2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

AFC NimbleThumb

It had a big impact on performance. At least for the first hour before it went to shit. You can't blame Mount or Hojljund for example for Onana passing it right to their play, being incapable of saving anything, our complete disastrous defending for the goals for example. It's not that the system was dysfunctional all game. It dominated play but individual misitakes caused the goals for them. Literally every single goal and the pen was a horrific individual mistake. That's completely independent of Mounts impact on our game or his performance. He could be Ronaldinho today and it wouldn't stop Onana from making that pass or Dalot defending like that for the 1st goal or whatever happened in the other 2 goals. They weren't collective breakdowns. They were individual cock ups.
We lost the game by a goal. If he had it in him to be Ronaldinho against that Galatasary team we’d have drawn as a minimum even with the circus act that is our defence.

You keep trying to subvert this to the defence when I’m not blaming him for the loss of goals. I’m questioning how our star midfield signing being accommodated in his preferred position who apparently played so well can have such a limited impact on the game as a whole.

I'm just not sure of your point here. He did good stuff that, if he carries on doing it, will lead to him being productive. That he did it in a game where the defence looked like they were afraid of their own shadows and our two most senior midfielders played without any kind of composure or leadership in a struggling team, isn't really something to beat him with.
A massive presumption given the lack of actual proof this will happen.

He played well, the team performed terribly. I’m not sure why that point is proving so difficult for people to accept.

No one is blaming him for defensive errors, so please stop with the misdirection.

We lost the game by a goal, & our big midfield signing who was meant to make the team better ‘did good stuff’ yet had little, to no, impact on team performance overall. I thought the best midfielders were meant to impact games, not do good things in harmless areas & get a free pass because ‘new signing so must over-react to simple things’.

You may have missed it in an earlier post of mine but I’ve acknowledged Mount is a good player. I just don’t think he raises the level of the team anywhere near enough & the fact he played so well & we got the performance we did tonight hasn’t dissuaded that thought.

gajender

Played decent tonight. Was busy and tidy.

Just not the player we need right now. Should have bought Joao Palhinha from Fulham. Closest thing to Rhodri.
What player have you been watching , anybody who watches both players can't seriously come to that conclusion .

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Was full of energy in the first halve. He brings energy to the team but he can’t be expected to do it on his own. Whenever he presses the others need to follow. Had some really good touches and passes. Could have scored and had an assist for that beautiful pass to Hojlund. He’s improving but the team in general is doing poor.

Lyng

Mount was decent last night. Should probably play instead of Bruno until the latter sorts himself out.

Thiagoal

Thought he was our second best player. Good movement, link up, great energy and switches of play! Would keep him in Bruno’s position

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Him+Bruno together isn't working.

I'd start him in place of Bruno, better ball retention which will allow us to control games better.

Right now its Onana + defenders passing around but no one from midfield stepping up to move the ball from defense to midfield.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I also thought he was probably one of our best players last night. Good energy, some nice touches, good interlink play with team mates, got into scoring positions and tracked back. What more do you want?

Devil77

Mount has been one of the best performers over the last games. Works hard, runs fast, looks good with the ball and can also drive it forward.

stw2022

He's very good. He has very good awareness of everything around him, he presses, gets about, can usually find a pass and is a goal threat too.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Mount has been one of the best performers over the last games. Works hard, runs fast, looks good with the ball and can also drive it forward.
This,

Clearly the knives are out of the lad, for some on here unless certain players are crossing the ball then sprinting fast enough to get on the end of their own cross for a worldy over head kick then they are written off after a few games as an abject disaster

Borys

Statistics Wizard
IMO the "he doesn't do enough" criticism is a result of Mount and Bruno sharing the same role. Mount has been doing well recently, he just doesn't get the ball nearly enough. Bruno on the other hand looks completely out of form and not even doing the basics right.

Point is, one of them needs to be dropped so that the other can be a bit more adventurous. Based on last performances, it should be Mount who remains first choice. Another advantage is he may be able to cover up for Eriksen.
But we all know the captain isn't getting dropped.

mu4c_20le

Thought he was our second best player. Good movement, link up, great energy and switches of play! Would keep him in Bruno’s position
"Thought he was great! Now let's play him in a different position."

Let's be honest, he's looking good because we're in the middle of a crisis. Even Hannibal and Reguilon looked like prime Fabregas and Roberto Carlos.

I've always rated him, but you don't build a title winning team with him as the 10. If we had a proper dof, he'd be a squad player.

OrcaFat

This is exactly why I’m questioning it though.

Him playing well in a silo has minimal impact on team performances & results. If we continue on the fashion of ‘Multiple games now where a lot of the good we've done has flowed through him.’ yet continue to see the same results at what point can we conclude maybe his good isn’t quite good enough?

