g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Mason Mount image 7

Mason Mount England flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Dominos

Decent, not amazing. Still fluffing his goalscoring attempts.

As soon as we have some full backs fit, I'd try Casemiro Amrabat Mount midfield 3 to try give us some control of games for once. Bruno can have some time on the bench.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Competition is a good thing. Aside from competing directly with each other, Amrabat offers an alternative at #6 to Casemiro (who has had a poor start to the season) and they also provide indirect competition for Antony, as one of Bruno/Mount can shift to RW.

Just look at the midfield we're setting up with today, with all of Casemiro, Mount, Bruno and Mejbri playing. If Amrabat wasn't needed at LB it could easily be him in midfield in place of Mejbri.
The way I see it, Amrabat and Cassemiro would have the double pivot in a 4-2-3-1 while 1 of Bruno, Mount and Mejbri would take the #10. I just don't see Mount as a #8. He's never played there before. At Chelsea he was an attacking midfielder, not a #8, and definitely not a #6

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I would agree with that. We can only play one of them. Neither should ever play at RW unless we have a crazy injury crisis up front(which is possible :rolleyes: )
I am not against the idea of playing one of them on the right, but still feels like Bruno was floating what imo makes no sense if we have Mount there in the middle.

I just don't like the idea of two 10s. Actually I think this would've worked better with two Mason Mounts rather that Mount + Bruno. Bruno for me is not a player that can take a tactical role.

Irwin99

Decent performance again. Wish he was a bit more of a goal threat but hopefully that will come.

rooneyberbatov

I think he was playing well in the second half but I still got no clue what his best position in our team is :houllier:

bstb3

Finding his feet, which is remarkable considering the mess going on around him at the moment. I'm still not sure about the balance in midfield, but if we can find a place for him with a double pivot of Casemiro and Amrabat I think he will justify it. The problem is who comes out - right now Bruno on current form - but will need a little more output before ETH can risk that call. Promising signs though.

RVN1991

Bench Bruno and play Mount behind Hojlund with Amrabat and Casemiro behind him. Had enough of Bruno for the entire season.

FriedClams

Is going to be one of our most important players going forward. He’s a step ahead of most.

El Jefe

I've always had time for Mount. He plays the right way and understands the game too unlike many of our players.

The issue for him is he plays in an important part of the pitch so he has to add more end product to his game, either with goals or final passes. He won't win a large part of the fanbase over without that. Hopefully these are parts of his game that can be developed because he gets into decent positions in nearly every game.

The pass to Hojlund is what I want to see more of from him.

Dve

Mount can hold his head high after tonight's performance. Next after Højlund, comfortably our best player.

Copa Mundial

People on here saying he was very good. Really? He was ok imo but I think to say he was very good is a bit of a stretch.

zaafi

I've always had time for Mount. He plays the right way and understands the game too unlike many of our players.

The issue for him is he plays in an important part of the pitch so he has to add more end product to his game, either with goals or final passes. He won't win a large part of the fanbase over without that. Hopefully these are parts of his game that can be developed because he gets into decent positions in nearly every game.

The pass to Hojlund is what I want to see more of from him.
This. I see him making quick, intelligent decisions on the pitch, and it's just too fast for his team mates. It's like they're surprised themselves. They're not used to playing quick football that gives you the second you need to take advantage of a team not in defensive position, but none of our players seem to have an interest in taking that advantage. It's bizarre. I actually think he'd be a good fit for Barcelona with their style.

SirScholes

It’s not all bad. Mostly bad, I’ll give you that.
It’s 0 points with a max of 12 now available
It’s beaten in successive home games in the league
What happens if we stop playing as well as you think we are

Cabin Clown

Encouraging performance. It's not for a lack of effort with Mount. Hope he continues to get better and better.

AFC NimbleThumb

Can a Top Red confirm how many games does he have to play before people who questioned this signing from the offset can legitimately raise their concerns?

We’re not a team in a position that can afford to spend £55mil+ on a player that doesn’t noticeably raise the ceiling of our team’s performances.

Thom Merrilin

I like him. He's positionally excellent and takes care of the ball well. I get the feeling that a team of 11 Mounts would be very good.

Yagami

Good post resistant
The standards....

He does nothing but run about in a 3-2 loss at home to Galatasaray putting us in clear danger of being knocked out already and that's good enough? For over £50m?

I mean, I'm not surprised because I've watched him for many years and it's no different to his usual standard, but i can't believe he's being championed. Just because he doesn't give the ball away as much as his midfield partners who also aren't good enough.

