g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Memphis Depay image 7

Memphis Depay Netherlands flag

2015-16 Performances

View full 2015-16 profile

5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

acnumber9

Yeah, people should remember how poor Ozil was for a long time after initially impressing for Arsenal. Plus, the situation at United doesn't seem to be doing any favours to many players.
Ozil had proven himself at the highest level. It's a pointless comparison. If you want like for like there are better ones.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
He's taking a really fecking long time to find his feet. It's not like he's had the odd brilliant game either in the Premier League. Just total shit. Header vs Stoke, misplaced vital pass against Chelsea...just not good enough so far.

Amir

Oil had proven himself at the highest level. It's a pointless comparison. If you want like for like there are better ones.
It's just a name that came to mind. People who can be patient and give players a chance will do that, those who don't won't - no matter what someone says.

acnumber9

It's just a name that came to mind. People who can be patient and give players a chance will do that, those who don't won't - no matter what someone says.
He needs to provide a reason to be patient. If things aren't going well then work hard. Playing shit and not putting effort in is not going to go down well.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Like many others he looked good when started playing for United, but instead of getting better with time he got worst which is nothing but poor managment from LVG.

Playing with fear from making mistake(s), confidence non existing, he looks like he forgot how to play footy overnight.

dichinero

Oil had proven himself at the highest level. It's a pointless comparison. If you want like for like there are better ones.
What percentage of foreign players actually hit it off in their first season? I understand that people are are angry but it's ridiculous when people just don't want to have hope in him succeeding at all. Not all 21 year olds are Messis you know? The boy is here because he has potential, what that means is that he can get better. The club is in a poor state, the tactics are not great, the manager isn't cutting it as we had hoped, are these the conditions for a potentially good player who relies on high confidence levels? I think not.

Our manager persisted with Rooney for months despite him serving up some atrocious football for a £300k United and England captain. And in that time we lost a lot of games that we shouldn't have too, only recently did things improve, not by much mind. Imagine if the manager persisted with Depay in a similar manner, there is every chance that the boy could be performing to the potential that is expected of him.

It's sad to see fans hide behind a young player's poor performances knowing the circumstances of the club especially on the pitch, whereas the so called senior players with decades of experience can serve up rubbish with no complaints cos we knew they had it in them 4 years ago.

He has been poor no doubt but to write him off after a couple of games in his debut season, a bad season for the whole club is just moronic (apologies) by some posters.

acnumber9

What percentage of foreign players actually hit it off in their first season? I understand that people are are angry but it's ridiculous when people just don't want to have hope in him succeeding at all. Not all 21 year olds are Messis you know? The boy is here because he has potential, what that means is that he can get better. The club is in a poor state, the tactics are not great, the manager isn't cutting it as we had hoped, are these the conditions for a potentially good player who relies on high confidence levels? I think not.

Our manager persisted with Rooney for months despite him serving up some atrocious football for a £300k United and England captain. And in that time we lost a lot of games that we shouldn't have too, only recently did things improve, not by much mind. Imagine if the manager persisted with Depay in a similar manner, there is every chance that the boy could be performing to the potential that is expected of him.

It's sad to see fans hide behind a young player's poor performances knowing the circumstances of the club especially on the pitch, whereas the so called senior players with decades of experience can serve up rubbish with no complaints cos we knew they had it in them 4 years ago.

He has been poor no doubt but to write him off after a couple of games in his debut season, a bad season for the whole club is just moronic (apologies) by some posters.
I don't have the data at hand to give you a percentage. Do you know the answer to that question? How many players have a shite first season and then continue to be shite because they just aren't that good?

