Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevoc

When do you think Schneiderlin put in his request to leave?
Probably late September early October if i had to guess. He's has barely featured since then beyond 5 minutes here and there, don't think he's started a game since mid September. Same with Depay, in fact i think both of them started their last game vs Northampton in the League cup. It's possible after that Jose sat them both down and told them they won't be getting much playing time and both at that point asked to leave.

Based on playing time he must have put it in before the season started as he has played like 20 mins in the premier league all season. It's just not realistic to say that's the sole reason Fellaini is ahead of him because its been that way all season.
It's clear Mourinho doesn't rate him and we will accept a bid for him in this window. We'll see if your predictions on his playing time come true if he ends up staying but there has been nothing this season to indicate it will. But anyways enough of the Schneiderlin chat for me
Read posts carefully mate , i said:

But Fellaini is now ahead of Schneiderlin in the pecking order based solely on the fact Schneiderlin is not being considered as he has asked to leave.
Right now Fellaini is getting picked ahead Schneiderlin simply because Schneiderlin isn't even being considered for a start. At the start of the season Mourinho picked Fellaini ahead of Morgan as the DM. But he has obviously lost faith in Fellaini in that position as Carrick, Herrera and even Bailly have been preferred there when Fellaini is available and two of those players have never even played as a DM before this season. For both those players to be preferred to Fellaini even though he reckons thats his best position says a lot.

If Schneiderlin were being considered for selection i have no doubt in some of the games when Carrick is rested he would be playing DM ahead of Herrera who would stay further up the pitch and certainly Fellaini.

Ashley R1+O

Anyways, this is an incredibly wordy post to get across the point that you want Fellaini sold, just recycles the same opinions and analysis that have been posted a million times.
Yeah, well said. Succinct. A thinly veiled and upscale dig at him that doesn't include the usual gash attempts to be funny.

It is just the usual call to buy some random from a different league in the hope that he'll come in and adapt. I definitely like the fact that Fellaini has proven he can play in all three midfield spots (anchor, MF2 and 10) at various parts of not only his whole career in England but even for us. He might not be the outright starter and gunning all day for that starting berth with his talents or abilities but a lot has to be said about how much of a solid squad option and most importantly not a man-management issue. Seemingly that just gets ignored for one of the myriad of fan-circular paranoid arguments that he's "not what we need guys" so we must get rid. Jose has praised his mentality/drive and that is an important part of Jose cultivating the squad he wants and needs. People are just looking for any inch of an opening to drive the knife in. He's shown he can take it and that he'll even come back from it and give more. I definitely trust Jose on this one.

prath92

Probably late September early October if i had to guess. He's has barely featured since then beyond 5 minutes here and there, don't think he's started a game since mid September. Same with Depay, in fact i think both of them started their last game vs Northampton in the League cup. It's possible after that Jose sat them both down and told them they won't be getting much playing time and both at that point asked to leave.

Read posts carefully mate , i said:

Right now Fellaini is getting picked ahead Schneiderlin simply because Schneiderlin isn't even being considered for a start. At the start of the season Mourinho picked Fellaini ahead of Morgan as the DM. But he has obviously lost faith in Fellaini in that position as Carrick, Herrera and even Bailly have been preferred there when Fellaini is available and two of those players have never even played as a DM before this season. For both those players to be preferred to Fellaini even though he reckons thats his best position says a lot.

If Schneiderlin were being considered for selection i have no doubt in some of the games when Carrick is rested he would be playing DM ahead of Herrera who would stay further up the pitch and certainly Fellaini.
Bailly played there for maybe 6 minutes vs Spurs. And I think on his return from injury. It was very clear that he was played there to give him some minutes. I don't see how you can say Bailly is preferred in that role.

From the start of the season, it was quite clear to anyone watching who mourinho preferred out of Fellaini and Schneiderlin. There's a 0.1% that would have changed even if Schneiderlin didn't want to leave.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Use the search function, son, I'm not your babysitter.
Is this some in-joke I'm unaware of? Cause it seems unlikely you'd be willing to write all that and then unwilling to add the tiniest of elaboration, when requested.

