5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoaquinJoaquin

Let the guy live. Who cares what he does in his personal time? Criticise him for what he does on the field, not off (unless of course it's something utterly stupid).
Well the problem is, he looks like he doesn't give a toss on the pitch but is more than happy to 'brag' about the luxuries being a footballer brings. That's why he is getting the abuse he is. Remember when Ronaldo was sleeping with prozzies, Paris Hilton and Kim Kardashian? No one cared so much because he was fantastic on the pitch and justified the right to 'brag / live the high life'.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Well the problem is, he looks like he doesn't give a toss on the pitch but is more than happy to 'brag' about the luxuries being a footballer brings. That's why he is getting the abuse he is. Remember when Ronaldo was sleeping with prozzies, Paris Hilton and Kim Kardashian? No one cared so much because he was fantastic on the pitch and justified the right to 'brag / live the high life'.
He's celebrated his birthday... and Valentines day. Nothing wrong with that? He dresses as he pleases, once again, nothing wrong with that. He drives a car that he can afford to own, nothing wrong with that.

However, he resembles a donkey on the field, and we can, rightly, criticise him for that.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Everytime he comes on the pitch I for some reason get excited. Then the ball goes near him and I remember what a clown he is. So frustrating.

Sb_16

Maybe he's finding it difficult to come to terms with the pace and physicality of the league. Maybe he'll come good over the summer. I, personally, don't think he's shown any glimpse of potential at this level. But I'm willing to give him time. The one thing I find annoying is that no matter how good Martial is doing at LF, once they both are on the same pitch, its always Martial that is moved to the least suitable position. No fault of Memphis though, I know.

JoaquinJoaquin

Maybe he's finding it difficult to come to terms with the pace and physicality of the league. Maybe he'll come good over the summer. I, personally, don't think he's shown any glimpse of potential at this level. But I'm willing to give him time. The one thing I find annoying is that no matter how good Martial is doing at LF, once they both are on the same pitch, its always Martial that is moved to the least suitable position. No fault of Memphis though, I know.
I think this more down to trying to get Memphis settled down into a position, We all know that Martial is capable either side (although he is much better at LF i agree).

dichinero

Goodness me, it was his birthday. He is allowed to have a life you know? It's not like he tweeted a picture of his RR 15 mins after the match. Which is more pathetic, the fact that newspapers have nothing to write about or that fans are enjoying click bait.

jem

Is he supposed to sit at home and wallow over his shit form?
No, but celebrating in such a garish way after a huge loss isn't the brightest idea. Ask yourself this: could you imagine the likes of Keane, Scholes, Van Nistelrooy, or even Beckham doing that (particularly if they and their team were mired in a slump like this?) That level of professionalism is what we need at this club.

I'm one of those who thinks Memphis needs another season before we can definitively rule him a bust, but my god, he doesn't half come across as a flash gimp.

dichinero

No, but celebrating in such a garish way after a huge loss isn't the brightest idea. Ask yourself this: could you imagine the likes of Keane, Scholes, Van Nistelrooy, or even Beckham doing that (particularly if they and their team were mired in a slump like this?) That level of professionalism is what we need at this club.

I'm one of those who thinks Memphis needs another season before we can definitively rule him a bust, but my god, he doesn't half come across as a flash gimp.
Do you know what they were up to after matches? I think not.

jem

Goodness me, it was his birthday. He is allowed to have a life you know? It's not like he tweeted a picture of his RR 15 mins after the match. Which is more pathetic, the fact that newspapers have nothing to write about or that fans are enjoying click bait.
If I was in the middle of an abysmal run of form and had just seen my team lose a match that may well seal the fate of the manager and the team's CL hopes, I'd probably opt for a low-key celebration with my girlfriend (but that's just me, I guess.)

jem

Do you know what they were up to after matches? I think not.
No, hence the use of the word 'imagine.' However, I'd be willing to wager (were it possible to know for sure,) that it didn't involve gimpy birthday celebrations.

El Zoido

It doesn't give the best impression though does it? Makes it seem like he doesn't care.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
If I was in the middle of an abysmal run of form and had just seen my team lose a match that may well seal the fate of the manager and the team's CL hopes, I'd probably opt for a low-key celebration with my girlfriend (but that's just me, I guess.)
To be honest, if I had as much money as he has I probably wouldn't give a feck what people thought of me.

Whether what he's doing looks good or not, there's nothing particularly wrong with it. Sitting at home is not going to make him a better footballer which is ultimately what we care about or want from him.

dichinero

It's only because of the presence of social media we are acting like this. You wouldn't have known if no one took pictures of it.

JackXX

I don't particularly care what he does off the pitch that's up to him but don't act like these things don't matter. You have to be 100% committed to be one of the best players in the world and he's prancing about acting the part off the pitch whilst playing the part of a championship player when he laces his boots up. He wouldn't look out of place playing for Villa. Fair play to him he's earned a big contract and he is living his life but I don't see a lot of hope for him in being a United player unless his attitude changes.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I don't particularly care what he does off the pitch that's up to him but don't act like these things don't matter. You have to be 100% committed to be one of the best players in the world and he's prancing about acting the part off the pitch whilst playing the part of a championship player when he laces his boots up. He wouldn't look out of place playing for Villa. Fair play to him he's earned a big contract and he is living his life but I don't see a lot of hope for him in being a United player unless his attitude changes.
Other than celebrate his birthday, what has he done to cause this outrage?

RedStarUnited

He's celebrated his birthday... and Valentines day. Nothing wrong with that? He dresses as he pleases, once again, nothing wrong with that. He drives a car that he can afford to own, nothing wrong with that.

