5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Classical Mechanic

Whilst he should be better, I want to judge him under a new manager with a consistent formation (much like with Morgan and some of our other players).

I do think we will see an improvement when Shaw returns. I truly do believe that. But mostly when a new manager comes in that can help him improve.
It could do I suppose. We are happy to accept that LVG has destroyed everyone else. That said, Memphis seems to have carte blanche to do whatever he wants under LVG. I mean if you miss a penalty you lose that privilege whilst Depay constantly hits shots and free kicks into the Outer Hebrides yet he still does it every game.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I do not blame him for giving away that Penalty. Could have happened to anybody else and seasoned defenders have done a lot of more stupid things in the own box.
However, he has been atrocious again going Forward. Completely useless.
Martial Needs better Players around him.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I do not blame him for giving away that Penalty. Could have happened to anybody else and seasoned defenders have done a lot of more stupid things in the own box.
However, he has been atrocious again going Forward. Completely useless.
Martial Needs better Players around him.
Except that time he put Martial through and he couldn't control the ball.
He didn't play well but he wasn't atrocious. Infact he also created the other chance for Rashford too

Last edited:

Perrick Dubois

You sum him up perfectly. He just doesn't have enough for the top level.
"At the moment", lets hope. I want to see him grow because I think there is talent there, he needs to wise up a little bit though that is for sure. Get out of his own ego a little bit and get into the mode of always wanting to prove and improve.

foolsgold

First season is hard, lots of adjustments, he'd look great in a winning team.

Bones of a great player are there. Judge him in 24 months.

Classical Mechanic

Except that time he put Martial through and he couldn't control the ball.
He didn't play well but he wasn't atrocious. Infact he also created the other chance for Rashford too
Is he worth sacrificing Martial on the left for though?

Martial, Rashford/Depay/ Lingard would be more effective IMO.

Sir A1ex

I think that's the key.

Back in the good days we had the luxury of bringing players (signings or youngsters) into a winning environment. These days they are surrounded by shit and everybody is looking at them to make the difference.

It's no coincidence that pretty much every signing or youngster brought in for the last couple of years, bar literally one or two, has ultimately disappointed to some degree.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I think that's the key.

Back in the good days we had the luxury of bringing players (signings or youngsters) into a winning environment. These days they are surrounded by shit and everybody is looking at them to make the difference.

It's no coincidence that pretty much every signing or youngster brought in for the last couple of years, bar literally one or two, has ultimately disappointed to some degree.
Also no one knows what system we use. Its confusing even for us fans to understand what LVG has in mind let alone the players who have to implement this rubbish.

At this point I still believe United should buy a quality left winger if they can. However we shouldn't sell Memphis either.

Jeffthered

And this is what as a United fan, I find so sad and extremely worrying. Buy a player for £25m, and judge him in TWO YEARS! Within that time we hope that he plays well? Develops? The guy is a poor player. He has sporadic moments when he is slightly above average. That does not mean he is a world-beater in the making. I think he is awful, no brain at all.

This isn't some youngster coming through the ranks and he doesn't carry himself like one. He arrived as an arrogant player, thinking he is the real deal. He looks a country mile away from being close to being a top player and some fans continue to 'wait' for his talent to be realised.

Gibson, Kagawa, Powell, Obertan, Nani, Anderson.... none of them have been good enough for where United should be. Memphis Depay has already joined this motley crew. Mata and Fellani (how embarrassing is he going to continue to be). These players want for nothing and are worshipped when they put on a United shirt. And some of them simply are not good enough. Paul Scholes spoke of standards last night, and he was absolutely spot-on. We are not a flamin' charity, or some 'development project'.

Players aren't good enough right now and the only question in my mind is how quickly can we move them on, because they (as it seems some do not realise...) are taking the club backwards.

Other big clubs change managers and change players.. and they don't capitulate the way we seem to be as a club. let's stop being so sympathetic. We must have played 40 odd games this season and people are STILL suggesting that some players will somehow become some sort of superstar. We have many excellent young players who have emerged in the last couple of seasons. But we also have many players who simply aren't good enough to be wearing a first XI shirt at Manchester United. Fact.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Is he worth sacrificing Martial on the left for though?

Martial, Rashford/Depay/ Lingard would be more effective IMO.
And who plays through the middle? Earlier in the season we were saying is it worth not playing him through the middle when he was playing so well there...
Anyway my point wasn't that Memphis was great, it was that he was not atrocious, and yes based on that he created our best two chances last night... If there is one player I would want on the end of it, in the middle it would be Martial

Stacks

Whilst he should be better, I want to judge him under a new manager with a consistent formation (much like with Morgan and some of our other players).

I do think we will see an improvement when Shaw returns. I truly do believe that. But mostly when a new manager comes in that can help him improve.
Van Gaal knows him and has worked with him before. If anyone should mentor him it should be Van Gaal.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I have said this for a long time now - he's an average player who will do well sometimes against average to below average opposition. He's not a clever footballer and he isn't even pacey.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
He needs to put his head down and work his socks off during summer to lose a bit of weight and improve his agility. The talent is there but he really needs to display it soon or he'll be in China next summer.