Ashley R1+O

Bailly played there for maybe 6 minutes vs Spurs.
Smalling also has as well. Carrick was injured at the start of the season was he not? Or eased in at the very least, I like that from Jose. Understanding his playing group.

kr0nix

Haha ok buddy
Is this some in-joke I'm unaware of? Cause it seems unlikely you'd be willing to write all that and then unwilling to add the tiniest of elaboration, when requested.
I've noticed that people tend to hold the other midfielders in the squad to a higher standard than Fellaini, on account of their superior talent. Herrera being one of them, as @Invictus mentioned in his OP.
Whereas a couple of common responses to criticism of Fellaini are "He's been better than [insertplayernamehere] at the very least" or "He does his best, that's just not in his skillset". None of which are arguments for his suitability for United.

wc18

Bailly played there for maybe 6 minutes vs Spurs. And I think on his return from injury. It was very clear that he was played there to give him some minutes. I don't see how you can say Bailly is preferred in that role.

From the start of the season, it was quite clear to anyone watching who mourinho preferred out of Fellaini and Schneiderlin. There's a 0.1% that would have changed even if Schneiderlin didn't want to leave.

Yea that was the only point i was trying to get across.

Yea i still am not sure which players are being continuously called out to the point he can't take it any more.
Definitely noted that you can't ask questions or challenge any part of his analysis

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He wouldn't be playing at all if Jose didn't rate him. He can play a part. He's not top tier talent obviously but he's clearly got the managers backing for now and no amount of wishing him out will change that.. he's not going to rock the boat over not playing either. I don't mind him. Imagine lvgs reign without him? He saved us a good few times. He was important no matter how horrible it was to watch or how little we achieved but then again I genuinely don't think LVG or moyes had a clue what they were at to be honest. Not his fault he was signed or where he played when asked though. He was more of an asset when the team was smaller I feel and I'm glad lumping it up to him isn't plan a or even plan b anymore but Jose still likes him. It's obvious.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Yeah, well said. Succinct. A thinly veiled and upscale dig at him that doesn't include the usual gash attempts to be funny.
Hi, goldie!
It is just the usual call to buy some random from a different league in the hope that he'll come in and adapt.
Aye, definitely randoms:

First suggestion is an infinitely better player than Fellaini, and the best player at Villarreal (who're only 5 points behind Barcelona in La Liga).

Second suggestion has been the motor behind RB Leipzig's title challenge in the Bundesliga (much like Kanté was for Leicester), and is arguably the best box-to-box type player in the league after Vidal, apart from being way more mobile than Fellaini:

The third one is among the most highly rated young German midfielders after Weigl (who's coveted by the likes of Madrid) and Dahoud (who turned in this performance vs Barcelona).

All of them are great potential fits ahead of the 6. But I guess critically appreciating supposed randoms is an exercise in futility, and we must never strengthen the team. And it's not like any player in football history has ever adapted to the Premier League, right?

The rest of it - ref. your previous posts on the same issue. But to briefly touch upon your insistence on him being a defensive midfielder at the base of the three, his best performances at club level have come as a forward at Everton where he had tactical freedom instead of being tactically disciplined (which is what is needed at the base - hence Carrick's suitability to the role), and his best performances at United have come as a left sided forward/pseudo midfielder in 2014/15 (when we defeated Tottenham and Manchester City, among others, and he had the most liberty to advance in our midfield trio):

Michael Carrick: Brought some calm to United when they needed it after City’s flying start and then helped play his team back into contention. Calmness personified.

Ander Herrera: Quietly efficient in United’s midfield. Kept the ball moving in tandem with Michael Carrick and allowed others to do the more flamboyant things.

Marouane Fellaini: Another big day for the revitalised Belgian. Booed off in this fixture last season, he was a constant handful for City’s defence and headed United’s second goal.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...nited-4-Manchester-City-2-Player-ratings.html

He does his best work when going up against defenses, instead of being a barrier in front of defense, yet you're adamant he's best suited to a defensive holding role.

prath92

He does his best work when going up against defenses, instead of being a barrier in front of defense, yet you're adamant he's best suited to a defensive holding role.
He also had some excellent games earlier in the season in front of defence. And some good ones in his first season too

Last edited:

