Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
His league form is extremely worrying. I don't quite expect him to perform like he did against the midgets but his attacking contribution is basically zero. Needs to figure out a way to beat full backs without needing to be in acres of space to run into.

Golden Nugget

Wasn't great - but wingers are always going to be inconsistent. The difference to his poor game today Compared to earlier this season was huge - things didn't work wel for him attacking wise but he kept his head up and worked very hard defensively. (To be fair to him, none of the attack did well for most of the game - Watford were very well organized and worked very hard)

Two turning points for me was when he made a poor pass near the end and didn't let his head drop, and his ability to waste time. The Chelsea mistake seems to be the turning point and he was come out as a better player ever since.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I think some people here expect too much of him. Hes young, and in his first year in a new league, of course he is going to be inconsistent. Actually, singling out any player after this game seems harsh, since the collective performance was poor by pretty much everyone.

The only player who was really good was Schneiderlin. MOTM by a mile

Red_Beans

Memphis is a player on the up. Wasn't a great game last night but he contributed defensively and didn't let his head drop. The difference between his performance last night and earlier in the season is very encouraging

dasty

People on this forum are trying their best to beat down on Depay as much as possible. I mean he had an alright game but reading the comments in here you would think he had a shocker. There are 2 sides to a game - he didn't do well offensively but his defensive effort was good.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
Average performance, good effort at least. Was a bit too predictable but kept trying things, though can rely on the flashy stuff too much. His FKs have been atrocious though. Can't remember him ever even hitting the target for us, never mind scoring one.

Norris

Two turning points for me was when he made a poor pass near the end and didn't let his head drop, and his ability to waste time. The Chelsea mistake seems to be the turning point and he was come out as a better player ever since.
Interesting point. I actually felt it was the time when he played for the U21s (The game Keane score 5 in and I think it was right after that Chelsea game too). I expected him to be lazy and not show enough importance to the match, but I was wrong. He treated it with the same sort of respect, he would any game. He's done a lot better since then. Psychologically, he has upped his game massively.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Average performance, good effort at least. Was a bit too predictable but kept trying things, though can rely on the flashy stuff too much. His FKs have been atrocious though. Can't remember him ever even hitting the target for us, never mind scoring one.
The one that hit Martial's head was brilliant and the keeper wouldn't have saved it

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Wasn't great - but wingers are always going to be inconsistent. The difference to his poor game today Compared to earlier this season was huge - things didn't work wel for him attacking wise but he kept his head up and worked very hard defensively. (To be fair to him, none of the attack did well for most of the game - Watford were very well organized and worked very hard)

Absolutely agree. Even though not everything is coming off but the general attitude and spirit is completely different. It's good to see and shows that he's improving a lot

Golden Nugget

Interesting point. I actually felt it was the time when he played for the U21s (The game Keane score 5 in and I think it was right after that Chelsea game too). I expected him to be lazy and not show enough importance to the match, but I was wrong. He treated it with the same sort of respect, he would any game. He's done a lot better since then. Psychologically, he has upped his game massively.
From memory, the u21 game came after the Chelsea game - but I may be wrong. I'm absolutely loving how he pulled himself together after that - I hope he continues to improve as he has a lot of potential.

Halftrack

Anyone know the exact rule on this? To me it looks like Memphis us obstructing
It's only considered obstruction if you're not in control of the ball (or unable to gain control of it). IIRC, Memphis was the one who stopped the ball there, and is simply using his strength and balance to prevent the Watford players from reaching it. As long as he's not using any dirty tricks, such as elbowing, pinching, stomping, hip-checking (to borrow a hockey term) or something, he's operating within the rules.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Arsenal on Sunday. First half from wide left. Fizzed through the crowd of players. Forced a good save from Cech.

Viral United

I must be watching different game than,
I think he has played well and try to force issue which most of players not able to do it.
His final ball didn't come off but he was very positive in game which is good.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Besides playing better overall, the most noticeable thing for me has been his improved work-rate. Really came through when we needed to protect the lead last night, kept the ball so well.