Sylar

Van Gaal knows him and has worked with him before. If anyone should mentor him it should be Van Gaal.
Maybe, or maybe a new man will give him something new to learn / something to take his game to the next level. Maybe Memphis is too comfy with LVG and a new manager might give him something else to think about.

If Memphis was the one off situation for United, I would maybe agree,but theres too many players who look like theyve regressed or similar once LVG gets his philosophy towards them.

Classical Mechanic

And who plays through the middle? Earlier in the season we were saying is it worth not playing him through the middle when he was playing so well there...
Anyway my point wasn't that Memphis was great, it was that he was not atrocious, and yes based on that he created our best two chances last night... If there is one player I would want on the end of it, in the middle it would be Martial
Martial's decline in form has coincided with Depay playing wide left. Martial was our best player and a genuine threat against Premier League teams when he was wide left. Since Rooney has got injured and Depay has taken the left forward position Martial has become invisible.

I would rather play Depay as centre forward. We need our most dangerous attacking player in his best position surely?

Depay would do less damage defensively playing number 9 too.

Failing that play Rashford central and Lingard wide right. Drop Depay altogether.

I just find it crazy that Martial has been shifted from his best position and then Rashford from the CF position where he scored 4 in 2 just to accommodate Depay who can't produce against top opposition.

MoskvaRed

I'd give him next season to show what he can do after a season of adaptation and under (hopefully) less shambolic management. Although the signs don't look good and, if I had to predict, I'd expect him to be back playing in a minor league in 2017-2018.

Bojan11

I don't think he is out of form. The worrying thing is he performs well against awful teams. He just is out of his depth.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet

Is this a joke? We need to start being more ruthless with our transfers. No more allowing players years to "prove themselves" and definitely not when you're paying 25m for them.

RonaldoVII

Is this a joke? We need to start being more ruthless with our transfers. No more allowing players years to "prove themselves" and definitely not when you're paying 25m for them.
25m is nothing in today's market. If we want a fully polished player then we won't get one for that price, it'll be double at least for an attacker.

NinjaFletch

I don't think he is out of form. The worrying thing is he performs well against awful teams. He just is out of his depth.
Sadly I'm starting to think theres some truth in this.

Even when he kills a right back, like he did Rømer or whatever the feck his name was, it doesn't really scream effortless brilliance in the same way that it does when better players do, it looked like he was having to try very, very, hard and having to bring out the whole repertoire of flicks and tricks just to get past him. Of course, it came off for him that day,

But aside from that, his end product is just awful. His shooting of late has threatened the linesman more than the goalkeeper, and considering most of his game is based on cutting in and shooting thats a huge worry. And why he's not last in line for free-kicks at the minute I don't know.

He should probably get another year, but he can hardly complain if he doesn't, and when a better player in Januzaj is currently doing absolutely feck all then I'd be inclined to get rid to be honest.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
George Best once said of David Beckham;

"He can't kick with his left foot, he cannot head a ball, he cannot tackle and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that he's all right."

He must be spinning in his grave watching Memphis wearing the #7.
The kid is Nani in disguise.
His shooting is embarrassing, actually cringeworthy.
I still don't know why this is constantly used to insult players when trying to call them nothing players.

Litch

If the lad arrived like Ronaldo in that team but was performing in this way, then fair comment but come on, who can play even half decent in this team? Even Martial is going the other way.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Bizarre really. Nani was our player of the year and far better than Memphis even on his bad days. Also performed against big clubs.

Devil may care

I'm starting to doubt he's going to make it here, he should start next season on the bench as Martial is better in that LWF position than him.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Everyone has been shit, we are collectively shit.

Litch

He needs 3 years to settle here? You do know he's 22
No, just everyone's been crap with the exception of DDG. No point picking out individual performances as it's impossible to play with any confidence when collectively we've been so poor. This is not a Ronaldo scenario joining a team full of quality....if he joined this team at 18, he would have been slaughtered on here

iKeano

I still don't know why this is constantly used to insult players when trying to call them nothing players.
Because to many of us, Nani was a very frustrating, underperforming show-pony with delusions of grandeur and little or no end product 90% of the time.
His rare moments of decent play were too little and too sparse... Just like Memphis to date.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I don't think he'll reach Nani levels. I don't think it's a form thing either. If we played a pub team tomorrow, I'd expect him to have a good game. His game just has serious deficiencies.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Because to many of us, Nani was a very frustrating, underperforming show-pony with delusions of grandeur and little or no end product 90% of the time.
His rare moments of decent play were too little and too sparse... Just like Memphis to date.
Under SAF Nani registered 56 assists in 5 seasons, his end product was alright.

iKeano

In a team with Ronaldo, Tevez, Berbatov & a potent Rooney.
He just never consistently performed for me, a trait of Memphis this season.