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
He also had some excellent games earlier in the season in front of defence. And in his first season too
See this is part of the problem - lowering of standards and subjectivity - excellent how? For me, the bar of excellent for that position is vintage Carrick, or Busquets at Barcelona, Gabi at Atlético, Matić in 2014/15, etc - dominant performances that last. Fellaini played a handful of games at the start of the season, which included this supposedly excellent turnout vs Watford:

And this vs. City where our midfield got overran and De Bruyne ran rings around our defensive midfielder until the introduction of Ander in the second half:

Yes, others also had poor showings (which will be quickly pointed out in a Fellaini thread), but for someone who was excellent, he was exposed time and again. Aside from that - what makes a great defensive midfielder a great defensive midfielder? Foremost among the qualities he should have is a keen sense of positioning and natural defensive nous (which are things Fellaini struggles with). Those qualities are common among all the great defensive midfielders through the years - from Rijkaard to Desailly to Makélélé to Busquets. Infact, forget players of that stature - even good ones have the same common traits at a diminished level. And he doesn't have that set of skills - that's been clear for a while now. He has the physical metrics, but not the natural defensive wherewithal or discipline or technique or foresight for that critical role.

As for his first season, what excellent performances did he have under Moyes? At Etihad vs Yaya, or vs Bayern Munich at Old Trafford when little Lahm physically dominated him? If you're referring to Van Gaal's first season, Fellaini wasn't a defensive midfielder in our best period of form (something that has already been highlighted).

Ashley R1+O

He also had some excellent games earlier in the season in front of defence. And some good ones in his first season too
In Van Gaal's first season he had a couple of really good games. I think he's quite an underrated player in general - not really a true representation of his ability though. I don't particularly think he's a high quality player at all in the grand scheme of things.

Aye, definitely randoms:
If they haven't played in the PL yet it is just a hit and hope signing of which any and every name could be brought up. Weigl, Bender's, Niguez, Garmash, Veratti, I mean just pick one name and throw it out there. They could be good or good be gash but it is a total dice roll, just signing somebody for the sake of wanting somebody out of the club that you don't like. Even dressed up with fancy diagrams and paragraphs of endless droll it still comes back to the same conclusion that getting him out the door and seeing a shiny new toy arrive is more important. etc etc. The long term future of the anchor player is where Jose will move to sign a player and when that happens, when he chooses one I'll still continue to support players until they leave the club. Especially ones that have given for the shirt.

I mean even Schneiderlin (who still in my opinion gave enough for the shirt at the start of last season) had the potential to be a fantastic signing but for whatever reason didn't work out. Fellarni has credit in the bank for his performances and X's and O's that we as fans aren't privy to at Carrington and there is an obvious rapport with three different managers so I am going to continue being fine with Jose sorting it as he see's fit. He obviously has a mental capacity that Jose wants.

Jose could just as easily turf him out of the club when he finds his player that he wants to sign at an instant. Like I said above, the Gaff knows what he's doing.

Last edited:

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Nice try, but I'm not having the same tedious discussions this time around, pal, especially since you rationalize opinions with obtuse arguments like - the manager always knows what he's doing and he likes Fellaini - end of discussion; and trivialize anything more than a superficial discussion with backhanded 'dressed up with fancy diagrams and paragraphs of endless droll' remarks. Totally not worth the effort. You should revisit your old posts on the subject: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/fellaini-what-to-do.392452/

:)

prath92

See this is part of the problem - lowering of standards and subjectivity - excellent how? For me, the bar of excellent for that position is vintage Carrick, or Busquets at Barcelona, Gabi at Atlético, Matić in 2014/15, etc - dominant performances that last. Fellaini played a handful of games at the start of the season, which included this supposedly excellent turnout vs Watford:

And this vs. City where our midfield got overran and De Bruyne ran rings around our defensive midfielder until the introduction of Ander in the second half:

Yes, others also had poor showings (which will be quickly pointed out in a Fellaini thread), but for someone who was excellent, he was exposed time and again. Aside from that - what makes a great defensive midfielder a great defensive midfielder? Foremost among the qualities he should have is a keen sense of positioning and natural defensive nous (which are things Fellaini struggles with). Those qualities are common among all the great defensive midfielders through the years - from Rijkaard to Desailly to Makélélé to Busquets. Infact, forget players of that stature - even good ones have the same common traits at a diminished level. And he doesn't have that set of skills - that's been clear for a while now. He has the physical metrics, but not the natural defensive wherewithal or discipline or technique or foresight for that critical role.

