5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

kr0nix

Agreed, though I think you're being harsh. It was another bright cameo, which included a nice run to destabilise Newcastle's defence - which led to Rooney's goal - and then a wonderful cross to Fellaini, who should have scored. However, as soon as he came on, our left side was exposed and we looked terrible defensively, and I don't think that's a coincidence. He's used to not putting a shift in - often playing high on the left, waiting for an opportunity to counter the opposition, which explains why he's inept defensively.

I think Memphis' hesitation on the ball is what causes him lots of problems, and it's good to see that he's looking more confident when he picks the ball up. But right now, LvG is managing him perfectly. Bringing him on against tired opposition and allowing him to express him freely has obviously worked really well in the last two games.
Top post.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Do you go into every player thread after a game? Try not to be a hypocrite about this. I don't think he's particularly good, you're right. Performances like last night won't change that because any good he did going forward was negating by his part in us dropping two points. I won't be engaging with you anymore however as you're going on ignore. Enjoy.
If I were to comment in the Rooney thread the fact he messed up a half chance inside the box wouldn't be my only contribution to it, nor would I downplay anything he did well either. You're not looking at the game objectively and you've already formed an opinion on his performance based on past games before you've even seen him play. That's the difference.

Zoo

Has to learn to keep the ball when we're under pressure.

ivaldo

Thought he was defensively superb today, came and and stopped them creating anything down their left today

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
We just beat Liverpool at Anfield. You're allowed to enjoy it for a couple of hours at least ffs.

ivaldo

Tried to score at the end and lost the ball when we needed to keep possession. You have to defend from the front too.
Didn't do much and didn't get a chance to do much either but the knives are already out. Where's the abuse for Martial losing the ball several times?

Obiorahking_

He is too one dimensional--Cut in and shoot, rinse and repeat. He looks a bit slow as well..

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
There was a counter where he was going to be one on one with the keeper if he could just get past his marker. It's speaks volumes that I had zero confidence a chance was going to come out it.
He didn't disappoint, the defender came out on top quite easily.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
Some of you are just ridiculous. "Cut in and shoot, rinse and repeat" - most goals he's created came from beating his man to the line on their left ffs.

arthurka

Great win but a terrible player. But anyone that watched a bit of Eredivisie could see that Wijnaldum was the guy to buy not that flashy knob.

Litch

Some people on here....give the young lad a break. I stand by the fact his time here went downhill once Shaw was injured. He had some decent performance in Europe and score goals. A bit more patience and less knee jerk, we might have two of the brightest attacking prospects in Europe.

Litch

We might but there's nothing other than hope and blind faith that suggests it. If he plays for anyone else people here would be falling over themselves laughing at him.
Hope and blind faith? What about giving him the benefit of time or don't we do that anymore with young players. Attitudes like that will prevent any potential young player to come here.

JohnnyLaw

Great win but a terrible player. But anyone that watched a bit of Eredivisie could see that Wijnaldum was the guy to buy not that flashy knob.
Anyone with the exception of our scouting department and our manager who actually coached Wijnaldum for 2 years..

acnumber9

Hope and blind faith? What about giving him the benefit of time or don't we do that anymore with young players. Attitudes like that will prevent any potential young player to come here.
He's getting the benefit of time. Me giving an honest opinion on a football forum isn't going to stop players signing for us. What makes you think he could be one of the best young players in Europe? Lingard could be one of the best young players in Europe too but it's bloody unlikely.

Litch

Anyone with the exception of our scouting department and our manager who actually coached Wijnaldum for 2 years..
Exactly. If Wijnaldum was that good, whys he ended up at Newcastle. It's funny cause PSV, Spurs and Liverpool scouts must have Sh1t in there eyes too....

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Calm down. Completely different playing for Newcastle than it is player for a massive club like United with all the pressure it brings. One thing we always hear about Memphis is that he works really hard and is determined to be the best. We need to give him time.

Litch

He's getting the benefit of time. Me giving an honest opinion on a football forum isn't going to stop players signing for us. What makes you think he could be one of the best young players in Europe? Lingard could be one of the best young players in Europe too but it's bloody unlikely.
Benefit of time isn't reflected in the comments on here. Sometimes people forget it's someone's son or brother they are making those comments about. Forums are a reflection of fans opinion and despite of how much money players are making, fans opinions count when your living in the city you play for with your family. PSV weren't talking to Lingard or the last time I looked, he's not been to a WC either.

I'm sure the likes of you weren't saying don't buy him cause he's going to be crap, no more than predicting what's going to happen in the future either. What about support the young players and a bit of patience before writing anyone off before they've even been here one season....

acnumber9

Benefit of time isn't reflected in the comments on here. Sometimes people forget it's someone's son or brother they are making those comments about. Forums are a reflection of fans opinion and despite of how much money players are making, fans opinions count when your living in the city you play for with your family. PSV weren't talking to Lingard or the last time I looked, he's not been to a WC either.

I'm sure the likes of you weren't saying don't buy him cause he's going to be crap, no more than predicting what's going to happen in the future either. What about support the young players and a bit of patience before writing anyone off before they've even been here one season....
I can only judge him on what I've seen. So far he's been useless. Hopefully he gets better but this idea he just needs support and he will one of the best around is nonsense. He needs a lot more ability for that. My words or your words have absolutely no bearing.

acnumber9

the 5 he has, as per the top of this exact page.
That his total assists. How many came from beating a player to the line and crossing? The ones that instantly come to my mind are the cut in and cross against Bruges. The cut in and pass away to Bruges. His pass through the middle against Ipswich and him shooting and hitting the post against Southampton.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
That his total assists. How many came from beating a player to the line and crossing? The ones that instantly come to my mind are the cut in and cross against Bruges. The cut in and pass away to Bruges. His pass through the middle against Ipswich and him shooting and hitting the post against Southampton.
The majority of his goals and assists came from a position coming diagonal from the left either with or without the ball. His goal against PSV is an example.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
He is capable of a good final ball, he's been inconsistent with it at United however; Brugge cross to Fellaini, the almost-winner against Newcastle are a couple examples.

acnumber9

The majority of his goals and assists came from a position coming diagonal from the left either with or without the ball. His goal against PSV is an example.
Which is what was initially said. He's incredibly predictable. As it goes he has no assists outside of games against Bruges or Ipswich.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It seems pretty obvious that he's not as gifted as the likes of Martial and Sterling in terms of close control and being in complete control of the ball in tight situations. However, hopefully what we've seen this season is a bad representation of him in this regard, and even if he's not going to match the above two in the same, he can still do it to the acceptable level required at a club like United, and make the most of his other supposed strengths such as strength, invention, crossing and shooting.

If his season doesn't burst into life before the end of the season, we have an important decision on our hands, whether to put faith in him for next season, or send him out on loan to regain his mojo. Personally, I'd send him out on loan if LVG stays for next season, and give him a shot (in pre season till august) in case we hire a new manager whose system uses him better.

Status
Not open for further replies.