RuudTom83

Coming into a dysfunctional team and learning a new role (albeit none of us can actually tell what said role is) cannot be easy.

But I don’t hate him as a player and hope one day when the circus dies down, we will be able to appreciate what he brings to the team.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Can a Top Red confirm how many games does he have to play before people who questioned this signing from the offset can legitimately raise their concerns?

We’re not a team in a position that can afford to spend £55mil+ on a player that doesn’t noticeably raise the ceiling of our team’s performances.
Doesn't make sense to question one of the few who played well. Criticizing him after today is intentionally ignoring all the good he did (which was a lot) and blaming stuff that he had nothing to do with.

Multiple games now where a lot of the good we've done has flowed through him. Could use more of the others performing on his level. Extremely easily was our 2nd best after Hojlund today.

AFC NimbleThumb

Doesn't make sense to question one of the few who played well. Criticizing him after today is intentionally ignoring all the good he did (which was a lot) and blaming stuff that he had nothing to do with.

Multiple games now where a lot of the good we've done has flowed through him. Could use more of the others performing on his level. Extremely easily was our 2nd best after Hojlund today.
This is exactly why I’m questioning it though.

Him playing well in a silo has minimal impact on team performances & results. If we continue on the fashion of ‘Multiple games now where a lot of the good we've done has flowed through him.’ yet continue to see the same results at what point can we conclude maybe his good isn’t quite good enough?

Mount isn’t a particularly bad player but he doesn’t do enough to raise the ceiling of a team, he’ll raise the floor because he’ll run around a lot & play it safe but good Mount performances end like tonight & that simply isn’t the level of midfielder we were sold this Summer by the football purists.

Him being easily our 2nd best player after Hojlund on a night like tonight is damning praise.

If he continues to show the influence [or lack of] in overall team performances whilst ‘a lot of the good flows through him’ we are fecked. He can’t just be average/barely above & the fact people are already settling into this level as acceptable is worrying.

I’m certainly not ignoring ‘all’ the good he did, I’m questioning whether that good can get better because it’s nowhere near what we require to turn things around.

bosnian_red

This is exactly why I’m questioning it though.

Him playing well in a silo has minimal impact on team performances & results. If we continue on the fashion of ‘Multiple games now where a lot of the good we've done has flowed through him.’ yet continue to see the same results at what point can we conclude maybe his good isn’t quite good enough?

Mount isn’t a particularly bad player but he doesn’t do enough to raise the ceiling of a team, he’ll raise the floor because he’ll run around a lot & play it safe but good Mount performances end like tonight & that simply isn’t the level of midfielder we were sold this Summer by the football purists.

Him being easily our 2nd best player after Hojlund on a night like tonight is damning praise.

If he continues to show the influence [or lack of] in overall team performances whilst ‘a lot of the good flows through him’ we are fecked. He can’t just be average/barely above & the fact people are already settling into this level as acceptable is worrying.

I’m certainly not ignoring ‘all’ the good he did, I’m questioning whether that good can get better because it’s nowhere near what we require to turn things around.
Oh come on, he was well above average. First half especially he was excellent, having really good moments, showing quality passing and control, linking up really well, unlucky not to score. It was a very good performance. The reason the team lost has 0 to do with him. It was defensive feck ups and a collective loss of composure from the others.

Watch a comp of his touches today ignoring the overall game flow and you'll see that. There was a ton of good that he did today and if Bruno put in half the performance Mount did today, it would've gone far better for example.

AFC NimbleThumb

Oh come on, he was well above average. First half especially he was excellent, having really good moments, showing quality passing and control, linking up really well, unlucky not to score. It was a very good performance. The reason the team lost has 0 to do with him. It was defensive feck ups and a collective loss of composure from the others. In fact I’d a

Watch a comp of his touches today ignoring the overall game flow and you'll see that. There was a ton of good that he did today and if Bruno put in half the performance Mount did today, it would've gone far better for example.
watch a comp of his touches’, good grief.

it was a very good performance’ from our new midfield signing playing in his preferred role that produced no tangible contributions & his team ended up losing. If you don’t understand what is wrong with that then the standards for this guy are not simply on the floor they are in the basement.
. . .
Him playing well in a silo has minimal impact on team performances & results.

RedOrange

He did OK? But when he's the number one target for the middle and we paid that much with him having a year left and would have been free next season, it just makes things more baffling.
What the feck does that have to do with his performance?