As for his first season, what excellent performances did he have under Moyes? At Etihad vs Yaya, or vs Bayern Munich at Old Trafford when little Lahm physically dominated him? If you're referring to Van Gaal's first season, Fellaini wasn't a defensive midfielder in our best period of form (something that has already been highlighted).
Do you compare everyone to that level? If that's the case, we haven't really had any top performers in midfield this season as none of them are vintage Carrick/ gabi and Matic 14/15 level either. If you read comments from this very thread in his first 3-4 games, you would see that almost everyone was using the exact term of 'excellent'. Sure he is hardly anything compared to makalele and rijkard but then that would be the case if you compare anyone to the prime players in their position. Herrera isn't as good as a prime Keane or vieira, mkhitariyan hasn't been as good as prime Ronaldo, Valencia hasn't been as good as a prime Cafu etc. But that doesn't mean that they weren't excellent this season for us (maybe that

He is benched right now, rightly so, because we are a better team with Carrick and herrera. Sturridge is often benched by Liverpool for firmino but that doesn't mean sturridge is a poor player. It's just that for Klopp's system firmino is a much better fit.

This ain't to say that Fellaini is world class or undroppable or something. Obviously he is a limited player. All I'm saying is he has put in good performances in both an AM role and a DM role more often than not. But the issue here is what you just showed. Not willing to accept that he actually had some good games. If you read comments on this thread for the first games, you would see that barely anyone critiscized him but now that he had a couple of poor games, people have narratives like 'he was poor since the beginning' or 'he played because no one else was there' or 'he played there for height' or something eventhough Jose himself acknowledged that he was very good.

We were overrun in midfield in the city game simply because they had more midfielders. Fernandinho silva and de bruyne vs Pogba and Fellaini. Was a tactical mistake till we brought 3 midfielders on ourselves. In his first season I remember he was fairly very good vs the minnows. But was ineffective vs city Liverpool and all. Just like our whole team under Moyes.

kr0nix

In Van Gaal's first season he had a couple of really good games. I think he's quite an underrated player in general - not really a true representation of his ability though. I don't particularly think he's a high quality player at all in the grand scheme of things.

If they haven't played in the PL yet it is just a hit and hope signing of which any and every name could be brought up. Weigl, Bender's, Niguez, Garmash, Veratti, I mean just pick one name and throw it out there. They could be good or good be gash but it is a total dice roll, just signing somebody for the sake of wanting somebody out of the club that you don't like. Even dressed up with fancy diagrams and paragraphs of endless droll it still comes back to the same conclusion that getting him out the door and seeing a shiny new toy arrive is more important. etc etc. The long term future of the anchor player is where Jose will move to sign a player and when that happens, when he chooses one I'll still continue to support players until they leave the club. Especially ones that have given for the shirt.

I mean even Schneiderlin (who still in my opinion gave enough for the shirt at the start of last season) had the potential to be a fantastic signing but for whatever reason didn't work out. Fellarni has credit in the bank for his performances and X's and O's that we as fans aren't privy to at Carrington and there is an obvious rapport with three different managers so I am going to continue being fine with Jose sorting it as he see's fit. He obviously has a mental capacity that Jose wants.

Jose could just as easily turf him out of the club when he finds his player that he wants to sign at an instant. Like I said above, the Gaff knows what he's doing.
It's for the sake of wanting an upgrade in personnel at the club, no different from any other player found wanting. What are you finding hard to understand?

kr0nix

See this is part of the problem - lowering of standards and subjectivity - excellent how? For me, the bar of excellent for that position is vintage Carrick, or Busquets at Barcelona, Gabi at Atlético, Matić in 2014/15, etc - dominant performances that last.
Fellaini is the only player in the squad for whom limitations in skill is used as an excuse to absolve him of poor performances.

kr0nix

Do you compare everyone to that level? If that's the case, we haven't really had any top performers in midfield this season as none of them are vintage Carrick/ gabi and Matic 14/15 level either. If you read comments from this very thread in his first 3-4 games, you would see that almost everyone was using the exact term of 'excellent'. Sure he is hardly anything compared to makalele and rijkard but then that would be the case if you compare anyone to the prime players in their position. Herrera isn't as good as a prime Keane or vieira, mkhitariyan hasn't been as good as prime Ronaldo, Valencia hasn't been as good as a prime Cafu etc. But that doesn't mean that they weren't excellent this season for us (maybe that

He is benched right now, rightly so, because we are a better team with Carrick and herrera. Sturridge is often benched by Liverpool for firmino but that doesn't mean sturridge is a poor player. It's just that for Klopp's system firmino is a much better fit.

