g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Marouane Fellaini image 27

Marouane Fellaini Belgium flag

2017-18 Performances

View full 2017-18 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaybomb

To be honest, Fellaini has been one of my favourite players since he got here.

Was a big fan of his at Everton and even thought back then he would be a United player someday. There's just something about his attitude and fight on the pitch that screamed "United" to me.

In terms of his mental strength, I'd compare it to that of Roy Keane and Eric Cantona. A lot of people won't like hearing that but you can't deny that he is tough as bricks. Every week he comes out and gives it everything despite some of our fans jeering and booing him at some points. Disgraceful behaviour but it says a lot about the big man how it doesn't faze him one bit.

He's a very good squad player. A lot of teams would love to have him as an option. Will he start every game? No. But to be honest I would start him in most of the big games. Even against the top European teams cause he will give them something to think about. Real Madrid struggled a bit against him in the Super Cup when he came on.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur

Was a big fan of his at Everton and even thought back then he would be a United player someday. There's just something about his attitude and fight on the pitch that screamed "United" to me.

In terms of his mental strength, I'd compare it to that of Roy Keane and Eric Cantona. A lot of people won't like hearing that but you can't deny that he is tough as bricks. Every week he comes out and gives it everything despite some of our fans jeering and booing him at some points. Disgraceful behaviour but it says a lot about the big man how it doesn't faze him one bit.

He's a very good squad player. A lot of teams would love to have him as an option. Will he start every game? No. But to be honest I would start him in most of the big games. Even against the top European teams cause he will give them something to think about. Real Madrid struggled a bit against him in the Super Cup when he came on.

Totally agree. Love him!

AR87

Agree with the post overall but I wouldn't start him in the big matches. I think he works best as a tactical change off the bench when teams are tired later in the match.

I do believe that he gives us an option in Europe that is very unique which many teams are unaccustomed to and poorly equipped to handle. Also his diligence about carrying out the manager's instructions make him somebody Mourinho has implicit trust in, which has it's own value that's hard to measure. Also suspect that he's a favorite among the squad, but that's pure conjecture on my part.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Fellaini has turned me around regarding how I felt about him as a player. I have no shame admitting I was way too harsh on him because no matter what happened and his performances, you could never say he didn't give his best and most of the time his managers were to blame for asking him to play roles he's not good that.
The way he's been utilized so far this season, has been spot on by Mourinho.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought we was linked with us throughout summer of 2012 and then January 2013?

Aren't you the person that told me Fellaini is and always will be trash?
I found his thread from 2012 but it doesn't seem like we were linked with him

interesting reading the discussion on him back then though

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/fellaini.290796/

AR87

I found his thread from 2012 but it doesn't seem like we were linked with him

interesting reading the discussion on him back then though

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/fellaini.290796/
It's quite fascinating when you read the reactions to him dominating us in a few matches. Watching him have a major impact against Madrid in the Super Cup and in other big matches strengthens my belief that his skill sets are actually more valuable against better sides as they're less equipped to handle his physicality. I also feel that while he's not extremely creative in possession he's quite tidy and that has value when we play him further forward and we play more direct. His pressing against opposing backlines is also underrated when he plays further forward IMO.

Redlyn

He just shouldn't be an automatic starter. Matic has been key to allowing mourinho to use him like this. Happy days.

Needham

More revisions going on in this thread than in a public school the night before exams.

stevoc

There's a reason why Fergie was rumored to be in for him. To me he comes across as a proper Fergie player. Fele!
I can't imagine any scenario where Ferguson would have wanted Fellaini. Not saying Fellaini is a bad player he's not, but i couldn't imagine a player of that type fitting into a Fergie side.

yfoFC

To me there has been no major revisions on fellani per se but just a case of Jose now using him better and so it mitigates his flaws and then we "hate" him less

Also applies to Lingard, if the gaffer were to start him over rashford/martial then you'll see his page in an uproar (case in point the supercup game)

Same would occur here if fellani gets a consistent nod over any of the top 3 midfielders we got..

