he needs to fix it over the summer.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
I want to give him the benefit of the doubt because of who he is but in terms of last night’s performance it was bottom of the barrel stuff.

At least he scored his penalty when it looked for all the world that he’d be the one to miss.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Worse performance I've seen from a United player in a final. Besides scoring his penalty he was totally shit, lost count on how many balls he lost and how many times he didn't tracked back after losing it.

He seems untouchable by Ole, I still can't believe Greenwood went out after having a good game to keep Rashford, it's beyond my understanding.
Greenwood was absolutely tanked when he was subbed because unlike Rashford, he actually did some tracking back as well. Its still mind boggling that Rashford lasted the entire game though

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
If he is injured and that was behind his performance last night, then taking him to the Euros instead of getting it fixed would be an insult to whoever gets left out.

Idxomer

His problem is he's not a natural footballer, he's a great athlete with a fantastic pace but most of what he does is manufactured.

There's no originality in his game. He hasn't been well drilled and coached in the last few years to get him to the next level and make the most of his athleticism. He's one of the last players in our squad who should be left to their own whims.

This season is as good as it gets with him under Ole and that's why he shouldn't be more than a squad player.

gorky_utd

He wants to play for Madrid and Barca. Safe to say none of them will be interested in him.

Red00012

I want to give him the benefit of the doubt because of who he is but in terms of last night’s performance it was bottom of the barrel stuff.

At least he scored his penalty when it looked for all the world that he’d be the one to miss.
Agreed

Andersons Dietician

It does feel like Ole bottled the decision to drop him and used Fred with a knock as an excuse. We have Matic for a reason. No doubt it would have been a huge call to drop him but he has been off the boil for over a month now and the truth is Pogba and Greenwood have been better over that period of time.

Would also have given Ole someone dangerous to bring on. Last night however all the worst aspects of Rashfords game were on display. Not passing, making poor decisions, always looking to shoot when there are better options.

I do think if we get Sancho in this summer and Greenwood continues as he is then Rashford is surely going to find himself on the bench. I think the most annoying thing about Rashford is you can see he could be something special but right now he just looks like he won’t get there until someone breaks through to him and gets it in his head it’s a team game.

On the interview, props to him he is a great speaker.

El Jefe

Give a good player the keys to a great club and this is what happens.

Rashford should be seen as part of a team not the answer. He just isn't as good as he and Ole think he is. He is Lukaku is his own way. Lukaku had great stats in Jose's first season but clearly wasn't good enough to be the man to lead us to where we want to go, Rashford is no different.

He's a top player on form but he needs competition for his place immediately. Ole has inflated his ego and has rewarded poor performances with guaranteed starts. The loyalty shown to Rashford should be reserved for world class players only.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I think there is a player there. But a combination of injuries, burn out and then his off the field "politics" are really hurting him.

What he needs now is a rest, which he wont get.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I think missing the euros would do wonders for him but that just won’t happen. I genuinely don’t feel Rashford will start for England. I think that’s a good thing. United need him more than England right now.
He shouldnt as he has been poor for months.

Our manager just wont admit it and drop him

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I think that was the worst performance I've seen from Marcus. Exceptionally bad. I'm a huge fan of his, but that was piss poor stuff. He could've been hooked off in the first half, to be honest.

Zlatattack

I hope he gets dropped from the England squad. He's out of form and desperately in need of a physical and mental break.

Darlington Padgett

Can't see him starting if we bring Sancho. Greenwood looks like twice the player at the moment.
The problem with Rashford is that we expected him to be the next Ronaldo but his ceiling is Nani in my opinión. Nani was an excellent player on his day, but his decision making was horrible at times.

kirk buttercup

Please leave my club
what ? I take it you are joking ? I think he has been Fairly bad for a while now but leave the club ? He is probably carrying an injury ,We need higher Quality player so he can be rested and we can rotate players much more frequently, He also could be suffering from burnout with such expectations on him . its a big dip in form but I think that is all it is. With competition for places and rest he can get back to being very good. At the moment he can play like he did and still be left on the pitch because of the lack of real options .

Verminator

I'm in no way using this in defence of Rashford, but we have had an incredibly long season, which started a fortnight after the previous one.
Everybody is different, but I would understand if some were suffering mental or physical fatigue.

Now, on to the Euros!

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
It wasn’t all Rashford yesterday, the whole team were lacking. The only one that seemed to have drive was Greenwood but he didn’t produce anything either. Bruno, our captain, was anonymous. We scored a flukey rebound and should’ve probably lost the game in 90 minutes.

Highlighted a need for a stronger core, I think. De Gea was poor again and we should really be looking at another keeper. Centre back and a smart holding midfielder is needed. Ideally a really attack minded winger/forward like Sancho too. It’s a lot but it’s really needed, we’ll just end up being a nearly team like Spurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.