This ain't to say that Fellaini is world class or undroppable or something. Obviously he is a limited player. All I'm saying is he has put in good performances in both an AM role and a DM role more often than not. But the issue here is what you just showed. Not willing to accept that he actually had some good games. If you read comments on this thread for the first games, you would see that barely anyone critiscized him but now that he had a couple of poor games, people have narratives like 'he was poor since the beginning' or 'he played because no one else was there' or 'he played there for height' or something eventhough Jose himself acknowledged that he was very good.

We were overrun in midfield in the city game simply because they had more midfielders. Fernandinho silva and de bruyne vs Pogba and Fellaini. Was a tactical mistake till we brought 3 midfielders on ourselves. In his first season I remember he was fairly very good vs the minnows. But was ineffective vs city Liverpool and all. Just like our whole team under Moyes.
The point is that there are several players out there that can do what Fellaini does for us and more, with the wider skillset they possess. We can easily afford any of the players @Invictus highlighted so why shouldn't we upgrade?

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Nah, you're missing the primary thrust of the post. It wasn't to compare him with Rijkaard or Makélélé, but to highlight how the most basic common denominator for defensive holding midfielders is positioning (so they can sniff out danger and put out potential fires before things get out of hand), natural nous for the position (the ability to process opposition attacking patterns and pre-emptively take countermeasures against them) and tactical discipline (which gives off an unerring right place at the right time vibe where they don't even have to tackle that much). Fellaini is subpar at almost every aspect there, hence his fundamental unsuitability to the role (just like someone who can't consistently beat his man is unsuited to the traditional winger position). It's not necessarily something that can be drilled into someone.

eg. someone like Marcos Llorente (hardly the class of players mentioned and only 21 years old) already shows greater suitability for the position given his ability to cut out passing lanes and position himself to screen the defense with efficiency:

So it's not about the prime Cafu/Keane/Vieira bit, but an examination of his individual skillset - which is more suited to offensive roles - which is backed up by the fact that his best performances for Everton came as a forward, and his best performances at United came as the most advanced midfielder on the left side of our midfield 3. There's ample evidence to support those claims.
I don't think that's a suitable analogy. Fitness and motivation permitting, Sturridge has a lot of qualities you need in a top forward. The same cannot be said of Fellaini as a defensive midfielder.
Disagree with more often than not bit. And I don't have a problem with appreciating good performances from him - as I've said before, he was good as the left sided attacking midfield in our 3 under Louis. What I can't fathom is the tendency of terming decent performances as good or excellent (which is what happened at the start of the reason). Don't care about barely anyone criticizing him, either - a lot of matchday and performance thread comments tend to be based on the short term, than a thorough appraisal of things.
Nope. We weren't overrun simply because they had greater numbers. It was a combination of greater numbers and Fellaini being a poor defensive midfielder (his marking and positional issues were on display), apart from Pogba's positional issues (which can be chalked down to his unsuitability for the double pivot position - something that has been corrected since).

PS: Also, as mentioned before, right now (or the summer window) is a good time to sell Fellaini. He has one year on his contract - so we could maybe recoup a half-decent fee. If we don't do that, he could leave on a Bosman in 2018. And renewing his contract would make little sense with the future in mind - he adds very little in terms of what we're building towards - consistent league titles and European Cup contention (evidenced by the fact that none of the teams that compete in the deep end of the Champions League have a player with his characteristics, and neither did we during our best years under Fergie). United have allowed a lot of mediocre players overstay their welcome in recent years, and then sold them for a pittance because nobody wanted them. Time to correct that trend, especially since we need to have a thorough overhaul in terms of midfield depth with the likely departures of Fußballgott and Schneiderlin.

stevoc

Bollocks mate. It was a big game and we were only winning 1-0 were not throwing players on out of position just to get minutes. Jose had to bring someone onto play DM and Fellaini was on the bench and yet he wasnt selected Bailly was preferred.