Jeffthered

I actually rate Mason Mount. Similar player (and level) to Rashford for me: he's good, talented, has good experience now, and can have a big impact in games. But he also needs good players around him. He isn't going to inspire and drive a team like KDB or Pogba on a good day.. but Mason Mount plays better with better players. May sound initially obvious, but some players do not improve, regardless of who they are playing alongside (Fred and SMT are examples of this. Their level never changes)

We haven't a settled team, and this is killing us. At least Mount brings something to the side.

But he plays as an attacking central midfielder for me. Which means Bruno cannot play there. And this is an ETH issue.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!

it was a very good performance’ from our new midfield signing playing in his preferred role that produced no tangible contributions & his team ended up losing. If you don’t understand what is wrong with that then the standards for this guy are not simply on the floor they are in the basement.
. . .
It's not really on him that our defence and keeper decided to shit the bed not once but four times. The pass in to Hojlund on the disallowed goal was good, almost slipped him in in the first half with a great pass, could've scored if Hannibal doesn't block his shot, drew another good save from the keeper. He was good.

Martial

His performances remind me of how I imagine Lingard would play as a central midfielder for us.

The results and defensive solidly either provide would be exactly the same.

And at least Lingard didn't cost 55m.

Yagami

Good post resistant
He was not good.

This is our star signing against one of the weakest teams in the competition, and his impact on the game was next to nothing. He doesn't create, he doesn't help us control a game, he doesn't keep the ball under pressure.

Please up your standards. This is Manchester United, and a midfielder for this club should be expected to offer more than pressing and a decent pass here and there.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
It's not really on him that our defence and keeper decided to shit the bed not once but four times. The pass in to Hojlund on the disallowed goal was good, almost slipped him in in the first half with a great pass, could've scored if Hannibal doesn't block his shot, drew another good save from the keeper. He was good.

This.

AFC NimbleThumb

The point would be relevant had I blamed him for the loss, I haven’t. What I do have my reservations about is his ability to help us win games which is what a player in his position should be doing.

I understand it is en vogue to be reductive on here but I’m certainly not blaming him for conceding the goals we did. Him apparently having a great game & having no tangible impact on the teams output is concerning though.

pass was offside’, ‘nearly played him in’, ‘could’ve scored if’ typify exactly what I could see coming with this signing - we’re already at the point of woulda, coulda, shoulda. These issues don’t just impact us, does KdB not make passes that are offside, Odegaard not get shots blocked etc.

If you read my posts tonight I acknowledge he played well for himself, I’m saying him playing well for himself & having such a little impact on the game at large isn’t something he should be championed for, he needs to do more.

bosnian_red

. . .
It had a big impact on performance. At least for the first hour before it went to shit. You can't blame Mount or Hojljund for example for Onana passing it right to their play, being incapable of saving anything, our complete disastrous defending for the goals for example. It's not that the system was dysfunctional all game. It dominated play but individual misitakes caused the goals for them. Literally every single goal and the pen was a horrific individual mistake. That's completely independent of Mounts impact on our game or his performance. He could be Ronaldinho today and it wouldn't stop Onana from making that pass or Dalot defending like that for the 1st goal or whatever happened in the other 2 goals. They weren't collective breakdowns. They were individual cock ups.

You're talking about him having no tangible impact on the performance? He had plenty of plays where he had good touches in the middle to evade a press, dribble past a player, play the ball into rashford in space, played a beautiful ball to Hojlund that Hojlund really should've gotten to the end of that we'd all be wanking ourselves silly of if it was any other player that pulled it off. Got in amongst the chances, on another day could've scored but Hannibal blocked his goalbound shot. He was running the game in the first half.

2nd half ok yeah he wasn't in the game as much, coincidentally when he lost influence was also when we lost control. First half he was our main player though.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
The point would be relevant had I blamed him for the loss, I haven’t. What I do have my reservations about is his ability to help us win games which is what a player in his position should be doing.

I understand it is en vogue to be reductive on here but I’m certainly not blaming him for conceding the goals we did. Him apparently having a great game & having no tangible impact on the teams output is concerning though.

pass was offside’, ‘nearly played him in’, ‘could’ve scored if’ typify exactly what I could see coming with this signing - we’re already at the point of woulda, coulda, shoulda. These issues don’t just impact us, does KdB not make passes that are offside, Odegaard not get shots blocked etc.

If you read my posts tonight I acknowledge he played well for himself, I’m saying him playing well for himself & having such a little impact on the game at large isn’t something he should be championed for, he needs to do more.
I'm just not sure of your point here. He did good stuff that, if he carries on doing it, will lead to him being productive. That he did it in a game where the defence looked like they were afraid of their own shadows and our two most senior midfielders played without any kind of composure or leadership in a struggling team, isn't really something to beat him with.