As bad as Rooney has been he's shown before to be a very good player. He's also done better than Depay this season too. Ultimately Depay hasn't been good enough to keep Jesse Lingard out of the team. And that's nobody's fault but his own. If things aren't going well in an attacking sense then work a bit harder on the pitch. Do that and peopl le may cut him more slack. He isn't owed anything.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Many saying he had a great start. He was good in the two Bruges games, poor against Spurs, decent against Villa. The rest were just Memphis Depay performances. He has not been great for any period.

dichinero

I don't have the data at hand to give you a percentage. Do you know the answer to that question? How many players have a shite first season and then continue to be shite because they just aren't that good?.
Well, his last season suggest that he can put in some pretty good performances for someone so young. You have blatantly failed to ignore that and categorize as a player with no potential to go and assume that he would be poor beyond this season. I would like to know what your thoughts were on him before he joined United. Ozil as mentioned by the other poster was shoe in for the worst piece of transfer business in recent history but has turned it around to potentially be the player of the season. Maybe we should have the same hope for a 22 year old player. Sheeesh, this place!

As bad as Rooney has been he's shown before to be a very good player. He's also done better than Depay this season too. Ultimately Depay hasn't been good enough to keep Jesse Lingard out of the team. And that's nobody's fault but his own. If things aren't going well in an attacking sense then work a bit harder on the pitch. Do that and peopl le may cut him more slack. He isn't owed anything.
When you say before, how many seasons ago are we talking about here? Because the Rooney for the last 2 seasons has been living off past glories and hype, yet many have persisted with him knowing that he is on a severe decline and will not improve in any way but yeah let's write off a player who will still improve by all accounts and has a future on him.

Of course, Rooney will do better given the game time that he has been afforded. Rooney actually hasn't improved, he just hit form like most players, even the poor ones do given the a good run of games, so to compare him on that level to Memphis is unfair.

May I remind you that our very own CR7 was actually bad in his first few months but the quality of the team around him, the manager, the results seriously masked his inadequacies then. If CR7 was in this team as his first, he may be facing the same criticism that Memphis is facing now. Now I'm not saying that they are on the same level but that young players need the right conditions around them.

It's also easy to compare him to Lingard who has grown up around this league all his life and knows what is expected of him, who knows the importance of tracking back that a lot of fans want to see. Even Martial for all is brilliance is really poor at tracking back but that is not the point here. You just don't go from the Dutch league to the PL and suddenly light up the place as a young player.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You win some, you lose some.

Martial came in and immediately ripped it up, in spite of us playing such tumescent football.

Unfortunately Memphis is proving to be a much slower burner.

Just something feels wrong with him, be it the suspicion on his extracurricular activities, or the clear "bling" nature of the guy.

Personally though, it was seeing him play for the dutch and always thinking "this guy aint that good", but upon hearing we'd signed him and hearing his stats, hoping I was wrong!

Whatever happened to him being a free kick taking legend by the way :lol:

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
I hope he doesn't end up being another player who hangs around at United for 5 years before the club accepts he is another shit player who needs to be sold. Wonder how much we could could get for him....£10m?

The Purist

Supports
Arsenal
I said it about two months ago and I stick by it now: he reminds me a lot of Nicklas Bendtner.

acnumber9

Well, his last season suggest that he can put in some pretty good performances for someone so young. You have blatantly failed to ignore that and categorize as a player with no potential to go and assume that he would be poor beyond this season. I would like to know what your thoughts were on him before he joined United. Ozil as mentioned by the other poster was shoe in for the worst piece of transfer business in recent history but has turned it around to potentially be the player of the season. Maybe we should have the same hope for a 22 year old player. Sheeesh, this place!

When you say before, how many seasons ago are we talking about here? Because the Rooney for the last 2 seasons has been living off past glories and hype, yet many have persisted with him knowing that he is on a severe decline and will not improve in any way but yeah let's write off a player who will still improve by all accounts and has a future on him.

Of course, Rooney will do better given the game time that he has been afforded. Rooney actually hasn't improved, he just hit form like most players, even the poor ones do given the a good run of games, so to compare him on that level to Memphis is unfair.

May I remind you that our very own CR7 was actually bad in his first few months but the quality of the team around him, the manager, the results seriously masked his inadequacies then. If CR7 was in this team as his first, he may be facing the same criticism that Memphis is facing now. Now I'm not saying that they are on the same level but that young players need the right conditions around them.