So by your logic if we are winning 1-0 against Liverpool in a few weeks and Shaw or Rooneys coming back and we have to take a CB off we might throw one of them onto partner Jones or Rojo to get minutes despite having Smalling on the bench. Think about what youre suggesting here mate. I get you want to defend Fellaini but dont be ridiculous.

prath92

I don't think you have understood what I said. Having an excellent game doesn't mean you have to analyse anything other than that particular performance. If I say Rojo had an excellent game at CB, it would be wrong to say 'no excellent would mean you need to be constant like Vidic was'. That statement is valid only if you say 'Rojo is an excellent CB'. It's quite possible for any players to have excellent games that would be comparable to a top player. It doesn't make them a top player.

Similarly when you say Fellaini didn't have excellent games because excellent games would mean domination that last. That would be required to make him a top player in the position (which he isn't as I myself have admitted). But it doesn't mean those performances cannot be excellent. Another instance would be that Wilshere once had an excellent game vs Barca and since then he has done nothing of note. That makes him a decent player at best but that performance still remains excellent.

Posters here and most of the media thought he had excellent games at the beginning of the season at DM (even against Liverpool). Fair enough if you disagree but that doesn't mean it's right.

The point is that there are several players out there that can do what Fellaini does for us and more, with the wider skillset they possess. We can easily afford any of the players @Invictus highlighted so why shouldn't we upgrade?
I have no problem with upgrading. But that doesn't mean that we shouldn't appreciate players when they play well or refrain from critiscizing when they play badly. That's all I try to maintain, be it some fan favourite like Herrera or mata or hated like Fellaini or Rojo.

Bollocks mate. It was a big game and we were only winning 1-0 were not throwing players on out of position just to get minutes. Jose had to bring someone onto play DM and Fellaini was on the bench and yet he wasnt selected Bailly was preferred.

So by your logic if we are winning 1-0 against Liverpool in a few weeks and Shaw or Rooneys coming back and we have to take a CB off we might throw one of them onto partner Jones or Rojo to get minutes despite having Smalling on the bench. Think about what youre suggesting here mate. I get you want to defend Fellaini but dont be ridiculous.
Don't be stupid man. Bailly was asked to effectively be a CB. A position he plays. He was returning into the PL after ages so mourinho gave him a few minutes. Plus Bailly is arguably our best CB so it's probable that he would play well too. Before the game, it was quite obvious that Bailly would get at least a few minutes to make a return especially if we are leading and when mkhi was injured, mou brought him on. It's not like we brought on TFM or something to talk about trust.

I get that you have to back your point however nonsensical it is but at least try to process the same in your brain for validity and sensibility.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
I don't think you have understood what I said. Having an excellent game doesn't mean you have to analyse anything other than that particular performance. If I say Rojo had an excellent game at CB, it would be wrong to say 'no excellent would mean you need to be constant like Vidic was'. That statement is valid only if you say 'Rojo is an excellent CB'. It's quite possible for any players to have excellent games that would be comparable to a top player. It doesn't make them a top player.

Similarly when you say Fellaini didn't have excellent games because excellent games would mean domination that last. That would be required to make him a top player in the position (which he isn't as I myself have admitted). But it doesn't mean those performances cannot be excellent. Another instance would be that Wilshere once had an excellent game vs Barca and since then he has done nothing of note. That makes him a decent player at best but that performance still remains excellent.

Posters here and most of the media thought he had excellent games at the beginning of the season at DM (even against Liverpool). Fair enough if you disagree but that doesn't mean it's right.
Come on now, that makes minimal sense. From a broader team-building perspective - why are we packaging him into micro-performance analysis for the odd individual games that comes around once every couple months when a better gauge is general performance over a slightly sustained period - and the latter needs to be looked at by United. And again, he didn't have excellent games, and hardly any credible analyst was calling him excellent.