Perrick Dubois

By "many of us", you actually mean a few who have no idea what they are talking about? Memphis has been here 8 months, lets revisit this when he's been here for 5 years and has had the success that Nani had. The short term'ism on some players is absolutely mind boggling.

iKeano

By "many of us", you actually mean a few who have no idea what they are talking about? Memphis has been here 8 months, lets revisit this when he's been here for 5 years and has had the success that Nani had. The short term'ism on some players is absolutely mind boggling.
I clearly state that I'm judging Memphis "to date" & "his season". Imagine having differing opinions.... Staggering!

Perrick Dubois

I clearly state that I'm judging Memphis "to date" & "his season". Imagine having differing opinions.... Staggering!
That isn't a difference of opinion, nowhere did I offer a contrary version to what you think about Memphis other than giving time to under performing young players is probably a better solution than to jettison. Unless you are referring to the notion that to "many of us Nani was a very frustrating, underperforming show-pony with delusions of grandeur and little or no end product 90% of the time" which I disagree with. But that is not in connection with what I have quoted.

montpelier

Memphis needs to improve by about a million per cent to deserve comparison with Nani - perhaps not a million tbf, but the reasoning behind the exaggeration is pretty sound

MD is still a fair way behind Anderson for number of decent games too

Ludens the Red

And this is what as a United fan, I find so sad and extremely worrying. Buy a player for £25m, and judge him in TWO YEARS! Within that time we hope that he plays well? Develops? The guy is a poor player. He has sporadic moments when he is slightly above average. That does not mean he is a world-beater in the making. I think he is awful, no brain at all.

This isn't some youngster coming through the ranks and he doesn't carry himself like one. He arrived as an arrogant player, thinking he is the real deal. He looks a country mile away from being close to being a top player and some fans continue to 'wait' for his talent to be realised.

Gibson, Kagawa, Powell, Obertan, Nani, Anderson.... none of them have been good enough for where United should be. Memphis Depay has already joined this motley crew. Mata and Fellani (how embarrassing is he going to continue to be). These players want for nothing and are worshipped when they put on a United shirt. And some of them simply are not good enough. Paul Scholes spoke of standards last night, and he was absolutely spot-on. We are not a flamin' charity, or some 'development project'.

Players aren't good enough right now and the only question in my mind is how quickly can we move them on, because they (as it seems some do not realise...) are taking the club backwards.

Other big clubs change managers and change players.. and they don't capitulate the way we seem to be as a club. let's stop being so sympathetic. We must have played 40 odd games this season and people are STILL suggesting that some players will somehow become some sort of superstar. We have many excellent young players who have emerged in the last couple of seasons. But we also have many players who simply aren't good enough to be wearing a first XI shirt at Manchester United. Fact.
Agree with this, we need to start being more ruthless with players, incidentally a great characteristic of Diego Simeone (whom I'd love to see here). He's not afraid to pay big for a player and get rid by the next transfer window if the player isn't pulling his weight and it's wielded massive success at Atletico.

But its the whole "United give people time" thing rearing it's ugly head again. Memphis Depay is not a 17 year old amateur who cost peanuts. He's 22 and he cost us almost 30 million and he's been a spectacular failure.
I don't think Memphis is a patch on Nani's first season here, which tells you how horrific Memphis has been. What worries me most is something you touched on, the complete lack of brain, that to go with him being incredibly slow, immobile and having an ego the size of Cristiano Ronaldo.

It's pretty clear we're dealing with a classic case of a flat track bully, I hope the new manager comes in and cuts our losses, this obsession with waiting and waiting and waiting for people to come good has cost us over the years. We saw it with Nani and Anderson, Kagawa, it's now happening with Fellaini.
Sometimes things don't work out, just let it go, move on.

Big clubs don't do this sort of shite, you saw how ruthless Barcelona were with Zlatan, Atletico with Martinez and Cerci. Real Madrid with an endless list.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I have said this for a long time now - he's an average player who will do well sometimes against average to below average opposition. He's not a clever footballer and he isn't even pacey.
Agreed 100%

He did well against Brugge, Midgetland & Shrewsbury.
If memory serves me correct he also scored a goal against PSV (in the first game, I think).
Apart from the these games, I can't think of anything special he has done.

Put it another way. Ronaldo and Rooney at 18 years old were better than Memphis at 22 years old.
The worrying thing for me is that I have seen nothing - and I emphasis the word nothing - from Memphis to suggest he is going to be great.

Sure, if we play League One teams, he'll look great, but against EPL teams/defenders, he is ineffectual.
At present, I feel his level is that of a Championship player. He may get better, but I don't think he will.

In saying all of this, LVG has a history of making attackers look bad, so perhaps Jose can get more out of him.

Skills

Snitch
In a team with Ronaldo, Tevez, Berbatov & a potent Rooney.
He just never consistently performed for me, a trait of Memphis this season.
Well if that's what many believe and that's their reasoning, it's clearly not a very knowledgeable proportion of the fan base.

Nani's best actually came once both Ronaldo and Tevez had left. He got 10 goals 20 assists in our 19th title season, when even Rooney went AWOL for 2/3 of the season.

Kaos

I'd give him another season under a better manager to prove himself. If he ends up being underwhelming again then I'd probably pre-emptively ship him away by '17-18'

Status
Not open for further replies.