Gerald G

His final ball wasn't great as was his shooting but his defensive effort and work rate was a pleasure to see.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Its nice to see hes getting a little more time in this thread now and thats because he has picked up and improved on where he was earlier in the campain. His defending in particular has come on tho I still dont feel thats natural to him. Hopefully against West Brom we see him pick up another level again and continue kicking on.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Im really worried about his shooting for us, his shooting used to be his biggest strength before this season, was it free kicks, long range, cutting inside like Robben, but now most of them go completely over or just wide, poor free kicks as well. Okay maybe they set up the wall better in the PL than in the Eredivisie, but most of his free kicks arent even a bit threatening. Wondering if has got something to do with his new boots or the PL ball, seems unlikely but it's really strange.

dichinero

He has been putting in more matured performances. Work rate and attitude has been solid.

Bwuk

He has an average game and people want him dropped after being arguably Man of the Match for the last few games.

Stupidity at it's finest.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
thanks
It's only considered obstruction if you're not in control of the ball (or unable to gain control of it). IIRC, Memphis was the one who stopped the ball there, and is simply using his strength and balance to prevent the Watford players from reaching it. As long as he's not using any dirty tricks, such as elbowing, pinching, stomping, hip-checking (to borrow a hockey term) or something, he's operating within the rules.

Shark

@NotShark
The patchy form we're seeing right now is what most would have expected him to be like from the beginning of his career here. He's still only 22. Matches of brilliance, mixed with performances last night where he's still looked sharp enough to stay in the team. His form for the majority of the season however has been diabolical, but let's hope that stream of piss is now behind him and we keep seeing this Depay.

Norris

I think it's the only one though. Which is annoying. Watching his highlight reel from last season, he's scored a good few free kicks, and hit the target with many. It's weird how he's lost that so far.
In those highlight reels, the quality of the keepers was very average and the positioning was also weird. Many of his freekicks just sneaked in through (Except maybe the last one he scored for PSV, that was a belter, but keeper's positioning din't help). He hasn't lost that touch so far. He's probably not got enough opportunities so far. And I think in terms of FK's, Mata is still better in terms of accuracy. Memphis for pace.

Art Vandelay

I wouldn't be surprised if he was left feeling a bit disheartened today anyway. Finally finds form and then finds himself back on the bench.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
I wouldn't be surprised if he was left feeling a bit disheartened today anyway. Finally finds form and then finds himself back on the bench.
He wasn't very good the last match. He excelled vs Mydtjylland and was good in a team effort type of way vs Arsenal. I wouldn't see him as someone who definitely needs to play every game yet.

Ludens the Red

He wasn't very good the last match. He excelled vs Mydtjylland and was good in a team effort type of way vs Arsenal. I wouldn't see him as someone who definitely needs to play every game yet.
Yeah, let's not start acting as if he's undroppable. Playing well against Midgetland doesn't guarantee you a long term place in the team, as you said he worked well in a team effort way against Arsenal but against Watford back to the Memphis of old.

He's had a rest and now we go to Anfield, let's see how he handles that.

binary bot
he did nothing but you can't expect anything in those circumstances with us moving the ball about like it's a medicine ball. the decision to drop him today was a cowardly one from LvG. No chance to play into form at all. At least he offers some degree of creativity.

Sylar

Should have come on a long time before he did. But then its madness, we bring him on but dont bring on Fellaini, the one time it would be acceptable.

Classical Mechanic

We has dropped because he can't cope with this kind of game. He would have made no difference. West Brom were tight and aggressive and depay's lack of pace of the mark and ability to operate in tight spaces is beyond poor. He even threw a false throwing, maybe he wants to be Nani after all. This guy would destroy the Italian league, alas, we are in England.

Last edited:

JoaquinJoaquin

Memphis is a confidence player, and the problem with Van Gaal is that considering he is meant to be his 'mentor', he has managed Memphis terribly in the fact that when he has played well and got full confidence LVG seems to be drop him again and disrupting his rhythm. I'm still very disappointed in Memphis generally, but he hasn't been helped, maybe a different manager can make more of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.