I'm not even holding him to some legendary player's standard, so there's no need to sidetrack with the Rojo-Vidić narrative. For reference, this, I'd term as borderline excellent:

If you can find a comparable game from Fellaini from his supposedly excellent period (particularly in terms of decisiveness against quality opposition) at the start of the season, I'll bow to superior judgement. And through his excellent period, United were facing teams of the class of Bournemouth and Hull, too - it's like we're refining the minimum basic threshold for excellence just to accommodate Fellaini.

stevoc

Don't be stupid man. Bailly was asked to effectively be a CB. A position he plays. He was returning into the PL after ages so mourinho gave him a few minutes. Plus Bailly is arguably our best CB so it's probable that he would play well too. Before the game, it was quite obvious that Bailly would get at least a few minutes to make a return especially if we are leading and when mkhi was injured, mou brought him on. It's not like we brought on TFM or something to talk about trust.

I get that you have to back your point however nonsensical it is but at least try to process the same in your brain for validity and sensibility.
fecking give over, you clearly don't have a clue what you are talking about. Your fanatical defence of Fellaini has resulted in you spewing nonsense.

Bailly didn't come one as a fecking cente back against Spurs. For feck sake mate he replaced Mkhitaryan he then took Herrera's place in midfield and Herrera went out wide right.

Last Saturday you thought Fellaini was playing as a defensive midfielder as well when he clearly wasn't. How can you not tell which position on the pitch players are actually playing in?

prath92

fecking give over, you clearly don't have a clue what you are talking about. Your fanatical defence of Fellaini has resulted in you spewing nonsense.

Bailly didn't come one as a fecking cente back against Spurs. For feck sake mate he replaced Mkhitaryan he then took Herrera's place in midfield and Herrera went out wide right.

Last Saturday you thought Fellaini was playing as a defensive midfielder as well when he clearly wasn't. How can you not tell which position on the pitch players are actually playing in?
He played with the main intention of defending and nothing else. That's why I wrote that he was 'effectively a CB'*. Unless you think he was brought on to replace Herrera and was expected to create chances. I thought you had the common sense to understand basic points and had a reasonable understanding of English. Clearly not. My mistake. I'm sure you will come back with some other crap post. Don't. Let's agree to disagree.

* for your understanding- effectively a CB means he was played in midfield but his job was the same as a CB and that's why he was brought on and that's how he played too. It's kind of basic English.

dichinero

I think you are using the term "excellent" very very loosely here. I made a thread about what constitutes as an excellent performance some months ago and the general consensus was based on relativity and expectation. What you would call an 8/10 for a 17 year old cm will most likely be a 6/10 for a more experienced CM. Just because it worked for one or two games doesn't make it an excellent performance. You would most likely call it excellent because the benchmark for Fellaini is extremely low, so anything above that is regarded as very good to excellent subjectively. But Fellaini is not some youngster new to the league, he's got a decade of PL experience, so by and large, the was nothing spectacular about any of his performances this season or any season in fact (yes, I include that famous three game run which I watched again. Emotions severely overrated very good performances in that run while conveniently excluding the next three games) that can be regarded as excellent IMO.

stevoc

He played with the main intention of defending and nothing else. That's why I wrote that he was 'effectively a CB'*. Unless you think he was brought on to replace Herrera and was expected to create chances. I thought you had the common sense to understand basic points and had a reasonable understanding of English. Clearly not. My mistake. I'm sure you will come back with some other crap post. Don't. Let's agree to disagree.

* for your understanding- effectively a CB means he was played in midfield but his job was the same as a CB and that's why he was brought on and that's how he played too. It's kind of basic English.
:lol:

So in yout fecked up stubborn way you are admitting he was brought on as a DM, good finally a sliver of common sense in a sea of nonsensical bullshit. Even though you are still doing some serious mental gymnastics to try to convince yourself he wasn't brought on instead of Fellaini to play as a DM. Why not just admit that to begin with instead of spewing childish condescending nonsense?

And no we won't agree to disagree, if you like we can agree that i was right to begin with and all the bullshit that has followed was the latest pointless waste of time initiated by your need to defend Fellaini's honour from any and all criticism and in this case the truth.