Mount isn’t a particularly bad player but he doesn’t do enough to raise the ceiling of a team, he’ll raise the floor because he’ll run around a lot & play it safe but good Mount performances end like tonight & that simply isn’t the level of midfielder we were sold this Summer by the football purists.

Him being easily our 2nd best player after Hojlund on a night like tonight is damning praise.

If he continues to show the influence [or lack of] in overall team performances whilst ‘a lot of the good flows through him’ we are fecked. He can’t just be average/barely above & the fact people are already settling into this level as acceptable is worrying.

I’m certainly not ignoring ‘all’ the good he did, I’m questioning whether that good can get better because it’s nowhere near what we require to turn things around.
I think it is unrealistic to expect a £55m player to win games on his own which seems to be what you’re expecting.

He can be better but he is showing a lot of quality and the team is benefiting from his clever positioning, work rate and sound technique. He’s a very good cog in a machine that is beginning to run smoother. His job is to do what he’s doing - preferably slightly better but he was never expected to be Grealish or, say, a modern day Lampard. As you know Grealish cost about double and Christ knows what peak Lampard would fetch these days.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Let's be honest, he's looking good because we're in the middle of a crisis. Even Hannibal and Reguilon looked like prime Fabregas and Roberto Carlos.

I've always rated him, but you don't build a title winning team with him as the 10. If we had a proper dof, he'd be a squad player.
Hes looking good because hes playing well.

OrcaFat

As an aside, I keep seeing references to this mythical DoF who will somehow transform the squad. A DoF is a person. I have no reason to believe we can easily find a person better qualified than EtH to assemble a squad or make any major football decisions.

Thom Merrilin

It's very mysterious, unless you actually watch the game.
I know you were being funny, I get your point.

However, watching the game back is hugely valuable and I doubt many of our fans do it. I usually watch our games two or three times.

Rake

I thought he was decent last night. Could have been more composed with his chances but certainly was far from the calamity many make him out to have been.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
As an aside, I keep seeing references to this mythical DoF who will somehow transform the squad. A DoF is a person. I have no reason to believe we can easily find a person better qualified than EtH to assemble a squad or make any major football decisions.
Not sure what makes ETH qualified when he didnt do it at his previous clubs

Thom Merrilin

IMO the "he doesn't do enough" criticism is a result of Mount and Bruno sharing the same role. Mount has been doing well recently, he just doesn't get the ball nearly enough. Bruno on the other hand looks completely out of form and not even doing the basics right.

Point is, one of them needs to be dropped so that the other can be a bit more adventurous. Based on last performances, it should be Mount who remains first choice. Another advantage is he may be able to cover up for Eriksen.
But we all know the captain isn't getting dropped.
Agree with the bolded

OrcaFat

Not sure what makes ETH qualified when he didnt do it at his previous clubs
Managing a team at the top level. He also had a lot of input in the past. He was not just a puppet. Unless you get a very good person to be your DoF, it’s pointless - you give that person all the money but the accountability is diluted. Usually the manager / coach will get fired but not the DoF.

Jacob

Should get into the team ahead of Bruno.

CM of Amrabat and Casemiro with Mount in front of them. Double pivot.

Borys

Statistics Wizard

I find that comment strange. We are in crisis, and yet only he (and few others) look like proper players. He is also new guy here, the team doesn't know how to play with him (although he's clearly getting more and more involved).

I don't even know how this "title winning team with Mount" still sticks.

zaafi

Can a Top Red confirm how many games does he have to play before people who questioned this signing from the offset can legitimately raise their concerns?

We’re not a team in a position that can afford to spend £55mil+ on a player that doesn’t noticeably raise the ceiling of our team’s performances.
How can he raise the ceiling of the team when he plays with his team mates that consistently look to give the ball away? It is not his fault, and nothing he can do about it. They are not interested in linking up, building up attacks, and he can't be given the fault for that. He should not be given the fault for Rashford being absolutely braindead for passing instead of shooting, our defenders not being able to defend, or Bruno making poor decisions again and again.

Have we ever won a game with Mount starting?
Ridiculous post. We played our best game with him starting without the obvious liabilities in our play which is Rashford and Bruno.

The point would be relevant had I blamed him for the loss, I haven’t. What I do have my reservations about is his ability to help us win games which is what a player in his position should be doing.

I understand it is en vogue to be reductive on here but I’m certainly not blaming him for conceding the goals we did. Him apparently having a great game & having no tangible impact on the teams output is concerning though.

pass was offside’, ‘nearly played him in’, ‘could’ve scored if’ typify exactly what I could see coming with this signing - we’re already at the point of woulda, coulda, shoulda. These issues don’t just impact us, does KdB not make passes that are offside, Odegaard not get shots blocked etc.