IrishRedDevil

If he's back in the first team lineup for an extensive period of time, people will quickly remember.
He won't be. Now he's a good bench option that will cause teams trouble in the final 20mins of games, which many people, myself included, can accept.

Roboc7

To me there has been no major revisions on fellani per se but just a case of Jose now using him better and so it mitigates his flaws and then we "hate" him less

Also applies to Lingard, if the gaffer were to start him over rashford/martial then you'll see his page in an uproar (case in point the supercup game)

Same would occur here if fellani gets a consistent nod over any of the top 3 midfielders we got..
Completely agree they are both players who have proven they aren't good enough regularly over a period of time. When they are on the bench or only start the odd game there isn't much to complain about and used correctly they will be appreciated for what they are.

If they are in the starting eleven on a regular basis the attitude will change and the team will be struggling because when those type of players are being picked something is going wrong.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He won't be. Now he's a good bench option that will cause teams trouble in the final 20mins of games, which many people, myself included, can accept.
Indeed, it's what many of us have wanted for ages. The guy has his uses; when he's used the right way he's a huge weapon. Being a regular starter like he has been for the last four years isn't one of them, and he should never be that. Of course he'll start the occasional game, but he shouldn't be a regular starter.

iKeano

Bananas.

There's a reason why Fergie was rumored to be in for him. To me he comes across as a proper Fergie player. Fele!
Where are these rumours from?

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
He is trash, he's just playing less than before so it's less noticeable. If he's back in the first team lineup for an extensive period of time, people will quickly remember.
Okay so amazingly if he plays the last 20 minutes he's not trash but if he starts, he's trash :lol:

Adnandos

Fellaini's reputation/meme opinion is WAY worse than his actual ability.

MThomas

Figo: In Spain we called Benitez 'píldora para dor
Any comments about him being trash after how he has been performing lately is laughable to me.
Not really all that bothered about what's laughable or not to you.

If Fellaini manages to play consistently well for a long period of time, then kudos, fair play if he manages to turn things around

But lets not pretend that we've reached that point yet

Shouldn't have been signed to begin with

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur

If Fellaini manages to play consistently well for a long period of time, then kudos, fair play if he manages to turn things around

Yeah let's forget he has played consistently well for 2.5 years now.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.

You're the only one pretending he hasn't been playing well. It's painfully obvious you're in denial. Just accept you were wrong about him. Plenty of people did already. No shame in that.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
:lol: Anyone who remembers that to begin with needs their head checked
?! Second half of first season with LVG, helped us into Europe. Second season with LVG, vital goals, ever present whilst others decided to down tools, unsettle dressing room through rumours, dream of playing elsewhere, get injured for 9 months of the year. First year with Jose, plays most games, helps us to a Europa and League Cup double.

Sell Fele!

MThomas

?! Second half of first season with LVG, helped us into Europe. Second season with LVG, vital goals, ever present whilst others decided to down tools, unsettle dressing room through rumours, dream of playing elsewhere, get injured for 9 months of the year. First year with Jose, plays most games, helps us to a Europa and League Cup double.

Sell Fele!
People remember a short string of good performances in the second half of Van Gaals first season, and pretend that was his overall form, but unfortunately it wasn't, and lets not overstate his importance in either Van Gaals last season or Mourinhos first.

So we spent the odd £30mill on a player 4 years ago, and now the notion is that he's proven himself because he's a handy player to have coming off the bench :lol: Brilliant that.

As i said, shouldn't have been signed in the first place, being a bench player after 4 years hardly proves me wrong, nor all the others who was negative to signing him based on his Everton performances.

MThomas

You're the only one pretending he hasn't been playing well. It's painfully obvious you're in denial. Just accept you were wrong about him. Plenty of people did already. No shame in that.
I have no problems stating it when he's playing well, and it's never in a million miles about denial. If he starts delivering good performances on a weekly basis and forces himself into the starting lineup then that's brilliant, another great option to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.