Last edited:

stevoc

I think you are using the term "excellent" very very loosely here. I made a thread about what constitutes as an excellent performance some months ago and the general consensus was based on relativity and expectation. What you would call an 8/10 for a 17 year old cm will most likely be a 6/10 for a more experienced CM. Just because it worked for one or two games doesn't make it an excellent performance. You would most likely call it excellent because the benchmark for Fellaini is extremely low, so anything above that is regarded as very good to excellent subjectively. But Fellaini is not some youngster new to the league, he's got a decade of PL experience, so by and large, the was nothing spectacular about any of his performances this season or any season in fact (yes, I include that famous three game run which I watched again. Emotions severely overrated very good performances in that run while conveniently excluding the next three games) that can be regarded as excellent IMO.
Yeah things did get a bit out of hand in those first few games. He played well no doubt but some went overboard in the praise. He obviously didn't impress Mourinho that much in the position though as he's barely played there since that run of 3-4 games at the start of the season.

prath92

So in yout fecked up stubborn way you are admitting he was brought on as a DM, good finally a sliver of common sense in a sea of nonsensical bullshit. Even though you are still doing some serious mental gymnastics to try to convince yourself he wasn't brought on instead of Fellaini to play as a DM. Why not just admit that to begin with instead of spewing childish condescending nonsense?

And no we won't agree to disagree, if you like we can agree that i was right to begin with and all the bullshit that has followed was the latest pointless waste of time initiated by your need to defend Fellaini's honour from any and all criticism and in this case the truth.

First learn to comprehend stuff. Then come back with your senseless stuff. The only thing you are right about is that you have spouted bullshit after my initial post (your words not mine) where I had some good words to say about a player in the club I support, in games he actually played well in. Thanks for admitting that.

Not really interested to hear more bullshit nonsense (your words) thank you. Have a nice day/night depending on your timezone.

stevoc

First learn to comprehend stuff. Then come back with your senseless stuff.
Priceless.

The only thing you are right about is that you have spouted bullshit after my initial post (your words not mine) where I had some good words to say about a player in the club I support, in games he actually played well in. Thanks for admitting that.

Not really interested to hear more bullshit nonsense (your words) thank you. Have a nice day/night depending on your timezone.

You replied to my post which wasn't even directed towards you. You then proceeded to tell me i was wrong, that Bailly came on as a CB and wasn't preferred to Fellaini. You then realized (with my help) you were in fact spewing nonsense. So instead of saying fair enough you were wrong, you changed your story and said Bailly came on as ''effectively a CB'' in midfield as if that makes sense. :wenger: But nonetheless he still came on and played in midfield ahead of Fellaini who was on the bench. Simple as that really.

Good day to you too sir.

Last edited:

Ashley R1+O

It's for the sake of wanting an upgrade in personnel at the club, no different from any other player found wanting. What are you finding hard to understand?
He's not a starting player, he's a squad option so relax. Let the boss sort it out. We aren't desperate to upgrade our squad players and the starting players are clearly Carrick/Herrera/Pogba when they are fit. The squad options organically fall out of the side and down the pecking order due to attrition or are moved away when the boss deems that they can no longer contribute.

Look at Schneiderlin and Schweisteiger first, they aren't playing. They are both odds on to move and are clearly not in Mourinho's plans. If that means drafting in another midfielder (or midfielders) that organically push Fellaini down through the pecking order then that is the way the squad should be managed. Further down the track when Jose doesn't need or want to use Fellaini and can leave then so be it. We just have to be patient and stop trying to create drama where it isn't necessary.

If he survives the cull off of the Shmidfield then all the better for another player to come in and stake their claim above Fellaini or for him to continue to repay the trust that Jose Mourinho has given him. It isn't really a scenario to waste brain power on because obviously Jose trusts him and will pick him when he wants to. We just have to accept that.

edit: Some of the stuff above :lol: relax guys jeez its just Fellaini.

Last edited:

ElQuesoGrande

It's as much down to the lack of fight from the opposition but Fellaini has owned this game so far

Tiber

Looks like he has finally found his level. A decent chnapionship cm.

sugar_kane

Another solid game from him where he contributed loads but he won't get the credit he deserves.

Schweini is a legend but it's mad how one gets booed and the other gets a standing ovation when he's barely done anything in a United shirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.