If you read my posts tonight I acknowledge he played well for himself, I’m saying him playing well for himself & having such a little impact on the game at large isn’t something he should be championed for, he needs to do more.
What does this even mean? He has a great game, but has no impact on the output? So how did he have a great game if he made no contributions? I don't think you understand the role of a midfielder, and it's clear you have set your standards way higher to Mount, simply because it is not a transfer you wanted initially. That is the typical caf member. They want to be right on the transfer, as if they're some kind of football expert. So what do you think of midfielders Bruno Guimaraes, Camavinga, Valverde, Frenkie de Jong, Pedri, Gavi or Paqueta when they don't score or assist? They're central midfielders that won't necessarily impact the score of the game, but what they do is all around, basic midfield tasks. It is what makes teams effective by linking up, offering a passing option before moving with quick and intricate passes, pressing their players, tackling and intercepting and holding the ball and building up attacks instead of giving it away?

We get it, though, you're more a fan of moments which the likes of Bruno can offer. Mount had a good game yesterday, but there is nothing he can do about the goals conceded, or how our attackers make idiotic decisions in the final third. He made a very good pass to Højlund who clumsily couldn't control it. You seriously can't be blaming him for not impacting the game, when he did what a midfielder is supposed to be doing.

Odd timing to be using Ødegaard as an example, after losing 2-1 to Lens.

Martial

We wasted 55m pounds on a squad player.

We would have been far better off getting him for free next summer, and putting it towards someone who isn't a liability in central midfield this summer.

Rockets Redglare

We wasted 55m pounds on a squad player.

We would have been far better off getting him for free next summer, and putting it towards someone who isn't a liability in central midfield this summer.
He shouldn’t be a squad player though. He should be starting and Bruno should be benched.

Martial

He shouldn’t be a squad player though. He should be starting and Bruno should be benched.
Not sure Mount is good enough to be the starting 10 at any top club tbh, that's why we only bought him in the hope he could play as an 8.

We needed a central midfielder this summer to replace the aging Eriksen, but Mount gives us zero defensive solidity in the position, despite taking a huge chunk of our budget this summer.

SambaBoy

Was full of energy in the first halve. He brings energy to the team but he can’t be expected to do it on his own. Whenever he presses the others need to follow. Had some really good touches and passes. Could have scored and had an assist for that beautiful pass to Hojlund. He’s improving but the team in general is doing poor.
Yeah I agree with that, you seem him flying round the pitch and part of me thinks 'save your energy' because no-one is on the secondary press and the team easily get out. We need more players with high energy, hopefully when Amrabat moves into the middle he will provide it.

Hannibal obviously has a great engine and can get around the pitch but lacks quality on the ball.

AFC NimbleThumb

I think it is unrealistic to expect a £55m player to win games on his own which seems to be what you’re expecting.
If I expected him to ‘win games on his own’ I’d say it. It’s particularly hard to engage with a post that starts with such an extreme exaggeration.

What I do expect is that if he played as well as people are saying against that Galatasary team then the team not just Mount should be getting plaudits come 90 mins. He wasn’t playing away at the Etihad.

To expect that a good game from our key midfield signing should result in a marked improvement in team performance really shouldn’t be too much to ask for, that is not expecting him to win games by himself. The best midfielders tend to influence the game, that’s not them winning it all alone.

We get it, though
No. You don’t.

mu4c_20le

I find that comment strange. We are in crisis, and yet only he (and few others) look like proper players. He is also new guy here, the team doesn't know how to play with him (although he's clearly getting more and more involved).

I don't even know how this "title winning team with Mount" still sticks.
Crisis = our best players are out of form. Neither regulon or hannibal gets into other top teams.

zaafi

If I expected him to ‘win games on his own’ I’d say it. It’s particularly hard to engage with a post that starts with such an extreme exaggeration.

What I do expect is that if he played as well as people are saying against that Galatasary team then the team not just Mount should be getting plaudits come 90 mins. He wasn’t playing away at the Etihad.

To expect that a good game from our key midfield signing should result in a marked improvement in team performance really shouldn’t be too much to ask for, that is not expecting him to win games by himself. The best midfielders tend to influence the game, that’s not them winning it all alone.
A midfielder can have a very good game and still lose. He should still be applauded. A midfielder can also have a very bad game, but the rest of the team played well and we won. You make it seem so black and white.

Frenkie de Jong wouldn't be able to improve us much, because our midfielders are in stark contrast to each other, so while one wants to link-up, build and retain possession, the other looks to give it away and create single-handedly. It is absurd, and it's on Ten Hag. You can't buy a midfielder and force him to play with midfielders who don't want to play as a team. The solution is to get rid of midfielders who don't seek to approach the game this way, i.e Bruno and to a degree Casemiro.