However, he resembles a donkey on the field, and we can, rightly, criticise him for that.
As a more dramatized example - If my kid is hurt because a policeman didn't do their job correctly, id be livid If i then heard that guy was out partying the day after and living his life.

Football isnt as serious as the example above, but it is....for some.

JackXX

Other than celebrate his birthday, what has he done to cause this outrage?
There's no outrage. I do find it a bit odd to see someone with the attitude of Ronaldo when Lingard is keeping him on the bench however. I don't think there's anything wrong with celebrating his birthday but the more I see of him the more I question his mentality and if he will make it here. He looks a bit too comfortable.

RedStarUnited

There's no outrage. I do find it a bit odd to see someone with the attitude of Ronaldo when Lingard is keeping him on the bench however. I don't think there's anything wrong with celebrating his birthday but the more I see of him the more I question his mentality and if he will make it here. He looks a bit too comfortable.
Yeah, whenever he comes on the pitch I dont see the "Im going to prove my worth today" look. I just see a guy who seems content with the 5 minutes or so he is getting.

For all the talking he does, great players are not getting benched at his age. He is not 18/19 he is 22 now. If he was as fierce a competitor as he makes himself out to be, he would be livid at the fact that Martial is shining so much more than him, playing in his preferred position.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
As a more dramatized example - If my kid is hurt because a policeman didn't do their job correctly, id be livid If i then heard that guy was out partying the day after and living his life.

Football isnt as serious as the example above, but it is....for some.
In a more realistic example, if an employee for a business you have shares in filed some paper work incorrectly and you spotted him out celebrating his birthday on the weekend, would you berate him for it?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Social media are the worst invention ever.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

"Professionalism", it's non-sense. If he was celebrating the night before a game, I could understand people being pissed off but other than that this has no impact on how he'll perform going forward.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
How dare he drive an expensive car, go shopping for groceries, wear clothes of poor taste and have a life outside of football duties.

Dear Memphis,

You've been bad at football for a couple of months or so now so you're not allowed one of those any more. You've lost the right to it until you score goals again.

Yours Sincerely,

British Media (and LAD culture)

Tap tap boooooooooooom innit. Oh and boooooobs bruv.

PS Your WAG is flavour of the week
:rolleyes:

jem

"Professionalism", it's non-sense. If he was celebrating the night before a game, I could understand people being pissed off but other than that this has no impact on how he'll perform going forward.
I'll repeat: he comes off as a gimp. I won't care about it if/when he does the business on the pitch.

eggwithsideburns

I was excited when we signed him but the more he has played the more I'm not fussed any more and that picture of him wearing a grill or whatever its called didn't do him any favours either. Its like you get everything that comes with a world class star apart from the world class part. Still I hope he gets more playing time because he can be a exciting player to watch.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Bit harsh to be having a pop over him going out for his birthday. And I say that as his biggest critic.

Anyways, Robbo, Keane, Sharpie, Bruce, McGrath, Whiteside lived for their nights out :D

Winrar

I'll repeat: he comes off as a gimp. I won't care about it if/when he does the business on the pitch.
so he comes across as a gimp because he celebrates his birthday. boo fecking hoo.

there are loads of things to criticize memphis for but celebrating on his birthday isn't one of them, regardless of whether he lost or not in a previous match.

Kostur

海尔的老板
so he comes across as a gimp because he celebrates his birthday. boo fecking hoo.

there are loads of things to criticize memphis for but celebrating on his birthday isn't one of them, regardless of whether he lost or not in a previous match.
Agree with that.

That fecking awful pink jacket is a sackable offence though surely?

Kopral Jono

Let the guy live. Who cares what he does in his personal time? Criticise him for what he does on the field, not off (unless of course it's something utterly stupid).
Well said. Being a complete footballing fraud on the pitch has very little to do with anything off it. Ronaldo did rather well for us in spite of his poolside orgies, did he.

mattsville

He has massive potential, the kind of player we should be signing, but he needs to be handled correctly and quickly to make it here.

NotQuiteManc

Weird to criticise a player over something like these. From what I have read so far, he is the type to always strive to improve his game, evident in last season's performance after the world cup. He changed his attitude as well for both off and on the pitch.

This season, it doesn't quite work well for him (yet, I hope) but we haven't heard anything that resembles bad attitude from him, off pitch wise. Yes, I know his performance doesn't quite match up to par yet, and lacking the discipline to work defensively but he is getting there.

I just find it weird people find time to criticise him over such petty matters, whereas player like Mane who is lauded here, supposedly already letting his current team and previous team by missing/late to team meetings/trainings, which should be the bigger thing to concern over, attitude-wise.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Are you people for real? Of course a player is entitled to a birthday bash.

But let's not act like Fergie wouldn't be on the verge of murdering him for pulling a stunt like that, a couple of hours after a result like last saturday. And let's definitely not pretend like that would be harsh or unfair to Memphis, and we really should just leave him alone and let him live.

It's not the first time either, this whole season there has been a pattern of silly and stupid behaviour, with literally feck all in performances to compensate. He's struggling with the fame, and he's struggling with the high demands of English top football on top of that. I really feel for him, because it's been a huge step for him and I can imagine how difficult and confusing it can be at such a young age. It's also not his fault that we have been so incredibly shite.

But he really needs to get his ass out of his head and get his shit together, pronto.

XdanielredX

I don't get when people get annoyed with a footballer when they aren't in the best form or the team lost.

"How dare they go out for drinks! United lost on the weekend!"

Wtf is he supposed to do? sit in his house all week in the dark and talk to no one?

They still go to training every day, you can't just control people seeing people in their lives because United lost a match.

Status
Not open for further replies.