It's also easy to compare him to Lingard who has grown up around this league all his life and knows what is expected of him, who knows the importance of tracking back that a lot of fans want to see. Even Martial for all is brilliance is really poor at tracking back but that is not the point here. You just don't go from the Dutch league to the PL and suddenly light up the place as a young player.
His last season was at such a low level of football it's almost meaningless. Look at the scorers charts in Holland this season. Did you watch him much last season or are you just basing his performances on stats? I had no opinion on him beforehand really. I saw him at the Worild Cup and didn't think much of him but it's a small sample size. This season he's been dreadful. Had he a history of performing at the highest level like Ozil did maybe I'd cut him more slack.

Rooney has been past his best for a while. Even then he's been better than Depay has. The reason he continues to play is because of him proving himself in the past. Depay hasn't done that yet. Lingard's Premier League experience consisted of one half before this season. Do you think you need to have grown up in England to understand that working hard on the pitch is necessary?

Also, the Ronaldo comparisons do you no favours. Ronaldo was both better than Depay has been and also three years younger.

Sir A1ex

He's such a one-trick pony. Apart from cutting in from the left and trying to curl a shot in with his right from just inside the corner of the box, does he have any other ideas at all?

Vanrouge

I agree with this (except for the moronic part, as everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and I even understand the frustration). His confidence is shot, but he doesn't hide. That's a good sign. He still tries to take on players and make things happen. I watched his performance for the U21s against Norwich and his attitude was fine.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
He's such a one-trick pony. Apart from cutting in from the left and trying to curl a shot in with his right from just inside the corner of the box, does he have any other ideas at all?
Nope, none at all.

He is worse than I thought he would be in the summer. When people say that X or Y will come good when they have had time to adjust to the league, those players in this period show some talent during that makes you belief that it's a matter of time. With this guy, the writing is pretty much on the wall. He doesn't have anything in game other than cutting in and trying to take a shot. That worked in a shit league for 26-28 times a season but won't work here.

Another one for China.

Sb_16

Many saying he had a great start. He was good in the two Bruges games, poor against Spurs, decent against Villa. The rest were just Memphis Depay performances. He has not been great for any period.
This.

I'm not in the 'get rid camp' yet but depending on Martial's position ST/LF is another position open to better addition.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I've had enough of this bullshit about giving him time and patience. You give time and patience to players who have shown something. Given you some hope that that once they get it right they might turn out to be United quality. Depay has been complete shite from day 1. He's shown no quality, no ability at all in his time here. I'll give Januzaj and Lingard patience because I've seen glimpses of something that make me think they might at least make it as a squad player here or more in Januzaj's case. I see nothing in Depay at all. I compared him to Young at the start of the season and it appears that was grossly unfair on Young. He's closer to Bebe than he's to Zaha. He's single worst United winger to have racked up this much playing time in my lifetime.

And for the love of god stop bringing Nani and Ronaldo into this. They got time and patience because their immense talent was obvious from day one. Hell, even Anderson showed more in his first season than Depay has.

buckooo1978

Scapegoat-ism

Its your least attractive trait redcafe

Memphis obviously has talent - he showed that at PSV and in the World Cup

Sure his time at Manchester United has been disappointing but theres a lack of patience on here in terms of him

Hes only played a few cameo roles since that awful mistake againdt Stoke and I wonder how anyone expects him to properly find his form when hes barely getting gametime

For what its worth he did put in one great delivery and had a good shot yesterday

Memphis was at best alright yesterday which is a damn sight better than others in the team and our whole team bar De Gea were not at their best

I think Memphis needs time, encouragement and actual game time - he has much more to show

Donut

He has no spring in his step, he just seems so slow and cumbersome. Dutch Zaha is an insult to the real Zaha.

I hope he likes China.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
There is no guarantee that the next manager will bother with him;just like Zaha found out.

And we really lack a proper winger in our system (one who can beat a man, has pace and can cross) . So we'll still definitely need to go to the market for that. Depay is more of a forward, however we have a much better player for that role in Martial. He's game time could get even less next season.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
There is no guarantee that the next manager will bother with him;just like Zaha found out.

And we really lack a proper winger in our system (one who can beat a man, has pace and can cross) . So we'll still definitely need to go to the market for that. Depay is more of a forward, however we have a much better player for that role in Martial. He's game time could get even less next season.
I'm convinced he's either going to be in the bench or sold next season. We will sign two attackers at least in the summer and they will be ahead of him. Not looking good.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I'm convinced he's either going to be in the bench or sold next season. We will sign two attackers at least in the summer and they will be ahead of him. Not looking good.
He's not showing signs of being worth keeping at all.

If Jose comes here, he'd be in big trouble. You simply have to track back with him. Coupled with the fact that Memphis has minimal output too, that spells trouble.

I've mentioned Zaha as an example of someone bought for a large fee, but who didnt show enough to be kept. When a new manager comes in, because he's not the one responsible for the large financial outlay, he has more room to get rid of underperforming players. Its similar to the license that Van Gaal had here when he first arrived.

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
People need to stop investing so much emotions into players. Players come and go and there's no need to play and play players just so they can develop. Just look at his mentality ffs!! Is that the kind of player you want in a CL final when things start going against you? There's a reason players like that never reach anything in their careers.

Red17

I don't even want him on the bench. You bring someone off the bench with the hope of achieving something different, of making an impact. At this point, I doubt anyone feels he will have that impact, just a sense of dread that he is going to f*** up somehow and cost us something at some point. And that he's going to make our blood boil because he is going to be lazy and irresponsible on the pitch.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Nope, none at all.

He is worse than I thought he would be in the summer. When people say that X or Y will come good when they have had time to adjust to the league, those players in this period show some talent during that makes you belief that it's a matter of time. With this guy, the writing is pretty much on the wall. He doesn't have anything in game other than cutting in and trying to take a shot. That worked in a shit league for 26-28 times a season but won't work here.

Another one for China.
:lol:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
You win some, you lose some.

Martial came in and immediately ripped it up, in spite of us playing such tumescent football.

Unfortunately Memphis is proving to be a much slower burner.

Just something feels wrong with him, be it the suspicion on his extracurricular activities, or the clear "bling" nature of the guy.

Personally though, it was seeing him play for the dutch and always thinking "this guy aint that good", but upon hearing we'd signed him and hearing his stats, hoping I was wrong!

Whatever happened to him being a free kick taking legend by the way :lol:
It's weird, but ever since he's come
To England his shot power has looked nowhere near the same, I actually think it might be to do with his boots. He scored pretty much all his goals in Holland with adidas boots, but since he switched to the new ones he's stopped scoring and his form has gone bad. Probably just a weird coincidence but maybe they lack traction/have poor footing .

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's weird, but ever since he's come
To England his shot power has looked nowhere near the same, I actually think it might be to do with his boots. He scored pretty much all his goals in Holland with adidas boots, but since he switched to the new ones he's stopped scoring and his form has gone bad. Probably just a weird coincidence but maybe they lack traction/have poor footing .
Surely he shouldn't be switching away from Adidas the season we go to an Adidas sponsor

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Gotta love how everyone is being shipped out to China by the Caf.
That bizarrely seems to be where the new money is, so it'd be great if we could ship some players there for huge money, rather than the usual 2-3m to Everton or Sunderland.

Varun

Staff
That bizarrely seems to be where the new money is, so it'd be great if we could ship some players there for huge money, rather than the usual 2-3m to Everton or Sunderland.
I doubt too many players in their prime will do a Teixeira and move to China. Someone like Memphis certainly won't.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Surely he shouldn't be switching away from Adidas the season we go to an Adidas sponsor
He went to under armour at the end of the psv season, and that coincided with his form dipping too. Probably just a coincidence

LeftyBlaster

His attitude is what pisses me off the most and makes me think he should be gotten rid of. He's had enough time to know what's required of him and yet every display we've seen of late has been lackadaisical and careless.

togg

He's not a hard worker at the moment. There was a moment when he lost possession yesterday and just jogged back half paced. Rooney came belting down to try to get it back. He doesn't understand this league at all at the present.

Status
Not open for further replies.